The Nets Thread Where Tom Talks to Himself

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Game, blouses.

Russell to Golden State   I love the scrappy young Nets and loved how they were building a franchise. I hate Irving and Durant so it's a bittersweet moment for me. Luckily Dinwittie and LeVe

yeah if there’s one guy everyone was hoping would get a ring, it’s [squints at cue cards] James Harden

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2019 at 11:34 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Chicago is hella dysfunctional though. Every relationship they have with their stars always seems to end poorly. So far as the Wolves, they sure do seem like a roster full of young dudes that don't have much of an interest in pushing themselves, and Thibs is a notorious hardo. And the Sixers, who knows, they're motley as well. Embiid seems like the type of guy that tries to put his dick on your shoulder when you're trying to eat lunch, and **** that.

Maybe Butler's a jackoff, sure, but these are also some weird ******* situations he's been forced into and Butler is a legitimate star talent that none of these teams have even tried to structure their plans around.

Game, blouses.

• Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

James Harden is a Net, per Adrian Wojnarowski.  Wow.

Caris LeVert, 4 first round picks and 4 pick swaps go to Houston.  Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince to Cleveland as well.

Rockets will flip LeVert for Victor Oladipo.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Albaniajet said:

Fell sorry for KD, Kyrie and Harden.  Most likable nets team in a long time and they worked really hard to get to this point

What the **** are you talking about?  They were super likeable overachieving with Levert, Allen, Dimwiddie and Russell under Atkinson.  The people you should feel sorry for aren't KD, Kyrie and Harden.  It's the supporting guys that worked their asses off to keep the team afloat while those guys spend their time injured.  Guys like Uncle Jeff and Brown.  I'd include Beef Jerky Joe Harris, but after he crushed the Celtics in game 2, he fell off a cliff and was a big part of their ouster.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

When two out of the three are hurt, it can't be much of a surprise.  Also, GFY.  ;)

Dream teams are frequently assembled "on paper" and where the age, injury history and basic compatibility of the players concerned can be overlooked.  Then fans act all shocked and sometimes even get bent out of shape, if you can credit such a notion when the utterly predictable injuries start to happen.

Go figure.

Meanwhile Milwaukee is a team that looks to have been built the right way from the start.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, EM31 said:

Dream teams are frequently assembled "on paper" and where the age, injury history and basic compatibility of the players concerned can be overlooked.  Then fans act all shocked and sometimes even get bent out of shape, if you can credit such a notion when the utterly predictable injuries start to happen.

Go figure.

Meanwhile Milwaukee is a team that looks to have been built the right way from the start.

Hence why a couple of the "super teams" we've seen in recent years needed a full year get to their highest level (if they ever do).  Like when the Heat added LeBron but lost to the Mavericks.  Or when the Cavaliers put LeBron, Kyrie and Love together but they didn't win the title until their 2nd season.  

20 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Fell sorry for KD, Kyrie and Harden.  Most likable nets team in a long time and they worked really hard to get to this point

yeah if there’s one guy everyone was hoping would get a ring, it’s [squints at cue cards] James Harden

• Haha 3
11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hence why a couple of the "super teams" we've seen in recent years needed a full year get to their highest level (if they ever do).  Like when the Heat added LeBron but lost to the Mavericks.  Or when the Cavaliers put LeBron, Kyrie and Love together but they didn't win the title until their 2nd season.  

I was thinking about the Eagles a few years back.  Older players with injury history may never have time to get used to each other.  Every season puts another set of miles on those tires. 

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, EM31 said:

Go figure.

Milwaukee?  That is your model? It took a ton of luck for them to get past the Nets with 1 and 1/2 of their dream team out.  If Nash handled the roster a little better or Beef Jerky didn't fall off a cliff, they are on golfing despite playing a 1 legged Harden and no Kyrie.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Milwaukee?  That is your model? It took a ton of luck for them to get past the Nets with 1 and 1/2 of their dream team out.  If Nash handled the roster a little better or Beef Jerky didn't fall off a cliff, they are on golfing despite playing a 1 legged Harden and no Kyrie.

