Francesa- "Woody should ask the league office to help find him a GM"

Matt39

The New York Jets, continuing to restructure their front office under new general manager John Idzik, hired former Arizona Cardinals GM Rod Graves Monday as the senior director of football administration.

It will be a role reversal for Graves, who served as Idzik's boss in Arizona from 2004 to 2007. The two remained close, and it was reported a month ago that Idzik was targeting Graves for a position. They met as ball boys for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Jets blog

nyj.gifLooking for more on

the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog »

Graves was fired this offseason by the Cardinals after a 5-11 season, their third straight year out of the playoffs. He spent 16 years with the organization, the last nine in charge of the football operation. He had one year remaining on his contract.

Graves has a scouting background, so he should be a good complement to Idzik, who came up through the ranks primarily as a contract negotiator and cap expert.

Since replacing Mike Tannenbaum, who was fired after the season, Idzik has overhauled the front office, the scouting department and the roster.

The Jets parted ways with three executives, including assistant general manager Scott Cohen. Graves will step into the role of second in command.

The Jets also announced the hiring of Matt Bazirgan as the assistant director of pro personnel. Previously, he was an area scout. Rick Courtright was named the national college scout.

Idzik also had to replace four college scouts, two of whom were let go. He named four new scouts, including former Jets and Houston Texans cornerback Aaron Glenn, who spent last season with the Jets as a pro scout. The other new scouts are David Boller, David Hinson and Christopher Prescott.

Of Tannenbaum's closest advisers, only three survived the front-office shakeup, including former GM and current senior personnel executive Terry Bradway.

Our braintrust is Idzik, Rod Graves, Terry Bradway, Woody and Rex Ryan.

And we all come here everyday in awe of what is going on with this team?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His overall point was the league office will pretty much survey every "football guy" and they'll compile a list of candidates from those responses...instead of going only to a Parcells or Polian where they'll get a biased response and you get guys like Mo Carthon or Al Groh or John Idzik. The league would prefer the Jets weren't a joke I'd imagine. You don't go to Korn Ferry to find someone who knows how to pick football players.

You can tell when Francesa's talking out of his ass, this wasn't one of them. If Woody's incapable of identifying someone who can run a football team he should just sell.

idzik's a joke...Terry Bradway  is still doing our scouting...nothing has changed.

Francessa's an idiot but your point about Bradway is good

I'll take an arrogant jerk who can can do better than 1/19 in drafts any day. 

No. No ******* way. Idzik is stuck with the label of being the guy that sabotaged a season to get rid of Rex. That's all that will be remembered, no matter if true or not. 

So... we're stuck with Idzik because we didn't fire Rex, we'll be stuck with a sh*t coach, because we don't fire Idzik, and around and around we go... 

Unfortunately, this leads to our owner...he's never sure who to trsut so he hedges his bet...never cleaning house...just trying to band-aid the situation...truly we're lost.

Unfortunately, this leads to our owner...he's never sure who to trsut so he hedges his bet...never cleaning house...just trying to band-aid the situation...truly we're lost.

I know it, man. I know it.

Corporate America revolves around the lost productivity that is a direct result of the circuitous exercise of people covering their asses.

Our braintrust is Idzik, Rod Graves, Terry Bradway, Woody and Rex Ryan.

And we all come here everyday in awe of what is going on with this team?

Geez, I totally forgot about Graves.  I haven't seen his name in print since the time they hired him.  Have to wonder what his role is in all of this?  

Didn't they have, like, 8 Pro Bowlers the year Pioli got fired?

Then why fire him, obviously someone thought he wasn't doing a good job.  If they were All -Pros that would carry more weight, obviously the folks in KC were quite active in stuffing the ballot boxes for the Pro Bowl.

• 4 weeks later...

Go to Monster.com or CareerBuilder

Lol might as well

Would save a lot of time. I wonder what kind of finders fee Bill Polian got to "sit in" on the interviews after he turned down the gig himself. Smh

Problem is that Woody apparently overpaid for the team by about 300% so everything he's done since has been low-budget.

Maybe in his final years hell spend like Hess.

I've been saying this for sometime, but it probably wouldn't work now. The Celtic's owner got sick of the Boston media hammering him on the team. So he said "why don't you pick ( a coach ) ?" They came up with Red Auerbach. The New York media would come up with Jesus.

I've been saying this for sometime, but it probably wouldn't work now. The Celtic's owner got sick of the Boston media hammering him on the team. So he said "why don't you pick ( a coach ) ?" They came up with Red Auerbach. The New York media would come up with Jesus.

LOL. And then they would complain about the Apostles. :winking0001:

Mike saying the Jets are absolutely pursuing Harbaugh

How has Harbaugh been developing his young talent?  Weren't his first few years essentially Singletary's teams?  I don't want another Rex situation where he inherits another coach's veteran team, does well for awhile and then craps the bed because he can't develop talent.

How has Harbaugh been developing his young talent?  Weren't his first few years essentially Singletary's teams?  I don't want another Rex situation where he inherits another coach's veteran team, does well for awhile and then craps the bed because he can't develop talent.

That have guys making plays who have been filling in for Smith, Bowman, Willis etc.

Was it, like, something someone told him or was it something he's just saying would be logical?

He used to laugh off the Harbaugh calls. He's changed his tune...expects the Raiders and Falcons to entertain it as well. Someone obviously put it in his ear.

He used to laugh off the Harbaugh calls. He's changed his tune...expects the Raiders and Falcons to entertain it as well. Someone obviously put it in his ear.

Interesting. Has to be from Harbaugh's camp, because I don't think he has anyone left with the Jets. If there's any truth to it, Idzik is already finished.

Yeah we'd have to trade for him most likely.

The trade scenario might actually help us if those are actually the teams.  Atlanta is the same conference and they probably would prefer to ship him out of town and not have them across the bay in Oakland.  Harbaugh might personally prefer Oakland.  He probably won't want to move the family.  He has been out there from 2002 on except a couple of years in San Diego.  I don't think he has had any association outside of California since he was QB in Baltimore in the late 90's. 

Can we make a trade for him? Kind of like how we traded Herm to KC?

Yeah we'd have to trade for him most likely.

Pretty sure the 49ers would hang us out for the first rounder, especially if they suspect that there was tampering. It'd be their one last kick in the balls to Harbaugh.

Archived