John Idzik GM comparison two years in

Connor_J_Hughes

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting stuff, Connor. I think what can be deduced here is that two years on the job reveals very little about the long-term viability of any new GM if you're using the team's record as a barometer. The most successful new GMs either inherited or immediately acquired a big QB (with the exception of the Chiefs). The rest of them are in a position where they have to draft one, while finding the head coach that can create an environment that brings that player along. Tough business.

He inherited a very Poor roster, got rid of the obvious trash we had, and cleared money from our poor overpriced dross Sanchez, Holmes. He traded Revis (Woody decision). Had one major Hit in the Draft, Richardson, more luck then management. Then in Year two had one of the worst Drafts I've seen kept all 12 picks never traded up for the numerous top Receiver prospects, in a mega stacked Drafted.

His real down fall was rounds 3 and 4, Dexter McDougle, Mr Injury, and a guy what would have been around later in the Draft, and the selection of Jalen Saunders, was just mind blowing. He seems to be a complete Woody yes man and even the Harvin thing smacks of Woody.

It almost makes me crave the return of Trader Mike, we should be drafting top Ten (please), and do we trust him to pick our next Q.B? - Not me, We need some more Ugly Beat Downs loses, to push that Numb Skull Woody into Firing both, so we can start fresh. I was with Idizik up to that Press Conference, and the Babble Bull Sh*t told me the guy is a yes man, and has no Balls, he's just a Woody stooge the guy is clueless. The guy got a very poor talent wise Roster, and has not managed to improve it at all, which was difficult considering outside the D-Line this teams is average in some places, and Burger Flipper Street player bad in others.

It's only difficult to come to a conclusion on Idzik if, for some difficult to identify psychological reason, you're refusing to come to the conclusion that the guy is in way over his head as a GM.

The evidence that he's in over his head is thus:

1. He agreed to take the job with Rex Ryan attached to it.

2. He kept Rex Ryan for the 2014 season.

3. He let Rex Ryan pick Tajh Boyd.

4. Jalen Saunders.

5. Dmitri Patterson and Mike Goodson.

4. Jalen Saunders.

You are coming around

Add Calvin Pryor and Shaq Evans as well

Missing on about 15 Wr's

4. Jalen Saunders.

6. His 3.125 wins/season average so far over a span of 26 games. When he gets two full seasons under his belt you will have the minimum sample of work necessary to make statistically valid future assumptions of team's success under his control.

6. His 3.125 wins/season average so far over a span of 26 games. When he gets two full seasons under his belt you will have the minimum sample of work necessary to make statistically valid future assumptions of team's success under his control.

Is Jerry Reese a great GM?

4. Jalen Saunders.

So basically what you're saying is..he's in over head because..

1) He took a job with a bad owner?

2) He took a job with a bad owner?

3) He made a bad pick in the 6th round

4) He missed on a 4th round WR

5) Cheap FA's that didn't pan out...

The one thing you don't mention is the Harvin move - that was, by far, the worst thing he did...but again, I'm absolutely convinced it was a woody move.  

Woody may very well be the worst owner in the NFL.

So basically what you're saying is..he's in over head because..

1) He took a job with a bad owner?

2) He took a job with a bad owner?

3) He made a bad pick in the 6th round

4) He missed on a 4th round WR

5) Cheap FA's that didn't pan out...

The one thing you don't mention is the Harvin move - that was, by far, the worst thing he did...but again, I'm absolutely convinced it was a woody move.

Woody may very well be the worst owner in the NFL.

Yes, but I like the Harvin move. Low risk.

4. Jalen Saunders.

you dont think picking Geno in his 1st year and force feeding him was not a colosal mistake.  Considering the holes in OL and no offensive weapons keeping any team from stacking the box.  Considering it usually takes WR 2-3 to develop ... he did not address it at all.  Instead he gambled with yours and mine Sundays.  He gambled on

Geno

Woodson

Ivory

Milliner

Richardson

and 3 OL (4 if u count FA) all late round scrubs that were not going to lite it up day 1

of all that Ivory worked out but he is not a feature back and still has injury history and runs hot and cold

Richardson worked out but the team could have been more competative with some Offensive help

Milliner has not worked out at all and chances are now he may never - Revis can come back from something like that because he has the work ethic...Milliner he has a 25% chance making it back ditto for that 3rd round reach of last year.

