Do we have an Official Video Games thread here?

Fishooked

Man, hearing you guys talk about Rocket League Soccer made me want to check it out so I looked in the Xbox One store to try to find the demo but apparently there isn't one--only the full game. I wanted to get a feel for it before I plunked down 20 bucks. I watched a couple of videos, though. Looks fun. How does it work? Is it just straight physics or are there like power-ups and junk you can get to alter your shots, acceleration, etc? 

I read that there's a physical copy coming out later this year; maybe I'll just wait for that. I also saw a Back to the Future add-on car pack that I will spend any amount of money for. 

2950088-1.jpg

9 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

Man, hearing you guys talk about Rocket League Soccer made me want to check it out so I looked in the Xbox One store to try to find the demo but apparently there isn't one--only the full game. I wanted to get a feel for it before I plunked down 20 bucks. I watched a couple of videos, though. Looks fun. How does it work? Is it just straight physics or are there like power-ups and junk you can get to alter your shots, acceleration, etc? 

I read that there's a physical copy coming out later this year; maybe I'll just wait for that. I also saw a Back to the Future add-on car pack that I will spend any amount of money for. 

2950088-1.jpg

I guess I lucked out, it was free on PlayStation Plus a few months ago....thanks to this I'll have a huge backlog of games I'll probably never get to. Between the PS4, the PS3, and the Vita, it's just insane.

2 hours ago, Fishooked said:

I guess I lucked out, it was free on PlayStation Plus a few months ago....thanks to this I'll have a huge backlog of games I'll probably never get to. Between the PS4, the PS3, and the Vita, it's just insane.

it'll be fine, just quit day job + ignore family 

Lately I have found myself getting incredibly frustrated with the "teammates" that I get paired with.  I'm not a great player but I at least recognize strategy and no when to just leave the ball alone and let someone else get it.  Some of these knuckleheads are only worried about hitting the the ball.  Doesn't matter where, just hit it.  I don't know how many times I have had a shot lined up only to have a "teammate" come rocketing in and knock the ball in the complete opposite direction.  Another question.  How often do you guys use the boost?  I seem to find myself rolling around with 100% boost without using it.  About the only time is if I'm trying to get back as fast as possible or if I'm on a breakaway.  Some of these guys seem to use it any chance they get then don't have anything left when they really need it.  

Lately I have found myself getting incredibly frustrated with the "teammates" that I get paired with.  I'm not a great player but I at least recognize strategy and no when to just leave the ball alone and let someone else get it.  Some of these knuckleheads are only worried about hitting the the ball.  Doesn't matter where, just hit it.  I don't know how many times I have had a shot lined up only to have a "teammate" come rocketing in and knock the ball in the complete opposite direction.  Another question.  How often do you guys use the boost?  I seem to find myself rolling around with 100% boost without using it.  About the only time is if I'm trying to get back as fast as possible or if I'm on a breakaway.  Some of these guys seem to use it any chance they get then don't have anything left when they really need it.  

Yea so you're pretty much the guy who hates me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/3/2016 at 7:43 PM, Bombdirt said:

2950088-1.jpg

They're coming out with the Batmobile in a few days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Alk said:

That drives me crazy!!!  Sometimes, I'll have the perfect head on angle and some dipsh*t knocks into the corners.  I type mean things in response.

I use boost a lot.  Getting back on D, sure.  But definitely when I'm trying to beat a player to the ball in like a 50/50 situation.  It's also useful for power shot and in flight. IMO, the game is all about keeping your distance, gathering boost, timing on both when you jump for the ball but also when to break to the ball (since you're keeping distance) and then taking good angles on the ball. It's still hard as sh*t, especially when you're stuck with sh*t bags on your team but once you get a few of those things down, it makes the game easier.  I still whiff on some of my jumps and shots...you just go to be patient.  You wouldnt believe how many goals I've scored just waiting for everyone to whiff and boosting into the fray with an easy shot on goal.

I know I'm a little late to the proverbial party here, but I just want to say that The Witcher 3 is video-game crack on the level of Skyrim. Awesome game. 

I am addicted to the card game sidequest in it (Gwent) and am beginning to get into a fanboy obsession about collecting all the cards. 

Okay, that's enough typing. Must. Play. More. 

9 hours ago, Section 333 said:

Fallout 4 is like crack, all I wanna do is play, I have 15 hours into it already. I get ready for work I play, I come home for lunch I play, I get home i play. This game is ruining my life!!!

