Next GM/HC

MyFavoriteMartin28

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol if thst is true think sbout how dumb woody is--hey gm candidates come work in new york but you hsve to keep rex and if rex fsils youre both out. I guess thst explains while idzik wont fire rex!

It's completely possible. I'm pretty sure it wasn't phrased like that - but perhaps part of the screening process was making sure they were ok being tied to Rex and evaluated along side him. would explain why they picked a GM no one else wanted.

Not sure why people feel Idzik will get a chance to hire a HC. The conversation and understanding that if it didn't work between Rex and Idzik, both were gone could and probably did take place on the job interview.

If that where the case Idzik would 100x more incompetent than I think he is now. The only excuse for our pathetic roster(other than his ability to draft) is he wants Rex, who he shouldn't have been saddled with gone. If he went into this season thinking he was on the hot seat and thought this roster was competitive he needs to get back to the accounting department.

I'm floored after this press conference. I have defended this guy with almost every word I've posted on this board. After this press conference.... He's gotta go. Not firing Rex after what we have seen the last 7 weeks. Unacceptable. Mentioning the 21 point lead vs Green Bay???? WTF? Giving evasive, bad politician answers to direct questions.... This guy is clueless regarding how NY sports work.

It's truly sad to see what Woody Johnson has done to this fan base. We are the most passionate and loyal fans in the NFL. He had 2 jobs when he bought this team. Get us our own stadium and make this a team we can be proud of. I thought when Hess was out of the picture we were finally going to get a fair shake. Instead it's worse.

That being said, I see no way he's ever selling this team. So, on to the question at hand.

The big question is regarding if Idzik gets a chance to hire his own coach. I think he will but I hope he doesn't.

If Idzik stays he needs to land Gruden. They've worked together before and it would reinvigorate this fan base. He'd bring discipline and an awful lot of football smarts to this team. He knows how to create a distinctive culture. Only issue is I haven't seen him develop a young QB. Find him another Gannon, and he will be fine. But those kinda guys come along rarely. Those last few years in Tampa he was lost. Scary, in the long term.

If Woody cleans house totally... Broadway Bradway, Sexy Rexy, Idiotzk... Or whatever y'all call him...

I say we back up a dump truck full of cash to Nick Sabans Alabama compound. Total control, LOTS OF $$$$, the bright lights of NYC, a chance to dethrone his buddy in New England, a handful of young talented guys to build around like our bookend DE's, a top 5 draft pick ( maybe a number 1) and a f#%k ton of cap room.

I don't feel any sympathy for Rex, he has been given every opportunity for 6 seasons. He's not a head coach period. But I have a bit of sympathy for what Idzik inherited. It was a mess and he just can't get his hands around it. But this is New York, you get one strike, not three.

good stuff man, well said I totally agree

I think it's more that it would seem the purpose of hiring Harbaugh, from your POV, is that he's proven. Except he's only proven as a HC (both the positive traits and the negative). He is unproven as a GM.

no, like i said only way to get him. willing to roll them dice for a coach of his calibre

I don't understand what people are so afraid of - I mean, it's not like he could possibly be any worse at talent evaluation and drafting than the current regime is.

sick of cap guys as GMs. need someone who has an eye for talent. harbaugh knew to switch smith out for kaepernick. good enough for me.

We'll never guess who's next. Woody is gonna hire another outside firm again, and they are gonna find us some nobody on the cheap. No chance we get someone we like. Its a Merry Go Round of losers that come in, kick poop around and never actually clean it up.. then back to the drawing board again in 3-5 years. 

no, like i said only way to get him. willing to roll them dice for a coach of his calibre

That doesn't make much sense to me. Giving him these added responsibilities will hamper doing the job he was brought in here to do.

Either keep Idzik (Harbaugh would then, technically, be an Idzik hire) and make Idzik Harbaugh's stooge. From all the conspiracy theories the past 2 years Idzik should be used to the role by now. Or fire them both and bring in a new GM who hires him.

You want him focused on his job as HC, not distracted by the extra multitude of responsibilities of being a GM as well.

Meh. I don't know that Harbaugh should be in charge of negotiating with agents and ironing out contracts.

Being good at one thing doesn't automatically make one good at other things. If it did, then Ryan would be a good offensive coach because he's a good defensive coach.

hey Parcells knew he should not do those things so he had capologist Tannenbaum who did that job admirably for Parcells cause he knew his place.

