John Idzik Ripped On Air

MatthewPLP

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many picks from the last six drafts are good?

If we're looking at Idzik, right now on the field we have Pryor(nothing special at all); Amaro(possible a decent TE); Aboushi(about what you could expect from an OL guy where he was taken) and Richardson. So out of 18 or so players over 2 drafts Idzik picked we have right now 1 guy who has perofrmed up to his top slot, another who might be good, a failure of a top pick to the point even Mr. Happytalk Positive Nonsense Guy Rex Ryan hints he's not doing the job, and a JAG OL guy. THAT IS A DISASTER. Adn he deserves no break for oft-injured Milliner and McDougal, whech everyone knew the days they were drafted.

As to the HC, amazing people are willing to accpet Ryan has nothing to do with the offense. How is that acceptable? Who is this MORON telling us for 6 years Sanchez or Smith gives us the best chances to win? And again defense is the flip side to offense.

Truth is both Idzik and Ryan should be fired at year's end. It won't happen that way because the owners is a dope. And I have no idea how you get him to give up a cash cow like an NFL team. Something stupid will happen.

If we're looking at Idzik, right now on the field we have Pryor(nothing special at all); Amaro(possible a decent TE); Aboushi(about what you could expect from an OL guy where he was taken) and Richardson. So out of 18 or so players over 2 drafts Idzik picked we have right now 1 guy who has perofrmed up to his top slot, another who might be good, a failure of a top pick to the point even Mr. Happytalk Positive Nonsense Guy Rex Ryan hints he's not doing the job, and a JAG OL guy. THAT IS A DISASTER. Adn he deserves no break for oft-injured Milliner and McDougal, whech everyone knew the days they were drafted.

As to the HC, amazing people are willing to accpet Ryan has nothing to do with the offense. How is that acceptable? Who is this MORON telling us for 6 years Sanchez or Smith gives us the best chances to win? And again defense is the flip side to offense.

Truth is both Idzik and Ryan should be fired at year's end. It won't happen that way because the owners is a dope. And I have no idea how you get him to give up a cash cow like an NFL team. Something stupid will happen.

Both should be fired, but I think Rex is given wrong end of stick here.. He ain't innocent, but given a half way decent roster and you know they'll have success. He was sabotaged IMO.

You'd figure a defensive genius could walk into Marty's office and say "Yo, just a heads up that the offense we are putting out there is like a buffet to any competent DC in the league. Now let me tell you a few formations and such that really give a defense fits."

Yeah, I think some of our fans are focused on the wrong part of the "rant". I listened to the whole segment, he was on point. The manufactured anger part was dopey, I agree. Eisen's "rant" was laughable, because it was more excuse-making for Rex, than it was outrage. The media is coming out in droves piling on Idzik, with a soft undertone of none of this was Rex's fault. Which is just not true. Rex is the Jets, for 6 years running. To treat him like he's not at the center of this mess is unfair to the parts of our fanbase that take their cues from the media.

Well, at least Rex has shown the ability that he CAN coach and have some success. Idzik has shown himself to be utterly incompetent thus far. I think that's why Rex gets the benefit of the doubt in the Rex vs Idzik debate.

I think Rex needs to go, however. It's just time.

this is true.  But at least 4 of them are injured, and some are on the practice squad. You could even call Saunders an injury.  I know he went to some other squad, but that episode of his was unsettling. So I do not think that is abysmal, unless these guys show that they cannot play when their time comes.  that number is pretty close to normal in the football world.

Really?  Teams hit on 20% of their draft picks overall.  We drafted players who were also injured in college.  1,2 and 3rd rounders should be a lock to make the roster, 4 and 5 very good shot and after that a crapshoot.

When you have a "plan" that plan includes drafted players on the roster and contributing.  The Jets really don't have that from Idziks two drafts.  When the Giants won their 3rd Super Bowl, all 7 draft picks were contributors and the 7th rounder was Ahmad Bradshaw. 

Well, at least Rex has shown the ability that he CAN coach and have some success. Idzik has shown himself to be utterly incompetent thus far. I think that's why Rex gets the benefit of the doubt in the Rex vs Idzik debate.

I think Rex needs to go, however. It's just time.

That time Herm beat Peyton 41-0 in the playoffs.

