There is a sickness in sports culture

Cyberjet

I'm sure I will regret posting this.

I, like everyone else, want the Jets to win - with winning everyone is happy. It's easy being a fan when your team is winning. With losing there is a multitude of reactions in how people deal with losing or failure . The most alarming aspect of reacting to losing is the personal degradation and verbal destruction of people spewed by many. To see Francesca's disgusting tirade of verbal malice on Idzik and company and see it applauded supported and headlined sickened me to no end. He is the product of what is wrong with today's sports  media.

I am going to take a different take on Idzik and yes I will be labeled a homer among other things. John Idzik got up in front of the New York media and wore his Jet passion on his sleeve. He did it with sincerity and no doubt it was difficult. It was different and it was unusual and it was refreshing. But because these shark driven arrogant reporters  determine that this is not the way a GM should act they felt uncomfortable and awkward and thus projected their discomfort by calling his "performance" embarrassing,etc. Throw on top of that that the Jets are are at  an extreme low point it's easy to pile on and see no positives. They wanted people fired, they wanted resignations. Well to me it wasn't embarrassing. It was interesting to see a man talk passionately about his team. As a fan I liked it. And as a fan I don't like seeing him mocked ridiculed and destroyed personally.

One aspect of the Jets that goes underappreciated is the access the fan has to the team. Players coaches are very accessible to the media. We get alot of news and information about the team and we see their personalities. Hate or like him this is what Woody Johnson envisioned for his team. Obviously it can have its pitfalls but it has alot of upside for fans. One of the reasons Mangini was fired was that the environment he created was a very controlling, cold  and virtually lifeless one . The Belichick model. I live in the Boston area. The Belichick regime is lifeless - fans have (via the media) little access to the players and coaches. They have never seen some of their coaches.  What they do have is  a winning product but at the cost of a relatively lifeless fan environment. It's almost one dimensional . Every Sunday they cheer and usually win and then they wait for the next Sunday - very little in between. Friends of mine do complain they don't like the secrecy or boredom of Belichick but they win. For some winning is all that matters no matter how you do it.. This is one way to win. Hopefully not the only way.

When Ryan was hired and spoke I thought this was different. I like the fun and the openess of the Jets environment. I don't like the losing. I hope that the Jets don't resort to the Belichick mode of operations to create a winner. I hope they can win with this philosophy because it's more fun for the average fan and  winning would be so much more special than the alternative.

I will support and pull for Idzik (with all his mistakes) at the very least so he can give the proverbial middle finger to the obvious people. I understand that people feel he is incompetent but to me that assessment is premature. If he continues to fail I will be disappointed but I'm not going to ridicule or denegrate him. Here's hoping the best for Idzik - he has a hugh challenge in front of him.

The NFL is not a charity for helping out perceived "good guys" or "fun guys".

Rex Ryan has made millions of dollars failing.  He has been given more opportunity than most.

It's time to move on.

It isn't personal, I like Rex and his passion and his rah rah Jets attitude.

I don't like his performance as a Head Coach.

I wish him well, somewhere else.

We need a new Head Coach.

its one thing to be accessible and open, another to be a ******* media circus.

i hate to admit it, but the giants are so much better run than the jets. two teams that share the same city and space are so dramatically different. they air out their dirty laundry in-house, they are open but not to the extent that they are whoring themselves out.

The NFL is not a charity for helping out perceived "good guys" or "fun guys".

Rex Ryan has made millions of dollars failing.  He has been given more opportunity than most.

It's time to move on.

It isn't personal, I like Rex and his passion and his rah rah Jets attitude.

I don't like his performance as a Head Coach.

I wish him well, somewhere else.

We need a new Head Coach.

Agree  will see what Idzik does.

I, like everyone else, want the Jets to win - with winning everyone is happy. It's easy being a fan when your team is winning. With losing there is a multitude of reactions in how people deal with losing or failure . The most alarming aspect of reacting to losing is the personal degradation and verbal destruction of people spewed by many. To see Francesca's disgusting tirade of verbal malice on Idzik and company and see it applauded supported and headlined sickened me to no end. He is the product of what is wrong with today's sports  media.

I am going to take a different take on Idzik and yes I will be labeled a homer among other things. John Idzik got up in front of the New York media and wore his Jet passion on his sleeve. He did it with sincerity and no doubt it was difficult. It was different and it was unusual and it was refreshing. But because these shark driven arrogant reporters  determine that this is not the way a GM should act they felt uncomfortable and awkward and thus projected their discomfort by calling his "performance" embarrassing,etc. Throw on top of that that the Jets are are at  an extreme low point it's easy to pile on and see no positives. They wanted people fired, they wanted resignations. Well to me it wasn't embarrassing. It was interesting to see a man talk passionately about his team. As a fan I liked it. And as a fan I don't like seeing him mocked ridiculed and destroyed personally.

One aspect of the Jets that goes underappreciated is the access the fan has to the team. Players coaches are very accessible to the media. We get alot of news and information about the team and we see their personalities. Hate or like him this is what Woody Johnson envisioned for his team. Obviously it can have its pitfalls but it has alot of upside for fans. One of the reasons Mangini was fired was that the environment he created was a very controlling, cold  and virtually lifeless one . The Belichick model. I live in the Boston area. The Belichick regime is lifeless - fans have (via the media) little access to the players and coaches. They have never seen some of their coaches.  What they do have is  a winning product but at the cost of a relatively lifeless fan environment. It's almost one dimensional . Every Sunday they cheer and usually win and then they wait for the next Sunday - very little in between. Friends of mine do complain they don't like the secrecy or boredom of Belichick but they win. For some winning is all that matters no matter how you do it.. This is one way to win. Hopefully not the only way.

