Do we have an Official Video Games thread here?

Fishooked

On 3/14/2016 at 5:11 PM, JiF said:

Put in some time on The Division this weekend.

I'm giving it a resounding MEH, so far....not what I was expecting at all.

It's redundant in the same way Metal Gear got redundant and they're very similar games.  You set up a HQ, you add departments to develop stuff, you build your character and weapons but the storyline is weak/boring.  The missions are redundant.  The bosses are similar just harder.  There isnt a whole of creativity when it comes to the plot or the game for that matter.  The enemies are the same.  No different as the game goes on.  It's literally nothing like the trailer, at all. 

You have to walk everywhere, which takes for ever.  The respawn option is terrible.  The weapons are solid.  The skills are solid.  The game is gorgeous. 

I finally built my character high enough to get into the "Dark Zone" which is supposed to by open world player vs. player but it's not.  It's an open world with players running around killing the same type of characters you kill in the regular game only they are better armored so harder to kill.  And I got the game because of this feature.  I thought it would be open world battling other online players.  Nope.  Or if it is, I havent seen it because the second you enter the "Dark Zone" you're in the middle of a shoot out.

There doesnt seem to be a point to the game.  At least not yet.

I think as I've rediscovered video games, that I need to stick to sports and superhero's with fun story lines and relate-able characters because otherwise, its just whatever after a few missions of the same thing. 

^ Men on Video Games

tumblr_n22jcjFRAJ1qb6e0eo1_400.gif

I can't remember who it was in this thread that was asking about Ace Combat, but it looks like it's coming with PSVR...

399.99 price point is a bit high for me, I'll probably wait until 2017 on a potential price drop (doubtful) but at least it would have more games.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PlayStation-VR-Just-Got-Launch-Window-Very-Low-Price-124967.html

1 hour ago, Fishooked said:

Some more PSVR stuff 

Really looking forward to trying one of these out. I wonder about safety issue though, the last part of the video shows the player jerking his body around to avoid things in the game. Seems like a safe bet someone is going to end up hurting themselves and suing, curious to see what happens there.

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

Really looking forward to trying one of these out. I wonder about safety issue though, the last part of the video shows the player jerking his body around to avoid things in the game. Seems like a safe bet someone is going to end up hurting themselves and suing, curious to see what happens there.

Agreed - the price point is a bit high, and I dont think there will be many games I'm interested in at launch, so I'll probably wait and see.

The PSVR is substantially less then Oculus and other VR offerings...frankly Im shocked that VR is going to get here this soon. But Sony is committed to it, and there are a LOT of games in development already, not that I know much about them. There is a list on this wiki - 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_VR#Games

I think Allison Road is another one (spiritual successor to the cancelled Silent Hills game); nothing would make me crap my pants more than a surival horror game in VR. 

On 3/16/2016 at 4:01 PM, Bergen Jet said:

Have The Division gold edition, haven't started it yet.  Any advice for a noob who is going to start playing it tonight or tomorrow? 

I cant really give you tips.  It's a very involved game.  I'd just say get used to your controls, loot as much as possible and do the easy missions and side missions first.

Also, I finally found where some of the content from the trailer is in the game.  So now I see where those scenes come from but you have to basically find these video recordings from cell phones, CCTV, and then you have to find them on your profile and just play them and watch.  So you're not like playing through those scenes, it's almost more just like movie clips that you find and watch.

21 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Last FIFA I got was 12. Was going to get 13, but then they ****ed over my local team just before the game came out so I've been boycotting the games ever since.

Best soccer game ever is Sensible Soccer - not the most realistic, or accurate looking, but the gameplay is phenominal. It's an old one, Genesis, Spectrum etc... there were a couple of versions on the PS1 and PS2 which were shambolic though. There's talk of a new version coming out in the next couple of years, harking back to the good old days, though.

Out of curiosity, which team was it and how did they **** them over? Did they mess up the player stats? I've been playing in the Irish Airtricity League and with the Scotland national team. It seems like the other players turn to sh*t when I'm not out on the field. Seriously, I've gotten subbed out of the game before with a 2-0 lead late and seen them end up losing 4-2. It's unreal. 

6 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

Out of curiosity, which team was it and how did they **** them over? Did they mess up the player stats? I've been playing in the Irish Airtricity League and with the Scotland national team. It seems like the other players turn to sh*t when I'm not out on the field. Seriously, I've gotten subbed out of the game before with a 2-0 lead late and seen them end up losing 4-2. It's unreal. 