You'd figure a defensive genius could walk into Marty's office and say "Yo, just a heads up that the offense we are putting out there is like a buffet to any competent DC in the league. Now let me tell you a few formations and such that really give a defense fits."

That I cannot understand. every successful head coach (spare John Harbaugh, special teams at the time he was hired anyway)starts out as either from defense or offense. And those are really 2 sides of the same coin, what works, what doesn't, how to defense it. Somehow Ryan like his dad has gotten away with acting like farming out the offense completely is acceptable. Cannot imagine any other successful HC doing something that silly. It's scary he's gotten away with it for this long.

Dunno if this was posted, but man...is this guy 100% right..

Mike Francesa rant destroys John Idzik and New York Jets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rAu4TtTmM

He could not have been more right. I watched in disbelief for the poor acting job and the stupidity that this GM has displayed both by his choices and his words. Fracesa is was completely correct in most of his assessments except of course the Jet Nation ones. We as fans have been too accepting of mediocrity. Woody has gladly boned us because of that.

That I cannot understand. every successful head coach (spare John Harbaugh, special teams at the time he was hired anyway)starts out as either from defense or offense. And those are really 2 sides of the same coin, what works, what doesn't, how to defense it. Somehow Ryan like his dad has gotten away with acting like farming out the offense completely is acceptable. Cannot imagine any other successful HC doing something that silly. It's scary he's gotten away with it for this long.

me neither. i can understand some guys are better at the day to day coaching one side of the ball or developing certain positions. but if you understand how to stop an offense, certainly you have a general idea of what works and doesn't work on offense or what is difficult to stop/gameplan for.

You saying he is not right? I dont think you could dispute anything he said.. spot on..

"Orton completed only ten passes, FOR NINE THOUSAND YARDS!" ..  LOLOL

"Watkins only caught 3 passes, FOR A HUNDRED AND FIFTY SEVEN YARDS!!"

"You know how long it takes a Jets receiver to get 157 yards?! 3 YEARS!"

I'm surprised the Bills weren't eating hotdogs and drinking beer on the sidelines..

Francesa is a Jet hater who puts them down when they win so this was an opportunity he simply could NOT pass up. To bash the Jets GM senseless was right up his alley. Not that he wasn't right...he was...but his reasoning was NOT to come to the defense of Jet Nation.

Yeah, I think some of our fans are focused on the wrong part of the "rant". I listened to the whole segment, he was on point. The manufactured anger part was dopey, I agree. Eisen's "rant" was laughable, because it was more excuse-making for Rex, than it was outrage. The media is coming out in droves piling on Idzik, with a soft undertone of none of this was Rex's fault. Which is just not true. Rex is the Jets, for 6 years running. To treat him like he's not at the center of this mess is unfair to the parts of our fanbase that take their cues from the media.

There are still a lot of fans who side with Rex. I am NOT among them however. I see too many things under his watch that have gone wrong and he is not yet been held accountable for. Which is probably why he doesn't hold players accountable for mental errors, penalties and miscues. Under Rex the Jets have always been a bad play away from collapse, even at their best.

He's right about Woody,Idzik and Ryan, but there's thousands of people here at JETNATION ready to prove him wrong about there not being one.

...There is only a JetsNation in the sense we are loyal fans who , in some cases go back to the Namath days.  But Francessa is correct in that

Woody made a bad choice in Idzik.    Idzik would be ok as a cap-ologist--  he knows how to save money, BUT HE IS INCAPABLE OF

BUILDING A TEAM.!      see below on what he has done in 2 drafts....

.......//

What is most frightening about Idzik's drafts is not necessarily the current state of his class, but the reasoning behind some of the picks he has made. 

In one of the deepest receiver drafts in recent memory, Idzik waited until the fourth round to dive into this position. The first receiver Idzik took in the draft was 5'9" Jalen Saunders, who tipped the scales at 160 pounds in Timberland boots. 

It did not take long for the Jets to realize their massive mistake in drafting Saunders, as he was released before October. After spending some time on the Arizona Cardinals practice squad, Saunders' NFL career appears to be over before it started. 

Meanwhile, Donte Moncrief and Martavis Bryant—two receivers who were on the board when the Jets reached for Saunders—are borderline starters for their respective teams already. 