Seriously...since launch I think I have over 500 hours logged into this game. Right now I'm tracking down the rest of the magazines I missed, and I'm slowly building up the other settlements. Can't wait for the DLC to drop this month. 

On 3/6/2016 at 7:18 PM, Larz said:

got my son unravel today.  pretty cool photo-realistic game for kids.  As a dad I would say if you have kids under 10 this is a great game.  Really calming and peaceful with puzzle solving skills

That's good to know, it sounds like something my girls would like. 

On 3/6/2016 at 6:18 PM, Larz said:

got my son unravel today.  pretty cool photo-realistic game for kids.  As a dad I would say if you have kids under 10 this is a great game.  Really calming and peaceful with puzzle solving skills

My kids were looking at that one but ended up getting Shiftlings. It's a fun puzzle-type game too. Great for kids. There should be a free demo out you can download and try. We'll probably get Unravel soon. That one looks fun too.

Downloaded - The Division - last night.

Seems like it could be pretty awesome.  This is the first game I've played in a 3rd person shooter version where other players online can join your mission and help you advance the story line.  And trust me, I needed it last night.  A couple of missions, there were just too may bad guys to do it alone.  Pretty cool feature.

Right out the gates, there was some glitchy sh*t but I just restarted and had no problem.  I know the game offers. player vs. player, open map style which I'm really looking forward to but not sure if that's available right away or if that opens up as you start to complete some of the story.

Seems like there is a pretty steep learning curve too.  Tons of sh*t going on in terms of game play.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Downloaded - The Division - last night.

Seems like it could be pretty awesome.  This is the first game I've played in a 3rd person shooter version where other players online can join your mission and help you advance the story line.  And trust me, I needed it last night.  A couple of missions, there were just too may bad guys to do it alone.  Pretty cool feature.

Right out the gates, there was some glitchy sh*t but I just restarted and had no problem.  I know the game offers. player vs. player, open map style which I'm really looking forward to but not sure if that's available right away or if that opens up as you start to complete some of the story.

Seems like there is a pretty steep learning curve too.  Tons of sh*t going on in terms of game play.

3 hours ago, rillo said:

I have the division on my GameFly queue, not big into FPS especially really technical ones, and usually Tom Clancy's games are pretty technical. I'm willing to give it a try at least. 

I played the beta some and I cant believe this game is already here. I thought for sure this was the game that would make me stop playing Fallout4 but I haven't gotten it yet. I may need to read some reviews first to see what folks are saying about it first. 

Next up on my radar is No Man's Sky which finally gets a release date of June21st (I think). 

3 hours ago, rillo said:

I have the division on my GameFly queue, not big into FPS especially really technical ones, and usually Tom Clancy's games are pretty technical. I'm willing to give it a try at least. 

It's definitely got a lot going on and I dont think they do a great job of teaching you as you go along and get new features. They give you a quick briefing, in game play, on the screen and then it's gone.  I still have no idea how to activate my special skills/weapons.  I've got this like riot gear shield and it comes out sometimes when I dont want it and when I do, I can figure out how to access it.

And I'm typically not into them either, but I'm interested in the open world player vs. player mode.  I've to check it out when I get home if that's something you unlock or is available immediately. 

Put in some time on The Division this weekend.

I'm giving it a resounding MEH, so far....not what I was expecting at all.

It's redundant in the same way Metal Gear got redundant and they're very similar games.  You set up a HQ, you add departments to develop stuff, you build your character and weapons but the storyline is weak/boring.  The missions are redundant.  The bosses are similar just harder.  There isnt a whole of creativity when it comes to the plot or the game for that matter.  The enemies are the same.  No different as the game goes on.  It's literally nothing like the trailer, at all. 

You have to walk everywhere, which takes for ever.  The respawn option is terrible.  The weapons are solid.  The skills are solid.  The game is gorgeous. 

I finally built my character high enough to get into the "Dark Zone" which is supposed to by open world player vs. player but it's not.  It's an open world with players running around killing the same type of characters you kill in the regular game only they are better armored so harder to kill.  And I got the game because of this feature.  I thought it would be open world battling other online players.  Nope.  Or if it is, I havent seen it because the second you enter the "Dark Zone" you're in the middle of a shoot out.

There doesnt seem to be a point to the game.  At least not yet.

