Here's why Geno Smith SHOULD start from here on out

lancemehl

OK forget about who deserves what and also understand that they will screw it up anyway, but just for a logical discussion's sake

What are the pros and cons of starting each guy? What are the best/worst scenerios?

Start Vick:

The best thing that could happen is we win out. VIck does his thing, shake and bake. We finish 8-8, no playoffs and a mid-level draft pick. Geno Smith is finished, although still inconclusive, for the same reasons Sanchez was...and MAY potentially go to another team and be successful. He HaS showed signs at times.

Vick, our hero, turns 35.

The worst thing is he sux and straight chaos ensues. lol

Another likely scenerio is injury which negates everything, but takes starts away from Smith in case he did need to come back. He seems like the type that would disappear (moreso) mentally quickly if hes sidelined.

Start Smith:

The best thing is he digs deep and turns it around, now with Harvin, Decker healthy, Amaro coming around somewhat and maybe the two headed RB could step up. We win out. Still no playoffs, but we wouldnt need to draft another QB. We would have plenty of reason for optimism going into the offseason.

The worst thing is he sucks and they lose out. Is that really the worst? We draft number one, get another franchise QB to make us happy for a minute until we ruin him. lol

We can then feel MUCH better about moving on from SMith, having seen six more bombs from him.

Bottomline is we HAVE nothing to save here except for Idzig and/or Rexs jobs. ...which is the only reason Vick is starting. But it is only intelligent, in the wake of the Sanchez embarrassment to be ABSOLUTELY as sure as you could be before throwing away high Draft pick QBs.

At this point losses=higher draft slot next year and wins (especially Vick-led wins) = nada.

Thoughts?

(And I swear this has nothing to do with the fact that I love dogs. lol)

Vick makes the team much, much, much better which  means more reps, which means more work for the offense to build some continuity. Let's see what the receivers look like with an (at least) average QB slinging it.  I want Decker, Amaro, Harvin, Kerley, etc to get as many reps on offense as possible. The season is lost, Geno is clueless, and getting 2 FG's a game with a dozen 3-and-outs does nothing for the future.

No, no and no.

Start Vick the rest of the year.  Only consider Smith if Vick gets injured.  Then find a new QB for next year.  

Geno Smith is not NFL starting QB material.  He makes too many bonehead decisions.

Hire a proven QB coach and get him a decent backup that will mentor him. Ever watch other NFL games and notice the minute the QB comes off the field they are surrounded by guys with I-pads or print outs of the opposing teams defense not here. 

I don't think Geno got a fair shake here either, but when Vick went in it was like night and day.  If Geno is going to get back in, he has to earn it or Vick has to get hurt.  You're in the entertainment business, give your fans something to cheer about.

MM didn't call the right plays for Geno Smith he was good when he rolled out and set up in the shotgun MM is the reason Smith stunk notice Vick runs for his life as well only thing he's a better runner than Geno don't fall for the smoke screen. 

OK forget about who deserves what and also understand that they will screw it up anyway, but just for a logical discussion's sake

What are the pros and cons of starting each guy? What are the best/worst scenerios?

Start Vick:

The best thing that could happen is we win out. VIck does his thing, shake and bake. We finish 8-8, no playoffs and a mid-level draft pick. Geno Smith is finished, although still inconclusive, for the same reasons Sanchez was...and MAY potentially go to another team and be successful. He HaS showed signs at times.

Vick, our hero, turns 35.

Its not inconclusive brother. Geno Smith wont work in this scheme. Let Geno go somewhere where he can establish a career. 

Deep down the only reason why anyone would like Geno to start is because they dont want Michael Vick messing up our draft position by winning football games. Thats the truth, and I feel that. My thing is this, we have other people that we need to evaluate, such as a TE in Amaro and a WR in Harvin. Throwing Geno in will basically throw away our opportunity to see if Amaro is serviceable and if Harvin is worth keeping. I'll sacrifice the draft position if Im able to find out that we filled our TE hole and our WR1 hole. 

As a side note. I like the Adams/Williams CB tandem as well. If this team starts winning football games it wont solely be because of Vick, who had like 140 yards against the Steelers. It'll be a collective effort by no name guys such as Jarrett, who just played brilliantly, along with Williams and Adams. Short term it would be great to get a high rounder, long term wise if we found a few diamonds in the rough on defense and solidified skill set positions on offense then that high round pick wont be needed because imo there's no QB this year worth a top 3 pick. 

Geno Smith looks mentally shot.  He's sulking and certainly does not seem to be a leader.  We can argue about whether he was ruined or sucked from the get-go, but the kid needs some time on the pine.  It won't help anybody to play him and with guys like CJ and Johnson on the team, it would probably cause a mutiny.  Let him sit until Vick gets hurt.  Then maybe he can see some more time with no pressure. 

A smart team would recognize a lost season, go into full-blown "roster evaluation" mode, and play the kids (including at QB, which would mean Geno and/or Simms) to see what they have and try developing them for the future. Since the Jets are decidedly not a smart team, we'll unfortunately do the opposite.

Thats what Idzik/Rex is doing. QB isn't the only position under review. you have a LG under review who's been doing rather well with Vick under center. Putting in Vick allows other positions on offense to be evaluated. Leaving Geno in will stagnate the entire offense. If that 1-7 start hasnt convince people yet then I dont know what will. 