Yeah, I'm not buying it with the Bucks.  I'm all in on Atlanta among the final 4.  And why not?  They can still win a title while they're a "year away" from getting REALLY good.  

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah, I'm not buying it with the Bucks.  I'm all in on Atlanta among the final 4.  And why not?  They can still win a title while they're a "year away" from getting REALLY good.  

Yeah, and when Lopez gets another hangnail things get much worse for them.  I kind of like the Bucks and may even root for them, but I certainly don't see them as some model to copy.   

I'll probably root for the Hawks.  I was friends with guys from Armani when Gallinari played there and we took a picture when he did his visa when the Knicks drafted him.  He was a real nice kid.  

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

As opposed to "assembling" Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, James Harden and Blake Griffen from somewhere else.  All former or current all stars who made their bones elsewhere and all players whose best years are behind them.  All players with significant injury history or at least with legitimate reasons to question their future durability.  Seems to me like the standard super team recipe redux.

Complaints that older often injured players are once again injured when it was the most predictable outcome in the world seems a little odd TBH.   Yes, lightning struck the Nets and Nets fans several times in a row.  Bad luck you but it did so because you went out into a lightning storm waving a lightning rod around.  So how much bad luck was that "1-legged Harden" really?

<edited to add>

If another team assembled a similar set of stars and then got bounced out of the playoffs, nobody here would have any sympathy for them.

14 hours ago, EM31 said:

As opposed to "assembling" Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, James Harden and Blake Griffen from somewhere else.  All former or current all stars who made their bones elsewhere and all players whose best years are behind them.  All players with significant injury history or at least with legitimate reasons to question their future durability.  Seems to me like the standard super team recipe redux.

Complaints that older often injured players are once again injured when it was the most predictable outcome in the world seems a little odd TBH.   Yes, lightning struck the Nets and Nets fans several times in a row.  Bad luck you but it did so because you went out into a lightning storm waving a lightning rod around.  So how much bad luck was that "1-legged Harden" really?

<edited to add>

If another team assembled a similar set of stars and then got bounced out of the playoffs, nobody here would have any sympathy for them.

You seem to be very fired up about putting the Nets down.  Did anybody make some great claims that the Nets were put together so intelligently?  That they deserved sympathy for getting bounced?  I have been a Nets fan since Dr J, Super John and Larry Kenon.  I actually liked the team before they went after Kyrie and KD much better.  I just don't see how getting lucky drafting a Greek MVP at #15 overall is somehow team building 101.

I was on record as being nervous about Milwaukee and Philadelphia before these guys got hurt, but the simple fact is that Nets were an inch from bouncing them.  If there had even been an extra rest day between games 6 and 7 things probably would have been very different.  

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You seem to be very fired up about putting the Nets down.  Did anybody make some great claims that the Nets were put together so intelligently?  That they deserved sympathy for getting bounced?  I have been a Nets fan since Dr J, Super John and Larry Kenon.  I actually liked the team before they went after Kyrie and KD much better.  I just don't see how getting lucky drafting a Greek MVP at #15 overall is somehow team building 101.

I was on record as being nervous about Milwaukee and Philadelphia before these guys got hurt, but the simple fact is that Nets were an inch from bouncing them.  If there had even been an extra rest day between games 6 and 7 things probably would have been very different.  

Not really fired up at all.  It began with a throwaway comment from me about dream teams not aging well and then you seemed to go off on this whole "we were the proverbial c***-hair away from bouncing them if only it weren't for <injuries>," etc.  I think the energy levels in this conversation were supplied by yourself.  I have merely been providing supporting arguments for my initial assertion. 

At the end of the day you are a Nets fan, you had reasons to feel that this could have been a championship year and it did not work out that way.   Maybe all those players get to be healthy at the same time in the playoffs next year or the year after that.  What could possibly go wrong after all?

