Nick Foles

Integrity28

Philly apparently "soured" on him. Hell, we could usually do worse. If somehow Marty and Rex stick around, it could be a longshot move for us... "somehow".

ick Foles - QB - Eagles

The Newark Star-Ledger reports members in the Eagles organization, including GM Howie Roseman, had "soured" on Nick Foles even before he broke his collarbone in Week 9.

"I think Howie is looking at quarterbacks," a league source told NJ.com. "He's kind of soured on Foles, and I don't think he's alone. The organization isn't sold that he's the guy going forward. Let's just say the way things were going, he wasn't going to get a contract extension that's for sure." Foles is eligible for an extension in the offseason. After posting a ridiculous 27:2 TD:INT ratio across 13 games and 10 starts last season, Foles took a step back before getting hurt. He's tossed the second-most interceptions (10) behind only Blake Bortles and is averaging a weak 6.9 YPA. We're not sold on Foles being the quarterback of the future anywhere, let alone Philadelphia. Andy Reid and Marty Mornhinweg drafted Foles.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outside of the obvious shaming-Rex angle, I think the possible resurrection of Sanchez by Chip Kelly's is going to be a fascinating story to watch. If Sanchez plays well, after seeing Foles playing well in that system, the NFL is going to look like the PAC-10 in a few years, with a bunch of college offenses taking the place of the traditional NFL offense that requires you to have the great QB all the time.

will kind of kill the whole "what jets player has actually done anything since leaving jets?" argument that rex isn't horrible at offensive talent development when sanchez is the qb of the present and future in a chip kelly offense

will kind of kill the whole "what jets player has actually done anything since leaving jets?" argument that rex isn't horrible at offensive talent development when sanchez is the qb of the present and future in a chip kelly offense

Players don't leave the Jets is the problem.

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

The reason that the Eagles are giving up on Foles is because the book is essentially out on him. Bring constant pressure up the middle and sell out to contain McCoy. Kelly's system is not a system that any quarterback can just jump into and play well, and it does not appear that Kelly coached up Foles so much as he did mask his shortcomings temporarily. The reason that Kelly saw some immediate success with Foles is because he uses a different variation of zone reads and formations that you mostly see in high school and college. The reason that his offense has plummeted in both DVOA and Weighted Offense is simple, there is now a sufficient amount of tape to study for defensive coordinators. I think the loss of Jackson has played a part, but much less of a role than Kelly making his rounds around the league. I think if he does not make some serious adjustments in his philosophy his problems are only going to get worse.

I do not see what evidence there is to think Sanchez will fair any better, or that Kelly will coach him up. Sanchez was already a turnover prone guy way before he got to Kelly.

That may be true, Rutgers, but Kelly has been a fan of Sanchez since high school:

"I saw Mark play in high school," Kelly said. "I saw Mark in high school practice when I was the coach at New Hampshire. I actually recruited the quarterback who played after Mark to play at the University of New Hampshire.

"I'm very familiar with him. I coached against him when I was at Oregon. I saw what a great athlete he was at the quarterback spot and what a great arm he has. I saw it at Oregon. I saw it at the NFL when we looked at film. Just because I have familiarity with the guy it isn't 'Let's sign him because I know him.' He's a hell of a quarterback."

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/11/chip_kelly_mark_sanchez_is_a_hell_of_a_quarterback.html

That may be true, Rutgers, but Kelly has been a fan of Sanchez since high school:

"I saw Mark play in high school," Kelly said. "I saw Mark in high school practice when I was the coach at New Hampshire. I actually recruited the quarterback who played after Mark to play at the University of New Hampshire.

"I'm very familiar with him. I coached against him when I was at Oregon. I saw what a great athlete he was at the quarterback spot and what a great arm he has. I saw it at Oregon. I saw it at the NFL when we looked at film. Just because I have familiarity with the guy it isn't 'Let's sign him because I know him.' He's a hell of a quarterback."

