Fishooked

Do we have an Official Video Games thread here?

Can't wait to play Shadows of Mordor, I don't have a 'next gen' console just a PS3 and 360 so I have to wait til the 18th for it to come out. 

Eventually I'll get a PS4 or XBOXONE but I don't see the need for it at the moment, really no games I want to play. 

friend of mine says it is amazing

I'm a video game OG

remember pong, space invaders on a floppy for a PC, donkey kong, pacman, asteroids, defender, etc etc

The worst addiction I had was the 1st gran turismo on a playstation.  A guy at the store I got if from told me to get a controller for it.  It was like a pistol, the trigger was the gas, it had a wheel where the hammer was, and a button for the brakes and shifting

best $15 I ever spent.  I played it until 4 am 2 nights straight and got my super license the first weekend.  

anyone remember the PIX game on channel 11 after school ?

PIX     PIX   PIX    PIX 

• Upvote 1

Lol! Kids would be screaming "Pixpixpixpix" and some dude in the studio would just slap the button.

Good god, lmao - yes, I remember this 

haha good times

oh and I forgot missile command.  that thing mesmerized me

Still have my 2600 and all my old systems in working order.  My 5 year old plays Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Galaga, etc.

Loved when WPIX had the PIX game and the kids

very cool

I sold everything when my first born turned about 2

duh

thanks mom and dad, you got me stuff that I'm sure you had better things to spend the money on

get the chips and soda it's gonna be an all nighter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBPSb22pPs0

It was always about GT2 for me. Still have my memory card with the 100 cars, including all the available BTCC cars, and the almighty Escudo. I remember hating the endurance races, which was weird, because in the first couple of PS1 Formula 1 games, I was always doing full length races/championships, still I thought they were too long...

Then years later got GT5, and lo and behold, the Le Mans 24 hours.

And F1 '97 is the greatest F1 game ever. Nothing has ever come close.

escudo, was that the pikes peak beast ?

a 24 hour race ?  lol, that's insane.  

I played GT2, it was better, but GT1 was my first love

What's the scariest video game on the market, ever?

the only game I've ever played that had a scary moment was halo"combat evolved on the PC

the flood scene actually had my heart beating and my anxiety was up

any LOTR geeks ?   I've played a few.

my faves

return of the king

the battle for middle earth.  my helms deep defense is perfect.  much better than this clown

Loved this game. 

one of the best hack and whack games EVER.  legolas was ridiculous !

any chance shadow of mordor can be played on a PC ?

Yep and it looks beautiful.

yeah I just watched a walkthrough on youtube.  holy moly is it gory and violent.  I just couldn't play that with my 9 year old around, so I will probably have to wait a little longer, lol

dang

question for the parents.  my 9 year old has asked for a Wii U and xbox.  He is forbidden from playing shooting games or war games.  mario kart and stuff like that for him

so I'm thinking Wii U, but when he grows out of it I'll need another console, so maybe xbox ?

he's very clever, how do I keep him from being exposed to online games and people like us out there ?  are there parental controls ?

and dad will need to play a LOTR game after they go to bed.

can wii u play LOTR ?

I'm so confused

That will be tough, my 10 year old plays cod here and there but mostly likes minecraft , I'd go with Xbox rather than wii, the new systems are pretty much geared to be played online.

I'm not a fan of Nintendo consoles in general since I'm not a fan of their games. I don't have an XB but that is the route I would go, I'm sure there are parental controls that you can setup, although I don't know how it works. If you get a WiiU you'll probably be limiting yourself to the library of games you'll want to play. 

Edit: this may help 

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/security/xbox-one-manage-privacy-and-online-safety

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/xbox-one-parental-controls,news-17893.html

Plants vs Zombies:Garden Warfare I hear is a good kid friendly title, and I heard as a shooter its quite good.

Yeah, I'd have to echo the general sentiment here and suggest an Xbox. I don't have much experience with Wii U, but I think Xbox would be the better long-term investment. If you don't care about playing online with other people, just don't bother signing up and paying for Xbox Live. That way you won't even have to worry about getting online and dealing with all the douchebags out there.

There are plenty of kid-friendly titles for Xbox. My daughters play Minecraft and the Lego games.

Here are a couple of good ones both of you might like playing together, if you're into Lord of the Rings stuff:

Lego_Lord_of_the_Rings_cover.jpg

350-846673-847__1.jpg

thanks !

I think just getting him xbox and not signing up for the online stuff makes sense.  

