We Want Marcus Mariota!!!!

GangGreenDover

This whole conversation is like the ugliest dude at the party debating which super model he's going to take home. The Jets would be lucky to get a shot at either of them. Both being on the board is extremely wishful thinking. And passing on the only one left because of "red flags" is a friggin joke. 

If either Mariota or Winston is on the board when the Jets pick they take him. End of discussion. 

They better.

Mariota won't be.  Jets will not finish 1-15, Winston might be, I'd run up to the podium with the pick

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole conversation is like the ugliest dude at the party debating which super model he's going to take home. The Jets would be lucky to get a shot at either of them. Both being on the board is extremely wishful thinking. And passing on the only one left because of "red flags" is a friggin joke. 

If either Mariota or Winston is on the board when the Jets pick they take him. End of discussion. 

First off, it's not all that far fetched that we'll end up with the #1 overall, or that the teams that draft ahead of us like OAK or JAX are content enough with the QBs they just drafted, so they very well may both still be on the board.

Second, I'm going on the record now that Winston will not only bust in the pros, but if (God forbid) he's drafted by us, he will implode in this media market, and make us an even bigger national laughingstock than we are right now. I want absolutely no part of him whatsoever. It will be an absolute disaster that will set this franchise back yet another 2-3 years.

If Mariota's off the board and Winston isn't, then I either take the WR Cooper or the LT Peat. 

yeah i want to see a tall, dropback, prototypical QB. Connor Cook is my choice. And it won't take a top 5 pick to get him. Mariota is insanely physically gifted. But Jets need to go with the standard here. Tall, big arm, pro style. No more taking a guy and having him play a different scheme/position like the Jets seem to do with almost everyone. That's a sign of a coach who tries to fit players into the only scheme he feels comfortable with, rather than adapting his scheme to the players he has.

hackenberg is the best that's coming

First off, it's not all that far fetched that we'll end up with the #1 overall, or that the teams that draft ahead of us like OAK or JAX are content enough with the QBs they just drafted, so they very well may both still be on the board.

Second, I'm going on the record now that Winston will not only bust in the pros, but if (God forbid) he's drafted by us, he will implode in this media market, and make us an even bigger national laughingstock than we are right now. I want absolutely no part of him whatsoever. It will be an absolute disaster that will set this franchise back yet another 2-3 years.

If Mariota's off the board and Winston isn't, then I either take the WR Cooper or the LT Peat. 

The interesting thing is that Oakland most likely will end up with the number 1 pick and will undoubtedly want to trade down. Which brings up the question on whether or not the Jets should trade up for him.

As for Winston he needs to stay in school more. He needs to work on his accuracy and get better at reading a defense. He hasn't really been tested against anybody due to the talent on that team.

The interesting thing is that Oakland most likely will end up with the number 1 pick and will undoubtedly want to trade down. Which brings up the question on whether or not the Jets should trade up for him.

As for Winston he needs to stay in school more. He needs to work on his accuracy and get better at reading a defense. He hasn't really been tested against anybody due to the talent on that team.

We really fu*ked ourselves with that week 1 win against Oakland. I'm hoping they can reel off a couple of wins so we can leapfrog ahead of them, but I just checked their schedule and it looks pretty brutal.

Ideally we just lose out and 1-15 is enough for the #1 overall, but in the event that we don't and would have to trade up to get him, then it would depend on what the asking price is - if it's something similar to the package we traded to move up for Sanchez, then I do it without question; if it's more along the lines of what the Redskins gave up to draft RGKnee, then I'd rather stand pat and draft Cooper or Peat, and look to sign a stopgap veteran QB in FA like Hoyer.

Football team is not a football team without the QB (hence Jets)

1-15 will be good enough to get the 2nd pick. Oakland has two games up on the Jets. However with a new GM and Head

Coach will put us in the right direction. We do have some talent but without a positive draft which won't happen with Idsick at the helm.

Good grief!!!

1-15 will be good enough to get the 2nd pick. Oakland has two games up on the Jets. However with a new GM and Head

Coach will put us in the right direction. We do have some talent but without a positive draft which won't happen with Idsick at the helm.

Good grief!!!

I don't think head-to-head record matters when it comes to who drafts first, assuming we both finish 1-15. Whichever team had the lowest strength of schedule would draft first.

saw some of him last night.  the one where he had 1st and goal from the whatever and missed a wide open receiver.  I mean there was nobody within 5 yards of him.  the worst part is it was an overthrow where the WR couldn't adjust to it

next throw was forced into double coverage

he's tebow with better mechanics, but smaller frame

Watched him last night for a bit. He's so meh, it's sad.

Only the Jets finally go for broke and win 1 game on a year where there is no lock prospect (Cooper?) and 2 highly questionable QB front runners.

saw some of him last night.  the one where he had 1st and goal from the whatever and missed a wide open receiver.  I mean there was nobody within 5 yards of him.  the worst part is it was an overthrow where the WR couldn't adjust to it

next throw was forced into double coverage

he's tebow with better mechanics, but smaller frame

Watched one game, immediately thinks they know what he's like as a prospect.

