Do we have an Official Video Games thread here?

Fishooked

So I've been up GTA V's ass for the past couple of weeks and I've finished up the storyline. Now I'm working on a few random achievements and such before I move on.

I had a lot of fun with the game; I liked all three main characters and only found myself bored with a handful of missions. (I also liked how there are no pasties on the strippers' nipples anymore.) I have a few minor complaints, like how I wish there were more heist missions and how the radio stations all kind of suck after about an hour of gameplay (the minigames/activities were all kind of lame and pointless too), but on the whole this was a great game and well worth my 27 bucks. I'm gonna screw around on it for another day or two before I get going on my backlog of games I need to play.

I think Trevor was my favorite character of the three. He had some pretty funny lines in the dialogues.

gta_v___trevor_by_thomasjakeross-d6nkmvb

So I've been up GTA V's ass for the past couple of weeks and I've finished up the storyline. Now I'm working on a few random achievements and such before I move on.

I had a lot of fun with the game; I liked all three main characters and only found myself bored with a handful of missions. (I also liked how there are no pasties on the strippers' nipples anymore.) I have a few minor complaints, like how I wish there were more heist missions and how the radio stations all kind of suck after about an hour of gameplay (the minigames/activities were all kind of lame and pointless too), but on the whole this was a great game and well worth my 27 bucks. I'm gonna screw around on it for another day or two before I get going on my backlog of games I need to play.

I think Trevor was my favorite character of the three. He had some pretty funny lines in the dialogues.

gta_v___trevor_by_thomasjakeross-d6nkmvb

I'm dying to play this again on the PS4, but I already finished it on the PS3 already.

Right now I'm kind of all over the map with what I've been playing, and it bothers me, only because I usually try to finish 1 game before moving onto the next.

Currently playing

Battlefield 4 campaign PS4

Diablo 3 PS4

Infamous First Light PS4

Destiny PS4 (still)

starting Hitman trilogy on PS3

******* around with The Binding Of Isaac on my Vita

I'm dying to play this again on the PS4, but I already finished it on the PS3 already.

Right now I'm kind of all over the map with what I've been playing, and it bothers me, only because I usually try to finish 1 game before moving onto the next.

Currently playing

Battlefield 4 campaign PS4

Diablo 3 PS4

Infamous First Light PS4

Destiny PS4 (still)

starting Hitman trilogy on PS3

******* around with The Binding Of Isaac on my Vita

I try to complete one before moving onto the next, too; I'll play though a game's storyline, then screw around a bit getting achievements and what not until I'm bored or feel satisfied with my progress, then put it away for good. That way I don't feel like I'm leaving anything on the table and I can sell it or trade it if I want. I only really try to hang on to the games that are just pure awesome or have some replay value, like Skyrim or that one Madden when the Jets were good.

• Upvote 1

I try to complete one before moving onto the next, too; I'll play though a game's storyline, then screw around a bit getting achievements and what not until I'm bored or feel satisfied with my progress, then put it away for good. That way I don't feel like I'm leaving anything on the table and I can sell it or trade it if I want. I only really try to hang on to the games that are just pure awesome or have some replay value, like Skyrim or that one Madden when the Jets were good.

I hear you, Skyrim is one I won't get rid of either. The same applies for Fallout3 & Fallout:New Vegas.

Sometimes I get too overwhelmed when the kids are finally in bed I don't know what the **** I want to play.

I'm starting to get a serious backlog and it bothers me - mainly because of PlayStation Plus - I've got so many titles downloaded that I haven't even looked at yet...and Im my own worst enemy. 

Tonight though I'll be giving Far Cry4 a spin (borrowed from the library)- just started it for a bit last night, it's basically identical to Far Cry3 in a lot of ways. I'll probably **** around with it until its time to return it, at least I get the chance to see if I want to own it down the road. 

I haven't played any of the Far Cry games. I thought I read somewhere that they're all pretty different and independent from one another. Which one should I start with?

They aren't connected at all, so it doesn't make a difference.

FC3 can be had pretty cheaply right now, and it seems that FC4 is identical in it's control scheme, inventory management, skill trees, etc - I'd go with FC3, but I never played the other two, but I'm guessing 3 is the best of the lot. 

It's a lot of fun but I found it to be a pain in the ass at times, especially where forced stealth was involved on certain missions...mainly because I suck at stealth missions. 