Letting Smith start again after the joke that was the Bills game would be a mistake imo. These guys are pros...you cant throw a guy in who clearly doesnt care..especially at QB at the expense of the rest of the team. Geno got plenty of chances to prove he was about being a pro...and he failed. 

some people enjoy an embarrassing 2-14 season. Most don't. Smith will give us a 4 win season at best. Vick can give us an 8 win season at best (all games winnable with imo). I'd rather we go 8-8 and get the 16th pick than go 4-12 and get the 8th pick. Geno just killed his reputation the last couple of games.

Letting Smith start again after the joke that was the Bills game would be a mistake imo. These guys are pros...you cant throw a guy in who clearly doesnt care..especially at QB at the expense of the rest of the team. Geno got plenty of chances to prove he was about being a pro...and he failed. 

Totally agreed. Geno can drop the morale of the entire team with his play.Just like he wouldn't be held accountable for his sh*t, other players would feel they can get away with a half-assed effort as well. 

A smart team would recognize a lost season, go into full-blown "roster evaluation" mode, and play the kids (including at QB, which would mean Geno and/or Simms) to see what they have and try developing them for the future. Since the Jets are decidedly not a smart team, we'll unfortunately do the opposite.

there are an awful lot of NFL fans who believe the way to a SB championship is by tanking the season. 

This isn't the NBA. there's no Lebron at the end of the tunnel. 

Bad teams stay bad. the Jags lose every year. High picks etc and still stink. It creates a culture of losing. 

Every win in the NFL is like gold. You don't just stop trying to win. There's no way that's gonna work. 

there are an awful lot of NFL fans who believe the way to a SB championship is by tanking the season. 

Bad teams stay bad. the Jags lose every year. High picks etc and still stink. It creates a culture of losing. 

Every win in the NFL is like gold. You don't just stop trying to win. There's no way that's gonna work. 

See my other thread about the Lions- thoughts? They tanked a lot.

Personally, im not saying tank the season for picks. Im saying there is more to be gained by starting Geno----win or lose. AT least that is definitely so after one more loss.

Its not inconclusive brother. Geno Smith wont work in this scheme. Let Geno go somewhere where he can establish a career.

Deep down the only reason why anyone would like Geno to start is because they dont want Michael Vick messing up our draft position by winning football games. Thats the truth, and I feel that. My thing is this, we have other people that we need to evaluate, such as a TE in Amaro and a WR in Harvin. Throwing Geno in will basically throw away our opportunity to see if Amaro is serviceable and if Harvin is worth keeping. I'll sacrifice the draft position if Im able to find out that we filled our TE hole and our WR1 hole.

As a side note. I like the Adams/Williams CB tandem as well. If this team starts winning football games it wont solely be because of Vick, who had like 140 yards against the Steelers. It'll be a collective effort by no name guys such as Jarrett, who just played brilliantly, along with Williams and Adams. Short term it would be great to get a high rounder, long term wise if we found a few diamonds in the rough on defense and solidified skill set positions on offense then that high round pick wont be needed because imo there's no QB this year worth a top 3 pick.

I agree with much of that. And ftr im not basing this on high draft picks. Geno smith had one game with harvin, decker was always hurt and now amaro is waking up. Just like sanchez he had no chance. Give him a chance.

Not nearly as much as #6, but he HAS showed signs. LET the kid work with harvin, healthy decker, and coming around amaro before we throw away another high qb draft pick.

Thats all im saying. There are no playoffs this year and certainly no SB.

Genos "sulking" again much like sanchez', COULD be due to the fact that a. Hes young b. He had NOBODY getting open!!

It takes TWO to complete an NFL pass and you have about 3 seconds to do so. No seperation=no completion.

A qb who obviously sux is someone like Tebow..who cant throw...Geno smith CAN play and has made some tremendous passes....he has extended plays.

Again, every qb throw picks as a rookie....especially with the receivers he has had.

Just give him a shot with harvin, decker, amaro and a strong running game.

At 2-8 it isnt his sulking that will ruin morale.

One game?

Does anyone think that Sanchez being out all last year might be helping him now?  This new NFL system of throwing rookie QB's out there vs. having them learn on the bench behind a veteran seems very hit or miss to me.  With some QB's like Luck and Wilson you hit pay dirt.  With many others like Manuel, and maybe even RGIII, Newton and Kapernick, they seem to regress.  Rodgers sat behind Favre, Brady behind Bledsoe, etc. Eli was on the bench at first behind Kurt Warner. Big Ben was a backup as well. Maybe Sanchez, who had regressed, had a chance to slow the game down by watching it for a year from the sidelines?  It could be the same for Geno, too, having a year to hold the clip board while Vick or some other veteran starts.

Does anyone think that Sanchez being out all last year might be helping him now?   

It did help but because his shoulder was hurt for years. He needed that surgery since 2011. Also he appears to have grown up a bit, that hairband BS is not conducive to being an NFL QB

Bitonti makes a good point about Vick. The only people he can help are Idzik and Rex. Woody J is freakin gullible that a few wins down the stretch might convince him to stay in hibernation and keep them both around, which will only further the agony of the fan base. Smith, I believe is done. I don't think he can be taught how to read defenses and he is highly inaccurate, but he guarantees no victories. That is a benefit in itself as Bitonti points out as Jets will get a higher draft pick. I am not in love with Mariota or Winston either, so where does that leave the Jets? Matt Moore might be pried from Miami and lets not forget the Browns will soon have to make a decision on Hoyer/Johnny football. A free agent may be the best way to go. Draft offensive linemen like Dallas did, et a FA QB and a new HC that stresses the run (David Shaw) and build from there. Without Rex and Idzik of course. 

Archived