Do we have an Official Video Games thread here?

Fishooked

26 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Already did the download and install on my digital copy.

Also already took off from work Friday and told the wife that as soon as I get off on Thursday, I’m downing a 12 pack, passing out and waking up at midnight to play.

Yeah, I’ve been looking forward to this one for a long time.

Awesome. I'm neck deep in God of War4, wont start for a few weeks 

• Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, Larz said:

My son wants it for his 13th birthday. So far the only shooters I have let him play are halo, overwatch and fortnite 

I read the parental reviews and it's mixed.. Some say you can turn off gore and language but there is torture. 

Would you offer an opinion about the appropriate age to play the game? 

Txs 

I can check the gore settings later and let you know what it is like with them turned off.  As is, 13 is kind of borderline IMO.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:28 AM, CTM said:

Awesome. I'm neck deep in God of War4, wont start for a few weeks 

Just finished God of War...pretty awesome.  The building up piece was a bit more tedious than the previous versions.  I dont even know how much stronger I could have made my dude...there was so much that went into it this time and some many different types of power ups.  Good story, great scenes, fun fights, I'd like the addition of the sun in the battles too.  Pretty cool game.  Just finished it.  Kind of a boring ending though.  They've definitely had better last boss fights than this one.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Anyone playing SpiderMan?   I think that's my next purchase. 

I do. Very fun game, graphics are awesome and they did a good job capturing spidey's personality. I'm about 60% through the game, there's a lot of side quest and what not.

44 minutes ago, rillo said:

I do. Very fun game, graphics are awesome and they did a good job capturing spidey's personality. I'm about 60% through the game, there's a lot of side quest and what not.

Nice.  The girl friend is out of town this weekend.  Sounds like Football and Spiderman are on tap!  

Yep!  My life rules!!!

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nice.  The girl friend is out of town this weekend.  Sounds like Football and Spiderman are on tap!  

Yep!  My life rules!!!

Got RDR II on tap this weekend, however my GF will be home giving me the side eye

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

IGN gave it a perfect 10 as well. Damn near everyone is. Less than 10 hours to go. Can’t wait.

Curious, did you like the first one?  I found it to be pretty slow and tedious. 

Some games are just not for me, so I'm curious if this just isnt my style of a game. 

51 minutes ago, JiF said:

Curious, did you like the first one?  I found it to be pretty slow and tedious. 

Some games are just not for me, so I'm curious if this just isnt my style of a game. 

I loved the first one. Though I may be a tad bit biased. I grew up loving the old Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns and always dreamt about a game that could capture that setting and feel.

The first Red Dead Redemption nailed that. But going back and playing through again recently, there really isn’t much to do in the open world after finishing the main story campaign.

The sequel (or prequel technically) is going batsh*t crazy with the customization options as well as side quests, random encounters and activities.

The last time I was even remotely this excited for a videogame was when Skyrim came out 7 years ago.

Every last review I’ve checked so far has stated that this is a monumental step forward in open world games. The most life-like game by far, supposedly.

I also love how Rockstar is damn near the only developer around these days who still includes cheats for their games. I won’t use them throughout the main campaign, but as soon as that’s over, I can’t wait to slap on God Mode and Infinite ammo and just wreck sh*t across the Wild West.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I loved the first one. Though I may be a tad bit biased. I grew up loving the old Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns and always dreamt about a game that could capture that setting and feel.

The first Red Dead Redemption nailed that. But going back and playing through again recently, there really isn’t much to do in the open world after finishing the main story campaign.

The sequel (or prequel technically) is going batsh*t crazy with the customization options as well as side quests, random encounters and activities.

The last time I was even remotely this excited for a videogame was when Skyrim came out 7 years ago.

Every last review I’ve checked so far has stated that this is a monumental step forward in open world games. The most life-like game by far, supposedly.

