nick mangold gets all- pro nod for mid-season list

ebonix

AS PER BLEACHER-REPORT.......

...Nick Mangold is stuck being a great player on an awful team.

The Jets haven't had much to cheer about during their seven-game losing streak, but Mangold can't be blamed for the team's woes. Not only is Mangold Pro Football Focus' highest-rated center by a sizable margin, but the ninth-year veteran received the highest grade at his position in both run blocking and pass protection.

Too bad that versatility's wasted blocking for the likes of Chris Johnson and Geno Smith.

Nick Mangold, despite the criticism he gets amongst Jets Fans who can't seem to enjoy having a great player playing for us, IS in fact either the best, or one of the best, O-linemen in the NFL today.

He hasn't "taken a step back" as is so often claimed by Jets fans.  He is still amazingly good.....even if the pieces around him are not so good.

He is a future Hall of Famer in the making.....and seems, sadly, to be one of the least loved Jets players we have, with half of fans hoping we trade him asap, and half the fans thinking he already sucks now.

Nick Mangold, despite the criticism he gets amongst Jets Fans who can't seem to enjoy having a great player playing for us, IS in fact either the best, or one of the best, O-linemen in the NFL today.

He hasn't "taken a step back" as is so often claimed by Jets fans.  He is still amazingly good.....even if the pieces around him are not so good.

He is a future Hall of Famer in the making.....and seems, sadly, to be one of the least loved Jets players we have, with half of fans hoping we trade him asap, and half the fans thinking he already sucks now.

Great post and very true.  I still remember watching his first game as a Jet sitting next to his grandmother. 

The reason you trade him now isn't because he sucks or is unappreciated, but because 1) he's one of the only players on our roster who could bring back something of significant value like an early round draft pick, and 2) by the time we'll be ready to seriously contend, he'll be old and past it. I'd rather trade him for a pick that we can use to draft a young C who may not be as good as Mangold is now, but will be better a few years down the line when we're ready to make a run.

Our OL is 3rd oldest in the league. We're a rebuilding team, and we should start with the OL. SF would've been a perfect destination since their starting C just got injured and is out for the year. And for Nick, I'm sure he'd appreciate the chance to play for a contender in the late stages of his career rather than languishing on a 1-win Jets team.

Yeah, really don't think that's even remotely close to how the fan base views Nick Mangold. A couple internet reactionaries suggesting that either he sucks, should be traded, or both does not a pie chart make.

Yeah, really don't think that's even remotely close to how the fan base views Nick Mangold. A couple internet reactionaries suggesting that either he sucks, should be traded, or both does not a pie chart make.

Mangold had a couple years prior where he dipped. It's just the way it is. He's been great this year. I'm not sure how much value he holds to a franchise in a state like ours. If the Jets could actually swing a 1st for him I think you have to take it. As great as he's been for the Jets an all-world center simply isn't necessary to be a great team in today's game.

Mangold had a couple years prior where he dipped. It's just the way it is. He's been great this year. I'm not sure how much value he holds to a franchise in a state like ours. If the Jets could actually swing a 1st for him I think you have to take it. As great as he's been for the Jets an all-world center simply isn't necessary to be a great team in today's game.

If we can somehow transport ourselves to a universe where a 30 year old center can get back a first round pick, I'd take it. Percy Harvin was just traded for a conditional 6th rounder. Maybe we'd be looking at a solid fourth for Mangold. Maybe.

The reason you trade him now isn't because he sucks or is unappreciated, but because 1) he's one of the only players on our roster who could bring back something of significant value like an early round draft pick, and 2) by the time we'll be ready to seriously contend, he'll be old and past it. I'd rather trade him for a pick that we can use to draft a young C who may not be as good as Mangold is now, but will be better a few years down the line when we're ready to make a run.

Our OL is 3rd oldest in the league. We're a rebuilding team, and we should start with the OL. SF would've been a perfect destination since their starting C just got injured and is out for the year. And for Nick, I'm sure he'd appreciate the chance to play for a contender in the late stages of his career rather than languishing on a 1-win Jets team.

bad philosophy here. I'm not sure how many times I have to say it but in todays NFL with FA and superior atheletes coming out of college you can contend again over night if the right moves are made especially with a team like the Jets that have a large amount of cap space and what will amount to a high draft pick once this debacle of a season is over. There is no reason with the current talent the Jets have we can't contend again in a couple of years. This is not the NFL of the 70/80's where a 5 year rebuild plan was the norm

And then draft another Ducasse with that pick. No thank you. 

Vlad Ducasse is starting for Minny and doing better than Brian Winters ever did.

Why don't people hate Brian Winters as much as they hate Vlad Ducasse? Keep in mind Keenan Allen was still on the board when Winters was picked. 

as for mangold there were many many posters who said he was declining, based on nothing but his age. 30 BTW is not old for an offensive lineman. He has 5+ years left in him, maybe more. He's looking like an all time great at the position. They don't make college prospects like Nick mangold at center every year. Big strong fast and dominant. 

Vlad Ducasse is starting for Minny and doing better than Brian Winters ever did.

Why don't people hate Brian Winters as much as they hate Vlad Ducasse? Keep in mind Keenan Allen was still on the board when Winters was picked. 

as for mangold there were many many posters who said he was declining, based on nothing but his age. 30 BTW is not old for an offensive lineman. He has 5+ years left in him, maybe more. He's looking like an all time great at the position. They don't make college prospects like Nick mangold at center every year. Big strong fast and dominant. 

Thats why trading away players for picks with our scouting department is not a good idea. 

Archived