Watched one game, immediately thinks they know what he's like as a prospect.

throw out all the runs, a skinny QB won't run in the NFL.  this isn't kap or cam or tebow.  he's RGIII or vick skinny

so based on passing alone, do you take him in the top 3 ?

throw out all the runs, a skinny QB won't run in the NFL.  this isn't kap or cam or tebow.  he's RGIII or vick skinny

so based on passing alone, do you take him in the top 3 ?

Mariota is a very good prospect, but like Kaep, you need to design runs into your scheme or he won't succeed. He's not a pure pocket quarterback and will not be able to succeed as one, but he can be successful should he be implemented in the right offense. 

Mariota is a very good prospect, but like Kaep, you need to design runs into your scheme or he won't succeed. He's not a pure pocket quarterback and will not be able to succeed as one, but he can be successful should he be implemented in the right offense. 

txs

I don't like skinny running QB's long term.  

We have another top 10 pick in a QBless draft. Oh the pain. I don't see how any rookie QB can make it in this environment unless it's an Andrew Luck type and there's none of those. Pickings are slim on the FA market too. Hope we end up with an Orton type to hold the fort while developing a rookie. Then take another QB the next draft, too.

Is it already decided that Geno is done? Will they just cut him?

Sanchez is free agent

txs

I don't like skinny running QB's long term.  

I don't like any quarterbacks that require running to be effective, eventually, be it age or injury, they're forced to stay in the pocket and don't have success. Sort of what we were seeing with RG III.  I'd certainly take him over anything we've had in the last 6 years, but prefer Winston or Cook if he comes out.

Yeah let's accumulate like 12 picks...maybe 1 of them will make opening roster!

Lol. Well hopefully someone new is picking and hopefully they would get multiple firsts and or seconds. Maybe someone falls in love with Winston like they did RGIII

I don't like any quarterbacks that require running to be effective, eventually, be it age or injury, they're forced to stay in the pocket and don't have success. Sort of what we were seeing with RG III.  I'd certainly take him over anything we've had in the last 6 years, but prefer Winston or Cook if he comes out.

prefer dumb ass Winston ? Hilarious

WOW.

Spare me.

How many QBs can also play outfield and go in as a relief pitcher? For that matter, how many drafted baseball players can do this? The guy is a height, size, speed, strength, phenom. He also handled the issues pretty well. None of it effected his play. Plus he is only 20. Trust me his talent is ridiculous.

More garbage run rampant on the Jets board, what a surprise.

Whether you like Winston or not he is the best Qb prospect in the draft with Connor Cook deciding to go back for his senior year, apparently he hasn't banged out all the Michigan State sorority girls yet which is really the only reason to go back to school when you are practically guaranteed a top ten selection.

Anyone starting up with this winston is a thug garbage doesn't know the story of the real thug on the team Karlos Williams.  Williams beat his pregnant wife so bad that she actually posted pictures of her bruises on a social media site, not to mention his wanted by local police for an apparent robbery gone wrong involving drug dealers.  If Winston had any of these concerns I would say he is done as a football professional the same way some of you are writing him off already.  Instead he is a kid that was NOT convicted of a rape charge, who stole some crab legs, and then shouted an internet meme to a crowd of students.  

Nevermind golden GQ star Mark Sanchez was also accused of rape at USC, or that star quarterback in Pittsburgh who just threw for 500 yards last week.  I am not excusing the charges but the fact that they were dropped should mean people stop mentioning them like they did with Sanchez. 

Let's be honest Winston under the right offensive coach who holds him accountable will become a star, and for a jets team desperately needing one that would be a gift.  If he wins a superbowl for the jets then he can run around town jumping on tables at Nobu if he wants, we'll just label him eccentric the same way we did with Broadway Joe's fur coats, guarantees, and pantyhose commercials . 

Also let's stop with the great myth of Christian Hackenberg, who will not even be a top 15 pick when he comes out in the draft.  Sure, blame the lack of players around him for their losing but the bottom line is the kid isn't special to begin with, just north east bias on a kid who made a few great throws this season. I should also mention any GM looking toward the 2016 draft in 2014 should be fired immediately.   

WHy do you think he will be like Russell?

Both played with immensely talented teams that artificially inflated their perceived value by making them look better than they actually were (Matt Flynn won the NC with that LSU team), both great athletes with strong arms that just didn't have what it takes between the ears...

Watching Jets fans pine for this kid is like watching a trainwreck in slow motion that you're powerless to stop, no matter how hard you try.

Both played with immensely talented teams that artificially inflated their perceived value by making them look better than they actually were (Matt Flynn won the NC with that LSU team), both great athletes with strong arms that just didn't have what it takes between the ears...

Watching Jets fans pine for this kid is like watching a trainwreck in slow motion that you're powerless to stop, no matter how hard you try.

Jamarcus never played this well at this young of an age. Also, when the Texas Rangers drafted him he went to their baseball camp and they loved him. Loved his work ethic and are hopeful he chooses baseball instead of football. That alone tells me he is different than Russell. Don't judge him because he is dumb. He is still only 20. and Big Ben is not that smart either.

Archived