Monaghan United. We'd been promoted to the LoI Premier Division for 2012, and as a result we'd made it into FIFA 13 (That got so many people round here absolutely psyched for the game - The Mons versus Barcelona, etc) but halfway through the season, owing to financial reasons the club had to pull out of the league. At this point the game was all but finished, they already had the team in with all the stats, players etc, but at the last minute, they decided to remove us. Sickened.

Picked up Until Dawn from my library to mess around a bit before the Fallout 4 dlc drops....and I am extremely impressed with this game.

One of the best looking games I've played, and the voice acting & animations are great.

And jump scares....lots of jump scares....not sure how much further I have to go but it is a lot of fun...recommended.

• Upvote 1

Well, I finally took the plunge.

I was in GameStop yesterday and picked up Fallout 4, so I won't be leaving the house or showering for a while. I was somewhat surprised that they had it for $31.99, so you know, I couldn't not buy it. 

I won't be able to play it until this weekend, but I'm really looking forward to it. Anything I should know before getting into the game? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bombdirt said:

Well, I finally took the plunge.

I was in GameStop yesterday and picked up Fallout 4, so I won't be leaving the house or showering for a while. I was somewhat surprised that they had it for $31.99, so you know, I couldn't not buy it. 

I won't be able to play it until this weekend, but I'm really looking forward to it. Anything I should know before getting into the game? 

one of us...one of us... 

RIP free time

Well I hope you've been taking notes throughout this thread on all of my FO4 ramblings and circlejerking. 

Take the Idiot Savant perk as soon as you can, it will give you sh*tloads of random XP, less frequent the higher your intelligence. Also I highly recommend maxing Strong Park perks as soon as you can as well. The map seems smaller, but it's much more densely packed.

Depending on your difficulty level, here is the enemies map again...you start out in the northwest corner at Vault 111...actually this doesn't seem completely accurate. The highest level enemies are in the Glowing Sea, which is the southwest bottom of the map. 

This is all I can think of for now, I'm sure there's more. I'm at Level96 now (egads)

73rQ2NZ.jpg

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Fishooked said:

one of us...one of us... 

RIP free time

Well I hope you've been taking notes throughout this thread on all of my FO4 ramblings and circlejerking. 

Take the Idiot Savant perk as soon as you can, it will give you sh*tloads of random XP, less frequent the higher your intelligence. Also I highly recommend maxing Strong Park perks as soon as you can as well. The map seems smaller, but it's much more densely packed.

Yeah, I've been thumbing through some of the older posts here and making some mental notes. Lots of good info. I'm sure I'll have to return to it several times once I finally fire the game up and figure out what's going on. 

Can't wait. 

Spent a little time with Fallout 4 yesterday. I spent half an hour designing my character and am pretty happy with the variety available. I always play as female characters--the logic in that being that if I'm going to spend 100 hours of my life staring at someone's ass, I'd like the experience to be visually appealing. Also, it's fun controlling a kick-ass female and beating the holy living sh*t out of everyone. 

I'm kind of a weirdo when it comes to clothes, though. With everything available to do in this game, my first order of business was to look up all the different armors and outfits I could get. I'm a little disappointed in the selection there (and I wish I could mod the stuff like people do on the PC), but I think I'm going to try and find the Grognak outfit as soon as possible. 

23266236510_c0d62eca62_b.jpg

Anyway, I'm just starting to scratch the proverbial surface here and I'm sure I'll be back with a million annoying observations and inquiries. 

5 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

Spent a little time with Fallout 4 yesterday. I spent half an hour designing my character and am pretty happy with the variety available. I always play as female characters--the logic in that being that if I'm going to spend 100 hours of my life staring at someone's ass, I'd like the experience to be visually appealing. Also, it's fun controlling a kick-ass female and beating the holy living sh*t out of everyone. 

I'm kind of a weirdo when it comes to clothes, though. With everything available to do in this game, my first order of business was to look up all the different armors and outfits I could get. I'm a little disappointed in the selection there (and I wish I could mod the stuff like people do on the PC), but I think I'm going to try and find the Grognak outfit as soon as possible. 

23266236510_c0d62eca62_b.jpg

Anyway, I'm just starting to scratch the proverbial surface here and I'm sure I'll be back with a million annoying observations and inquiries. 

Your character looks like one of the companions, Cait. 

9 hours ago, Thor99 said:

That is Cait, wearing the Grognak costume I believe.

All I wanted to do this weekend is plop down and play the Automatron DLC, and I was repeatedly railroaded by family obligations. Dammit

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Thor99 said:

2 hours ago, Fishooked said:

That is Cait, wearing the Grognak costume I believe.

