Opinion on slide shows

Connor_J_Hughes

Fans,

Based off of some feedback, I'm working on an article looking at the 31 other NFL teams and their general managers. In particular, the success, or lack there of, in their first two seasons compared with John Idzik. For specific reasons, it will only include a record through the first 10 games of their second season. 

In order to organize the article, I was going to put it in "slideshow" format in order to separate each general manager. Rather than putting everything on one page, I figured this would be an easy way to separate each general manager and make it easy to direct between one or the other. On each page, there will be direct links to each specific general manager so there is no need to click through in order to find the one you like. Or, you can view each by clicking through. 

I wanted your opinion on that format, or if you believe fans would prefer a different means by which to have the information delivered. I know when it comes to slide shows, there is a mixed reaction. 

Thanks,
Connor

I hate them cause many are coded where you have to 'back out' to up the hit count of site

bottom line, if you are 'new' trying to 'break in' to the biz, do whatever the owner of the site prefers.... you are still at point in career where crap like that matters..

Ask the owner/editor what 'they prefer'?

Not a fan of slide shows in general, but having a table of contents page would be an improvement. Depending on how much content you have for each guy, maybe you could break it down by division rather than individual? Eight slides, rather than 32.

bottom line, if you are 'new' trying to 'break in' to the biz, do whatever the owner of the site prefers.... you are still at point in career where crap like that matters..

Ask the owner/editor what 'they prefer'?

Totally agree with SJ.  I'm not a professional writer, but over the years I found that most media honchos appreciate when young writers add images of both heterosexual and homosexual coupling.  The more graphic the better is what most seasoned news folks would tell you.  So again, best of luck.

Fans,

Based off of some feedback, I'm working on an article looking at the 31 other NFL teams and their general managers. In particular, the success, or lack there of, in their first two seasons compared with John Idzik. For specific reasons, it will only include a record through the first 10 games of their second season. 

In order to organize the article, I was going to put it in "slideshow" format in order to separate each general manager. Rather than putting everything on one page, I figured this would be an easy way to separate each general manager and make it easy to direct between one or the other. On each page, there will be direct links to each specific general manager so there is no need to click through in order to find the one you like. Or, you can view each by clicking through. 

I wanted your opinion on that format, or if you believe fans would prefer a different means by which to have the information delivered. I know when it comes to slide shows, there is a mixed reaction. 

Thanks,

Connor

Slide shows are clumsy, deter users from reading the content, and often are coded in ways that are interrupted by ads and don't allow users to move back and forth through them with ease.

You should create a single-page experience with a sticky nav on the right, the sticky nav should list each NFL team and the user can jump from one to another, or they could just choose to scroll down.

Fans,

Thanks,

Connor

I'd love to read this article, but I just can't deal with slide shows. I understand the economic need to use that format, but I wouldn't get through 31 slides of anything. I also think the slideshow is silly considering how many potential readers would be checking this out on mobile devices. No one is blowing data to read about Les Snead. The listicle is king.

Archived