There are still a lot of fans who side with Rex. I am NOT among them however. I see too many things under his watch that have gone wrong and he is not yet been held accountable for. Which is probably why he doesn't hold players accountable for mental errors, penalties and miscues. Under Rex the Jets have always been a bad play away from collapse, even at their best.

Well said; Rex's early success was because he inherited a quality team from the Mangini years.  When the tough , hard nosed players like Damien Woody, Thomas Jones, T. Rich, etc..  were gone.... his choices as replacements and his other decisions were often poor. i.e ( Ruining Mark Sanchez in the Snoopy Bowl)   Leading to the slow decline of the team.  Now we are at the absolute bottom with no QB.

...There is only a JetsNation in the sense we are loyal fans who , in some cases go back to the Namath days.  But Francessa is correct in that

Woody made a bad choice in Idzik.    Idzik would be ok as a cap-ologist--  he knows how to save money, BUT HE IS INCAPABLE OF

BUILDING A TEAM.!      see below on what he has done in 2 drafts....

.......//

What is most frightening about Idzik's drafts is not necessarily the current state of his class, but the reasoning behind some of the picks he has made. 

In one of the deepest receiver drafts in recent memory, Idzik waited until the fourth round to dive into this position. The first receiver Idzik took in the draft was 5'9" Jalen Saunders, who tipped the scales at 160 pounds in Timberland boots. 

It did not take long for the Jets to realize their massive mistake in drafting Saunders, as he was released before October. After spending some time on the Arizona Cardinals practice squad, Saunders' NFL career appears to be over before it started. 

Meanwhile, Donte Moncrief and Martavis Bryant—two receivers who were on the board when the Jets reached for Saunders—are borderline starters for their respective teams already. 

makes no sense at all.

jalen saunders 5'9'' 160

martavius bryant 6'4'' 210

i wonder which is a better choice for an inaccurate passer who like to play chuck and duck???

yes. it doesn't matter if he is right or wrong, every time I hear this windbag sing his tune, all I can think of is punching his face in

I agree, whenever I hear him I want to give him a high-five, to the face, with a chair.  

I couldn't care less if he's right this time, he's been a pompous, blowhard, egotistical, venom-spewing, Diet Coke-chugging, fat-ass, anti-Jets slob who has hated the Jets for years. How quickly people forget what an a$$hole he's been to the team and towards the fans for years just because he finally says something these people agree with.

These types of fans of the team embarrass me more than the actual team does, and that's what truly sucks about the team losing.

I agree, whenever I hear him I want to give him a high-five, to the face, with a chair.  

I couldn't care less if he's right this time, he's been a pompous, blowhard, egotistical, venom-spewing, Diet Coke-chugging, fat-ass, anti-Jets slob who has hated the Jets for years. How quickly people forget what an a$$hole he's been to the team and towards the fans for years just because he finally says something these people agree with.

These types of fans of the team embarrass me more than the actual team does, and that's what truly sucks about the team losing.

Bravo - even a blind squirrel gets lucky and finds a nut and a broken clock is right twice a day, but i have no use for a blind squirrel or a broken clock.

If John Idzik was a proven GM, he would have a tad bit of leeway. The fact that he has been so incompetent combined with zero experience is exactly why he needs to get the axe sooner than later.

No need setting the organization back even further for a guy nobody wanted to hire or even interviewed him from the get...

Sooooo, you guys were big fans of the direction of the team before Idzik got here?

It's gotten so out of control the last couple days that you've assumed the role of team defender.

Do you now understand how you and your ilk fuel the media with your hatred?!

Sooooo, you guys were big fans of the direction of the team before Idzik got here?

I think the team was better off with t-bum.. no denying he tried to get rex talent. sometime it worked out other times it did not, aside from some contract blunders obviously (Sanchez)

I was pretty supportive. Or more correctly, I was supportive of the process, which I still am. Plus I think he did a good job getting as much as he did for Revis when people were predicting we were going to get no more than a single 2nd round pick (that being the top offer over a course of such a long period of time).

He's missed on too many picks. The whiffing on lower-priced FAs didn't bother me too much; that's why they're priced lower in the first place. Plus I knew (or it seemed logical) that these veterans were only there as placeholders until his young, cap-friendly draftees grew into the starting role. The strategy falls apart when such a small amount of college talent is SO far away from showing anything. Then all that's left is the lazy, "Shoulda spent more," type responses. Like that takes any stroke of genius. My concern is that, to save his ass, he's now going to blow through too much of this accumulated space in 1 year just to do so as a reflex.