All I wanted to do this weekend is plop down and play the Automatron DLC, and I was repeatedly railroaded by family obligations. Dammit

Yeah, that's just some picture of the Grognak costume I grabbed off Google. My character is more of the sultry brunette type--think Salma Hayek in a vault suit. 

I started messing with the settlement building stuff a little bit last night; it was confusing the crap out of me at first and I'm still not sure I get it. I think I just need to play around with it some more. I feel like the game just kind of tosses you into some of these activities and objectives without much guidance and just assumes you'll figure it out. I've lost a lot of brain cells to beer, Fallout. I'm pretty slow these days. 

Case in point: I did that mission toward the beginning where you have to rescue those dudes at that museum by getting the Power Armor and chain gun on the roof. I jumped down to clear out the rest of the pussy enemies from the streets, then turned a corner to see a Deathclaw charging straight at me.

A Deathclaw.

On the second mission of the game.

And I suck with chain guns. I died four times before I finally got past it. 

190e013ff95c1e8fccf881a984060282.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

Yeah, that's just some picture of the Grognak costume I grabbed off Google. My character is more of the sultry brunette type--think Salma Hayek in a vault suit. 

I started messing with the settlement building stuff a little bit last night; it was confusing the crap out of me at first and I'm still not sure I get it. I think I just need to play around with it some more. I feel like the game just kind of tosses you into some of these activities and objectives without much guidance and just assumes you'll figure it out. I've lost a lot of brain cells to beer, Fallout. I'm pretty slow these days. 

Case in point: I did that mission toward the beginning where you have to rescue those dudes at that museum by getting the Power Armor and chain gun on the roof. I jumped down to clear out the rest of the pussy enemies from the streets, then turned a corner to see a Deathclaw charging straight at me.

A Deathclaw.

On the second mission of the game.

And I suck with chain guns. I died four times before I finally got past it. 

190e013ff95c1e8fccf881a984060282.jpg

LMAO....yeah from there you follow them into Sanctuary and setup shop. I think you only need to help 8 other settlements in order to advance the Minutemen questline, although I did do all of them. (30+ I think)

I really like the settlement buidling but it is kind of wonky, a lot of it is just experimenting. I spend virtually all of my time only building up 1 settlement, and I dumped A TON of time and resources into it. I know I posted it here already but here it is again (too many screenshots I know)

http://imgur.com/a/LEpJV

Now I'm in the process of slowly building up the rest of them, when Wasteland Workshop dlc comes out there should be a hell of a lot more options available. 

46 minutes ago, Fishooked said:

No all you have to do it listen to the caravan distress call, and head to the marker to start it.

Is there a certain place I have to be to receive the distress call? I was in diamond city and it never showed up on my radio/pip boy

8 minutes ago, rillo said:

Is there a certain place I have to be to receive the distress call? I was in diamond city and it never showed up on my radio/pip boy

That's weird....I'd check to make sure Automatron is showing in your add-ons tab first.

As soon as I booted up my save file, I got the message to tune into the distress call immediately.

It instructs you to find the caravan, it will be on the road just to the right of Wattz Consumer Electronics - 

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/0/02/Wattz_Consumer_Electronics_MapMarker.png

29 minutes ago, Fishooked said:

That's weird....I'd check to make sure Automatron is showing in your add-ons tab first.

As soon as I booted up my save file, I got the message to tune into the distress call immediately.

It instructs you to find the caravan, it will be on the road just to the right of Wattz Consumer Electronics - 

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/0/02/Wattz_Consumer_Electronics_MapMarker.png

So strange,I'm hoping i don't have to start over

Here's me playing Fallout 4

"I'm just gonna sit down and do a couple of quests, maybe search out that bobblehead that raises my--HOLY sh*t THE SUN IS DOWN I'VE BEEN PLAYING FOR 13 HOURS." 

It's taken over my life...I can't believe it's spring already. 

• Upvote 1

A couple of other Fallout observations: 

1. Is it me, or is the companion A.I. kind of wonky? I haven't even been playing that long but several times I've tried sneaking into a room--or just peeking my head inside--and my companion will burst through the doorway like "Hai, gaiz! Whatcha doin'?" and get us shot up. 

2. This also is probably just me, but it seems like the game is screwing with me on the first settlement. I tried messing with that Minutemen quest and building what the game told me to. Everything was going fine until I hit the part about building "something that requires power." I built several different things, but I keep getting that same command. I'm not sure what it wants me to do. This game kind of sucks at giving directions. It's about as specific as my wife when I ask her which restaurant she wants to go to for dinner: 

3. There are "rare" weapons in this game, right? How does that work? I thought I saw something about the Alpha monsters having a chance to drop them. 

