Do we have an Official Video Games thread here?

Fishooked

On 1/14/2018 at 4:55 PM, CTM said:

Same, I've never even heard of the series though

I think it's bigger in Asia than here. There is a learning curve, but if you like learning combos and with different weapon types and crafting, then the multiplayer group hunts are supposedly pretty fun. I'd recommend watching a video first and seeing if you'd be into it. I personally tried it and didn't get into it, but i think it's the type of thing if you like it, you'll love how deep and challenging it is. 

• 2 weeks later...

Monster Hunter is something I may pick up, trying to read up on it as much as possible. Looks like fun but Japanese games are always awkward for me. Whether it's the controllers or the camera angle just feels clunky. I do like the co-op action however. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I saw a bunch of NFL dudes tweeting about it, so I bought it for $20. It’s fun, but the addicts have gotten too ******* good at it so I don’t even think about turning it on anymore. 

Rookies should start off in a squad. Just find 3 friends.... 

Nevermind 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2018 at 5:38 PM, CTM said:

anyone know about this monster hunter thing?  Seems to have some buzz

I picked up "Monster Hunter World" yesterday. I'm a little late to the party on it. First impressions: 

1. There is a loooooot of information to digest. 

2. The learning curve is pretty steep; I've been playing for a whole day and I still don't have any idea what half my stuff is for or how to do much of anything. 

3. The formula to this game seems to be pretty simple: hunt monster, kill monster, make better stuff from monster's loot, hunt bigger monster, wash, rinse, repeat. I wonder if I'll get tired of the repetition. 

4. It seems to play pretty well; it's a good-looking and engaging game with a ton of stuff to discover. 

• 5 weeks later...

Just got done re-beating Kingdom Hearts 2. Haven’t played the game since I was 11. My little brother bought the remastered edition for the PS4 so I had to take it down once again and the nostalgia of it all was just great....

About to re-beat my Resident Evil 7: Biohazard...one of the best games I played in a long time and definitely the best since Resident Evil 4.(which ironically came out the same year as Kingdom Hearts 2.) Resident Evil 7 is pure gold.

• Upvote 1

I played through FarCry5 because I like being a serial killer and the game isn’t worth paying for if you already have FC4. Same mechanics, same themes, worse story. And FC5 doesn’t even have any replay value because once you win, most of the evil hillbillies don’t respawn, and there’s nothing of interest to do. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I played through FarCry5 because I like being a serial killer and the game isn’t worth paying for if you already have FC4. Same mechanics, same themes, worse story. And FC5 doesn’t even have any replay value because once you win, most of the evil hillbillies don’t respawn, and there’s nothing of interest to do. 

Worth picking up if you never played the series?  I was thinking if grabbing it when I finish witcher 3

18 minutes ago, CTM said:

Worth picking up if you never played the series?  I was thinking if grabbing it when I finish witcher 3

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, well. It’s a classic time-waster that’s open-world where you can do anything—fly planes, helicopters, cars, trucks, boats, etc. The stories are generally stupid, and the missions are cookie-cutter, but you’re mostly spending time just repeatedly picking off bad guys with a huge, silenced sniper rifle trying to take over compounds without them pulling the alarms. I won’t say it’s worth $50 bucks, but if you’re just looking for something to do to check your brain out for a few hours, then it’s fine. If you want to save some bucks, pick up 4 at GameStop for $10 and it’s basically the same game.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, well. It’s a classic time-waster that’s open-world where you can do anything—fly planes, helicopters, cars, trucks, boats, etc. The stories are generally stupid, and the missions are cookie-cutter, but you’re mostly spending time just repeatedly picking off bad guys with a huge, silenced sniper rifle trying to take over compounds without them pulling the alarms. I won’t say it’s worth $50 bucks, but if you’re just looking for something to do to check your brain out for a few hours, then it’s fine. If you want to save some bucks, pick up 4 at GameStop for $10 and it’s basically the same game.

Got it thanks. It's hard to figure out which of these AAA titles are actually any good because most of the reviewers seem to cower to the big companies, and the fan boys of specific IPs pump up the community reviews. 

Just looking to eat some Gummies and explore an open world a few nights a week. Prefer its as immersive as possible and not a monotonous grind. 

I've found it to be a better option than going out drinking these days ;)

17 minutes ago, CTM said:

Got it thanks. It's hard to figure out which of these AAA titles are actually any good because most of the reviewers seem to cower to the big companies, and the fan boys of specific IPs pump up the community reviews. 

Just looking to eat some Gummies and explore an open world a few nights a week. Prefer its as immersive as possible and not a monotonous grind. 

I've found it to be a better option than going out drinking these days ;)

100% the same reason I pick these up. FarCry 4 and 5 are good for that. I was disappointed in 5 because it played so much like 4, and it was advertised as being this crazy new sh*t. With you, too, on the reviews being ****ed up. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve fallen into that trap. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

100% the same reason I pick these up. FarCry 4 and 5 are good for that. I was disappointed in 5 because it played so much like 4, and it was advertised as being this crazy new sh*t. With you, too, on the reviews being ****ed up. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve fallen into that trap. 

