Do we have an Official Video Games thread here?

Fishooked

Cool - I've actually been playing that on and off - I don't want to get to attached to it since I borrowed it from my library, of all places, lol. I have to bring it back next week, they dont let you extend renewals if someone else is waiting for it. That game has been a lot of fun so far, I think you'll like it. All I will say is that riding Caragors is loads of fun. 

Wow, never knew libraries allowed you to get games.

Wow, never knew libraries allowed you to get games.

Same here, and I hadn't set foot in one in a long time. I guess I'm lucky our town library is very well funded, loads of donations too, etc. I hadn't set foot in one in years, until the kids got older (school projects etc), and I was blown away.

Extensive DVD movies and TV series on DVDs, and I was shocked to see games in there too. Not a crazy amount, but they had a lot of Wii/DS/360/PS3 games, most from donations. I was shocked that they started carrying XB1/PS4 games to boot. Can't complain about borrowing them for free, it's a nice 'try before you buy' type deal, like having an extended 2-week demo.

What's it called when it's a game like I think, call of duty? Where you don't see yourself, you see in front of you? Most shooter games are like that. The controls or more movement of your head and torso or aiming your gun. I HATE THOSE GAMES. They make me nauseous. And it's so hard to control. Too much movement. What those type of games called again? I want a super scary game without that type of BS.

I get nauseous playing those games too.

I recently started gaming again. Mostly for Madden. My nephew plays and whip his ass online all the time.

When I bought Madden, I asked the nerd what games are like Fable because that was the last game I was into before I stopped playing games. They pointed me to God of War. Good sh*t, but I've beaten them all already.

Anyone know of similar games?

I get nauseous playing those games too.

I recently started gaming again. Mostly for Madden. My nephew plays and whip his ass online all the time.

When I bought Madden, I asked the nerd what games are like Fable because that was the last game I was into before I stopped playing games. They pointed me to God of War. Good sh*t, but I've beaten them all already.

Anyone know of similar games?

God of War? That's hardly an RPG, not that I know much about RPGs....but for which system?

Anyway I found this for you, it sounds like you need something in 3rd person view though

http://similarsam.hubpages.com/hub/games-like-fable-2

God of War? That's hardly an RPG, not that I know much about RPGs....but for which system?

Anyway I found this for you, it sounds like you need something in 3rd person view though

http://similarsam.hubpages.com/hub/games-like-fable-2

I have PS3. I don't know you mean it's hardly RPG. Role playing game?

All I know is I like that type of a game where your character grows as the game goes on and you kill sh*t and do stuff to get past levels and you see the whole body and not just the first person view.

Thanks for the link!

All I know is I like that type of a game where your character grows as the game goes on and you kill sh*t and do stuff to get past levels and you see the whole body and not just the first person view.

Thanks for the link!

Dragon Age is like Fable

Yeah I'd recommend Dragon Age as well. The first one was good the second one was meh but still okay; haven't played Inquisition yet.

I picked up Dungeon Siege 3 the other day and it reminds me of Fable a little bit. There is not so much personal customization and the loot table is kind of blah but it's a pretty solid game.

Also if you haven't played Skyrim you owe it to yourself to go buy a copy. It's awesome.

Thanks for the link!

Come on man, keep up with the nerdspeak :P 

I'd highly recommend Skyrim as well, as I have sunk hundreds of hours into it - it's mainly first person view, but there is a 3rd person view you can switch to. Along the same lines Im a huge Fallout fan, so I'd recommend Fallout3 & Fallout:New Vegas too - all 3 games can be had on the cheap for sure. You can always check out gamplay videos on youtube before you decide. 

Today I broke down and got Dragon's Age:Inquisition, after anguishing over COD: Advanced Warfare, FarCry4, and GTAV. 

I'll post my impressions soon enough.

Cool - I've actually been playing that on and off - I don't want to get to attached to it since I borrowed it from my library, of all places, lol. I have to bring it back next week, they dont let you extend renewals if someone else is waiting for it. That game has been a lot of fun so far, I think you'll like it. All I will say is that riding Caragors is loads of fun. 

Loving Shadow of Mordor so far. 

2014 Video Game Awards nominees - 

linky 

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Game-Awards-2014-Nominees-Revealed-68511.html

The Game Awards 2014 won't be stingy with trophies. Today producer Geoff Keighley revealed that 21 awards will be given out during the event's first year. 