I also love how Rockstar is damn near the only developer around these days who still includes cheats for their games. I won’t use them throughout the main campaign, but as soon as that’s over, I can’t wait to slap on God Mode and Infinite ammo and just wreck sh*t across the Wild West.

This escalated quickly 

1) Read this post and get more excited for RDR2

2) Start to think I should upgrade my ps 4 to a ps4 pro

3) Find a deal for an xbox one x bundle with fallout 76 and rdr2

4) Realize if I'm upgrading to a 4k game machine i should really upgrade the TV

5) Research online suggests sitting 11 ft from TV means I should have a significantly larger TV than my current 1080P 55 in

6) Research a new mounting system for family room with limited wallspace 

Tomorrow I will be cutting out cardboard samples of various TVs to size them in room (65-90) and by the end of next week this post will have directly lead to

$500 xbox one x bundle 

$2-4k 4K TV

$250-$1000 for entertainment center or mounting setup

+ countless hours of research 

I woke up this morning thinking I'll pick this game up in a couple weeks and now Ive decided I need to upgrade my whole setup. :D

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, JiF said:

Just finished God of War...pretty awesome.  The building up piece was a bit more tedious than the previous versions.  I dont even know how much stronger I could have made my dude...there was so much that went into it this time and some many different types of power ups.  Good story, great scenes, fun fights, I'd like the addition of the sun in the battles too.  Pretty cool game.  Just finished it.  Kind of a boring ending though.  They've definitely had better last boss fights than this one.

Tots. I'm a former xbox person so I never played the game. I watched some videos on the backstory and what not and it really helped understand the characters.

As a former RPG guy, I like the RPG elements in action games trend. The strategy of how to build you character, what to spend resources on etc is pretty fun and adds to the sense of satisfaction when you come back later and finally beat a mini boss that has been whipping you.

This game was really good imo. I liked the way there was basically no load screens or they were clever about hiding them (mystic door) . It made the whole game feel very cinematic with the camera following the main character basically without interruption (other than HUD elements). Made it pretty immersive. 

It wasnt a flawless game or anything but the floor for these triple A actions RPGs is pretty high. A bunch of solid games out now.

23 hours ago, rillo said:

I hate the controllers on RDR II, been playing since Friday and I still can't get right with it. I'm always shooting folks on accident, and I'm terrible when riding my horse. 

Agreed, the layout is a lot different then I am used to.  Doesn't mean I'm not sneaking out of work today around 3 to go play for another 4 hours.....

Overall, the game is a little slow, but I'm sure things will pick up a bit.  I need to start a different save game where I just play like a murderous a$$hole.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Im always late to these parties, with a wife, 2 kids and a demanding, consuming job with constant training Cont. ED, I have a hard time fitting games in. We have a PS4 that mostly gets used for Lego games and Little Big Planet nowadays. 

Anyway, Just Finished Dragon Age Inquisition and loved it. Had the kid at Game Stop recommend it, bought it used, and dove all in. Still have some side missions and Dragons to kill before I truly consider the current game completed. 

I think my next indulgence will also be from Bioware, Mass Effect Andromeda. Figure by the time I finish that, RDR will be available used. 

On 2/3/2019 at 2:53 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Im always late to these parties, with a wife, 2 kids and a demanding, consuming job with constant training Cont. ED, I have a hard time fitting games in. We have a PS4 that mostly gets used for Lego games and Little Big Planet nowadays. 

Anyway, Just Finished Dragon Age Inquisition and loved it. Had the kid at Game Stop recommend it, bought it used, and dove all in. Still have some side missions and Dragons to kill before I truly consider the current game completed. 

I think my next indulgence will also be from Bioware, Mass Effect Andromeda. Figure by the time I finish that, RDR will be available used. 

I loved Dragon Age. The story was fantastic and the characters were well developed and interesting 

• Upvote 3

Welp 

Ace combat 7 so far is a bit of a downer 

Graphics are gorgeous, aircraft are almost photo realistic 

But 

They added this cloud thing where you ice up if you fly in the cloud to long and your missiles have trouble locking on.... so guess where the bad guys go? 

