2014/15 NY Rangers

I thought it was over after that onslaught in the 3rd period and then in overtime when it didn't leave ten feet of the Ranger's crease for a solid minute. Such a great playoffs so far. 

That was excruciating, but it ended up almost like a rope-a-dope.  At one point, the onslaught only ended when the Caps had to have a line change because the one on the ice was gassed from the relentless attack.  

I think the Rangers scored about a shift or two after when the Caps iced it.  

Also, this team is incredibly resilient.  They got murdered on the faceoffs during regulation, but in OT they won 6 out of 7.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Pens are having so much trouble getting out of their zone because they're missing their puck moving defensemen Letang, Maatta, Erhoff, and Pouliot. Fleury is the only one putting in a full 60 each

Man I wish the pens were healthy. Good luck Rangers. You're going to need it.

Another Knicks blowout and the a$$hole Patriots win. I need some good mojo from the Rangers tonight. They are all I have right now. Congrats to Nash on the All-Star selection. The g

Thanks!

It's great seeing it again.  After I came home from the bar at about 12:30 I had to go on NHL.com to see the highlights and rewatch it.

Holtby was really helpless on that last play.  Girardi's shot went low so he had to do the split and then there was no chance to block the rebound shot by Stepan.

It was a thing of beauty.

Stepan took the faceoff and the puck came back to Yandle, who put it on a tee for Girardi.

Girardi's one-timer forced Holtby down, and while he was on his ass, the rebound came right on to Stepan's stick.

He didn't rush it, and didn't miss. It was great how the rebound came right on his tape for the clinching shot.

LOVE IT!

The announcers mentioned that the Rangers call the most plays on faceoffs in the NHL and this was another instance as you mention, JC.

Stepan took the faceoff, Fast pinched to get the puck while Kreider slid to the right side of the net and Stepan slid to the left circle.  Once Yandle got the puck, Kreider rolled to the net to screen Hotlby right as Girardi is shooting.  It was perfect timing because it amounted to a double screen with Fast forcing his way to the center about 5 feet in front of the screening Kreider, but just to his right.

In hindsight, it was amazing that Holtby blocked Girardi's one-timer because right as Girardi is shooting Holtby has 4 players in front of him (Kreider and 3 Caps with Fast nearby).  Holtby's block was all instinct and that's why I think he sold out on the play, which was a great block.

Luckily there was the nice rebound to Stepan and he didn't miss.  We've seen guys miss before in these situations and I think Stepan missed a similar opportunity in the Penguins series.  But not this time.  Bring on the Bolts!

• Upvote 2

At least today isn't an elimination game.

Games 5,6,and 7 against the caps, I was emotionally preparing myself that it could be the last game of the Rangers' great season.

I am ready for the next series.

Gotta give props to coach AV, who has taken the team to the ECF both years he has been the coach.

But he hasn't been as good as Holtby this postseason or during the regular season.  Holtby and Hank have bested Bishop in every category this postseason.

Don't get me wrong, Bishop is good, but he's not going to be a wall like Holtby was.

Historically he's been a wall against the Rangers.

Historically he's been a wall against the Rangers.

Not enough to win game 1.

15 straight 1 goal playoff games. This is the 7th game this postseason they've won 2-1.

Not enough to win game 1.

15 straight 1 goal playoff games. This is the 7th game this postseason they've won 2-1.

Crazy streak. It dates back to games 4 and 5 last year vs the kings.

2-1 games are becoming this team's signature.

• Upvote 1

I was listening to the ESPN radio pre-game show on Saturday and one the hockey analysts who picks Rangers to beat Caps in 7 made the surprising prediction that the Rangers would beat Tampa in 5.  His reasoning was that both teams rely on speed, but Rangers are better at D and will keep it low scoring, which the Bolts are not built to win.

I kept that in the back of my mind and Game 1 played out like that.  Will see if it holds up the rest of the series.  Frankly, I don't know if it's a good thing, but I'm not nervous about tonight's game and I haven't felt like that all postseason.

I'm always worried about the heavy teams physically imposing themselves on the Rangers and the Lightning are simply not that type of team.

• Upvote 1

I was listening to the ESPN radio pre-game show on Saturday and one the hockey analysts who picks Rangers to beat Caps in 7 made the surprising prediction that the Rangers would beat Tampa in 5. His reasoning was that both teams rely on speed, but Rangers are better at D and will keep it low scoring, which the Bolts are not built to win.

I kept that in the back of my mind and Game 1 played out like that. Will see if it holds up the rest of the series. Frankly, I don't know if it's a good thing, but I'm not nervous about tonight's game and I haven't felt like that all postseason.

I'm always worried about the heavy teams physically imposing themselves on the Rangers and the Lightning are simply not that type of team.

Welp

AV needs to limit St. Louis ice time because he's a liability out there. Ridiculous he gives a 5-3 shorthanded goal. Having him and Boyle on the ice at the same time makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

Very big game tonight for the Rangers. They need to stay out of the penalty box and get the jump on Tampa Bay early.

It looks like Tampa has been going glove side high on Lundqvist so it will be interesting to see if he adjusts.

Stupidest thing I have heard in the entire playoffs. The NBC color guy saying in game 3 that Rick Nash "should be less physical"

That oversized (p-word for a cat) avoids contact like the plague. His soft sorry ass should be running somebody over to crash the net!

In 2 games, Lundquist gave up a goal for each of the Twelve Tribes of Israel.  He needs some divine intervention to get himself straight.

That OT goal was horrendous.  

In 2 games, Lundquist gave up a goal for each of the Twelve Tribes of Israel.  He needs some divine intervention to get himself straight.

That OT goal was horrendous.

Not sure what's worse on the play-Girardi backing up for almost 50 feet instead of playing the body or Lundquist fanning his waffle as the puck found the net. There should not have beena shot, nor should it have gone in.
  • Upvote 1