The Nets Thread Where Tom Talks to Himself

T0mShane

So, it sounds like Kylie is a done deal, and it’s being alleged that the Nets believe they’re getting KD, too. They just traded for Taurean Prince, who is one of KD’s besties, and are trying to hire Mike Miller, who is close with both Kyrie and KD. May also get Julius Randle, to boot. Wtf 

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, it sounds like Kylie is a done deal, and it’s being alleged that the Nets believe they’re getting KD, too. They just traded for Taurean Prince, who is one of KD’s besties, and are trying to hire Mike Miller, who is close with both Kyrie and KD. May also get Julius Randle, to boot. Wtf 

Adding Kyrie goes against pretty much everything the Nets have done to date.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Adding Kyrie goes against pretty much everything the Nets have done to date.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, it’s a little disappointing. They’re a scrappy, young team and they’re going to add Kyrie Marbury?

My dad and I were talking about this last night.  It seems like when Mangini and the Jets went for Favre.  You change the culture and then instead of staying the course go right back to what hasn't worked in the past.  I wonder if Atkinson can handle these guys. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

My dad and I were talking about this last night.  It seems like when Mangini and the Jets went for Favre.  You change the culture and then instead of staying the course go right back to what hasn't worked in the past.  I wonder if Atkinson can handle these guys. 

I mean, Atkinson got DLo to play hard, and if Kyrie knows he’s got KD coming, maybe he suppresses his dickishness for awhile 

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, Atkinson got DLo to play hard, and if Kyrie knows he’s got KD coming, maybe he suppresses his dickishness for awhile 

I don't know.  He didn't seem particularly prepared for the playoffs.  Russell bought in, but how many guys are going to?  After they dump the guys that got them to this point players will be less likely to buy in and do the dirty work and possibly hurt their future earnings.

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know.  He didn't seem particularly prepared for the playoffs.  Russell bought in, but how many guys are going to?  After they dump the guys that got them to this point players will be less likely to buy in and do the dirty work and possibly hurt their future earnings.

Agreed. I hated seeing RHJ non-tendered and Demarre Carroll basically released. Carroll, in particular, was a great veteran presence. You really wonder what happens from here

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed. I hated seeing RHJ non-tendered and Demarre Carroll basically released. Carroll, in particular, was a great veteran presence. You really wonder what happens from here

If RHJ had a 3pt shot he might have stayed, but he really didn’t have a spot anymore. His whole offensive game never really developed. Shame, he was a good vet as well. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2019 at 10:12 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Yea cuz Favre wasn’t better than noodle arm and Phillip Rivers clipboard holder

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Yea cuz Favre wasn’t better than noodle arm and Phillip Rivers clipboard holder

You show a remarkable ability to miss the point.  Getting guys just because they are "better" is exactly how you blow up a "culture."  I am fine with the "Just win, baby!" mindset, but the two styles don't go together and the Kenny Atkinson Nets have been all about culture.

14 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Sean Marks deserves a statue. How anyone can turn around that Nuclear bombshell of a trade into this is amazing. Unlike the Lakers they also have young depth behind it as well. 

It's truly surreal. If Irving keeps his head on his shoulders, this is a banner day

• Upvote 1

IMO, it's not even arguable that Brooklyn>>>>>>>>>>>>>midtown Manhattan, which is like living inside a Gucci outlet. I hate midtown so much I won't even leave Grand Central when I train in. I get right on the subway and shoot up to Queens or to Brooklyn. Midtown is a capitalist sh*thole. 

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, it's not even arguable that Brooklyn>>>>>>>>>>>>>midtown Manhattan, which is like living inside a Gucci outlet. I hate midtown so much I won't even leave Grand Central when I train in. I get right on the subway and shoot up to Queens or to Brooklyn. Midtown is a capitalist sh*thole. 

Midtown is arguably the worst area of NY. 

Where do you live?

• Upvote 1

Tom, if all of the rumors come through, congrats - I think. 

I've been a Knicks first, Nets second BB fan since 1969. Highlights included the Knicks playoff games in MSG in the two years they lost, '71 and '72. Saw the Nets play in the Coliseum during the regular season on and off before '75 -so I got to see Julius and the great teams before the ABA merged and Roy Boe The Dick sold off Julius to close the merger deal. I always thought that intact Nets team would have won an NBA championship.

Since the Nets are further ahead of the Knicks (and they don't have Evil Dolan lurking in the tunnels beneath the Barkley Center,) these deals for high priced vets might work out OK. I actually feel the Knicks should sign NO tier one FA's, and go for guys like Randle and DeLo, and keep building. The Knicks have repeatedly shown that they cannot resist the shiny bauble and overpay (see Amare S, Carmelo, et. al. forever,) so I don't trust them on anything. They will probably stink for another season, Dolan will lose patience, fire everyone but Steve Mills and once again hire Isiah Thomas, Pariah In Chief, to run his idiot farm yet again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

Tom, if all of the rumors come through, congrats - I think. 

I've been a Knicks first, Nets second BB fan since 1969. Highlights included the Knicks playoff games in MSG in the two years they lost, '71 and '72. Saw the Nets play in the Coliseum during the regular season on and off before '75 -so I got to see Julius and the great teams before the ABA merged and Roy Boe The Dick sold off Julius to close the merger deal. I always thought that intact Nets team would have won an NBA championship.

Since the Nets are further ahead of the Knicks (and they don't have Evil Dolan lurking in the tunnels beneath the Barkley Center,) these deals for high priced vets might work out OK. I actually feel the Knicks should sign NO tier one FA's, and go for guys like Randle and DeLo, and keep building. The Knicks have repeatedly shown that they cannot resist the shiny bauble and overpay (see Amare S, Carmelo, et. al. forever,) so I don't trust them on anything. They will probably stink for another season, Dolan will lose patience, fire everyone but Steve Mills and once again hire Isiah Thomas, Pariah In Chief, to run his idiot farm yet again. 

I want Russell.  Pass on Randle

On 6/21/2019 at 3:35 PM, #27TheDominator said:

You show a remarkable ability to miss the point.  Getting guys just because they are "better" is exactly how you blow up a "culture."  I am fine with the "Just win, baby!" mindset, but the two styles don't go together and the Kenny Atkinson Nets have been all about culture.

How did Mangini’s “culture” look in 2007? Or how about after Favre injured his arm and Mangini took the “culture” to the Browns?

I loved watching the Nets this past season.  Young and scrappy bunch of guys who all bought into the system.  Taking a page out of the Jets playbook, Atkinson is a PG (the QB of an NBA team) whisperer.  DeAngelo had a pretty bad rep before he played for Kenny.  If the same can be done with Kyrie they will be pretty good in '19-'20.  In fact, better than last year.  The supporting players of Caris, Dinwiddie, Joe Harris, Jarrett Allen, Kurucs, and Prince is a nice group.  I also have hope for Nic Claxton.

Any day the Red Sox lose, the Yankees win and the Knicks remain irrelevant is a great day for me.

• Upvote 1

Cant believe Marks and Atkinson pulled this off.  There is risk, but the fact that two marquee FAs chose Brooklyn is so awesome.  The young guys need to take another step in their development and hold it down until KD comes back.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Looks like they’re doing a sign and trade to send Russell to Minnesota.

Russell to Golden State

I love the scrappy young Nets and loved how they were building a franchise. I hate Irving and Durant so it's a bittersweet moment for me. Luckily Dinwittie and LeVert are super likable. 

• Upvote 3