They also added drones. Little bastards are tough to hit 

The story is so bad. I don't even know what fake country I am fighting for... 

Erusea

Uresea 

Osea 

I'm pretty sure I'm Osean. Really doesn't matter, when you lock on fire, but Ace combat 4 was so good, the story worked and some of the cut scenes you actually would feel something 

Hoping for a good A10 mission to save it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just beat Ace combat 7 

Really fun game 

The back story is gibberish, Ace combat 4 back story was actually moving, but some of the missions were very creative and exciting 

The final mission is an Ace classic. Took me 6 tries to beat it and it was so deliciously stressful like a good final mission should be 

They nerfed the X-02 that's really my only complaint 

• 1 month later...

Games are crazy, I have played them my whole life but I fell out of them forwhile. Then I got back into it with dragon age Inquisition and beat it, thought it was best game ever...then played I can't remember but it led to mass effect Andromeda, truthfully I lost interest before getting half way through, the previous mass effect ending killed it for me. I bet it was actually a pretty good game but I don't know.

Fast forward I played a little call of duty my friends bought me to play online.  All that went to the wayside when i got the world ender and supreme time sucker Witcher 3. Hands down best game I ever played. I didn't finish it. Life got in the way and I wanted to start it back up on death March the hardest difficultly. We will get back to this.

Well at some point RDR2 came out and I loved it but once again I stopped playing it because of life and the online came out and that kind of sucked. I really need to get back to hunting in that that game and finish it.

So I picked Witcher 3 back up randomly because I knew I wanted to finish it. And it's still the best game ever. I highly recommend it.

I swear to god I'm going to finish it this time and my fiancee even likes it, although she does like it better if I play it when she falls asleep.

I actually wanted to bring up a game called divinity sin 2 it is supposed to be the best RPG ever created, haven't got into it but plan on getting it in a couple years after I beat witcher 3 and RDR3.

Oh I'm going to buy madded this year cause the jets will have a good team

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Just started that after DAI. So far, so meh. Does it get better?

Well considering I've play the other games a whole lot. Then started that one then quit. I d k. I mean I like the idea of Andromeda, and all theboarts but I just couldn't get into it so I have no idea. 

I hope so?

• 1 month later...

So I rented Days Gone. I love the zombie genre in any medium, so I had high hopes for this, but the reviews were bad. The good: it looks good, it’s a relatively big map, and there’s some fun to be had strategizing around not getting mauled by a pack of zombies. The best feature, by far, is the progressive growth of the zombie hordes as the game goes on, making it more stressful to navigate the map. That said, the dialogue is weird and atrocious to the degree that you wonder if it was written by an ESL student, the missions are repetitive, the characters are generally unappealing (written like a tech geek guessing at what a tough-guy biker would sound like), the weapons targeting is wretched, and the AI is comically bad. You stealth kill people/zombies literally in front of other people/zombies and they don’t notice you doing it. It’s kinda like Far Cry meets Dying Light, but focused on all of the bad stuff from those two. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2019 at 10:17 AM, IndianaJet said:

Anyone get Anthem?

Played briefly this weekend....seems like it could go in some very good directions...or be another Destiny like fail.

Huge disappointment for me.  And I am a huge BioWare fan.  I have played countless hours of ME3 and MEA multiplayer and many hours of dragon age multiplayer.

Flying around and exploring I found very fun and smooth in Anthem and the short story part of the game was pretty good but the overall package for me simply was not addicting at all.  Blah missions, way too few of them after promises of lots of content.  Crappy cartoony enemies.

I am back to playing some ME3mp which still years on is fun to play.

Finally got Nier:Automata, it's fun.

Crash Team Racing is on the way, though, after that, just months to wait til FF7 remake comes out. Part of me wants it to be be a straight remake of the original story, another part is hoping for extended stuff for the Avalnche members who get splatted after an hour of the original.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...