I think as I've rediscovered video games, that I need to stick to sports and superhero's with fun story lines and relate-able characters because otherwise, its just whatever after a few missions of the same thing. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

It's redundant in the same way Metal Gear got redundant and they're very similar games.  You set up a HQ, you add departments to develop stuff, you build your character and weapons but the storyline is weak/boring.  The missions are redundant.  The bosses are similar just harder.  There isnt a whole of creativity when it comes to the plot or the game for that matter.  The enemies are the same.  No different as the game goes on.  It's literally nothing like the trailer, at all. 

You have to walk everywhere, which takes for ever.  The respawn option is terrible.  The weapons are solid.  The skills are solid.  The game is gorgeous. 

I finally built my character high enough to get into the "Dark Zone" which is supposed to by open world player vs. player but it's not.  It's an open world with players running around killing the same type of characters you kill in the regular game only they are better armored so harder to kill.  And I got the game because of this feature.  I thought it would be open world battling other online players.  Nope.  Or if it is, I havent seen it because the second you enter the "Dark Zone" you're in the middle of a shoot out.

I think as I've rediscovered video games, that I need to stick to sports and superhero's with fun story lines and relate-able characters because otherwise, its just whatever after a few missions of the same thing. 

Lame. The trailers made this game look super badass. After hearing about all the meh I probably won't even bother with it now. 

Anybody here play the FIFA games? I picked up FIFA '14 on the cheap a couple of weeks ago and just got around to trying it out. It seems pretty cool but I have no idea what I'm doing since this is my first foray into the series. I've been messing around on the career mode, and having a good time. 

I'm not really a huge soccer fan and I just realized that I know dick about the intricacies of the sport. When I first started I kept getting called offside and spent three games trying to figure out where the neutral zone lines were. 

11 hours ago, JiF said:

Well that's no fun :P 

Outside of increasing realism there isn't much more sports games can do on a year to year basis imo. Most games if you really look at them really do have a lot of repetitive quests, really - it's really down to personal preference on which universe you want do to do them in. There really is a ton of games coming out on the PS4; keep in mind that Uncharted 4 is coming, that sounds like something you'd be down with. 

If The Division came out before Fallout4 I would have been all in - I've been looking forward to this title for a LONG time. But I can't justify the purchase right now, knowing it's going to sit on the shelf while I'm still playing Fallout4. So I may wait until it goes on sale.

For me the next game I'm going to get lost in is No Man's Sky on 6/22. Can't wait. 

I just picked up Until Dawn from the library and plan on giving it a ride this weekend  - I think folks here have played it - is it pretty short? 

That drives me crazy!!!  Sometimes, I'll have the perfect head on angle and some dipsh*t knocks into the corners.  I type mean things in response.

I use boost a lot.  Getting back on D, sure.  But definitely when I'm trying to beat a player to the ball in like a 50/50 situation.  It's also useful for power shot and in flight. IMO, the game is all about keeping your distance, gathering boost, timing on both when you jump for the ball but also when to break to the ball (since you're keeping distance) and then taking good angles on the ball. It's still hard as sh*t, especially when you're stuck with sh*t bags on your team but once you get a few of those things down, it makes the game easier.  I still whiff on some of my jumps and shots...you just go to be patient.  You wouldnt believe how many goals I've scored just waiting for everyone to whiff and boosting into the fray with an easy shot on goal.

friend of mine says it is amazing

Xbox one? My gt is modalelephant93 (never changed the name MS gave me ) i hearya about terrible teams, gotta go into those games with a full party or else you usually have to carry other bad players

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

Lame. The trailers made this game look super badass. After hearing about all the meh I probably won't even bother with it now. 

4 hours ago, Fishooked said:

Well that's no fun :P 

Outside of increasing realism there isn't much more sports games can do on a year to year basis imo. Most games if you really look at them really do have a lot of repetitive quests, really - it's really down to personal preference on which universe you want do to do them in. There really is a ton of games coming out on the PS4; keep in mind that Uncharted 4 is coming, that sounds like something you'd be down with. 

If The Division came out before Fallout4 I would have been all in - I've been looking forward to this title for a LONG time. But I can't justify the purchase right now, knowing it's going to sit on the shelf while I'm still playing Fallout4. So I may wait until it goes on sale.

For me the next game I'm going to get lost in is No Man's Sky on 6/22. Can't wait. 

I just picked up Until Dawn from the library and plan on giving it a ride this weekend  - I think folks here have played it - is it pretty short? 

