Do we have an Official Video Games thread here?

Fishooked

bah.. was hoping the announcement would be a new elder scrolls .., like them so much better then the fallout series for w/e reason.. I got bored and didn't even finish the last one

epic25.png

Yeah, there was no chance of that happening, not with the last two games being Skyrim and the Elder Scrolls Online. 

Fallout is definitely way overdue - which game didn't you finish, New Vegas? 

epic25.png

Yeah, there was no chance of that happening, not with the last two games being Skyrim and the Elder Scrolls Online. 

Fallout is definitely way overdue - which game didn't you finish, New Vegas? 

Yea, got bored

If this clip doesn't convince you, nothing will.

I think this is fanmade, but it contains clips of the original Fallout 3 trailer plus clips from all of the DLC components: Operation Anchorage, The Pitt, Mothership Zeta, Broken Steel, Point Lookout.

That's totally different from what I thought it was. I got it confused with that Master Chief one and that other overrated one where you're in a submersible suit from a 50's movie.

That's totally different from what I thought it was. I got it confused with that Master Chief one and that other overrated one where you're in a submersible suit from a 50's movie.

You're thinking of Halo and BioShock....never played Halo, but BioShock is tremendous in my opinion.

If you like action RPG's with an open world, then I cannot recommend it enough - it's a great starting point for getting into Fallout, Fallout3 was the first one I played.

I never played 1 or 2, those were kind of before my time, and I'm not a fan of turn-based games at all. 

FO3 gets a lot of flack from purists for not staying true to the lore of 1&2 (and there is a LOT of it), but you don't need to know the backstory of the previous games to get into it.

Fallout:New Vegas stays truer to the original lore, but sadly there was a lot of content cut out of that game. FNV is a bit harder to get into without playing F03, so it's a great starting point. 

When I first got F03 I was taken in immediately, that game never left my disc tray in my PS3 for well over a year, it was literally the only thing I played during that time span.

I cannot recommend it enough. 

Fallout4 might be the only game I get my inner nerd on to go stand online with other freaks for a midnight release. I might have trouble explaining that to the wife.

Boston was always the rumor.

I cannot wait for this game.

I shocked that it actually turned out to be true.

Maybe there were actually Bethesda employees poking around MIT, as was originally rumored/reported. 

So there is an Italian webiste (take it for what it's worth) that has the release date of 10/23/15....would love to time countless hours into this during the crummy wintertime... 

Interestingly enough October 23rd is the day the bombs fell according to the lore...could be legit. 

Ilnox6D.jpg

fish, why do you prefer this to Skyrim, is it game play or setting/story?

You are getting me excited and I didn't even like New Vegas (although I enjoyed FO3) Also, was new Vegas not as good as FO3?

Not to speak for fish, but I like both Skyrim and FO equally.  I can understand not liking New Vegas as much, the games are pretty similar.  I did like the DLCs for FO3 much better than the ones for New Vegas.

I'm pretty psyched for this game.  I hope it is in October.

fish, why do you prefer this to Skyrim, is it game play or setting/story?

You are getting me excited and I didn't even like New Vegas (although I enjoyed FO3) Also, was new Vegas not as good as FO3?

It's both, I think. There are lot more varied weapons to play around with, and multiple ways to complete objectives. I guess it's kind of personal for me, I sank so much time into both F03 and FNV that they are like old friends to me. Fallout3 gives you the option to play as a good or evil character (or neutral), plus it unlocks a lot of perks in game where each playthrough seems different as a result. 

Skyrim, I never played Oblivion before so (I guess I should get on that) so its just different. Dont get me wrong, I sunk over 800 hours into that game, but I'm not sure I could do it all over again. But you can bet I'll be getting the next Skyrim, or maybe even ESO at some point. 

The whole debate on F03 vs FNV is a major hot-button issue for a lot of fans, it's like trying to talk about politics or religion.

Fallout3 was widely criticized for scrapping a lot of the lore that was created from Fallout1&2 (I never played those), so a lot of purist fanboy types don't like it for that reason. However it was great overall for the franchise because it exposed the Fallout universe to a lot of people that would have never been previously - the old games look archaic in comparison. Winning GOTY certainly helped too

Bethesda only published FNV, but Obsidian made the game, which is widely criticized for being a buggy mess. But FNV did go back to the original lore of F1/F2, and there is a sh*tload of story in it. I think it holds the world record for the amount of lines of dialogue in a videogame I believe. They expanded upon a lot of what was done in F03 by adding weapons perks, mods, crafting items, almost everything. The problem was Obsidian was very ambitious, and they were making the game right - until Bethesda pushed them to make a release date that they couldn't make.

