Mark Sanchez Talk - MERGED

jgb

The Eagles were 5-2 when Mark took over, and the Jaguars, Rams, Giants, and Redskins are hardly winning NFL teams and they lost to the 49ers. Not like the Eagles were shredding the league, and that was when they were healthy. Mark lost to the Seahawks, Packers, and Cowboys, all likely division champions with strong D's. Today was not on him at all.

The Eagles have the worst OL in the NFL due to injuries. Mark still went 37 of 50 for 375 and 2 TDs. The Eagles had a lead today and blew it on D. Sound familiar?

SAR I

He's 3-4 as a starter, he relieved in the Houston Texan game which made the Eagles 6-2.  I think he is a capable back-up, I don't think he is a long term starting cabiler QB.  His problem is he commits too many turnovers. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So....it's doesn't matter if you throw a back breaking pick on the would be game winning drive and spot the other team six points because for the rest of the game you did a great job of throwing 5 yard curls to TEs and swing passes to your RB vs a 3 win team who has one of the worst D's in the league.

The Eagles were 5-2 when Mark took over, and the Jaguars, Rams, Giants, and Redskins are hardly winning NFL teams and they lost to the 49ers. Not like the Eagles were shredding the league, and that was when they were healthy. Mark lost to the Seahawks, Packers, and Cowboys, all likely division champions with strong D's. Today was not on him at all.

The Eagles have the worst OL in the NFL due to injuries. Mark still went 37 of 50 for 375 and 2 TDs. The Eagles had a lead today and blew it on D. Sound familiar?

SAR I

I think Sanchez played great today.  We just moved up in the draft.  Awesome.

So....it's doesn't matter if you throw a back breaking pick on the would be game winning drive and spot the other team six points because for the rest of the game you did a great job of throwing 5 yard curls to TEs and swing passes to your RB vs a 3 win team who has one of the worst D's in the league.

No.  What matters is we may be back in the Amari Cooper sweepstakes. 

He's 3-4 as a starter, he relieved in the Houston Texan game which made the Eagles 6-2.  I think he is a capable back-up, I don't think he is a long term starting cabiler QB.  His problem is he commits too many turnovers.

But he did enough to win tonight's game. 37/50 375 2 TD's.

Mark didn't miss 2 field goals. Mark didn't commit 13 penalties. Mark didn't allow Desean Jackson to beat him for 50+ yard completions, twice. Mark didn't let the Skins march down the field. Mark didn't show questionable clock management under 2 minutes.

I just read a bunch of articles in the Philadelphia papers and they're crucifying Chip Kelly. Sloppy team, undisciplined, unprepared, too focused on one side of the ball. See, that didn't happen here because Rex Ryan is The Devil and knows how to snake-charm the media into creating the quarterback scapegoat.

Mark isn't the second-coming of Peyton Manning but he's a hell of a lot better than anything we've seen since he got hurt and we'll never know what might have been had he had a better head coach who wasn't hell-bent on recreating the 1985 Chicago Bears in an era where the NFL hates defense.

SAR I

It's impossible to judge Mark Sanchez:

2009: Rookie, showed flashes

2010: Great season, such potential

2011: No support, no running game, no targets

2012: Worst OC in the league and Tebow

2013: Rex injures him in preseason

2014: Off the bench in a new system

You know my discussion forum history, you know my feelings on losers like Testaverde and Pennington, I'm the first to kill a quarterback when the signs are there. Problem with Mark is, we've seen too much good in him and his fall can be just as much due to the circumstances around him as it could be with he himself.

SAR I

I don't agree with your early assessment of him and neither do the standard nor advanced metrics. Regardless of that, the one constant with Sanchez is that he's a turnover machine. That's the same now as it was 6 years ago. No amout of "flashes" nor "promise" nor team around him can overcome that. The evidence bears this out... The hypotheticals can say whatever the speaker wants them to.

The hypotheticals can say whatever the speaker wants them to.

So can the metrics.

If Mark's stats from 2009 and 2010 were to be trusted, the Jets never made the post-season, never won 4 playoff games, never had 5 miracle fourth quarter comebacks. I guess all that adrenalin and jumping and high-fiving I remember in epic comeback wins against the Texans, Broncos, Lions, Browns, and Steelers and all those playoff shockers against the Bengals, Chargers, Colts, and Patriots were a mirage. The stats say it never happened.

SAR I

So can the metrics.