I want nothing to do with Saban. Nothing.

He proved to be a failure and a quitter. Way too thin-skinned to handle NY, IMO.

Gruden? Gruden would get me pretty excited. I would rather gruden than Saban for sure. The guy really know his sh*t. He's a film nut and not much gets by him. I don't see him making boneheaded clock management/play calling mistakes. NY would love him. The only thing that scares me about him is he would go through QBs like sh*t through a goose.

His biggest problem(or OUR biggest problem)? He's got one of the cushiest jobs in football. He's probably loving life without the HC stress. Money talks, Woody.

Saban was not a quitter nor was he thin skinned ...At the time the Dolphins organization was the flying circus with all the celebrities and bullsh*t and Saban much to his credit wanted nothing to do with it. he made the right move and hes a smart guy who would organize this mess into a winner

All the WRs this MF Idzick passed on that we could realistically get in Benjamin, Cooks, Matthews, Moncrief, Bryant, and Brown is unbelievable.

sad thing is he could have made one or 2 trades and got a few of those guys ...instead he waited until the 4th round and got a mess of sh*t

So hopefully Woody Johnson isn't as incompetent as he seems and clears house a minute after week 17 game...If/When this happens who we looking to fill the spots?

A guy who I wouldnt mind signing if available that I haven't heard a soul talk about??? 

Jerry Reese. He wouldnt even have to leave the building, just change his shirt. I mean, everyone screaming Harbaugh given his success of drafting a QB and a Super Bowl appearance as a HC, how about a guy who actually won multiple championships as a GM, and who's actually been able to scout talent. 

Don't forget Allen Robinson.

only the jets could have ignored a WR in the best WR draft class in recent history

seriously, all those rookie WRs look phenomenal. Watkins, Cooks, Robinson, Benjamin made an instant impact and are already putting up nice numbers. then u have Bryant, Adams, Landry and Moncrief making big contributions on limited snaps.

how we ignored ALL OF these guys to get quincy enunwhaa and some 5'9, 157 lb midget, i'll never know.

That doesn't make much sense to me. Giving him these added responsibilities will hamper doing the job he was brought in here to do.Either keep Idzik (Harbaugh would then, technically, be an Idzik hire) and make Idzik Harbaugh's stooge. From all the conspiracy theories the past 2 years Idzik should be used to the role by now. Or fire them both and bring in a new GM who hires him.You want him focused on his job as HC, not distracted by the extra multitude of responsibilities of being a GM as well.

Ideally just dont think he will bite

seriously, out of all the things about this franchise, the drafting sh*ts me the most.

how the **** can a team be THIS BAD at drafting. i get that u have hits and misses but HOW THE **** do you rationalize picking a 5'9 157 lb midget corners and WR over some decent pro-ready player

What has given you guys such confidence that he can generally manage a football team?

No guarantees in life. But i think only way he comes here is with pretty outrageous demands for control given that how this team is managed is a league wide joke. Harbaugh can write his own ticket why would he go anywhere where game day player decisions are "organizational decisions?"

If we want him, i believe that is his asking price. Of course woody will never agree so we wont get him so it is moot. Which probably also disqualifies us from any big name coaches like gruden as well. We are likely to get another first time nfl HC or a guy who was a washout somewhere else. If i had to guess maybe a Scott Linehan type.

That doesn't make much sense to me. Giving him these added responsibilities will hamper doing the job he was brought in here to do.

Either keep Idzik (Harbaugh would then, technically, be an Idzik hire) and make Idzik Harbaugh's stooge. From all the conspiracy theories the past 2 years Idzik should be used to the role by now. Or fire them both and bring in a new GM who hires him.

You want him focused on his job as HC, not distracted by the extra multitude of responsibilities of being a GM as well.

I wouldn't mind making Harbaugh HC/President of Football operations (IOW, giving him veto power/final say on personnel matters), while letting him handpick his own stooge GM to deal with the salary cap, contracts, and other GM-type duties.

The fact is, he'll have his pick of the litter of any coaching jobs that become available; it's going to take full control to attract him to this abortion of a franchise.

Meh. I don't know that Harbaugh should be in charge of negotiating with agents and ironing out contracts.

