" Battle for No. 1 pick : Raiders, Jags, Bucs, Jets, Titans in running " ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Draft watch : Jets hold No. 5 position

With six games remaining, the New York Jets are stumbling their way to a top draft pick. As a weekly service (i.e. something for fans to get excited about), we'll update the draft order, courtesy of the folks at ESPN Stats & Information.

Even though they didn't play last weekend, the Jets actually dropped one spot, falling to fifth because of the Tennessee Titans' loss to the Pittsburgh

Steelers on Monday night. Here you go :
W L T Pct. SOS Remaining SOS
1 Raiders 0 10 0 .000 .610 .610
2 Jaguars 1 9 0 .100 .559 .559
3 Buccaneers 2 8 0 .200 .446 .525
4 Titans 2 8 0 .200 .540 .508
5 Jets 2 8 0 .200 .575 .517

Mel Kiper's Top 5 prospects:

1. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon

2. Leonard Williams, DE, Southern Cal*

3. Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama*

4. Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska*

5. Cedric Ogbuehi, T, Texas A&M

Todd McShay's Top 5 prospects:

1. Leonard Williams, DE, Southern Cal

2. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon

3. Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska

4. Shane Ray, DE, Missouri*

5. Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama

*Underclassman

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-no-5-position

Exactly...I don't care what it takes.  Get him if we finish 2-8 or 8-8.  Make the deal to move up and grab him.  Then draft one or two more QB's with the remaining picks.

agree completely. there is zero evidence in the post-merger history of this franchise that it is capable of developing a QB. if you want to go the draft route rather than FA to find the guy, you have to increase your chances. if you happen to stumble on 2 good ones at the same time (HA!) then you trade one away for a ransom.

Draft watch : Jets hold No. 5 position

With six games remaining, the New York Jets are stumbling their way to a top draft pick. As a weekly service (i.e. something for fans to get excited about), we'll update the draft order, courtesy of the folks at ESPN Stats & Information.

Even though they didn't play last weekend, the Jets actually dropped one spot, falling to fifth because of the Tennessee Titans' loss to the Pittsburgh

Steelers on Monday night. Here you go :

W L T Pct. SOS Remaining SOS

1 Raiders 0 10 0 .000 .610 .610

2 Jaguars 1 9 0 .100 .559 .559

3 Buccaneers 2 8 0 .200 .446 .525

4 Titans 2 8 0 .200 .540 .508

5 Jets 2 8 0 .200 .575 .517

Mel Kiper's Top 5 prospects:

1. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon

2. Leonard Williams, DE, Southern Cal*

3. Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama*

4. Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska*

5. Cedric Ogbuehi, T, Texas A&M

Todd McShay's Top 5 prospects:

1. Leonard Williams, DE, Southern Cal

2. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon

3. Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska

4. Shane Ray, DE, Missouri*

5. Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama

*Underclassman

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-no-5-position

we'll end up with cedric ogbuehi,..just watch :winking0001:

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

Oak and Jax probably aren't going QB's in the first so really it's between us and TB.  May be an opportunity to trade up if we really like Marriota.

Derek Carr is terrible.  I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing.  I would not be shocked at all if Oakland picked Winston or Mariota.  Mariota they most likely will go with because he's perceived by the media and fans who know nothing as the "safe" pick.  Good.  Let Winston fall to us at 3.

agree completely. there is zero evidence in the post-merger history of this franchise that it is capable of developing a QB. if you want to go the draft route rather than FA to find the guy, you have to increase your chances. if you happen to stumble on 2 good ones at the same time (HA!) then you trade one away for a ransom.

What was the evidence that the New England friggin Patriots were able to develop a franchise qb prior to 2001? 

Tampa has even less wins than we do. They will do whatever I takes to get the Golden Boy. He can surf whenever wants. In Mariota's press conference he will make a joke about NY. Both the Devil and BB laugh.

It's very tricky to try to predict what Tampa will do.  They already have McClown who they invested money into and even though the new coach doesn't like Glennon he has shown glimpses.  Who even knows what their FO and CS even look like after this season.  If I'm Tampa I draft heavily on D and leave the offense alone I think Mike Evans is going to make whatever QB he works with look good the next several years.

Is there a franchise QB in this draft ? Or is Mariotta a guy who will put us back in the hunt for a QB in a couple of seasons IF say we draft him.

Mariota is the only potential franchise guy in this year's class, IMO. Having said that, we still need a coaching staff with the ability to develop and bring him along properly, as well as a front office devoted to putting the necessary pieces around him to succeed. We can't expect him to be that franchise guy if he's "developed" (read: ruined) by Wrecks & co.

Dude you are nuts.  Mariota is a Geno Smith clone but with better running ability.  Jameis Winston is by far the better prospect but he's not perceived as a "nice" guy so luckily for us he'll slip to us in the draft.  I just pray Idzik's stupidity doesn't prevent him from taking Winston.

What was the evidence that the New England friggin Patriots were able to develop a franchise qb prior to 2001?