1. Is it me, or is the companion A.I. kind of wonky? I haven't even been playing that long but several times I've tried sneaking into a room--or just peeking my head inside--and my companion will burst through the doorway like "Hai, gaiz! Whatcha doin'?" and get us shot up. 

2. This also is probably just me, but it seems like the game is screwing with me on the first settlement. I tried messing with that Minutemen quest and building what the game told me to. Everything was going fine until I hit the part about building "something that requires power." I built several different things, but I keep getting that same command. I'm not sure what it wants me to do. This game kind of sucks at giving directions. It's about as specific as my wife when I ask her which restaurant she wants to go to for dinner: 

3. There are "rare" weapons in this game, right? How does that work? I thought I saw something about the Alpha monsters having a chance to drop them. 

1.  I've also had quite a few Leeroy Jenkins moments, it's pretty annoying. 

2.  You probably have to build a generator. Don't forget to run a wire to whatever needs the power. 

3.  I haven't run into any yet, but watch out for the glowing deathclaws. Those are lots of fun.  Not to mention the queen mirelurk. 

I went with with the Institute, which sucks.  They don't have any missions after you take down the BOS. Now all I have are the Minuteman missions, which get boring, and whatever I run into while exploring.   Guess I'll start over soon. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

1. Yeah well as with any Bethesda game they will always get stuck in doorways and get in your way lol. They get annoying at times but you can just leave them behind or have them wait outside. 

2. Settlement building is an acquired taste lol - I guess they are asking you to build a generator, you'll need that for the larger water purifiers. Once you build both you'll need to attach a wire to it in order to get it working.

3. Anytime you encounter an enemy that says 'Legendary' on it there is a random drop of weapons or clothing. There's some good ones, but there are some bad drops too. I have so many now I don't know what to do with them all. 

If you really want an overpowered weapon, find Cricket - she's the wandering trader (you'll usually find her near Vault 81) - get the Spray n Pray - explosive damage bullets - and the higher your explosives perks, the greater the damage. It's kind of OP but its fun as well. 

• Upvote 1

LOL @ Leeroy Jenkins. Some of the companion actions do remind me of him. That's one of those things which is only funny when it happens to other people--kind of like getting hit in the nuts. It's not so bad here, though. I never have to go too far back when I die and restart. 

I'm going on what's likely an ill-advised bobblehead hunt right now in the Trinity Tower. I ran into a Legendary Super Mutant up there last night, which is the first legendary I've noticed so far. I got my ass kicked by him and three or four adds, then when I reloaded the save and went back the legendary wasn't there. 

After this one I think I'll hold off on my bobblehead collecting for a while until I'm a little stronger and have better weapons. I'm kind of a pussy right now. Definitely going to seek out all the bobbleheads, though--that's one of my favorite things to do in these games. 

On an unrelated note, I love this Idiot Savant perk--and the noise it makes when it kicks in. 

2 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

LOL @ Leeroy Jenkins. Some of the companion actions do remind me of him. That's one of those things which is only funny when it happens to other people--kind of like getting hit in the nuts. It's not so bad here, though. I never have to go too far back when I die and restart. 

I'm going on what's likely an ill-advised bobblehead hunt right now in the Trinity Tower. I ran into a Legendary Super Mutant up there last night, which is the first legendary I've noticed so far. I got my ass kicked by him and three or four adds, then when I reloaded the save and went back the legendary wasn't there. 

After this one I think I'll hold off on my bobblehead collecting for a while until I'm a little stronger and have better weapons. I'm kind of a pussy right now. Definitely going to seek out all the bobbleheads, though--that's one of my favorite things to do in these games. 

On an unrelated note, I love this Idiot Savant perk--and the noise it makes when it kicks in. 

Idiot Savant perk never gets old for me. My kids love it too - 

Usually when the wife passes our early (which happens often) and my girls dont want to go to sleep they will bring their laptops downstairs and play Minecraft while I'm playing FO4. Whenever Idiot Savant kicks in it always brings the lulz from all 3 of us.

The Bobbleheads arent too hard to get in this game  - at least it's not like what happened in Fallout3 where if you forgot to take it from Vault 101 or Raven Rock you were pretty much screwed forever. 

I am trying to collect all of the magazines at the moment - I think there is 123 of them or something like that, I think I have like 10 left.