100%. I'll probably pick up 5 only cause I assume the graphics are better than 4. 

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The new God of War was the other one I was thinking about. Did you play that? 

1 minute ago, CTM said:

I’m waiting for the price to drop on it, but I’ve only read amazing things about it. I’ve played some of the older ones and it’s really pretty button-mashing, but they say this one gives you more freedom and has a Skyrim feel to it.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m waiting for the price to drop on it, but I’ve only read amazing things about it. I’ve played some of the older ones and it’s really pretty button-mashing, but they say this one gives you more freedom and has a Skyrim feel to it.

Yeah reviews seem solid but as already discussed they are hard to trust. I just switched to PS this generation after having Microsoft the last 2 so I've never played the older ones. 

Let me know what you think if you pick it up. 

• Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Just got done re-beating Kingdom Hearts 2. Haven’t played the game since I was 11. My little brother bought the remastered edition for the PS4 so I had to take it down once again and the nostalgia of it all was just great....

About to re-beat my Resident Evil 7: Biohazard...one of the best games I played in a long time and definitely the best since Resident Evil 4.(which ironically came out the same year as Kingdom Hearts 2.) Resident Evil 7 is pure gold.

I liked RE7 more than I thought I would. I'm a longtime fanboy of the series and I thought the switch to first-person would be a deal-breaker but I did enjoy it. My favorite is still RE6 though; I'm one of the few people who really loved that one apparently. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

FC5 is in my backlog of games to try but if it's that lame and repetitive I'll probably push it further down the list. I've played FC3 and it was okay--haven't gotten around to FC4 either though. 

3 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

I liked RE7 more than I thought I would. I'm a longtime fanboy of the series and I thought the switch to first-person would be a deal-breaker but I did enjoy it. My favorite is still RE6 though; I'm one of the few people who really loved that one apparently. 

I didn’t like RE6 at all. It was too much action. I’m more of a survival horror guy. 

But this new Resident Evil 2 remake looks SICK.

11 hours ago, CTM said:

I've loved every game they've produced so I'm all over it.  It looks like the best of the series.  Which if that's the case, it will be bad ass. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seen some “Last Of Us 2” gameplay a week ago and man it looks absolutely amazing from every aspect. 

Last Of Us was one of the best games I ever played and the second looks like it will not disappoint. Now I just have to cross my fingers that the story line and character development is up to par but it’s Naughty Dog so I have faith.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Seen some “Last Of Us 2” gameplay a week ago and man it looks absolutely amazing from every aspect. 

Last Of Us was one of the best games I ever played and the second looks like it will not disappoint. Now I just have to cross my fingers that the story line and character development is up to par but it’s Naughty Dog so I have faith.

Didnt even know they were coming out with 2.  That's a must.  The first one was like you said, one of the best games I've ever played.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Like a moron, I read one good review about Madden 19 and, like a moron, I paid 60 bucks for it and, as expected, it’s the same overly complicated joyless slog its been for more than a decade. 

You should go old school and pick up Tecmo Super Bowl. Relive the average physical condition of left guard Mike Haight, for example. Much more rewarding. 

13.png

On 8/18/2018 at 10:33 PM, T0mShane said:

Like a moron, I read one good review about Madden 19 and, like a moron, I paid 60 bucks for it and, as expected, it’s the same overly complicated joyless slog its been for more than a decade. 

I feel the franchise mode has finally received some long overdue care... BUT some of the player motions are still downright awkward. Power running backs getting stood straight up by tiny corners in open field, and even elite wide receivers having zilch sideline awareness as they never change their stride and fail to get two feet in bounds. Like a moron, I was suckered into $60 as well. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/19/2018 at 1:02 AM, Bombdirt said:

You should go old school and pick up Tecmo Super Bowl. Relive the average physical condition of left guard Mike Haight, for example. Much more rewarding. 

13.png

I played this yesterday!!

We got the retro SNES, and then my son went online and added an extra 250 games.  It took him just a few hours.

Side note, he also did it with the classic NES, and added over 700 games.   I didn't even know they had that many.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I played this yesterday!!

We got the retro SNES, and then my son went online and added an extra 250 games.  It took him just a few hours.

Side note, he also did it with the classic NES, and added over 700 games.   I didn't even know they had that many.

I wouldn't mind having those retro consoles; haven't picked one up yet partly because I'm kind of pissed at Nintendo for only making like five of them when they first came out. I would think a company that big and experienced would anticipate demand and actually make enough product to satiate consumers instead of whatever bullsh*t sales strategy that debacle was, but I guess that's why I'm not a Professional Business Guy. But I digress. 

As far as the Madden thing goes, I'll try a new one out every few years or so but I honestly haven't been wowed by the franchise in quite a while. It just seems like the same crap over and over with slight upgrades in graphics here and there. Maybe I'm just old and jaded but it's not nearly as fun as it used to be and feels stale in just about every aspect.