If Mark's stats from 2009 and 2010 were to be trusted, the Jets never made the post-season, never won 4 playoff games, never had 5 miracle fourth quarter comebacks. I guess all that adrenalin and jumping and high-fiving I remember in epic comeback wins against the Texans, Broncos, Lions, Browns, and Steelers and all those playoff shockers against the Bengals, Chargers, Colts, and Patriots were a mirage. The stats say it never happened.

SAR I

juan-over-juan-equals-gay-m.jpg

Once again Mark executed the offensive game-plan to perfection and once again everyone on the team let him down. Poor kid.

Once again the Eagles fell behind early and often and threw the balanced attack out the window, had to throw the ball everywhere and play catch-up because the special teams and the defense blew it.

And once they did catch-up, and once they did get a lead, the special teams and the defense blew it a second time.

That's the story of this game. But blame Mark Sanchez. Because he misses field goals, commits 13 penalties, can't get a pass rush, and gets beat for 50 yard bombs. This is the 2011 Jets all over again. Defense gets lit up early, running game can't get going, throw the ball 50 times, lose. You'd think you Jets fans would learn your lesson. After seeing Geno and Rex for two years, we know who the villain is here.

SAR I

So can the metrics.If Mark's stats from 2009 and 2010 were to be trusted, the Jets never made the post-season, never won 4 playoff games, never had 5 miracle fourth quarter comebacks. I guess all that adrenalin and jumping and high-fiving I remember in epic comeback wins against the Texans, Broncos, Lions, Browns, and Steelers and all those playoff shockers against the Bengals, Chargers, Colts, and Patriots were a mirage. The stats say it never happened.SAR I

smile-zoom-in.gif

But he did enough to win tonight's game. 37/50 375 2 TD's.

Mark didn't miss 2 field goals. Mark didn't commit 13 penalties. Mark didn't allow Desean Jackson to beat him for 50+ yard completions, twice. Mark didn't let the Skins march down the field. Mark didn't show questionable clock management under 2 minutes.

I just read a bunch of articles in the Philadelphia papers and they're crucifying Chip Kelly. Sloppy team, undisciplined, unprepared, too focused on one side of the ball. See, that didn't happen here because Rex Ryan is The Devil and knows how to snake-charm the media into creating the quarterback scapegoat.

Mark isn't the second-coming of Peyton Manning but he's a hell of a lot better than anything we've seen since he got hurt and we'll never know what might have been had he had a better head coach who wasn't hell-bent on recreating the 1985 Chicago Bears in an era where the NFL hates defense.

SAR I

I am usually with you  but you clearly are drinking.  You trashed Pennington for years.  mark is what we saw tonite.   A pick machine too worried about anything other than football.  He cant protect the ball. Its that simple.

Could of...should of...would of. That's the story of Marc Sanchez. Perhaps he shouldn't have been thrown to the lions in year one.  Perhaps Jet braintrust did not do enough to further his development. Perhaps he should have had better QB coaches and offensive coordinators. And maybe Rex Ryan should have been a better Head coach and benched him more when he deserved it.

Could of...should of...would of. The horses have left the barn. Sanchez is what he is, and that's nothing but a turnover machine and thus is nothing but a back up QB.

I found this off the internet. SAR, the #'s don't lie...

on paper Sanchez wasn't worth the stuff one uses to relieve oneself. Was terrible on Jets -with a 72 career qb rating before Chip chucked Eagles 2014 season relying on such trash to be his primary backup. Sanchez proved in his Jets career that he was incredibly inaccurate, a terrible arm, and even worse decision making. Sanchez had little to do with Jets success.

from Bob Ford a month ago: "When he was successful with New York, it was for a team that had a dominating defense and a strong running game, and the quarterback wasn't always asked to do a lot.

In his rookie year, as the Jets made the playoffs by beating Indianapolis and Cincinnati in the final two games, Sanchez threw 19 and 16 passes, respectively, and had quarterback ratings of 78.0 and 60.2. The Colts rested Peyton Manning in the first game, and the Jets' defense shut out Cincinnati in the second.

The Jets then won two postseason games ... beat Cincinnati with an offense of 15 passes and 41 rushes, then beat San Diego on a day the defense set up the go-ahead touchdown with an interception and Sanchez had a rating of 60.1.

In 2010, the Jets were 11-5 with Sanchez posting a season rating of 75.3, and they ddn't have to fight through any big games at the end. In the playoffs ... Jets beat Indianapolis, 17-16, in a defensive struggle, then beat the Patriots,
28-21, in what was truly the game of Sanchez's career. ... had a rating of 17.3 ... nitpicker would point out that three of New York's four touchdown drives began in New England territory.