I haven't played any of the Far Cry games. I thought I read somewhere that they're all pretty different and independent from one another. Which one should I start with?

They aren't connected at all, so it doesn't make a difference.

FC3 can be had pretty cheaply right now, and it seems that FC4 is identical in it's control scheme, inventory management, skill trees, etc - I'd go with FC3, but I never played the other two, but I'm guessing 3 is the best of the lot. 

It's a lot of fun but I found it to be a pain in the ass at times, especially where forced stealth was involved on certain missions...mainly because I suck at stealth missions. 

I borrowed FC4 and pretty much played it exclusively this weekend...it's a lot of fun, and pretty similar to FC3, with some additions. 

Getting attacked by eagles and bull rhinos is a bit of a pain in the ass...oh yeah and ******* honey badgers lol.

If you play FC3, then FC4 is pretty much the same formula, but it does look pretty sweet on the PS4.

Resident Evil remake drops today (PS3, PS4), getting really good reviews as well. Worth it at 19.99

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/resident-evil/cid=UP0102-CUSA01068_00-BHRHDPS400000001

I would totally buy this if it wasn't download-only. Call me old-school, but I like having a physical copy of a game that I can do with as I please after I buy it. That and I don't have a ton of storage space to spare. It's unfortunate because I was really looking forward to playing this since I'm a big fan of the RE series.

Eh...maybe I'll just suck it up and get it anyway. Or I'll just wait until Revelations 2 comes out next month.

Is RE4 supposed to be great? I liked RE way back when, but the sequels sucked. Then I read that 4 is really good.

Also, stuck with Inquisition. It takes forever to get your character to the point of being fun, but once you start crafting and modifying your own weapons and armor, it improves a lot.

I would totally buy this if it wasn't download-only. Call me old-school, but I like having a physical copy of a game that I can do with as I please after I buy it. That and I don't have a ton of storage space to spare. It's unfortunate because I was really looking forward to playing this since I'm a big fan of the RE series.

Eh...maybe I'll just suck it up and get it anyway. Or I'll just wait until Revelations 2 comes out next month.

I don't know if they are going to make physical copies of this, I think I read that there is a region-free Japanese version, or at least only sold in Japan. Although I have seen previous digital copies of games make their way over to physical format (such as Journey/Flower/Flow, and other games). 

Hard drive isn't an issue for me at the moment, I dont have a problem with a digital version of this game since its only 19.99...but if I preorder something I'd prefer to have the physcial copy as well.

Also keep in mind PS+ members get 10% off in the store this weekend only, so I may get it then for 17.99. 

Is RE4 supposed to be great? I liked RE way back when, but the sequels sucked. Then I read that 4 is really good.

Also, stuck with Inquisition. It takes forever to get your character to the point of being fun, but once you start crafting and modifying your own weapons and armor, it improves a lot.

I haven't played RE4 so I dont really know, RE3 is the last one I played. I've heard its better than 5 and 6 was just a steaming pile from what I've read. 

I've put my copy of DAI on hold for the moment - is there a way you can disable your followers? They are always getting in the way. 

I don't know if they are going to make physical copies of this, I think I read that there is a region-free Japanese version, or at least only sold in Japan. Although I have seen previous digital copies of games make their way over to physical format (such as Journey/Flower/Flow, and other games). 

Hard drive isn't an issue for me at the moment, I dont have a problem with a digital version of this game since its only 19.99...but if I preorder something I'd prefer to have the physcial copy as well.

Also keep in mind PS+ members get 10% off in the store this weekend only, so I may get it then for 17.99. 

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that Japan got physical copies of it. I hope they make a disc version eventually for the US, but I'm not holding my breath.

I played RE4 on the PS2 back in the day and I loved it. Then again I loved 5, 6 and the other recent entries in the series too (except for Operation Raccoon City, which is a piss-poor excuse for an RE game and should be avoided).

RE4 seems to be the one that everybody universally likes, though. It may not seem as fresh and innovative now that the over-the-shoulder camera and a few other things have become staples of the series, but I'd imagine it still holds up. Definitely worth checking out at least.

So I went into GameStop on a whim yesterday and ended up getting three Xbox 360 games out of the bargain bin. I picked up Brutal Legend, Dishonored and Shadowrun. Grand total: 11 bucks; not too shabby.