He was right to not spend up to the cap this year if he was going with Geno. As much as $20M cap room gets thrown around like a punchline, we were winning no superbowl if we spent all of it with our QBs.

I think he wanted to see what we had at QB before (1) giving up on him, and (2) maxing out the cap. Plus it also would give the draftees another season to show whether they're going to be the future or if we need to spend on a veteran.

I can give anyone a pass for his first FA period because of the team situation, but 2 drafts and 1 FA period with no FA restrictions (cap-wise) should have yielded better results. There are still so many holes that it's a mess, though. The players brought in are a bit beyond claiming they weren't coached up properly and that that's the difference between a bust and a great draft pick.

I think the team was better off with t-bum.. no denying he tried to get rex talent. sometime it worked out other times it did not, aside from some contract blunders obviously (Sanchez)

If T-bum got Rex that talent he wanted, and that talent made the team progressively worse, then how is that better? You're saying that Idzik should have continued to go out and get Rex the talent he wanted?

If T-bum got Rex that talent he wanted, and that talent made the team progressively worse, then how is that better? You're saying that Idzik should have continued to go out and get Rex the talent he wanted?

Don't remember the Jets having a 7 game losing streak with tanny around..

I was pretty supportive. Or more correctly, I was supportive of the process, which I still am. Plus I think he did a good job getting as much as he did for Revis when people were predicting we were going to get no more than a single 2nd round pick (that being the top offer over a course of such a long period of time).

He's missed on too many picks. The whiffing on lower-priced FAs didn't bother me too much; that's why they're priced lower in the first place. Plus I knew (or it seemed logical) that these veterans were only there as placeholders until his young, cap-friendly draftees grew into the starting role. The strategy falls apart when such a small amount of college talent is SO far away from showing anything. Then all that's left is the lazy, "Shoulda spent more," type responses. Like that takes any stroke of genius. My concern is that, to save his ass, he's now going to blow through too much of this accumulated space in 1 year just to do so as a reflex.

He was right to not spend up to the cap this year if he was going with Geno. As much as $20M cap room gets thrown around like a punchline, we were winning no superbowl if we spent all of it with our QBs.

I think he wanted to see what we had at QB before (1) giving up on him, and (2) maxing out the cap. Plus it also would give the draftees another season to show whether they're going to be the future or if we need to spend on a veteran.

I can give anyone a pass for his first FA period because of the team situation, but 2 drafts and 1 FA period with no FA restrictions (cap-wise) should have yielded better results. There are still so many holes that it's a mess, though. The players brought in are a bit beyond claiming they weren't coached up properly and that that's the difference between a bust and a great draft pick.

Agree with a lot of this, but I think it's a bit too coincidental that every draft class under Rex underachieves except for the defensive line. Even the worst, most clueless GMs luck into a big player every now and then. That it hasn't happened here leads me to believe the problem is systemic, and the man implementing that system has to go. I think if we're going to fairly assess Idzik, we need to see what his coach does with his players. Idzik may very well suck, but I don't think it's fair to assess that fully until the change is made. 

Agree with a lot of this, but I think it's a bit too coincidental that every draft class under Rex underachieves except for the defensive line. Even the worst, most clueless GMs luck into a big player every now and then. That it hasn't happened here leads me to believe the problem is systemic, and the man implementing that system has to go. I think if we're going to fairly assess Idzik, we need to see what his coach does with his players. Idzik may very well suck, but I don't think it's fair to assess that fully until the change is made. 

It can lead you to that conclusion because that's the conclusion you want to come to. There are plenty of examples of (leaked) players that were taken that Ryan didn't want. From Milliner to Hill to Geno. Those are a few pretty instrumental picks in the recent demise and general decline of high level talent. 

I think it's valid when I see the result of 12 picks (yes, most of them late picks) from a can't-miss draft class. He's the GM. They are his draft picks.

Though at least one will survive the season, most likely, neither has earned it. If he can't make picks without his HC, after just replacing the whole scouting staff (except Bradway), then he's not bringing enough to the table as a GM just as Ryan isn't bringing enough to the table as a HC.

I'm just being fair. 

Archived