Like spiritual predecessor Spike VGX, The Game Awards recognizes the best games in the past year across several genres and platforms. It also asks gamers to vote on the upcoming game they're most excited for. Voice actors are once again up for awards, though male and female performers are now competing for the same crown. 

The Game Awards doesn't only recognize the folks making the games, though. Instead, they're also recognizing the culture around games. For example, the top video personalities will compete for the awkwardly named "Best Trending Gamer." eSport teams and individual players will also be recognized. The "Best Fan Creation" award will commend viral sensations like Luigi Death Stare and Twitch Plays Pokemon

Here's the full list of nominees and awards, announced by Keighley today on Twitch (via GI):

Best Shooter

• Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare – Sledgehammer/Activision
  • Destiny – Bungie/Activision
  • Far Cry 4 – Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft
  • Titanfall – Respawn/EA
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order – MachineGames/Bethesda

Best Action/Adventure

• Alien: Isolation – Creative Assembly/Sega
  • Assassin’s Creed Unity – Ubisoft
  • Bayonetta 2 – Platinum Games/Nintendo
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor – Monolith/Warner Bros.
  • Sunset Overdrive – Insomniac/Microsoft

Best Role Playing Game

• Bravely Default – Square Enix
  • Dark Souls II – From Software/Bandai Namco
  • Divinity: Original Sin – Larian Studios
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition – Bioware/EA
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth – Obsidian/Ubisoft

Best Fighting Game

• Killer Instinct: Season Two – Iron Galaxy Studios/Microsoft
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax – Arc System Works/Atlus
  • Super Smash Bros. 3DS – Nintendo
  • Super Smash Bros. Wii U – Nintendo
  • Ultimate Street Fighter IV – Capcom

Best Family Game

• Disney Infinity 2.0 – Avalanche Software/Disney Interactive Studios
  • Fantasia: Music Evolved – Harmonix/Disney Interactive Studios
  • Mario Kart 8 – Nintendo
  • Skylanders: Trap Team – Toys for Bob/Activision
  • Tomodachi Life – Nintendo

Best Sports/Racing Game

• FIFA 15 – EA Canada/EA Sports
  • Forza Horizon 2 – Playground Games/Turn 10 Studios/Microsoft
  • Mario Kart 8 – Nintendo
  • NBA 2K15 – Visual Concepts/2K Sports
  • Trials Fusion – RedLynx/Ubisoft

Best Online Experience

• Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare – Sledgehammer Games/Activision
  • Dark Souls II – From Software/Bandai Namco
  • Destiny – Bungie/Activision
  • Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft – Blizzard
  • Titanfall – Respawn/EA

Best Mobile/Handheld

• Bravely Default – Square Enix
  • Monument Valley – Ustwo
  • Super Smash Bros. for 3DS – Nintendo
  • Threes – Asher Vollmer, illustrator Greg Wohlwend, and composer Jimmy Hinson

Best Remaster

• Grand Theft Auto V – Rockstar Games
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection – 343 Industries/Microsoft
  • Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire – Game Freak/Nintendo
  • The Last of Us – Naughty Dog/Sony
  • Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition Crystal Dynamics/Square Enix

Best Narrative

• South Park: The Stick of Truth – Obsidian/Ubisoft
  • The Walking Dead Season 2 – Telltale Games
  • The Wolf Among Us – Telltale Games
  • Valiant Hearts – Ubisoft
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order – Machine Games/Bethesda

Best Score/Soundtrack

• Alien: Isolation – Joe Henson and Alexis Smith, The Creative Assembly/Sega
  • Child of Light – Coeur de pirate, Ubisoft Montreal
  • Destiny – Marty O’Donnell, Bungie/Activision
  • Sunset Overdrive – Boris Salchow, Insomniac Games/Microsoft
  • Transistor – Darren Korb, Supergiant Games

Best Independent Game

• Broken Age Part 1 – Double Fine
  • Monument Valley – Ustwo
  • Shovel Knight – Cellar Door
  • Transistor – Supergiant Games
  • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter – The Astronauts

Games for Change

• Mountain – David O’Reilly/Double Fine Presents
  • Never Alone – Upper One Games
  • The Last of Us: Left Behind – Naughty Dog/Sony
  • This War of Mine – 11bit Studios
  • Valiant Hearts: The Great War – Ubisoft

eSports Player of the Year

• Martin ‘Rekkles’ Larsson – League of Legends
  • Xu “Fy” Linsen – Dota 2
  • James “Firebat” Kostesich – Hearthstone
  • Christopher “GeT_RiGhT” Alesund – Counter-Strike: GO
  • Matt “NaDeSHoT” Haag – Call of Duty

eSports Team of the Year

• Samsung White – League of Legends
  • Evil Geniuses – Dota 2
  • Edward Gaming – League of Legends
  • Newbee – Dota 2
  • Ninjas in Pajamas – Counter-Strike: GO

