Sign in to follow this  
jgb

Mark Sanchez Talk - MERGED

Sanchez was better than Foles in college, if that means anything

Hence why he was a consensus top 2-3 QB in that draft.  Problem is he had a small sample size and spent a good deal of time throwing to wide open receivers.  And it was a very weak QB class.  So there's that.

Edited by Jetsfan80

Taco's final line tonight will look something like this:

26/32, 347 yards, 3 TD's, 0 INT's

But it won't really count because.

I can't remember the last time Sanchez had a turnover-free game.

You really think Taco has it in his DNA to have a turn-over free game?

Maybe if he has Braylon Edwards.

• Upvote 1

Sanchez looked good and so did that WR Jordan Matthews, who had 140 yards and 2td's last night on 7 catches. Yet another WR that should be a Jet. 

When Matthews caught that first TD I thought to myself, "Yep, hearing from Villain tomorrow."  lol.

Smash, don't you think we should slow down just a little? One good game against a secondary that is just as bad as ours doesn't make for Itoldyouso yet. This thing may boomerang back on you.

He also only completed 54 % of his throws against that awful secondary.  Let's see what kind of numbers he puts up on a real defense when throwing at that clip. 

Were you watching the game or did you just read the stat line? I counted a good 6-7 passes that bounced right off the hands of his WRs. There really weren't many errant throws on the night at all.

He also had a dropped pick the game before, which would have given him 3.  I'm not suggesting he hasn't progressed.  I am suggesting we need to wait a few weeks before assuming he's suddenly a real QB.

• Upvote 1

2012 season.

You stated he's ALWAYS been a real QB.  Except every year (including his 4th season in 2012) he has not been.  So I refuse to acknowledge his "real QBness" based on 2 games.

Then your football acumen is ass.

2009 - 35th in DVOA

2010 - 28th

2011 - 29th

2012 - 35th

It doesn't require any football acumen to acknowledge Sanchez has never been a "real QB".  It just IS.  The burden of proof is on Sanchez and his supporters to make that claim.  Maybe he's BECOME a real QB in Philly.  But arguing he ever WAS any good is another matter entirely.  In that it is an incorrect statement, plain and simple.

I choose to wait for more sample than just 2 games to claim that he has BECOME a real QB.

You don't even know what DVOA is.

Sanchez always had ability, the situation the Jets created from basically 2011 on was unworkable for any QB. It really isn't a surprise he looks like a different player in Philly. You didn't think he was a real QB here because you probably didn't have an understanding of how putrid of an environment this is here for a QB. Geno Smith actually looks worse than Sanchez ever did here.

It's average value per play.  For 4 years Sanchez was consistently well below the level of a league average QB even when factoring in his circumstances.

We did Sanchez no favors.  Our organization sucks.  Sanchez still can suck in spite of that being the case.  It's not a mutually exclusive conclusion.  A sh*tty organization used a top pick on a sh*tty QB.  Imagine that! 

He's in a better situation now and still threw 2 picks his first outing (and had a 3rd dropped).  His performance last night may well be a sign he's improved.  But he always sucked here.  Of that there is no doubt.  The question is whether he can keep up his current level of play.  My guess is he probably won't and Eagles fans will be glad to have Foles back healthy.

He sucked here to the point of absurdity because of the staff and the overall philosophy of Rex.

DVOA is a cool stat, but like pretty much all football stats its a team stat and outside the very best QB's it fluctuates year to year.

For Sanchez it never fluctuated.  He was consistently near the bottom.  Again, our organization and coaching staff did horribly by him.  But he still sucked. 

• Upvote 1

coming in with no prep last week and throwing a couple picks isn't a very fair assessment--especially when he won the game. who knows if he is the same player or a beneficiary of better circumstances but why can Rex's jets never put a QB in a position to succeed?

The # 1 reason why he will deservedly be getting fired; he has no answer to that question.

• Upvote 1

Lets see where he finishes this year...

I'll agree to that.  His performance will certainly be interesting to track.  And Max will love the post counts.

If you bothered to read my points on Sanchez it was more about players around him that was the issue 

So now that he has Jeremy Maclin, Jordan Matthews, Shady and Darren Sproles I wonder what the problem is?  I personally think he's not being pushed enough by Matt Barkley.

• Upvote 3

I'm FINALLY moving to Germany on the 29th after a half decade of preparation. I have opportunities available to me and my family there that simply isn't here for me in nyc. I want to start having kids, and being a product of the public school system myself I simply can't do that to my future children. From what I see the school system has dipped even further down the toilet bowl than I could have even thought. 

