What happened to jets insider : MERGED

flgreen

$19,000 is a fun figure, but last time I checked on one of the numerous online website valuation calculators it was worth around $36,000 and generated daily ad revenue of $26.35. My guess, completely a guess, is that since it was purchased by a company with strong buying power and its own architecture, JI would have sold for far less than the $36,000. $19,000 is conjecture, but I think it's actually pretty good conjecture.

You did good, but it wasn't because you said 'no' to Scout. You're running a clean forum, you're not letting a group of 5 morons poison the place. Whether its well moderated or just attracts a more mature audience, the reason JN is here and JI isn't is because JI was neglected by its owner and he didn't see the signs or, frankly, pay any attention to the Landing Strip. If I owned a discussion forum, I'd be an anonymous poster and participate, get an understanding of what's going on. For years Sean got it wrong because he didn't participate. Not sure why, but he wasn't paying any attention to something he owned and was having some success with, didn't understand that he only had one decent moderator along with a bunch of goofballs.

Point being, JI died a few years ago. Truthfully, I don't think Sean realized this. I think he just got lucky and got out at the last moment. Everyone else who posted there knew it was over.

SAR I

Those online monetization things are completely bogus.  Sean did a much better job of monetizing ji than we have done here. I would bet a lot of money that his ad revenue before the move was more than $26.35.  We bring in enough money here to pay for the $500 - 600 or so a month it costs to keep the place running.

Thanks for the compliments though.   :)

• Upvote 1

You won, you are now supreme allied commander of all Jets forums. I bow in your presence and am kneeling on my knees with my head down and ass up with cheeks spread for the bond of obedience.

I am your loyal servant

I used to love this parody account. Until you posted that. Holy jumping the shark.

I wonder how much Bob the Jets Fan™ 's old geocities website and home of the legendary warper sold for when it was bought out by yahoo in 2009? and Pats fan stuck in Kansas hell had a geocities site too lol they must be rich!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome.  I heard Bob got $22,000 just for the rights to the warper.

Those online monetization things are completely bogus.  Sean did a much better job of monetizing ji than we have done here. I would bet a lot of money that his ad revenue before the move was more than $26.35.  We bring in enough money here to pay for the $500 - 600 or so a month it costs to keep the place running.

Thanks for the compliments though.   :)

Fair enough, surely you know more about the finances than I do.

Thing is, whatever he did to build himself a business and a Bill Parcells 10 point lead at halftime turned into a 20 point Rex Ryan collapse at the end. Whether he got $16,000 or $36,000 or $90,000 he would have made a whole lot more had he taken his own site seriously. Either way, it's gone now, proof-positive how quickly a business can collapse. Scout didn't buy a the high, but boy are they going to take a bath now. I have a funny feeling they didn't pay ol' Sean just yet and I hope he has some good attorney's lined up in case things get ugly.

SAR I

$19,000 is a fun figure, but last time I checked on one of the numerous online website valuation calculators it was worth around $36,000 and generated daily ad revenue of $26.35. My guess, completely a guess, is that since it was purchased by a company with strong buying power and its own architecture, JI would have sold for far less than the $36,000. $19,000 is conjecture, but I think it's actually pretty good conjecture.

You did good, but it wasn't because you said 'no' to Scout. You're running a clean forum, you're not letting a group of 5 morons poison the place. Whether its well moderated or just attracts a more mature audience, the reason JN is here and JI isn't is because JI was neglected by its owner and he didn't see the signs or, frankly, pay any attention to the Landing Strip. If I owned a discussion forum, I'd be an anonymous poster and participate, get an understanding of what's going on. For years Sean got it wrong because he didn't participate. Not sure why, but he wasn't paying any attention to something he owned and was having some success with, didn't understand that he only had one decent moderator along with a bunch of goofballs.

Point being, JI died a few years ago. Truthfully, I don't think Sean realized this. I think he just got lucky and got out at the last moment. Everyone else who posted there knew it was over.

SAR I

I imagine he outgrew the messageboard thing or lost interest after 15 years. Family life had to figure in there too somewhere. 