When Ryan was hired and spoke I thought this was different. I like the fun and the openess of the Jets environment. I don't like the losing. I hope that the Jets don't resort to the Belichick mode of operations to create a winner. I hope they can win with this philosophy because it's more fun for the average fan and  winning would be so much more special than the alternative.

I will support and pull for Idzik (with all his mistakes) at the very least so he can give the proverbial middle finger to the obvious people. I understand that people feel he is incompetent but to me that assessment is premature. If he continues to fail I will be disappointed but I'm not going to ridicule or denegrate him. Here's hoping the best for Idzik - he has a hugh challenge in front of him.

sincerity doesn't require crib notes. it was the opposite of sincere. it was pre-prepared corporate speak from a stuffed shirt accountant.

Winning really is the only thing in the NFL. Whetehr you're a hardass like Mangini or an open accessible guy like RYan is really of no consequence.Fan acess and being nice to fans and media is not a factor at all. If Mangini didn't have Favre's elbow explode he would likely have won some playoff games, and possibly even a Super Bowl or 2.

Idzik might have simply lost his job because he has drafted and constructed this roster so badly.For that alone he should lsoe his job. What we did not know until Monday is that he is poorly spoken, a deer in the headlights, promoted out of his depth. That;s bad for business. And those are aloso reasons he should be fired.

Don't feel sorry for any of them. Ryan and Idzik knew the day they took their jobd they were not going to be here 20 years and get a gold watch. Adn in both cases they had dads who were also football lifers who got fired and then moved to the next job.

And as to Bellicheat-grudingly you have to grasp that based on him, Parcells, the Harbaughs, and many others, being a nasty guy can be part of being a successful NFL coach.This is not a profession that expects nor rewards compassion and understanding. When you have to tell 40+ people every summer to get lost and that their dream of pro football is done, it's not going to make for a good guy award show.

sincerity doesn't require crib notes. it was the opposite of sincere. it was pre-prepared corporate speak from a stuffed shirt accountant.

Naw I saw it the other way. He had talking points but it had more stream of consciousness feel rather than scripted tripe.

People claim they want accountability and honesty but when they get it they scream bloody murder. I heard him say the job he's done has been unsatisfactory, the buck stops with him, and he vows to do better for the fans.

All anyone wants to talk about is that he said he likes the people he works with.. as if he's supposed to say anything else.

There was literally nothing that he could have said that would have been met with approval from the media. If he was too short they would have said he was devoid of emotion and insincere.

Personally I think he got a wee bit too emotional but that also leads me to believe hes 100% invested in trying to fix things.

Naw I saw it the other way. He had talking points but it had more stream of consciousness feel rather than scripted tripe.

People claim they want accountability and honesty but when they get it they scream bloody murder. I heard him say the job he's done has been unsatisfactory, the buck stops with him, and he vows to do better for the fans.

All anyone wants to talk about is that he said he likes the people he works with.. as if he's supposed to say anything else.

There was literally nothing that he could have said that would have been met with approval from the media. If he was too short they would have said he was devoid of emotion and insincere.

Personally I think he got a wee bit too emotional but that also leads me to believe hes 100% invested in trying to fix things.

call me a cynic but it sounded like contrived, worthless, sanitized bullsh*t to me

Fun and open?

The Jerry Glanvilles and Herm Edwards of the NFL are fun and open. The country club environment doesn't work in the NFL.

I'd take John Idzik's job for minimum wage because it would be the coolest job on the planet.  I'd go pay check to pay check to have the shot he has and yet, he gets paid millions.  So I dont feel bad for him because people are calling him names.  He gets to be the GM of the Jets and make millions for it and so far he's been atrocious.  He gets paid to take the bullets if his team sucks and the accolades if his team succeeds.  That's his job.  

I have to pay with my hard earned money, to watch the Jets and gain nothing but disappointment from it. 

Idzik sucks at his job and he should be fired for it.  I dont care what kind of person he is or about his family, just like he doesnt care about me or mine. He sucks at his job and we as a fan base, the ones who spend their money on the Jets, are the ones paying for it. Not him.  He still gets paid.  

If you performed as badly as John Idzik has over the last 2 years, would you have a job? 

Fire Idzik.  He sucks. 

The problem is that you can't get up there and say "We have great coaches and have great personnel".  

That is a either a lie or he has a serious lack of judgement and should not be GM.

I do agree that to bash the guy is wrong but it is what it is.  This is the media driven world we live in today.  

Good perspective

I'd take John Idzik's job for minimum wage because it would be the coolest job on the planet. I'd go pay check to pay check to have the shot he has and yet, he gets paid millions. So I dont feel bad for him because people are calling him names. He gets to be the GM of the Jets and make millions for it and so far he's been atrocious. He gets paid to take the bullets if his team sucks and the accolades if his team succeeds. That's his job.

I have to pay with my hard earned money, to watch the Jets and gain nothing but disappointment from it.

Idzik sucks at his job and he should be fired for it. I dont care what kind of person he is or about his family, just like he doesnt care about me or mine. He sucks at his job and we as a fan base, the ones who spend their money on the Jets, are the ones paying for it. Not him. He still gets paid.

If you performed as badly as John Idzik has over the last 2 years, would you have a job?

Fire Idzik. He sucks.

Idzik has put me and JiF on the same page, this guy really needs to go

Good perspective

Thx - though I think it's the minority perspective on this board. I think Ryan will get fired unless something dramatic happens over the next 8 games, but I'm pretty sure Idzik stays - I do feel it's premature to judge his draft picks and success of his plan. The QB is key and unfortunately Smith didn't perform up to expectations. But I also feel the team has underperformed. Idzik has a lot on his plate - has to stabilize the QB position. In my opinion needs a veteran with an understudy to phase in over next 2 years.

Archived