I have a crappy pc with pci express graphics card.  any recommendations on an upgrade ?  don't want to do the memory or cpu, just the card

it seems like they have come a long way since pong

• Upvote 1

so I'm looking at xbox one for my 10 year old son for xmas.  is the kinect thing any good ?  do you have to buy games that are kinect compatible or are most games kinect compatible ?

is there any way to protect him from the wonderful world of internet assholes if he does the on-line headset thingy ? 

Edited by Larz

I only have the 360 w/Kinect, and I heard the new one is a lot better. My 11 yo and 8 yo play some of the kinect games every now and again, but not too often. The only reason I'd buy it again if I was doing Xbox one is because they are moving around when they do play, which is obv better then sitting on ass

thanks for the info.  now I just have to figure out how to play lord of the rings games on it after everyone goes to bed, lol

Shadow of Mordor or w/e it is killed is still my favorite game on next gen. Just fun to play

that looks awesome and will be santa's gift to himself this year !!!

that looks awesome and will be santa's gift to himself this year !!!

I take that back, lol.  I looked at some gameplay videos and its just too bloody for me, and its not the movie plot, no helms deep no black gate

sigh

Battlefront!!

a friend of mine says he has 40 hours in on that already, he had some time off.  lol

ok.  so I'm 99% getting an xbox one for my 10 year old son for xmas.  I have a few noob questions since I sold my playstation years ago when they were young

do you need to buy the on line membership thingy just to play with friends ?  he will probabaly get lego marvel superheroes and minecraft and I'm sure he will want to play with friends

do you need the head set thingy to play the above games with friends ?  where does it plug in, the controller or console ?  do you only hear your friends or do you hear the game play as well ?

as for dad, is forza 6 any good and are there any cool flying combat games like the old ace combat ?

thanks fellas

Edited by Larz

I'm not an XB1 person, but yes they will need an Xbox Live membership, which I think is 59.99 per year. I think they kick in some free (digital)games each month like PlayStation Plus does. The games should be free to own and play as long as you are an XBL member (not sure on this, but that's how Playstation does it)

He'll probably want a headset yeah, if he wants to talk to his friends.Most headsets should connect wirelessly to the console, depending which one you get. Read some reviews as the generic XB1 seems kind of meh, also he may want a particular size for comfort, etc. Im pretty sure there are settings to route the chat audio and or game audio to the headset, most route the chat audio to the headset and game audio out of the tv as it normally would.

Can't really answer you as far as games go though - good luck! 

thanks !  yeah this gets more expensive every day, lol

Yes, you'll need the XB Gold membership.  $59.99 however if you look around Best Buy/Walmart/Amazon from time to time you'll find really good deals on the membership.  Lego Marvel I don't believe has online play.  Could be wrong though.  Minecraft does.  You need to be real on top of him when he goes online, otherwise he will be hearing every word you've probably tried to shield him from for years.  The console comes with a headset that plugs into the controller usually.  That's all you need, don't get sucked into fancy ass headsets. 

Forza in my opinion has sh*t the bed.  Not because the game sucks necessarily, but because they went to a new model where you only get a limited amount of cars when you buy the $60 game.  For more cars you need to buy "packs" of cars.  You can be into the game for upwards of $200 for all car unlocks.  That stuff pisses me off!  Haven't seen a good flying game for it yet either. 

thanks !   I researched flying games and they don't have a single one !!!!  arghhh !!!!  ace cambat on the PS kept me up at night, lol

so I did the deed and got the xbox one.  who knows maybe even my son will get a turn !  lol

The nearest pure flight game I can come up with is Strike Suit Zero. It's an indie download title off the arcade--it's set in space, though. Haven't played it personally, so I don't know if it's good or not. Here are a couple of Brits doing a demo play; just mute it: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baKz-YYBLqU

And here's the Xbox link: 

https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Games/Strike-Suit-Zero-Directors-Cut/e3a41682-7192-4e25-b974-34e403d2a88d?cid=majornelso

txs !!!

super-noob here again.  so I obsessively prepare for xmas morning, I saw this for the xbox initial set up guide;

Connect your set-top box to the console

If you connect the set-top box (STB) for your cable or satellite TV provider to your console, then you can control your live TV content through your Xbox One. Here's how:

is there any good reason to do this ? 