And even they draft qbs almost every year--including first few rounds--despite having the problem solved with a future HOFer! Mallett (3rd round 2011), Garapolo (2nd round 2014), Kevin Oconnell (3rd round 2008) Rohan Davey (4th round 2002) thats just in first 4 rounds since Brady has been starter, lots of others in later rounds--hell pats were even rumored to be interested in tebow in 1st round which is why denver traded up. Hey thanks for proving my point!

Dude you are nuts.  Mariota is a Geno Smith clone but with better running ability.  Jameis Winston is by far the better prospect but he's not perceived as a "nice" guy so luckily for us he'll slip to us in the draft.  I just pray Idzik's stupidity doesn't prevent him from taking Winston.

If you view Winston, who is a 100% lock to bust in the pros, as the superior prospect (off-field issues aside), then you have absolutely no idea what you are watching. He is an interception throwing machine in the God-awful ACC, and can barely scrape his star-studded FSU team past some of the dregs of the FBS.

Winston will set some poor NFL team back a minimum of 3 years, and for our sake I can only pray it doesn't end up being the Jets.

Derek Carr is terrible.  I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing.  I would not be shocked at all if Oakland picked Winston or Mariota.  Mariota they most likely will go with because he's perceived by the media and fans who know nothing as the "safe" pick.  Good.  Let Winston fall to us at 3.

Hahahahha. Man you suck at evaluating qbs.

If you view Winston, who is a 100% lock to bust in the pros, as the superior prospect (off-field issues aside), then you have absolutely no idea what you are watching. He is an interception throwing machine in the God-awful ACC, and can barely scrape his star-studded FSU team past some of the dregs of the FBS.

Winston will set some poor NFL team back a minimum of 3 years, and for our sake I can only pray it doesn't end up being the Jets.

Winston  has many Jamarcus qualities, many posters here are just looking at final score. Winston and FSU should have lost to Lady Dame, the dumb Dame Wr's didn't need to block on that play. Winston got real lucky vs an average Miami team on the deflected pass on 3rd down for a TD no less.

Winston has very lazy mechanics. I think he would have a better career in baseball, except for the fact he would be on the road so much, the temptation of raping more women always lurking.

Jets should sign Locker and hope next yrs crop of QBs are better. Bryn Renner also can be used as a stopgap QB lol

#jamarcusqualities

Let's see.  Jamarcus Russell had no accuracy.  His game in college was based entirely on arm strength and the fact that LSU had basically an NFL team roster on both sides of the ball.  Winston is a way more accurate thrower.  I've seen Winston thread the needle dozens of times and he has touch on his throws - something Jamarcus never had.

Jamarcus Russell was always fat and out of shape.  Listed at 265lbs he was really 285+.  Winston is 6'3 230 and in excellent physical condition.

But hey, they're both black and play qb in the southeastern corner of the United States so if you're an ignorant Winston-hater obviously #jamarcusqualities.

Let's see.  Jamarcus Russell had no accuracy.  His game in college was based entirely on arm strength and the fact that LSU had basically an NFL team roster on both sides of the ball.  Winston is a way more accurate thrower.  I've seen Winston thread the needle dozens of times and he has touch on his throws - something Jamarcus never had.

Jamarcus Russell was always fat and out of shape.  Listed at 265lbs he was really 285+.  Winston is 6'3 230 and in excellent physical condition.

But hey, they're both black and play qb in the southeastern corner of the United States so if you're an ignorant Winston-hater obviously #jamarcusqualities.

For every laser like throw, there are 3 awful ones and remember, Shameus plays in the worst football conf in country, there are no

good Defenses in ACC, they are 1-AA like

-

Week 15: at Tennessee Titans (2-7)

It's another rookie quarterback (Zach Mettenberger) and another winnable game for the Jets. The main storyline will be former Titans star Chris Johnson, who was released last offseason. He hasn’t been shy about saying how much this game means to him. Can revenge allow him to turn back the clock?

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-have-dead-end

Do you mean the CHRIS JOHNSON will play hard for a change?

TO BE CUT SHORTLY AFTER.

Derek Carr is the truth

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I still like Carr and think he's the least of the Raiders problems. If they end up drafting #1 and take Mariota, we should look to trade them Geno + a mid-round pick for Carr. I think he has the potential to be a league average starter, which is better than we've had at the position in a long time.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I still like Carr and think he's the least of the Raiders problems. If they end up drafting #1 and take Mariota, we should look to trade them Geno + a mid-round pick for Carr. I think he has the potential to be a league average starter, which is better than we've had at the position in a long time.

I was being serious. I had a man-crush on Carr for the last two years, similar to the one I had on his older brother, for which I am still mocked relentlessly. 

I was being serious. I had a man-crush on Carr for the last two years, similar to the one I had on his older brother, for which I am still mocked relentlessly. 

Yeah Carr looks good. Funny thing was, most people on here were hating on the kid after the USC game. Their looking pretty dumb now.

Just wanted to quote this post again in honor of Carr beating the Chiefs. Will also likely bump this post again when Mariota starts shredding defenses in the NFL.

Archived