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/11/chip_kelly_mark_sanchez_is_a_hell_of_a_quarterback.html

I'm sure he was. I know it's fun to speculate, but I just think we need to be careful about the labels we assign these guys. He's been in the league for 24 games and there has already been a significant drop in efficiency. One of the least efficient QBs is now at the helm of said offense, and he didn't look all that different than he had in the past. Kelly needs a prototypical NFL QB just like anyone else does if he hopes to have sustainable success. It is and will always be the only way.

The thing is, there is a disconnect between fan opinion of Sanchez and the opinion of those in the NFL. These are from two NFC execs:

. "Nothing against Foles, but I think Sanchez will be just fine in that offense. I think it will run the same way. Actually, there are probably some things from an athletic standpoint that Sanchez will do, that Foles couldn't do.

"Sanchez will probably run a little more, or at least be a threat to run more which might make that read-option a little tougher to defend, too.''

Another executive was asked to assess Sanchez and how he thinks he'll play over the final eight weeks of the season.

"Which Sanchez?'' he asked. "The one in Chip Kelly's offense will be fine. With Chip coaching him, he'll do better than he ever did with the Jets.

"Sanchez is streaky. That's how he's always been. He's a real good athlete. He has a strong arm. He's just been inconsistent his whole career. But with Chip, he stands a real good chance of playing the best he's ever played.''

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/11/rival_executives_dont_think_eagles_will_look_much_different_with_mark_sanchez_at_quarterback.html

The thing is, there is a disconnect between fan opinion of Sanchez and the opinion of those in the NFL. These are from two NFC execs:

. "Nothing against Foles, but I think Sanchez will be just fine in that offense. I think it will run the same way. Actually, there are probably some things from an athletic standpoint that Sanchez will do, that Foles couldn't do.

"Sanchez will probably run a little more, or at least be a threat to run more which might make that read-option a little tougher to defend, too.''

Another executive was asked to assess Sanchez and how he thinks he'll play over the final eight weeks of the season.

"Which Sanchez?'' he asked. "The one in Chip Kelly's offense will be fine. With Chip coaching him, he'll do better than he ever did with the Jets.

"Sanchez is streaky. That's how he's always been. He's a real good athlete. He has a strong arm. He's just been inconsistent his whole career. But with Chip, he stands a real good chance of playing the best he's ever played.''

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/11/rival_executives_dont_think_eagles_will_look_much_different_with_mark_sanchez_at_quarterback.html

I don't think that's a disconnect as much as it is dissonance. Sanchez is a sexy prospect and always will be because of the physical tools he brings to the table. There will always be some sort of hope that he can be coached up, especially now while he is still young. End of the day, no team can sustain itself when your QB is throwing 1/1 for touchdowns to interceptions. And even Kelly can't mask that, especially since there is plenty of tape already out on Sanchez. Watch some of that game from last week if you can, he's still the same guy.

The admiration for Chip Kelly and this offense is getting me to the point of being a complete Kelly hater.   There are like 5 teams with better overall offense from a yards and scoring perspective, the ******* Ravens being one of those teams.  People talk about their speed and how fast they run plays...the Pats operate faster, run more plays and are better in almost every offensive category.

What have the Eagles accomplished?  Kelly has 16 wins so far in the NFL, 2 vs. winning teams.  1 vs. a Rodgers-less Packers team last year and this year they beat the Colts when they were 0-2.  That's it.  The only 2 teams they've beat with winning records.  Then they got bounced by a team with a winning record 1st round of the playoffs.

His system isnt flawless and perfect for any QB.  Foles and Sanchez are throwing picks.  He's not doing anything ground breaking here. This hype is starting to drive me a little crazy. 

As for Foles and the Jets.  I have my doubts that the Eagles have truly soured on Foles, who's what 14 and 3 or something like that?  But if they were, absolutely you bring him in.  The Jets need to try, try and try again until it happens.  This stupid ******* league has made it completely dependent on 1 position.  This isn't the greatest team sport anymore.  Its, who's got the best QB? 

Assuming Sanchez starts all the remaining games and goes 5-3, while throwing for 2200 yards, 12+TDs and <5 ints. Then Sanchez wants to test the FA. 

Do you think Jets would pursue him? If so, would Sanchez come here. Its a scenario (above) that is very likely to happen. Sanchez has the talent and now he will show it imo. Always been a Sanchez supporter. I don't think he'll be a pro bowler, but certainly isn't the bust we made him ought to be. 