FWIW - I played for a good bit last night and as I've increased my characters abilities and weapons which definitely made the game better.  The game play is pretty involved and I think it just takes a while to figure out how to use everything and how to make your character better.  I think last night might have been the turning point to where it's getting a little more enjoyable.  Granted, the enemies are similar in just about every mission, they do get tougher with more armor and now I'm facing snipers which makes completing missions tougher.  

Last night I joined a crew of 4 and we had a really intense mission that took a lot of team work and that was pretty awesome, wont lie.  Also, they gave me tips and pointers that made the game more fun as the missions got tougher.   For example, if you play in a group, you can fast travel to that group member which was a huge revelation because you have to open spawn points and that takes for ever, so its hard to reach some parts of the map because you have to walk.  So if youre teamed up with someone who has opened different spawn points, you can use theirs.  

I think the trialer is a bad reflection of the game.  The story line isnt similar at all.  In fact, there are very few cut scenes or stuff like that...its mostly just going wild through Manhattan.

It's definitely not as redundant as Metal Gear, which literally has you returning to the same bases over and over again to complete different yet similar missions.  There is none of that.  Each mission is a very different and on a separate part of the map. 

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

FWIW - I played for a good bit last night and as I've increased my characters abilities and weapons which definitely made the game better.  The game play is pretty involved and I think it just takes a while to figure out how to use everything and how to make your character better.  I think last night might have been the turning point to where it's getting a little more enjoyable.  Granted, the enemies are similar in just about every mission, they do get tougher with more armor and now I'm facing snipers which makes completing missions tougher.  

Last night I joined a crew of 4 and we had a really intense mission that took a lot of team work and that was pretty awesome, wont lie.  Also, they gave me tips and pointers that made the game more fun as the missions got tougher.   For example, if you play in a group, you can fast travel to that group member which was a huge revelation because you have to open spawn points and that takes for ever, so its hard to reach some parts of the map because you have to walk.  So if youre teamed up with someone who has opened different spawn points, you can use theirs.  

I think the trialer is a bad reflection of the game.  The story line isnt similar at all.  In fact, there are very few cut scenes or stuff like that...its mostly just going wild through Manhattan.

It's definitely not as redundant as Metal Gear, which literally has you returning to the same bases over and over again to complete different yet similar missions.  There is none of that.  Each mission is a very different and on a separate part of the map. 

Ah, good to hear this. I remember being somewhat lost in the beta with controls and what not, but that is what I get for not reading instructions. Usually that stuff gets becomes second nature the more you play. 

Does the UI constantly show the 'x button for cover thing' whenever you are near an item you can take cover behind? I wish you could turn that off, dont know if you can or not, I just found it annoying during the beta. 

59 minutes ago, Fishooked said:

Ah, good to hear this. I remember being somewhat lost in the beta with controls and what not, but that is what I get for not reading instructions. Usually that stuff gets becomes second nature the more you play. 

Does the UI constantly show the 'x button for cover thing' whenever you are near an item you can take cover behind? I wish you could turn that off, dont know if you can or not, I just found it annoying during the beta. 

Yes it does...but it's crucial...because you dont know what object you're trying to run behind for cover without the X appearing on the object.  Otherwise, you would just have to hope you're targeting the right object to duck behind which could be costly if it's the wrong object.  It's also crucial if you're trying to avoid a sniper because you may need to use it multiple times in a row to get in position to fight back.

Last night was definitely my best experience with the game, by far.

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:41 PM, Bombdirt said:

Anybody here play the FIFA games? I picked up FIFA '14 on the cheap a couple of weeks ago and just got around to trying it out. It seems pretty cool but I have no idea what I'm doing since this is my first foray into the series. I've been messing around on the career mode, and having a good time. 

I'm not really a huge soccer fan and I just realized that I know dick about the intricacies of the sport. When I first started I kept getting called offside and spent three games trying to figure out where the neutral zone lines were. 

Last FIFA I got was 12. Was going to get 13, but then they ****ed over my local team just before the game came out so I've been boycotting the games ever since.

Best soccer game ever is Sensible Soccer - not the most realistic, or accurate looking, but the gameplay is phenominal. It's an old one, Genesis, Spectrum etc... there were a couple of versions on the PS1 and PS2 which were shambolic though. There's talk of a new version coming out in the next couple of years, harking back to the good old days, though.

• Upvote 1