Trending Gamer

• Evan “Vanoss” Fong
  • Jeff Gerstmann
  • PewDiePie
  • StampyLongHead
  • TotalBiscuit

Best Fan Creation

• BEST Zelda Rap EVER!! By Egoraptor
  • Luigi Death Stare by CZBwoi and Rizupicorr
  • Mine the Diamond (Minecraft Song) by Tobuscus
  • Minecraft – TITAN City by Colonial Puppet
  • Twitch Plays Pokemon by Anonymous

Developer of the Year

• Blizzard
  • Monolith
  • Nintendo
  • Telltale Games
  • Ubisoft Montreal

Best Performance

• Adam Harrington as Bigby Wolf, The Wolf Among Us – Telltale Games
  • Kevin Spacey as Jonathan Irons, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare – Sledgehammer Games/Activision
  • Melissa Hutchison as Clementine, The Walking Dead: Season Two – Telltale Games
  • Trey Parker as Various Voices, South Park: The Stick of Truth – Obsidian/Ubisoft
  • Troy Baker as Talion, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor – Monolith/Warner Bros.

Most Anticipated Game – (To be voted on by fans)

• Batman: Arkham Knight – Rocksteady/Warner Bros.
  • Bloodborne – FROM Software/Sony
  • Evolve – Turtle Rock/2K Games
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – CD Projekt
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End – Naughty Dog/Sony

Game of the Year

• Bayonetta 2 – Platinum Games/Nintendo
  • Dark Souls 2 – FROM Software/Bandai Namco
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition – BioWare/EA
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor – Monolith/Warner Bros.

The Game Awards 2014 will be streamed live on Dec. 5 starting at 9 p.m. Eastern.

So, I got Dragons Age and New Vegas. Definitely not what I remember Fable being like and not like the God of War games. Don't like them. Make me nauseous and it's too little action and too many scenes and what not....pretty boring (no offense).

I need more action.

If you're going to roll with New Vegas, I would highly recommend getting Fallout3: Game Of The Year Edition first, if you haven't played it already, and it can be had dirt cheap.

Maybe I'm biased because it's one of my favorite games of all time.

You can swtich from first to 3rd person mode in it as well, although I usually play it in first person mode. There is a lot of exploration, so you're not constantly fighting enemies/shooting all the time. Same goes for New Vegas, although some of the enemies are harder in Vegas.

If you're going to roll with New Vegas, I would highly recommend getting Fallout3: Game Of The Year Edition first, if you haven't played it already, and it can be had dirt cheap.

Maybe I'm biased because it's one of my favorite games of all time.

You can swtich from first to 3rd person mode in it as well, although I usually play it in first person mode. There is a lot of exploration, so you're not constantly fighting enemies/shooting all the time. Same goes for New Vegas, although some of the enemies are harder in Vegas.

Yeah, there not my style.  Too much walking around, exploring as you say.  I wanted something more action packed, which I recall from Fable but it was year ago.

Again, the example of games I like non-sports (which is all I play really) was God of War.  Someone told me I'd probably like a lot of the Comics Hero type games and someone else told me Tomb Raider is very similar to God of War, just not as much fighting.

I dunno...but those other games are not for me.

So, I got Dragons Age and New Vegas. Definitely not what I remember Fable being like and not like the God of War games. Don't like them. Make me nauseous and it's too little action and too many scenes and what not....pretty boring (no offense).

I need more action.

Yeah, Fallout is more geared toward exploration and discovery. The fun with those games is running around the world map and finding a building full of bad guys to waste, then scouring the place for loot. Skyrim is like that, too.

It sounds like you're wanting more of an action game with RPG elements (like character building) in it, which is tough since a lot of the good ones (Bioshock, Borderlands, etc.) are first-person only.

I don't have a PS3 so I've never played them, but you might check out the Uncharted games. I know they're third-person and action-oriented. They get pretty good reviews and the screenshots look nice. There may be some other PS3-exclusive games out there that might fit the bill as well, but I'm not familiar enough with the system to make suggestions.