I've been messing with Brutal Legend a little bit today; it seems fun so far, especially if you like that Jack-Black-Tenacious-D-style rock/metal humor. One of the bad guys is a glam-rock type named Lionwhite, which is a not-so-subtle dig at White Lion, I suspect. His minions all dress like Bret Michaels circa 1986. Lemmy and Ozzy are both doing voices in it, as well.

TOP10EddieNew-Brutal-Legend-Images.jpg

I remember playing a game called Shadowrun on the SNES way back when (and it was pretty kick-ass), but I'm not sure how closely related this newer one is to that one.

shadowrun2l.jpg

Dishonored I just grabbed because the cover looked cool. I hope it's not too stealth-heavy. I get sick of being quiet in games sometimes.

74-122-018-13.jpg

I've been messing with Brutal Legend a little bit today; it seems fun so far, especially if you like that Jack-Black-Tenacious-D-style rock/metal humor. One of the bad guys is a glam-rock type named Lionwhite, which is a not-so-subtle dig at White Lion, I suspect. His minions all dress like Bret Michaels circa 1986. Lemmy and Ozzy are both doing voices in it, as well.

Best thing about that game was the music - which is the greatest video game soundtrack EVER.

Bought Golden Axe today for 3 quid. Ahh, nostalgia.

I was going to suggest GTA V as well; there's plenty of stuff to do and a huge environment to explore in that game without even playing the main storyline, so chances are you can find something you like to do with that one. I don't have any experience with Forza, so I can't give much of a recommendation on that either way.

You might also check out some of the downloadable titles on Xbox Live. From my experience, there are a lot of simpler games on there that don't require 40 different buttons to play, which might help you get used to the controller. You can download demos of a lot of them, too, so you can be sure if you like a game or not before you spend money on it. (That's how it works on the 360, anyway; I would assume it's the same on Xbox One). There are tons of different types of games, plus some old-school classics on there, too; I have a few good ones like Tron, Frogger and Dig-Dug downloaded on my 360. Good times.

There really is a lot to do in this game besides driving and killing people. There are races if that's your thing. There is a ****ton of minigames inside the game, you can go out and explore and hunt, skydive, cycle, all kinds of sh*t. It's definitely a good time sink for the money. Only reason I didn't pick it up yet is I got it for the PS3, will wait for a price drop before I give it another go on the PS4. 

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up talking to a developer friend of mine and getting some opinions from various video-game employees at a few different places, and I explained to them that I'm more of a Super Mario World kind of gamer; and the one game most of them seemed to identify was Sunset Overdrive. Just got it last night and am excited to go home and start trying it out tonight. Any of you guys heard of it/have opinions on it? 

edit: btw, I didn't completely ignore your advice. I'm also going to pick up GTAV once it gets a little older and I can buy the preowned version for like $20. I've heard great things from others as well, but I just know from past experiences with the GTA franchise that it's something that I'm probably going to have a hard time getting into....and I can't justify spending $60 and the little free time I have on something that I'll have to work to enjoy, when I can try something else and hopefully enjoy that little free time with the game. 

So I went into GameStop on a whim yesterday and ended up getting three Xbox 360 games out of the bargain bin. I picked up Brutal Legend, Dishonored and Shadowrun. Grand total: 11 bucks; not too shabby.

TOP10EddieNew-Brutal-Legend-Images.jpg

I remember playing a game called Shadowrun on the SNES way back when (and it was pretty kick-ass), but I'm not sure how closely related this newer one is to that one.

shadowrun2l.jpg

Dishonored I just grabbed because the cover looked cool. I hope it's not too stealth-heavy. I get sick of being quiet in games sometimes.

74-122-018-13.jpg

Dishonored can be played as a stealth game where the goal is to disable but not kill people. That's how you get the good ending or "low-chaos" ending. You can also be rambo and fight and kill everyone you can, but your chaos will be high, which pretty much mostly affects some story elements but mostly you get the "high-chaos" ending. Personally, the game is a lot more fun when you can just kill people and sneak less, but that's mostly up to how much you care about getting the good ending. Also, you get a sh*t ton more swarming rats if you kill everybody.

I hear you, Skyrim is one I won't get rid of either. The same applies for Fallout3 & Fallout:New Vegas.

Sometimes I get too overwhelmed when the kids are finally in bed I don't know what the **** I want to play.

