Do we have an Official Video Games thread here?

Fishooked

22 hours ago, Scandal26 said:

Xbox One X. Stupid name. Pretty badass system!

It does look pretty sweet (and I agree, the name is dumb as hell). I would have to upgrade my TV if I bought one though; I'm pretty sure mine doesn't support 4K. From what I've read about it, the downside is that it's not a next-gen console and there are no exclusives for it. I guess basically you're paying $599 for a graphics upgrade and a few other features. It will be interesting to see how many sell over the first month or so. 

xboxonex.jpg

5 hours ago, CTM said:

Yep, been hooked for a month now. Almost done and don't want it to be over 

I've just been going around beating shrines and grabbing gear. Haven't even fought any divine beast yet. Way too much fun

7 hours ago, rillo said:

I've just been going around beating shrines and grabbing gear. Haven't even fought any divine beast yet. Way too much fun

yeah, i have found all the memories, i think 96 shrines and about 220 koko seeds, I have almost all of the armor and am working on getting it to level 4. I have though done all the divine beasts, I did them kinda slowly and spread them out. If you save them all to the end it will be a bit redundant as the format is similiar, plus you get cool special powers when you do defeat them. I don't want to beat gannon yet but I'm running out of things to do.

One thing I'll say, is outside of a couple times early and looking up some needs elemental resistant recipes (rather than experiment with cooking, too slow) I've not really looked things up online, it's much more satisfying to figure it out on your own. Been awhile since I've felt that way.

Amazing game.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

It does look pretty sweet (and I agree, the name is dumb as hell). I would have to upgrade my TV if I bought one though; I'm pretty sure mine doesn't support 4K. From what I've read about it, the downside is that it's not a next-gen console and there are no exclusives for it. I guess basically you're paying $599 for a graphics upgrade and a few other features. It will be interesting to see how many sell over the first month or so. 

xboxonex.jpg

i noticed that Sony didn't even talk about hardware at all, probably smart on their end to just ignore it since it seems the X is way more powerful than the PS4 Pro.

I'm going to hold off on any sort of PS4.5 or whatever until I have a 4k TV to run it on.

On 6/11/2017 at 0:57 PM, Bombdirt said:

Nah, it's just one player, at least on Xbox anyway. Not sure if there's a PC or PS4 mode for it. There's a lot of running around and questing to do so more than one person playing would probably lead to a lot of arguments. You control four main characters and you can also add three more to your party, so for the vast majority of the game you're controlling upwards of seven characters. There's a lot of micromanaging going on as far as inventory, weapons, ammo, fighting style, etc. You have to move each player individually in battle across a grid so it can get a little tedious at times but if you're into that level of control it's really versatile. 

I never played the original release that inspired the Fallout games (it came out back in 1987 for PC) but I can spot a lot of the similarities between the two. There's Power Armor, AP during battle, radiation and some other little things that make it seem familiar. It's not a perfect game--I do have some minor gripes (and I have had it crash on me a couple of times--good thing I'm an over-saver)--but for a title you can get for 10-15 bucks off Ebay it's worth checking out, especially if you're a Fallout fan. 

It is available on PC and PS4 yes. 

Since I love Fallout this was kind of on my radar, but I'm not really a turn-based or squad-based RPG type of guy.

10 minutes ago, Fishooked said:

i noticed that Sony didn't even talk about hardware at all, probably smart on their end to just ignore it since it seems the X is way more powerful than the PS4 Pro.

I'm going to hold off on any sort of PS4.5 or whatever until I have a 4k TV to run it on.

bah.. i made the switch from xbox to ps this generation because the hardware was so much better, now MS has beat sony?

6 hours ago, CTM said:

bah.. i made the switch from xbox to ps this generation because the hardware was so much better, now MS has beat sony?

I don't have the specs, but everything I have read would seem to indicate that.

Sony may not have spoke about hardware at E3, but there are other shows coming up later in the year where they could address it. And they also have PSVR if that's your thing. 

I don't see a need to upgrade anytime soon; now that they've finally added external HDD support you can just download your new games to the HDD and run them off there. I don't need one yet, I still have room on my 2TB, but its getting there. 

11 hours ago, Fishooked said:

Never got the chance to play this on PS3 but I heard great things, full on remake

I played the PS2 version way back when. Really innovative and creative game. It was essentially all boss battles though, so it was missing a certain dimension of gameplay but I was having fun playing it so I didn't notice much.

8 hours ago, Fishooked said:

It is available on PC and PS4 yes. 

Since I love Fallout this was kind of on my radar, but I'm not really a turn-based or squad-based RPG type of guy.

Yeah the gameplay does take a little getting used to (especially during battles) and the inventory micromanagement aspect does get irritating at times. I'm kind of pissed at the game right now. I went in to face the final boss last night and the game pulled an unexpected dick plot move that took out my healer. Long story long, I got shredded to ribbons. Going to make a few adjustments and try again tonight. 

3 hours ago, Fishooked said:

I'm willing to bet that Sony will do a price drop on their PS4 slim down to 249.00, so keep your eyes open. 

I believe Best Buy has the gold PS4 now for $249. Tempted but not ready yet. 

13 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

I played the PS2 version way back when. Really innovative and creative game. It was essentially all boss battles though, so it was missing a certain dimension of gameplay but I was having fun playing it so I didn't notice much.

I gave it a try on the PS3 and it didn't click for me.

The trailer looks gorgeous, I just hope the controls are good, they felt really wonky to me, similar to the same issues they had with The Last Guardian, I believe its the same studio,

10 hours ago, Fishooked said:

I gave it a try on the PS3 and it didn't click for me.

The trailer looks gorgeous, I just hope the controls are good, they felt really wonky to me, similar to the same issues they had with The Last Guardian, I believe its the same studio,

You know, I can actually recall thinking the controls were a little funky when I was playing that game. I know I didn't end up finishing it. It's so weird that I can remember specific stuff like that from a game I played a dozen years ago. Then I forget my wife's birthday or my own phone number. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally finished Horizon Zero Dawn...haven't played a game with that good a story in a long time; my only complaint is the level cap of 50 which I reached pretty easily, but I wasn't able to get all of the skills maxed out. Oh well. I haven't decided if I am going to try and scrounge for collectibles I missed yet, I still have a huge backlog of stuff I want to get to.

On 7/10/2017 at 8:37 AM, Fishooked said:

Finally finished Horizon Zero Dawn...haven't played a game with that good a story in a long time; my only complaint is the level cap of 50 which I reached pretty easily, but I wasn't able to get all of the skills maxed out. Oh well. I haven't decided if I am going to try and scrounge for collectibles I missed yet, I still have a huge backlog of stuff I want to get to.

great game, first game that really gripes me since skyrim. I hate level caps, if i want to farm and become op why not let me?

On 7/12/2017 at 11:23 AM, CTM said:

great game, first game that really gripes me since skyrim. I hate level caps, if i want to farm and become op why not let me?

I'm hoping maybe with the DLC they might remove it, if they decide to add extra perks.

My problem is I only need 3 more skill points to get the last perk (and the lousy trophy) but I don't think there are any quests left for me for skill points. I did all the Tallnecks, Bandit Camps etc.