He's been recovering from hip surgery, in case nobody mentioned it.   

Warfish - someday we are going to have a little talk about SEO.  When you type, "what happened to Jets Insider" into google, JetNation is one page one.

Call it a hunch, but I think some people will be typing that in.   :)

/shrug

Silly threads like this will only serve to drive JI'ers who were not bitter and hateful towards Sean away from a site seemingly obsessed, endlessly, with the site that spawned it.

But by all means, have at it.  We wouldn't want to stifle the freedom of folks to talk sh*t and and act like spurned three year olds, right?

Maybe SAR is right, maybe JN IS the perfect site and community for him.

/shrug

Silly threads like this will only serve to drive JI'ers who were not bitter and hateful towards Sean away from a site seemingly obsessed, endlessly, with the site that spawned it.

But by all means, have at it.  We wouldn't want to stifle the freedom of folks to talk sh*t and and act like spurned three year olds, right?

Maybe SAR is right, maybe JN IS the perfect site and community for him.

Wow. I am surprised by this reaction.  I disagree with your thoughts. I don't see anything wrong going on in this thread.

For 10 years we were *********.com.  They moved their site like 3 days ago, lol. I think this is still a relevant topic.  Nobody is blasting any of the posters of JI. 

• Upvote 2

Fair enough, surely you know more about the finances than I do.

Thing is, whatever he did to build himself a business and a Bill Parcells 10 point lead at halftime turned into a 20 point Rex Ryan collapse at the end. Whether he got $16,000 or $36,000 or $90,000 he would have made a whole lot more had he taken his own site seriously. Either way, it's gone now, proof-positive how quickly a business can collapse. Scout didn't buy a the high, but boy are they going to take a bath now. I have a funny feeling they didn't pay ol' Sean just yet and I hope he has some good attorney's lined up in case things get ugly.

SAR I

Totally, totally, totally agree with this. Which is why I walked away from what they offered without digging deeper.

Years ago we partnered with USA Today. I flew out to Vegas for this big summit. They had Dana White from the UFC scheduled as a speaker. Top people from ESPN joined the USA Today team. It was a similar pitch that Scout gave. Except USA Today crumbled. It isn't as easy as they all make it sound -- building the largest sports site in the world.  They all approach it the same way, partner with sites, get their comscores (basically the sites sign their traffic over to them for reporting purposes).  Then they report on all 300 sites that the "partner" with or own.  That is what Scout is doing....but since they are making the forum smaller, not bigger, I agree with what you said - they are actually decreasing value.

I imagine he outgrew the messageboard thing or lost interest after 15 years. Family life had to figure in there too somewhere. 

He's been recovering from hip surgery, in case nobody mentioned it.   

I saw him post a picture about the hip surgery but I was on his board as a guest so the picture didn't come up. I do hope he is okay, not sure what happened. But hopefully everything is alright.

And losing interest after 15 years would totally be understandable. Having Scout run all the servers and having extra marketing resources does sound appealing.  I know (and I have mentioned this before) that when I went to meet with them it was in the middle of my wife's chemotherapy.  And I actually had one of those moments where you look in the mirror and say, do I want to do this anymore? The answer for me was a 100% YES, I couldn't imagine not having this.

The site doesn't cause me stress and is a great source of pride. They were offering money and that sounds good. But this was never about the money so that part didn't really matter. What mattered was retaining total control and not having to answer to anyone. :)

Totally, totally, totally agree with this. Which is why I walked away from what they offered without digging deeper.

Years ago we partnered with USA Today. I flew out to Vegas for this big summit. They had Dana White from the UFC scheduled as a speaker. Top people from ESPN joined the USA Today team. It was a similar pitch that Scout gave. Except USA Today crumbled. It isn't as easy as they all make it sound -- building the largest sports site in the world.  They all approach it the same way, partner with sites, get their comscores (basically the sites sign their traffic over to them for reporting purposes).  Then they report on all 300 sites that the "partner" with or own.  That is what Scout is doing....but since they are making the forum smaller, not bigger, I agree with what you said - they are actually decreasing value.

Not only that, but in case they didn't notice the action is on these smaller homebrew platforms and not on national ones.