The latest Tomb Raider game has quite a bit of action in it, too. As a matter of fact, the overabundance of gun-fighting sequences was what made me dislike that game, since it was such a departure from the other games in the series. The Tomb Raider franchise has historically been about puzzle-solving and exploration--which is what I loved about it--and the most recent one seemed like it was trying to emulate Call of Duty or something.

Does killing a sh*tload of zombies sound appealing? You might check out Dead Rising 2. I played the first one and had fun with it.

Dead-Rising-2-Case-Zero-Photos.jpg

Yeah, Fallout is more geared toward exploration and discovery. The fun with those games is running around the world map and finding a building full of bad guys to waste, then scouring the place for loot. Skyrim is like that, too.

It sounds like you're wanting more of an action game with RPG elements (like character building) in it, which is tough since a lot of the good ones (Bioshock, Borderlands, etc.) are first-person only.

I don't have a PS3 so I've never played them, but you might check out the Uncharted games. I know they're third-person and action-oriented. They get pretty good reviews and the screenshots look nice. There may be some other PS3-exclusive games out there that might fit the bill as well, but I'm not familiar enough with the system to make suggestions.

The latest Tomb Raider game has quite a bit of action in it, too. As a matter of fact, the overabundance of gun-fighting sequences was what made me dislike that game, since it was such a departure from the other games in the series. The Tomb Raider franchise has historically been about puzzle-solving and exploration--which is what I loved about it--and the most recent one seemed like it was trying to emulate Call of Duty or something.

Does killing a sh*tload of zombies sound appealing? You might check out Dead Rising 2. I played the first one and had fun with it.

Dead-Rising-2-Case-Zero-Photos.jpg

God of War has some puzzle solving elements to it...thats what I liked about.  I had to look up a walk through to get through a few sections because I couldnt figure out what order to do what or what or which door to go through first, etc.  And it was cool because you get stronger with more health, you get different magic, there is some loot finding elements and its like old school games where you clear levels...the character evolves.  And its more of like a 360 view where you can attack at all angles and the view is from like far above the character.

Zombie killing might be fun.  I'll try it out.  

Any experience with playing Comic Hero type games? 

God of War has some puzzle solving elements to it...thats what I liked about.  I had to look up a walk through to get through a few sections because I couldnt figure out what order to do what or what or which door to go through first, etc.  And it was cool because you get stronger with more health, you get different magic, there is some loot finding elements and its like old school games where you clear levels...the character evolves.  And its more of like a 360 view where you can attack at all angles and the view is from like far above the character.

Zombie killing might be fun.  I'll try it out.  

Any experience with playing Comic Hero type games? 

Not a whole lot, but everybody seems to like the Batman games (Arkham City and Arkham Asylum; those are definitely worth looking into) and there are at least a couple of Spiderman games out there that are supposed to be good, but I can't speak from experience on those.

The only thing with Uncharted is that's not really an RPG-type of game, but they are fun as hell, and third person view.

I loved the Tomb Raider remake, that game does allow for unlockables and upgradeables for your weapons and so forth. 

Game is great looking on the PS3 as well, and of course, staring at Lara's hooters is a nice perk. 

Regarding Fallout 3 & Vegas....well you certainly won't have to walk very far or explore for long without running into something to shoot.

Each kill gives you XP in which to unlock other perks,

I don't know if I've posted this, but Conan's Clueless Gamer series is hysterical, he's done quite a bit of them, here is his from Tomb Raider

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-conan-obrien-reviews-tomb-raider?playlist=x;eyJ0eXBlIjoiZXRhZyIsImlkIjozNjc0N30

Be sure to watch the other ones as well 

Been playing Inquisition. I take it it's one of those games that's boring until you level up your team after 10 hours?

i've been playing it as well, the problem is I keep getting distracted by Destiny.

It's the game I love to hate.

Leveling up is a major grind, the story leaves a lot to be desired,  but the gunplay is just so good. 

I was warned that Destiny sucks.

There's a lot of people saying that. The problem is it never delivered on the sheer amount of hype that was created for the game.

I never had an XBox, so I never played a minute of Halo, so I guess this is what it was like.

The story falls flat and isn't engaging, it's not open-world as they made it out to be, missions and enemies are repetetive. 

My only major beef at the moment is the endless grind to takes to acquire certain things to upgrade to the next level.

On the plus side the worlds and environments look gorgeous, the gunplay is fast and responsive, and multiplayer is sh*tloads of fun.

Overall it's pretty solid, just not worth a day 1 purchase I think.