The admiration for Chip Kelly and this offense is getting me to the point of being a complete Kelly hater.   There are like 5 teams with better overall offense from a yards and scoring perspective, the ******* Ravens being one of those teams.  People talk about their speed and how fast they run plays...the Pats operate faster, run more plays and are better in almost every offensive category.

What have the Eagles accomplished?  Kelly has 16 wins so far in the NFL, 2 vs. winning teams.  1 vs. a Rodgers-less Packers team last year and this year they beat the Colts when they were 0-2.  That's it.  The only 2 teams they've beat with winning records.  Then they got bounced by a team with a winning record 1st round of the playoffs.

His system isnt flawless and perfect for any QB.  Foles and Sanchez are throwing picks.  He's not doing anything ground breaking here. This hype is starting to drive me a little crazy. 

As for Foles and the Jets.  I have my doubts that the Eagles have truly soured on Foles, who's what 14 and 3 or something like that?  But if they were, absolutely you bring him in.  The Jets need to try, try and try again until it happens.  This stupid ******* league has made it completely dependent on 1 position.  This isn't the greatest team sport anymore.  Its, who's got the best QB? 

So Sanchez may succeed with what is considered less than stellar coaching? Yikes!

Completely agree with that. 

So Sanchez may succeed with what is considered less than stellar coaching? Yikes!

That what you got from my post? Haha

Kelly might be a great coach, who knows, he certainly hasn't done anything to support that type of a claim but he's not even 2 years in, so maybe he truly is.

I just think this, his system is ground breaking and changing the game talk, is utter bull sh*t.

I don't think that's a disconnect as much as it is dissonance. Sanchez is a sexy prospect and always will be because of the physical tools he brings to the table. There will always be some sort of hope that he can be coached up, especially now while he is still young. End of the day, no team can sustain itself when your QB is throwing 1/1 for touchdowns to interceptions. And even Kelly can't mask that, especially since there is plenty of tape already out on Sanchez. Watch some of that game from last week if you can, he's still the same guy.

I agree with this, but "being the same guy" might not be a bad thing if he's making better decisions via Kelly's offense. Sanchez had some good games with the Jets. That can't be forgotten. But the narrative from the Jets side is that Sanchez was always Geno bad.

That what you got from my post? Haha

Kelly might be a great coach, who knows, he certainly hasn't done anything to support that type of a claim but he's not even 2 years in, so maybe he truly is.

I just think this, his system is ground breaking and changing the game talk, is utter bull sh*t.

So far , the results prove otherwise. 

But who knows what the future holds. Maybe, as was the case with Rexy, he will be proven a sheep in wolves clothing.

i hear david nelson is doing well in haiti

Every time he, or Stephen Hill, or Dustin Keller (another first rounder brought to you by the Mangenius), or Jalen Saunders catches another TD pass, I'm reminded of what a piss poor job Rex did developing all that talent.

It doesn't get better than this-We are wanting for the qb that Sanchez has better favor than in another organization.

it's all about the dollar bills..........if they perform realitively close why pay big bucks when you have another for less..........simple economics.........ps foles is 10 times better than anyone we have.

Every time he, or Stephen Hill, or Dustin Keller (another first rounder brought to you by the Mangenius), or Jalen Saunders catches another TD pass, I'm reminded of what a piss poor job Rex did developing all that talent.

keep riding that pony you got a week or two before the sanchez comeback stories start dominating ESPN.

is there any doubt that sanchez will be comeback player of the year this year???

Assuming Sanchez starts all the remaining games and goes 5-3, while throwing for 2200 yards, 12+TDs and <5 ints. Then Sanchez wants to test the FA. 

Do you think Jets would pursue him? If so, would Sanchez come here. Its a scenario (above) that is very likely to happen. Sanchez has the talent and now he will show it imo. Always been a Sanchez supporter. I don't think he'll be a pro bowler, but certainly isn't the bust we made him ought to be. 

woody didn't bring back revis who was better no way in hell would he or should he bring back suckchez.

Archived