Think of AM sports radio. Like you I bet, I was there at the beginning of the FAN back in '87 and despite the medium moving and morphing into other things, the national shows mean nothing. We want to hear about the NY local teams, no one cares about the Bulls or the Canucks in this town or any other market. We want to hear about our teams as we drive to work, not everyone else's.

Same for discussion forums. We want to talk Jets with Jets fans, having our forums "connect" with a larger NFL universe serves no purpose. And all this talk about "video" content? Another hairbrained idea because if we wanted video we can find it everywhere, in fact we're oversaturated with it, use forums to run away from it. Blogging, Podcasts, all this extra-curricular stuff doesn't matter. So what Scout forgets to focus on- the UI- turns out to be what's important to fans and there's no one home. And what they focus on isn't what anyone needs.

Now that's just the consumer-side of the equation. The business-side, well, the suits get together and they see a bunch of hack-amateurs running fan sites who have all these registered members and they think that everyone's stupid and that forum owners can be had on the cheap and that a little SEO and SEM and clickbaiting and the creation of these huge faux 'networks' will drive up ad revenues and that their userbases can't see what's-what. Oops.

SAR I

SAR I

Im curious? Were you a moron when you asked an underage  boy sblll for a picture of his testicle for a tape of the colts jets playoff game? Just curious. 

None of these media types spewing their marketing buzzwords actually understand the "fanatic/enthusiast" market, the people who spend hours a day every day online devoted to a specific topic. They think it is all about the content, but it isn't, for a number of reasons. First, the stories are all the same bull$hit, available everywhere and everyone is just writing the same crap. Second, people aren't just looking to read stories, they want an experience custom or tailored to them, where they can interact. For example, I have an interest in cooking/bbq, enough of an interest that I spend a good part of my day researching and interacting with others about the subject. I may stop by an informational site like seriouseats.com once every day or two, but I spend considerably more time at a particular messageboard that has a ton of searchable knowledge for me to look through, a way for me to post questions on things I need answers to, and most importantly somewhere for me to show my knowledge to the world and show off some of the stuff I do, because really, vanity and making ourselves out to be the center of the world is the human nature behind the popularity of social networking. THAT is the key to the fanatic/enthusiast market.

None of these media types spewing their marketing buzzwords actually understand the "fanatic/enthusiast" market, the people who spend hours a day every day online devoted to a specific topic. They think it is all about the content, but it isn't, for a number of reasons. First, the stories are all the same bull$hit, available everywhere and everyone is just writing the same crap. Second, people aren't just looking to read stories, they want an experience custom or tailored to them, where they can interact. For example, I have an interest in cooking/bbq, enough of an interest that I spend a good part of my day researching and interacting with others about the subject. I may stop by an informational site like seriouseats.com once every day or two, but I spend considerably more time at a particular messageboard that has a ton of searchable knowledge for me to look through, a way for me to post questions on things I need answers to, and most importantly somewhere for me to show my knowledge to the world and show off some of the stuff I do, because really, vanity and making ourselves out to be the center of the world is the human nature behind the popularity of social networking. THAT is the key to the fanatic/enthusiast market.

It is a good point because here we view things as completely different. Our content (front page) feeds Facebook \ Twitter etc. But we know anything we wrote on the front page, the group in the forum, they know it already.  

Not only that, but in case they didn't notice the action is on these smaller homebrew platforms and not on national ones.

Think of AM sports radio. Like you I bet, I was there at the beginning of the FAN back in '87 and despite the medium moving and morphing into other things, the national shows mean nothing. We want to hear about the NY local teams, no one cares about the Bulls or the Canucks in this town or any other market. We want to hear about our teams as we drive to work, not everyone else's.

Same for discussion forums. We want to talk Jets with Jets fans, having our forums "connect" with a larger NFL universe serves no purpose. And all this talk about "video" content? Another hairbrained idea because if we wanted video we can find it everywhere, in fact we're oversaturated with it, use forums to run away from it. Blogging, Podcasts, all this extra-curricular stuff doesn't matter. So what Scout forgets to focus on- the UI- turns out to be what's important to fans and there's no one home. And what they focus on isn't what anyone needs.