Nonetheless, I got to see the Jets beat the Steelers along with getting some good food from Tailgate Joe's and running into Max and his son before leaving. That wasn't a bad parting of ways gift. 

Good luck!  Germans love American Football a lot more than any other European country so you may well be able to carve out a role as a Jets scout. 

Thread died an hour ago. What's the haps?

This is a fairly Jet-esque performance, Shane.  Under 200 yds, INT, running game doing the heavy lifting.....You have plenty of other things to hang your hat on in the Rex-ruined-everything argument.  Sanchez doesn't need to be your key guy.

They have 67 yards rushing. How is that the heavy lifting?

Sanchez is the king of red zone picks.  Those 3 TD's are huge. 

They all came within the 2 or 3 yard line. Not that hard to punch it in with that stable of backs.

True.  I wonder why Sanchez's stat-line doesn't look much better than it did as a Jet with all the weapons he has?  So weird.

• Upvote 1

That fumble is his fault too?

Mark Sanchez is terrible at covering Dez Bryant.

When it comes to the things Mark Sanchez can control, how does he perform?  It must be exhausting listing off hundreds of excuses.  Much easier to simply admit he's just plain f*ckin terrible at football.

• Upvote 1

Better than Geno Smith.

Not helping.  Mark Sanchez was a top 5 pick.  Geno was a 2nd rounder.  Mark Sanchez set this franchise back 5 years because we gave him a costly contract extension.  We can, and will, move on from Geno much quicker with very little financial burden.

• Upvote 1

You know, it's the people you love that kill you in the end.

The fact that you have any love for Sanchez after what he did to this franchise makes you a sad, sad man.

Sanchez Sanchezing another team out of the playoffs is not as satisfying a thing as I imagined it would be. I kinda feel sick about it. Oh, oh wait no that's just gas. Yeah this is all pretty hilarious. This thread is going to make for some excellent necro material when I get into it.

Can't wait!

I just need to believe that there are coaches out there who can fix quarterbacks. I refuse to believe that QBs only come from the Magical QB Tree.

I think that talent evaluation is more important.  Pete Carroll was screaming that this kid wasn't ready.  Small sample size in college was screaming against us using a top pick on him.  Common sense screamed against us doubling down with a contract extension.  These are simple things that good organizations take into account.  

There's so few great QB's out there and you need to constantly be looking at new QB's in every draft.  We could have easily gotten Russell Wilson in 2012 and Jimmy Garoppolo this year, but for unknown reasons we didn't seem at all interested.  We seem to prefer to let the incumbent get innumerable chances rather than try to supplement the position, and then wonder why no one on our bench is good enough to supplant our sh*tty starter.  Meanwhile the Seahawks get pretty lucky with Wilson, who unexpectedly wayyy outperformed the expensive Flynn in camp in '12, and the Pats have Garoppolo on their team even when their starter is Brady.  

If there are no top QB prospects worth going after in a draft, the good orgs still find room in the middle rounds for QB's while we just don't do it.  It doesn't always work around but its worth a shot, because NO ONE knows how a QB will pan out for several years.  The Pats never knew what they had in Brady in the 6th round, but you can't know until you pull the trigger on one at least every other year or so.

• Upvote 1

I'm with you on all that. I still think watching Chip Kelly work with dudes like Sanchez and Foles is interesting as all get out.

Yet tonight proved even great mastermind coaches can't do sh*t with garbage like Sanchez.  You have to always be supplementing the QB position with fresh talent and hope the work your scouts put in ends up worth it and you get a hit.  You don't have to have an offense-minded HC to have strong QB play.  You don't even need to have perfect weapons either. But the QB has to have the ability first and foremost, THEN you build around him accordingly.

True. Very true. The failure of the contract extension and the failure of continuing to provide a reasonable surrounding talent is not on Mark Sanchez. We see what he is with good coaching and solid talent. A guy who can help a team win games but cannot win games for a team. Could Geno be that too on a different team? Maybe, maybe not but it's not going to be discovered in New York.

Both Sanchez and Geno have proved to be backup-level talent, nothing more.  We did neither any favors, mostly because the Jets are an awful organization, but had they been drafted by different teams, my guess is the results would not have been much different.  They'd end up backups eventually no matter where they started.

He's also a guy who can actively lose games for many teams. Let us not forget that one.

Yep.  He once managed to lose to Buffalo, despite 200+ yards from the running game, because he threw 5 picks.  Carl will come back and say he was only a rookie then, but little has changed here in year 6.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company