And I am only getting into his 1st year.

What I find pretty sad is that our fanbase is defending this idiot we hired two years ago while Giants fans are sick of the last couple seasons and are talking about firing Reese whose responsible for putting together SB champ teams that win every 3 years. That's the difference in mentality in a fanbase that is used to losing and a fanbase that won't tolerate it.

you dont think picking Geno in his 1st year and force feeding him was not a colosal mistake. Considering the holes in OL and no offensive weapons keeping any team from stacking the box. Considering it usually takes WR 2-3 to develop ... he did not address it at all. Instead he gambled with yours and mine Sundays. He gambled on

Geno

Woodson

Ivory

Milliner

Richardson

and 3 OL (4 if u count FA) all late round scrubs that were not going to lite it up day 1

of all that Ivory worked out but he is not a feature back and still has injury history and runs hot and cold

Richardson worked out but the team could have been more competative with some Offensive help

Milliner has not worked out at all and chances are now he may never - Revis can come back from something like that because he has the work ethic...Milliner he has a 25% chance making it back ditto for that 3rd round reach of last year.

And I am only getting into his 1st year.

Geno washed out like Sanchez washed out, but Geno was the best player on the board at a position of great need.

What I find pretty sad is that our fanbase is defending this idiot we hired two years ago while Giants fans are sick of the last couple seasons and are talking about firing Reese whose responsible for putting together SB champ teams that win every 3 years. That's the difference in mentality in a fanbase that is used to losing and a fanbase that won't tolerate it.

The Giants were winning titles every five years or so before Reese got there. I think Reese is a good GM, but he's got a ton of misses on his resume. All GMs do. That team sucks.

The Giants were winning titles every five years or so before Reese got there. I think Reese is a good GM, but he's got a ton of misses on his resume. All GMs do. That team sucks.

We win once every 50 years. I think we both are in agreement now that it's time for Idzik to pack up.

We win once every 50 years. I think we both are in agreement now that it's time for Idzik to pack up.

I definitely don't think firing Idzik is the right move, unless it's part of some package deal which results in us getting a Parcells-type overseer plus a big head coach, which isn't happening.

Unless you were planning on signing Peyton Manning next offseason, you weren't getting close to spending to the cap. It's a worthy gamble

You say gamble like there was an upside...What was the upside?  I saw a no-win situation...

If they made the trade at the beginning of the year and or if they had a legit shot at a playoff run I would be all for it, but under the circumstances the ONLY reason for a move like that was PR....and any team that runs their organization based upon what the media wants will ALWAYS be a terrible organization.

Geno washed out like Sanchez washed out, but Geno was the best player on the board at a position of great need.

Well reality has shown he was not BPA but even at the time why was every other team passing on him?  Buffalo took a projected 5th rounder over him.  Then as we all watch the drama of him almost losing his sh*t on TV, firing his agent..this all from casual observer...idziot met with on a number of occasions I bet, they had extensive interviews etc...tryouts....he had all the inside info..you state him as a value pick from mock drafts...lol

I definitely don't think firing Idzik is the right move, unless it's part of some package deal which results in us getting a Parcells-type overseer plus a big head coach, which isn't happening.

We're in a agreement here.  Unless they're getting a big time, experienced, championship GM OR a Harbaugh type and have to give him full control - you don't fire a GM after year two of a rebuild project, especially when year one was all about getting out of cap hell...

I really think it would be insanity to give an unproven guy with a .300 winning percentage a third year. That's a SOJ move.

You say gamble like there was an upside...What was the upside? I saw a no-win situation...

If they made the trade at the beginning of the year and or if they had a legit shot at a playoff run I would be all for it, but under the circumstances the ONLY reason for a move like that was PR....and any team that runs their organization based upon what the media wants will ALWAYS be a terrible organization.

Harvin is an extremely talented young player that they just picked up for a mid-round pick, and whom they have some leverage with. The upside is great, if he likes NY and gets his head together even a little bit. The downside is that he's cut, you lose a 6th, and you have 43+ million in cap space. If there's one thing that's clear, it's that John Idzik doesn't give a rat's ass what the fanbase thinks about him.

Archived