So they cut out a HUGE amount of content - quests, factions, dialogue, you name it. The game could have absolutely awesome if they were able to finish it. But it ended up being buggy on the 360 and PS3..even so, I still love it. 

I would give it another try if I were you, but to each his own. How far along did you go? Did you happen to play any of the DLCs? 

Not to speak for fish, but I like both Skyrim and FO equally.  I can understand not liking New Vegas as much, the games are pretty similar.  I did like the DLCs for FO3 much better than the ones for New Vegas.

I'm pretty psyched for this game.  I hope it is in October.

Same here, although I done multiple playthroughs  on FO3 and FNV, but I've only done it once in Skyrim.

And at least the DLCs for Fallout were a hell of a lot meatier than Skyrim, I really wish they made at least one more. 

I loved all DLCs for New Vegas, Honest Hears being an exception - it had its good moments. Old World Blues & Lonesome Road are excellent in both atmosphere and story. 

I just realized how much I've prattled on...I guess Im just passionate.

No worries, I know the feeling. I could yammer on and on for hours about my opinions relating to the Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy or Resident Evil games. We're all passionate nerds in this thread. :-)

No worries, I know the feeling. I could yammer on and on for hours about my opinions relating to the Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy or Resident Evil games. We're all passionate nerds in this thread. :-)

I mean damn, if FO4 really does come out this year...like holy sh*t, I'm just too pumped for this.

There are rumors that the map will be 3x the size of Skyrim. 

So I went to the video store today (they still have those?) and rented Witcher 2 to see if I'd like it. My first impression is that it's...complex. I think I could get into it, though. I'll play around with it this weekend and see if I want to buy it and get into the series. 

I also picked up Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust, which I got for free along with the other one. It got destroyed in the reviews I've read of it (and after about 10 minutes of playing, those negative reviews seem justified), but I still wanted to play it since I've enjoyed the series ever since I was a kid. Honestly, I'm not expecting much but hey--it was free. 

10989.jpg

Tried to get into Final Fantasy (7, I think it was) on the PS2...or was that the PS1?

The combination of turn-based combat plus JRPG....definitely not for me. Some beautiful looking games though.

Speaking of RE, is RE6 really as bad as they say? I remember that game getting crushed in the reviews. 

Tried to get into Final Fantasy (7, I think it was) on the PS2...or was that the PS1?

The combination of turn-based combat plus JRPG....definitely not for me. Some beautiful looking games though.

Speaking of RE, is RE6 really as bad as they say? I remember that game getting crushed in the reviews. 

Yeah, Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 were on the PS1, then X, X-2, XI (the MMORPG) and XII were on the PS2. You'll find FF7 at the top of a lot of people's lists for the best game of all time--I personally liked 8 better, as it was more realistic-looking and not so cartoony--but if you don't like turn-based combat I can understand why you couldn't get into it. 

I remember putting 70+ hours into one playthrough of FF7 and thinking that was a ton; now it's just scratching the surface for a deep game with lots to do. 

The FF series looks quite a bit different these days; the battles are sped up and more action-oriented rather than just sitting there planning out your next move. I still wouldn't call any of the three FFXIII games "great"; each one has its own pros and cons, but overall I enjoyed them. 

As for Resident Evil 6, I personally really liked it--but I'm kind of a fanboy. A lot of people had issues with the four interconnecting storylines in the game, as it was kind of overambitious and made for some real "blah" moments mixed in with the good stuff. 

Out of the recent RE releases, the only one I wouldn't recommend is Operation Raccoon City. I managed to slog through it but it was tough to get into, even for me. The first Revelations game is probably the best of that crop. 

All of that said, it all boils down to personal preference just like most other games. 

Every damn time I see a new Mortal Kombat game out I go out and buy it.  And every damn time I get home, realize I have no friends, realize I don't smoke pot anymore much these days, and ask myself why the &$^% did I just buy this game...AGAIN!

I suspect if you're a young  dude screwing around getting high with friends and roomates all the time MK is a cool game to own.  When you're a near 40's old man with one or 2 friends that don't play video games this is not the game for you lol.