Being good at one thing doesn't automatically make one good at other things. If it did, then Ryan would be a good offensive coach because he's a good defensive coach.

Meh, aren't you the guy who defended Geno and Idziot in the offseason. Meh, so much for what you think.  MehMehMeh

I would give Harbaugh full autonomy of everything, including hiring the concession stand.   

Meh, aren't you the guy who defended Geno and Idziot in the offseason. Meh, so much for what you think.  MehMehMeh

I would give Harbaugh full autonomy of everything, including hiring the concession stand.   

Defended going with Smith over Vick to see for certain what he is? Yes. Vick will lead no team to a superbowl. Whatever the odds of that happening with Smith, at least he had some "unknown" factor to his potential.  Crazy to give one's high draft picks every shot possible, I realize. Especially when there's no one any good on the roster anyway. Also I was happy to move on from the prior sucky QB.

As far as Idzik, I still agree with the process used. Ultimately he did a poor job of executing it, as it's predicated on hitting on far more draft picks than he's accomplished. Build through the draft and those fewer positions left over you fill in with higher-priced veterans (or as highly-priced as is required). The veterans signed should be ones easy to move on from if you've drafted well, so there's still plenty of space to re-sign the good ones and to fill in those (ideally few) extra positions we missed on.

Even in hindsight, I'm totally happy we didn't max out our cap this year. We'd still suck and now our ability for next year would be worse as expensive deals get past the initial low-cap season. And a late-20s veteran signed, whose game is based largely on speed and/or quickness (like a CB), will (in 2015) have one less "prime" year left in his career.  

So as much as I wanted to give Smith another shot (particularly while we had no one else), I'm very satisfied we didn't go bananas spending to build an expensive team around him like we just did with Sanchez.

Would Polian be willing to take over as GM and then he can pick the scout dept. and next HC?. Idzik had 20 draft picks in 2 years and all we have out of that at this point starting and playing well is Richardson, Pryor, and Amaro (If we say he's a starter) that all are contributing and showing real promise (I am giving Pryor the benefit of the doubt since his hands are tied compensating for our Pee Wee league CBs). I know we had Winters and now Aboushi also so I'll list them as average for Starters, which is being generous, though I like Aboushi's upside. Also, this is a slightly different topic, but maybe if our owner cared more about the team he bought than Politics we'd be on track. Enough on this, this season has been the worst I have ever gone through next to the 1-15 Kotite debacle. We are certainly challenging that great feat at this point.

Polian is on the ballot for the Hall of Fame so I doubt he would come out of retirement for this gig. Scott Pioli did a nice job in NE and KC and has studied under Belichick and Ozzie Newsome and has familiarity with the Jets under Parcells so that might be an option I would like. Otherwise I would pry Newsome's right hand man away from Baltimore and give him the job and hope some of Ozzie rubbed off.

A guy who I wouldnt mind signing if available that I haven't heard a soul talk about??? 

Jerry Reese. He wouldnt even have to leave the building, just change his shirt. I mean, everyone screaming Harbaugh given his success of drafting a QB and a Super Bowl appearance as a HC, how about a guy who actually won multiple championships as a GM, and who's actually been able to scout talent. 

But would he leave the Giants? What are his contractural restraints. The G-Men are not quick to surrender quality people at ANY level, which sort of explains their success doesn't it? If it could be done I would be all in for it. Make the call Woody.

It's likely Polian would not be interested. The Bills new owners are apparently hiring a consultant/president to advise them football decisions. It's strongly rumored that Polian given his strong ties to the Bills is their choice. Ron Wolf is the other name rumored to be involved for the Bills.

hey Parcells knew he should not do those things so he had capologist Tannenbaum who did that job admirably for Parcells cause he knew his place.

Parcells draft acumen is highly overrated as well. He picked guys like Dwayne Robertson, Dorian Boose, Scott Frost, and Rick Terry. Remember them?

It's likely Polian would not be interested. The Bills new owners are apparently hiring a consultant/president to advise them football decisions. It's strongly rumored that Polian given his strong ties to the Bills is their choice. Ron Wolf is the other name rumored to be involved for the Bills.

Wolf is a good one. He helped build the Packers with Favre and Holmgren. He was in NY under Dick Haley and would be an excellent choice.

Archived