Michigan St QB Cook saying he will most likely return to college next year

faba

Connor Cook expects to return

Updated: October 31, 2014, 12:38 PM ET
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
  •  
  •  

Michigan State Handles Michigan
Connor Cook threw for 227 yards and one TD in No. 8 Michigan State's 35-11 win over Michigan.

Michigan State quarterback Connor Cook is barely halfway through his junior season but expects to return in 2015 for his final year.

Cook told reporters Thursday night that unless "things go really well," he will be back to lead the Spartans' offense as a senior. Cook, a native of Hinckley, Ohio, is 13-0 in Big Ten games as Michigan State's starter and last fall led the Spartans to a league championship and a Rose Bowl title.

"I've always talked about it with my parents and stuff, and you want to use up your eligibility," Cook said after Thursday's practice. "Michigan State's a great place, and I've had a lot of fun here and I had a lot of great relationships. You never want to kiss stuff goodbye.

"I looked at it the same way as graduating high school early to come to school. You only have one prom, you only go to high school once, you only go to college once is how I look at it."

The 6-foot-4, 218-pound Cook has completed 120 of 198 passes for 1,868 yards with 17 touchdowns and six interceptions this season. He has six 200-yard passing performances and 14 for his career, and last week he became the seventh Michigan State quarterback to record 40 career touchdown strikes.

ESPN NFL draft Insider Mel Kiper Jr. had ranked Cook as the fifth-best quarterback in his latest positional rankings.

Cook left the door open to a possible departure if he's projected as a high first-round draft pick but added, "I don't think that's gonna happen."

This kid has it all in my opinion. Amazing pocket awareness and can expose a defense with his intangibles. His accuracy and are strength are far better then Geno's was and Cook works under center much more than Mariota. I think anyone who is wanting that pocket passer, pro style offensive QB Cook has it. I feel like he could use some guidance but with a year or two under his belt he looks like the real deal. Really like this kid. We would be lucky to get him in the 2nd. I definitely say Cooper in the first no matter what.. but if we can get him I feel like he's the best option.

Discuss.

This kid has it all in my opinion. Amazing pocket awareness and can expose a defense with his intangibles. His accuracy and are strength are far better then Geno's was and Cook works under center much more than Mariota. I think anyone who is wanting that pocket passer, pro style offensive QB Cook has it. I feel like he could use some guidance but with a year or two under his belt he looks like the real deal. Really like this kid. We would be lucky to get him in the 2nd. I definitely say Cooper in the first no matter what.. but if we can get him I feel like he's the best option.

Discuss.

Looks like he wants to stay in school.

Connor Cook expects to return

Updated: October 31, 2014, 12:38 PM ET
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
  •  
  •  

Connor Cook threw for 227 yards and one TD in No. 8 Michigan State's 35-11 win over Michigan.

Michigan State quarterback Connor Cook is barely halfway through his junior season but expects to return in 2015 for his final year.

Cook told reporters Thursday night that unless "things go really well," he will be back to lead the Spartans' offense as a senior. Cook, a native of Hinckley, Ohio, is 13-0 in Big Ten games as Michigan State's starter and last fall led the Spartans to a league championship and a Rose Bowl title.

"I've always talked about it with my parents and stuff, and you want to use up your eligibility," Cook said after Thursday's practice. "Michigan State's a great place, and I've had a lot of fun here and I had a lot of great relationships. You never want to kiss stuff goodbye.

"I looked at it the same way as graduating high school early to come to school. You only have one prom, you only go to high school once, you only go to college once is how I look at it."

The 6-foot-4, 218-pound Cook has completed 120 of 198 passes for 1,868 yards with 17 touchdowns and six interceptions this season. He has six 200-yard passing performances and 14 for his career, and last week he became the seventh Michigan State quarterback to record 40 career touchdown strikes.

ESPN NFL draft Insider Mel Kiper Jr. had ranked Cook as the fifth-best quarterback in his latest positional rankings.

Cook left the door open to a possible departure if he's projected as a high first-round draft pick but added, "I don't think that's gonna happen."

This ******* Parcells.

I don't know what so many people here see in him, but to me he's remarkably unremarkable. Staying another year's probably the best thing for him from a developmental standpoint.

go check his career out on MSU's site - all he does is win.

go check his career out on MSU's site - all he does is win.

The eye test doesn't lie - to say he looks mediocre would be high praise. 11 for 29 against Nebraska - he couldn't even crack 38% against a college defense! Against Indiana, I saw bad throw after bad throw, a handful of which were almost picked, that ended up being completions only because his WRs made some absolutely beautiful catches.

I swear between him and Winston, I think the people on this site only read a stat sheet or listen to the BSPN talking heads when it comes to evaluating QB's, because there's nothing about their actual play that should merit the level of praise these two are receiving.

I like Cook, have to wonder about this decision. In theory the extra experience should be a plus but the QBs who have done this in recent years (Leinart, Brohm, Locker...etc) don't seem to have benefitted from staying.

I think there's a threshold you reach at the college level where you eventually have to move on because the pro game is simply too different in today's era. So you need to find a balance between adequate experience and when you're ready to be trained for a different form of the game.

The eye test doesn't lie - to say he looks mediocre would be high praise. 11 for 29 against Nebraska - he couldn't even crack 38% against a college defense! Against Indiana, I saw bad throw after bad throw, a handful of which were almost picked, that ended up being completions only because his WRs made some absolutely beautiful catches.

I swear between him and Winston, I think the people on this site only read a stat sheet or listen to the BSPN talking heads when it comes to evaluating QB's, because there's nothing about their actual play that should merit the level of praise these two are receiving.

well been watching him for 3 years....looks good to me...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/512705/connor-cook

I like Cook, have to wonder about this decision. In theory the extra experience should be a plus but the QBs who have done this in recent years (Leinart, Brohm, Locker...etc) don't seem to have benefitted from staying.

I think there's a threshold you reach at the college level where you eventually have to move on because the pro game is simply too different in today's era. So you need to find a balance between adequate experience and when you're ready to be trained for a different form of the game.

I think when someone gets it into his ear that position scarcity will push him into the top ten, he'll reconsider.

They go on youtube and watch highlight videos is how I'm pretty sure most the people on this board analyze college players.

He did say in the article that if he was told that he'd potentially be a "high first round pick" that he'd reconsider. Personally I prefer it when QBs stay in school for their senior year. They either come out more seasoned and ready for the NFL or, like you alluded to, expose themselves as not as good as previously thought.

LOL he is nothing like Tebow.  He can actually throw the ball and has a strong arm, good accuracy, pocket passer with good pocket awareness, and proper height to play the position.  He will be a very good NFL QB.  Ive watched every game he has played since I bleed the green and white.

LOL he is nothing like Tebow.  He can actually throw the ball and has a strong arm, good accuracy, pocket passer with good pocket awareness, and proper height to play the position.  He will be a very good NFL QB.  Ive watched every game he has played since I bleed the green and white.

MSU QBs have been doing pretty well at the pro level the past several years too, and Cook is definitely a better prospect than all the previous guys. It's odd, you don't think of Michigan St as a QB factory but that's exactly what it has become.

Agree 1000%. By far my favorite guy coming into this draft (if he does decide to enter). Would love to see him continue to be in green and white in the pros!

He's a great kid from a great family - his dad grew up and played ball with a good buddy and team mate of mine. Would love to have him in green for the connection component - but I don't think Connor has the goods - just not accurate and I've watched him plenty.

Archived