I'm starting to get a serious backlog and it bothers me - mainly because of PlayStation Plus - I've got so many titles downloaded that I haven't even looked at yet...and Im my own worst enemy. 

Tonight though I'll be giving Far Cry4 a spin (borrowed from the library)- just started it for a bit last night, it's basically identical to Far Cry3 in a lot of ways. I'll probably **** around with it until its time to return it, at least I get the chance to see if I want to own it down the road. 

This is me. I am currently playing Evil Within. Its a pretty long game and I have been switching with Watch Dogs here and there, or Madden. But sometimes I play nothing after the kids bedtime because I cant make a decision.

This is me. I am currently playing Evil Within. Its a pretty long game and I have been switching with Watch Dogs here and there, or Madden. But sometimes I play nothing after the kids bedtime because I cant make a decision.

LOL, total first-world problems, I hear you on that. On those weekend nights when I know I don't have anything going on the next day and don't have to wake up early, I tell myself that "I'm going to play until 4am!" . 

Then old age sets in and I can't make it past 2:30-3am lol.

And 2015 isn't going to get any easier for me as far as games either. 

The Witcher3 in May

ESO in June

No Man's Sky 

The Division in (November)

If I wasn't married with kids I'd have no problem at all with just staying in for a week and just playing, especially during these sh*tty winter months. 

LOL, total first-world problems, I hear you on that. On those weekend nights when I know I don't have anything going on the next day and don't have to wake up early, I tell myself that "I'm going to play until 4am!" . 

Then old age sets in and I can't make it past 2:30-3am lol.

And 2015 isn't going to get any easier for me as far as games either. 

The Witcher3 in May

ESO in June

No Man's Sky 

The Division in (November)

If I wasn't married with kids I'd have no problem at all with just staying in for a week and just playing, especially during these sh*tty winter months.

Just downloaded Witcher 2 for free, haven't started it yet. Any good?

Best thing about that game was the music - which is the greatest video game soundtrack EVER.

Definitely. I am really enjoying the soundtrack.

Dishonored can be played as a stealth game where the goal is to disable but not kill people. That's how you get the good ending or "low-chaos" ending. You can also be rambo and fight and kill everyone you can, but your chaos will be high, which pretty much mostly affects some story elements but mostly you get the "high-chaos" ending. Personally, the game is a lot more fun when you can just kill people and sneak less, but that's mostly up to how much you care about getting the good ending. Also, you get a sh*t ton more swarming rats if you kill everybody.

Good to know. I don't mind a little stealth here and there, but I get tired of it after a while. I like it when games give you the freedom to decide how you want to complete a mission; that way you can try something else if you're having trouble.

I have a feeling I'll be choosing the Rambo method in this one.

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up talking to a developer friend of mine and getting some opinions from various video-game employees at a few different places, and I explained to them that I'm more of a Super Mario World kind of gamer; and the one game most of them seemed to identify was Sunset Overdrive. Just got it last night and am excited to go home and start trying it out tonight. Any of you guys heard of it/have opinions on it? 

edit: btw, I didn't completely ignore your advice. I'm also going to pick up GTAV once it gets a little older and I can buy the preowned version for like $20. I've heard great things from others as well, but I just know from past experiences with the GTA franchise that it's something that I'm probably going to have a hard time getting into....and I can't justify spending $60 and the little free time I have on something that I'll have to work to enjoy, when I can try something else and hopefully enjoy that little free time with the game. 

I don't know much about it other than it being an XB1 exclusive, it looks fun though - kind of like GTA meets Saint's Row-ish. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone get dying light? Cool so far, kinda like gta format with zombies.

I have not, although it seems like a lot of fun and has been getting pretty decent reviews.

PS+ is really not helping my gaming backlog one bit (first world problems)

So far I've tinkering with Apotheon and Transistor - love the art styles in both but I don't know wtf I'm doing in Transistor. Excellent soundtrack though.

Lately I've been playing The Last Of Us Remastered and the Resident Evil remake. 

I'd been borrowing Far Cry4 and I've found that I just can't put it down. There was a lot with FC3 that I didn't like but there is a lot more to like with this version.

My only major gripes so far are the annoying DJ on the radio whenever you get into a car, and the convoluted syringe crafting menu. Oh and the random eagle attacks.