The Jets were 8-5 in 2011 and headed for the playoffs again before they lost their last three games to fall out of contention. Sanchez had ratings of 67.8, 54.2, and 65.5 in those games.

In 2012 ...Sanchez ..an overall rating of 66.9.

It's not pretty, but that's the "big game" resumé of Mark Sanchez ..."
[Everybody then also ignores the playoff games Sanchez lost. Bottom line: he had one impressive performance in a playoff win out of 6 games.]

Once again the Eagles fell behind early

SAR I

If only poor widdle Marky hadn't fumbled the ball away early, the Eagles wouldn't have fell behind early.

Oh wait, I watched the replay and I see where Rex Ryan ran out on the field and caused that fumble so Widdle Marky was not at fault

Unbelievably, we've found in SAR Y, a Mark-ite who is as delusional as even the most delusional Tebow-ite was about Tim

Remember the Gainesville nutjobs during the Tebow year? They always referred to him as Timmy. sh*t was creepy as all hell.

The thing that really pisses me off about Mark is how he single-handedly destroyed Jeremy's fantasy worth. Jordan hasn't been great these last couple of weeks either. Maybe I should blame Chip? I miss Nick. And Ronaldinho.

Once again the Eagles fell behind early and often and threw the balanced attack out the window, had to throw the ball everywhere and play catch-up because the special teams and the defense blew it.

And once they did catch-up, and once they did get a lead, the special teams and the defense blew it a second time.

That's the story of this game. But blame Mark Sanchez. Because he misses field goals, commits 13 penalties, can't get a pass rush, and gets beat for 50 yard bombs. This is the 2011 Jets all over again. Defense gets lit up early, running game can't get going, throw the ball 50 times, lose. You'd think you Jets fans would learn your lesson. After seeing Geno and Rex for two years, we know who the villain is here.

SAR I

Very funny, Courtney.

Sanchez will tease with a quarter or 2 of good play just like he did in NY but in the end, when it matters most, the real Sanchez emerges.

At this point why anyone thinks he will be any different is beyond reason.

When Foles got hurt he had a chance to resurrect himself by keeping the Eagles in contention and predictably he failed.

I am usually with you  but you clearly are drinking.  You trashed Pennington for years.  mark is what we saw tonite.   A pick machine too worried about anything other than football.  He cant protect the ball. Its that simple.

Mark made 49 throws that didn't cause any trouble, gave the Eagles a nice lead in a game their defense and special teams blew on numerous occassions. Mark made 1 throw he'd wish back.

If you watched the game you saw a porous OL and Mark scrambling for a ton of yardage instead of lying back and taking a sack, some nice throws on the run, and very careful ball protection and conversion in the red zone. As a rushed-into-duty backup in a new system after a year injured he played well enough to win and wasn't to blame for the loss. That's the point.

SAR I

Mark made 49 throws that didn't cause any trouble, gave the Eagles a nice lead in a game their defense and special teams blew on numerous occassions. Mark made 1 throw he'd wish back.

If you watched the game you saw a porous OL and Mark scrambling for a ton of yardage instead of lying back and taking a sack, some nice throws on the run, and very careful ball protection and conversion in the red zone. As a rushed-into-duty backup in a new system after a year injured he played well enough to win and wasn't to blame for the loss. That's the point.

SAR I

If you had to start the season next year with Chad 2006   or Mark who would it be???

So can the metrics.

SAR I

Show me the metrics that say Mark Sanchez is a good QB.  Is it playoff wins?  Because, that's a team statistic, and then I guess Rex Grossman nearly winning a Super Bowl, would be up there in those metrics too.

It seems obvious now that all the "adrenalin and jumping and high-fiving" is leading you to an emotional judgment.  You acknowledge that.  However, a bad QB can win games too, big ones.  It's not like Sanchez is an invalid and he was playing on a team with the #1 defense and the #1 rushing game.  He can throw a football, he just throws it to the wrong team far too many times.

Ultimately, there's always been an excuse for Sanchez.  Someone's always let him down.  And, if that's the way you want to look at it, then I'm sure you will never be able to evaluate Mark Sanchez in his career.  He will always have the "incomplete" you've assigned him and you'll always have the memory of the hi-fives to hold onto as evidence that he's a good QB.  But, he's played on teams, again with top defenses and rushing games and now with what was a top offense until he got there.  Still, he was "let down."  Regardless of the fact that he "came in cold" this season, he's leading the league in turnovers since week 9.  But, there can always be an excuse if you want there to be.  Mark Sanchez continues to be one of the leagues worst starting QBs, regardless of what is happening around him.

Archived