(Please pardon my quoting cluster**** above)

Yeah, you have to keep in mind that the PS4 has only been out for 2 years, and the used PS4 games section is still pretty small, and the PS3 has been out since 2006. But the amount of titles is definitely ramping up and will continue to rise. I actually kept my PS3 as well so I could still play Skyrim and the previous Fallout titles, although I don't turn it on that much anymore.

Which games have you played so far on the PS4, and which ones did you like? Keep in mind there is a sh*tload of digital titles available as well; I don't buy them normally since I can't trade them in. If you're into shooters, have you tried Wolfenstein yet? You can probably pick that one up on the cheap. 

I got my son the xbox one.  which of my questions were you replying to ?

So I finished up Rise of the Tomb Raider. Got all the achievements and everything since I'm a douchey fanboy. Pretty good game overall; I'd say if you enjoyed the last one you'll really like this one as well. Lara is back to being that kick-ass chick we all know and love, instead of the wimpy pussy she was for most of the reboot. 

I would have liked to have seen more content overall and more areas to explore; it seemed kind of thin in that regard and it's kind of lame that I'm done with it already. Still, fun game and it looks great. 

jdpc5v6bocq40ks9ywtv.jpg

i played halo on the pc years ago and had a cortana boner.  she must be super hot by now, lol

the last console I had was PS2, no internet connection

setting up my son's xbox one with wifi, a new microsoft account, customized security settings and profiles, xbox live and then getting minecraft to work in split screen was quite an accomplishment for this old guy, lol

then we downloaded the blu-ray/dvd player and we watched my daughters blu-ray of jurrasic world and it was amazing

a regular old DVD wouldn't work tho, any ideas ?  we have hd TV and HDMI cables

I had to laugh at microsoft, we sat through 15-20 minutes of downloading and installing an update for the console only to be told AFTER that the console did not need to be updated.  lol typical microsoft

It should play regular DVDs too? 

turns out the first DVD didn't work, all the others did

whew !

I have to admit to some xbox one buyers remorse.  I thought it would play more cool 360 games but most of the games are geared to kids older than my son.  I have looked at all the games and can only find 7 I want

boo

Edited by Larz

Wii U is probably better for your son, but you bought a XBOX ONE to play 360 games? 

no, got it for my son, but was hoping for some 360 flying games for me like ace combat as One has none.  didn't realize a lot of  the games were bloody shooters.  I may get halo, but if I got a bloody shooter game my wife would heave it in the trash

the chick at gamestop recommended the One so I don't have to upgrade in 2 years, but its kind of a drag having 7 games I can have and like with a 10 year old player in the house

Yeah, a lot of games these days are shooters, or at least have some kind of a major shooting element to them. It's tough. I have kids in the house and my wife gets mad when I play Resident Evil or Left 4 Dead games around them. I respond by saying that zombies are the Cleveland Browns of video game enemies; no one is scared of them and they're more funny than anything. She's still got a point, though. 

Did you look through the Xbox Arcade? There are lots of nonviolent or relatively nonviolent games in there that you can download. Most have free demos you can try, too. I've found a few good games I can play along with the kids. Minecraft is a good one. That game is a lot of fun for just about any age. There's also Rayman, Zoo Tycoon or any of the Lego games. You're right, there aren't really any flight-sim games, but there seems to be a demand out there for them so maybe a third-party developer will come up with something soon. 

There's definitely a lack of relative violence-free games out there right now, though. Hopefully that will change in the next year or two. You were right to upgrade your system, though. The 360 is basically old hardware now and they're not making anything new for it unless it's a big-title game. In the meantime the only advice I can give is to scour the Arcade and try some stuff out. 

thanks !

I got the lego movie bundle with lego marvel superheroes and minecraft for xmas morning, then when I realized forza5 was on sale downloaded that sucker same day !  lol..   we have the tank game and zheroes and another game so good I can't think of it

yeah we live 5 miles from sandy hook elementary, boys playing shooters is a touchy subject around here. 

my son is really getting into football, so madden will probably be coming soon. 

can I ask you a question about halo ?  is there a version with a single player campaign mode or is it all online multiplayer with 13 year olds who will kick my ass ?

Edited by Larz

I've only played up through Halo 3--never really got into that series too much. But yeah as far as I know they all have single-player campaigns. I'm in the same boat you are; I've never really gone online and played too much because I would get crushed in five seconds.

cool, txs !   the tank game we have is hilarious, I drive as fast and unpredictably as I can and as soon as I stop a long range artillery shell slams into me, certainly fired by a 9 year old

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company