Now that's just the consumer-side of the equation. The business-side, well, the suits get together and they see a bunch of hack-amateurs running fan sites who have all these registered members and they think that everyone's stupid and that forum owners can be had on the cheap and that a little SEO and SEM and clickbaiting and the creation of these huge faux 'networks' will drive up ad revenues and that their userbases can't see what's-what. Oops.

SAR I

They want video because they say they are going to get $15 eCPM for it. But it is a lot harder to get a video watched 1,000 times than it is to get an article read 1,000 times.  Don't ask me how I know. :)

I really agree with this idea.  I don't think a lot of these forums or blogs actually thrive because of the main stream content they provide, but because how the content is tailor made to the people of the community.  It's the things that you can't get elsewhere that helps the blogs/forums thrive.  A sense of community helps as well, which is what I think is going wrong with JI because the community is being breached (on both ends at scout or from JI's perspective) so people no longer have ties left, besides some favorite posters or people that they knew to be knowledgeable.  I think JI's merger would've gone a lot better, had the platform stayed the same, and it was Scout's posters that were assimilating to JI, because the majority of the people aren't really changing anything, but welcoming new posters onboard.  The problem that is happening now is that the majority is actually giving the minority the upper hand in terms of keeping their domain, and that creates more problems with egos.   

And with a lot of folks that are trying to consolidate these forums or start new websites, they see too much of the Utopian view, where they are going toe to toe with ESPN or any other major sport site.  I used to write for a website, really smart guy, I believe two brothers who were lawyers, and they wanted an all inclusive sports website.  Hired a really good web designer (website actually looked halfway decent for something that was starting out) and tried to get fans of teams to write for them at the start with the promise that they would pay later when they hit it big.  Started out great (covering baseball) but the guy kept insisting that pretty much every game needed a recap section that covered x, y, and z.  It wasn't a humor based site, so it wasn't like I could do anything creative with the recaps, and for baseball it's insanely mundane to recap all 162 games, when people not only have established sites and blogs, but two minute video highlights available as well that we can't provide.  You have to give them something that isn't available widely to people, and at the time, I came with a few things that didn't exist on any of the Yankee blogs I followed, such as pitcher previews for upcoming series with a stat breakdown and scouting reports (which later got adopted by RAB).  Using saber metrics more into analysis (which hadn't quite taken off back then, although it was certainly starting to), and trying to mix fantasy baseball into the previews because that had definitely taken off.   But it always came back to these recaps that needed to be done, which took too much time (mainly because I had to spend extra time watching these games to make sure I didn't miss anything).  And eventually, had to walk away because these recaps were the main focus (and law school of my own took too much time for me to watch 162 games) instead of trying to establish something where people can follow you, and then starting to compliment it with stuff so they slowly tread away from other websites, instead of one initial push.   So in a roundabout way, Scout essentially is doing the same thing with the platform changed.  Had they just kept JI where it was, forced the scout board to join JI, and then eventually move to an updated board unilaterally, they would've been much better off.   

Sooth sent us this link http://www.adweek.com/news/press/ceo-building-yahoo-men-160393 when someone asked what his vision was for JI moving forward and thats when I knew it was truly over.

I read that link a couple of weeks back and I thought to myself - it's a vision, sure, but not one that does anything for me. I don't care about college football, I don't follow any other American sports, and I am not in the least bit interested in hunting or fishing (which seemed to get a lot of focus in the vision of "Yahoo for Men").

IMHO, the more you push for a generic "something for everyone", the more you get away from "everything for someone". At JI, I got all the Jets news I wanted to read on the one forum (rather than having to go round all the different sports sites); I got some very good football insight (thinking more of the technicalities of the game, schemes and tactics etc); you could get the BEST reviews of training camp you could hope for, and all year round you could talk football with like-minded people (and a few complete nut-jobs  :winking0001: ). It was everything I needed to follow the Jets year round, and as someone living in the UK, where (American) football is very much a minority sport, it was the only way I could get my "fix". In short, it was "everything" for me.