18 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Not really fired up at all.  It began with a throwaway comment from me about dream teams not aging well and then you seemed to go off on this whole "we were the proverbial c***-hair away from bouncing them if only it weren't for <injuries>," etc.  I think the energy levels in this conversation were supplied by yourself.  I have merely been providing supporting arguments for my initial assertion. 

At the end of the day you are a Nets fan, you had reasons to feel that this could have been a championship year and it did not work out that way.   Maybe all those players get to be healthy at the same time in the playoffs next year or the year after that.  What could possibly go wrong after all?

Ha.  You're a funny dude.  

If you read my posts you'd see that what I said was that I felt the headline for the year was "Injury prone dudes get injured."  OTOH, the reason to get Harden is that they would probably be able to roll right on with 2 out of the 3.   You don't think they were close to winning that series?  I guess I can't help you there.  I think Nash seems to be on his way to being a good coach, but I'm not in love with how he handled the roster in that series. I think he will be better next season.  This could have been a championship season.  It wasn't.  They will be among the favorites next year.  Doesn't mean I'm in love with the way the roster was constructed, but it is a fairly obvious fact. 

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ha.  You're a funny dude.  

If you read my posts you'd see that what I said was that I felt the headline for the year was "Injury prone dudes get injured."  OTOH, the reason to get Harden is that they would probably be able to roll right on with 2 out of the 3.   You don't think they were close to winning that series?  I guess I can't help you there.  I think Nash seems to be on his way to being a good coach, but I'm not in love with how he handled the roster in that series. I think he will be better next season.  This could have been a championship season.  It wasn't.  They will be among the favorites next year.  Doesn't mean I'm in love with the way the roster was constructed, but it is a fairly obvious fact. 

They were very close indeed and I do not believe I ever indicted or even hinted that I thought otherwise.

What we heard all year from the pundits, not you but "the pundits" was that the Nets were long streets better than anyone else even if they were down a man.

Yes, they can win it all next year but even with the elastic salary cap I have to wonder when the bill is due and payable for this current "win it all now" window.

Maybe the issue is that I do not watch the "pundits."  Sometimes I watch the halftime/postgame shows during the playoffs, but generally the only thing I watch outside of games are the 10 minute youtube highlight clips.  I have not had the joy of watching the Stephen A. Smith's of the world for well over a decade.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe the issue is that I do not watch the "pundits."  Sometimes I watch the halftime/postgame shows during the playoffs, but generally the only thing I watch outside of games are the 10 minute youtube highlight clips.  I have not had the joy of watching the Stephen A. Smith's of the world for well over a decade.

The idea that it was a coronation march for the Nets was not Just Steven A.  I was all over sports radio and everywhere really.

14 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The idea that it was a coronation march for the Nets was not Just Steven A.  I was all over sports radio and everywhere really.

Don't watch any of 'em.  I can't imagine anybody rational not being concerned with the Nets might having injury issues.  I was concerned even if they didn't, but I am kind of a dark-sider.

• 1 month later...

Where is @T0mShane?  I know this team is no fun because they are too good, but I was a Yankee fan all my life, so I can get used to that.  It's interesting to see the moves they are making.  They ended up with a ton of draft picks.  I can't see them keeping them all, but the kid from LSU looks interesting.  

Sharpe seems like the type of big body that can help in a rotational role, particularly with a bony due like Claxton as the presumptive starter.   Edwards seems like the kind of 3 and D guy that can help.  I don't imagine much room for Zegrowski or Gray, but who knows what moves they will make?  Shame they lost Shamet, but I guess they weren't going to be able to afford him.  Bloodsport and Patty Mills are interesting vets and they retained Bruce Brown and Blake Griffin.  

Looks like Dimwiddie is signing with the Wizards.  They don't have the space for him, so the Nets will probably get something for the sign and trade - supposedly they don't want Kuzma.   Jeff Green is off to Denver.