I've only been here at JN a few weeks now, but it seems that I'll not miss a beat on the 365-days-a-year Jets coverage that I was used to, based on what I've seen so far, how many of the good JI posters are posting over here, and the fact that the board is not like something from 1991.

All i need to do is find out how to switch off avatars and signatures so i can still browse safely while at work.  :sign0163:

• Upvote 1

For the true fans, the community and posting experience is what we want. I skip most of the articles and videos on forums. I can go to ESPN, sports illustrated, or the jets website if I want that stuff. That's where Sean miscalculated. He kept saying how there will be videos and stories via on scout and touting that. In reality, we don't care about that stuff. We just want an enjoyable place to post with (semi?)-knowledgable posters and good discussion about our favorite team. Thanks for this site Max!

• Upvote 3

For the true fans, the community and posting experience is what we want. I skip most of the articles and videos on forums. I can go to ESPN, sports illustrated, or the jets website if I want that stuff. That's where Sean miscalculated. He kept saying how there will be videos and stories via on scout and touting that. In reality, we don't care about that stuff. We just want an enjoyable place to post with (semi?)-knowledgable posters and good discussion about our favorite team. Thanks for this site Max!

How is wanting to participate in the community a delineation for identifying a "true fan"? I get what you're saying, but I don't think this part is phrased right. I'm a true fan, and I value both. Perhaps it's just that Sean miscalculated what his users wanted, period. Has nothing to do with how big a fan of the team we all are.

I really agree with this idea.  I don't think a lot of these forums or blogs actually thrive because of the main stream content they provide, but because how the content is tailor made to the people of the community.  It's the things that you can't get elsewhere that helps the blogs/forums thrive.  A sense of community helps as well, which is what I think is going wrong with JI because the community is being breached (on both ends at scout or from JI's perspective) so people no longer have ties left, besides some favorite posters or people that they knew to be knowledgeable.  I think JI's merger would've gone a lot better, had the platform stayed the same, and it was Scout's posters that were assimilating to JI, because the majority of the people aren't really changing anything, but welcoming new posters onboard.  The problem that is happening now is that the majority is actually giving the minority the upper hand in terms of keeping their domain, and that creates more problems with egos.   

And with a lot of folks that are trying to consolidate these forums or start new websites, they see too much of the Utopian view, where they are going toe to toe with ESPN or any other major sport site.  I used to write for a website, really smart guy, I believe two brothers who were lawyers, and they wanted an all inclusive sports website.  Hired a really good web designer (website actually looked halfway decent for something that was starting out) and tried to get fans of teams to write for them at the start with the promise that they would pay later when they hit it big.  Started out great (covering baseball) but the guy kept insisting that pretty much every game needed a recap section that covered x, y, and z.  It wasn't a humor based site, so it wasn't like I could do anything creative with the recaps, and for baseball it's insanely mundane to recap all 162 games, when people not only have established sites and blogs, but two minute video highlights available as well that we can't provide.  You have to give them something that isn't available widely to people, and at the time, I came with a few things that didn't exist on any of the Yankee blogs I followed, such as pitcher previews for upcoming series with a stat breakdown and scouting reports (which later got adopted by RAB).  Using saber metrics more into analysis (which hadn't quite taken off back then, although it was certainly starting to), and trying to mix fantasy baseball into the previews because that had definitely taken off.   But it always came back to these recaps that needed to be done, which took too much time (mainly because I had to spend extra time watching these games to make sure I didn't miss anything).  And eventually, had to walk away because these recaps were the main focus (and law school of my own took too much time for me to watch 162 games) instead of trying to establish something where people can follow you, and then starting to compliment it with stuff so they slowly tread away from other websites, instead of one initial push.   So in a roundabout way, Scout essentially is doing the same thing with the platform changed.  Had they just kept JI where it was, forced the scout board to join JI, and then eventually move to an updated board unilaterally, they would've been much better off.   

I think most of these big sites were blindsided by the success of Bleacher Report which basically took  bunch of junk, threw it together in one spot, and it took off. SBnation was the second to do it but with higher quality content. Now everyone is trying to catch up by doing the same and finding ways to grab sites, writers, etc... to build these huge platforms with tons of content. BR is much better now and I dont think they do the same slideshow formats but the traffic they have really is ridiculous. The few times Ive had things show up there the amount of traffic that comes my way is outrageous. 

I think the thing with Scout or simiar entities is that there is, as you say, a need to keep the sites tailored to the hardcore fanbase. Those are really the people that keep sites like this going. Others come and go and add to it but its the niche audience that makes it unique. Once you lose that I think you become no different than the billion other news oulets out there and lets be honest--- the reason people ended up at sites like JN,, JI, TJB, etc... is because they wanted more than what they got from the Daily News and to talk about sports more than just during Happy Hour with your buddies on Friday night. 

Once you lose that you lose the unique nature of the site and the real driving force of it. JI had probably already begun to lose that as the level of discussion really seemed to really fall down whenever I would check it out. Id imagine that is a big reason why the driving forces of the forums wanted no part of Scout. It was pretty much an admission that the direction they wanted to go in was to simply drive traffic at the expense of the experience people grew accustomed to. Nothing wrong with that but I just find it hard to believe that such massive sites will work long term, at least at the level the Scout people are likely expecting.  

I think most of these big sites were blindsided by the success of Bleacher Report which basically took  bunch of junk, threw it together in one spot, and it took off. SBnation was the second to do it but with higher quality content. Now everyone is trying to catch up by doing the same and finding ways to grab sites, writers, etc... to build these huge platforms with tons of content. BR is much better now and I dont think they do the same slideshow formats but the traffic they have really is ridiculous. The few times Ive had things show up there the amount of traffic that comes my way is outrageous. 

I think the thing with Scout or simiar entities is that there is, as you say, a need to keep the sites tailored to the hardcore fanbase. Those are really the people that keep sites like this going. Others come and go and add to it but its the niche audience that makes it unique. Once you lose that I think you become no different than the billion other news oulets out there and lets be honest--- the reason people ended up at sites like JN,, JI, TJB, etc... is because they wanted more than what they got from the Daily News and to talk about sports more than just during Happy Hour with your buddies on Friday night. 

Once you lose that you lose the unique nature of the site and the real driving force of it. JI had probably already begun to lose that as the level of discussion really seemed to really fall down whenever I would check it out. Id imagine that is a big reason why the driving forces of the forums wanted no part of Scout. It was pretty much an admission that the direction they wanted to go in was to simply drive traffic at the expense of the experience people grew accustomed to. Nothing wrong with that but I just find it hard to believe that such massive sites will work long term, at least at the level the Scout people are likely expecting.  

I agree 100%.

At the USA Today Publisher Summit a few years ago they talked about how they were going to surpass even FOX Sports and ESPN as the top sports sites. Easier said than done apparently.

I gave Scout another brief look the last couple of days but the tag team combo of HYATT and Jet Repulsive pretty much makes it a lost cause

BTW unless you log out, your user ID stays active as part of the over inflated number of 230 or so users online. I reduced that number by 1 before I left today.

jason you are spot on. i would not be surprised if your career was in the sports field. is it?

I gave Scout another brief look the last couple of days but the tag team combo of HYATT and Jet Repulsive pretty much makes it a lost cause

BTW unless you log out, your user ID stays active as part of the over inflated number of 230 or so users online. I reduced that number by 1 before I left today.

I think Jet Repulsion is one of the better posters over there. 

• Upvote 1

HYATT is harmless and keeps a good attitude. He's part of the solution not the problem.

Posters that register just to piss on the place and say they're diehard Jets fans and longtime JI "lurkers" are absolutely worthless.

Who the f' needs lurkers that are all take and no give? F 'em.

HYATT is harmless and keeps a good attitude. He's part of the solution not the problem.

Posters that register just to piss on the place and say they're diehard Jets fans and longtime JI "lurkers" are absolutely worthless.

Who the f' needs lurkers that are all take and no give? F 'em.

maybe...but I gave it a shot and he hijacks threads and bloviates. then we learn he is not a JETS fan???

and that picture???  he has a great face for radio. :winking0001: