What happened to jets insider : MERGED

flgreen

When did you start posting on JI??

November 2011. But that was another board with such heavy traffic that posts often got lost in it, so you may not have noticed any of my posts.However, when the move to Scout was announced, several folks noticed my posts that pointed out that no more than 3% of the board had signed up.That even provoked a response from Sooth, who gave it a LOL, together with a claim that some 4000 signups had occured. I then suggested Sooth was a liar, based on the way the Scout board keeps everyone logged in. That drew a PM from a mod suggesting a ban might happen. I had made my point, so I pretty much went back to lurking.

November 2011. But that was another board with such heavy traffic that posts often got lost in it, so you may not have noticed any of my posts.However, when the move to Scout was announced, several folks noticed my posts that pointed out that no more than 3% of the board had signed up.That even provoked a response from Sooth, who gave it a LOL, together with a claim that some 4000 signups had occured. I then suggested Sooth was a liar, based on the way the Scout board keeps everyone logged in. That drew a PM from a mod suggesting a ban might happen. I had made my point, so I pretty much went back to lurking.

Part of the problem is I was on JI since 1999 most of the posters here were also on JI including Max and Tom.. So most of us know each other from there.. I agree there is a clique element to most boards until they get to see you post more.. Max is more like the stray dog one meets on the street.. Once he sniffs your butt your friends for life.. :winking0001:

• Upvote 1

Part of the problem is I was on JI since 1999 most of the posters here were also on JI including Max and Tom.. So most of us know each other from there.. I agree there is a clique element to most boards until they get to see you post more.. Max is more like the stray dog one meets on the street.. Once he sniffs your butt your friends for life.. :winking0001:

Well then I think I'm in trouble. I am not a frequent poster, and I don't think that will change. I always hope that the content of the post is what should draw interest, not the post count under the poster's avatar.

But yes, as to the clique element, I definitely have the impression there are many who do not even bother reading a post once they see the post count of the poster is low. And if they do read the post, they will not sully themselves by responding to someone with a low post count. I even saw a post on the old board (I intentionally try not mentioning its name where possible) where someone actually stated they would not lower themselves to respond to posters who did not have a high post count. I was shocked, but that did explain a lot.

Check this out.  Sooth is offering a special sale on membership until 9PM today.  Pay for one month and get nine free.

Wow is that pathetic.  Who the fukk would pay for that?

http://nyj.scout.com/forums/1875-the-landing-strip/13675269-flash-sale-till-9pm-7-mos-for-1?s=65

What he has become is pathetic. Trying to get that last 100 dollars from his handful of followers before they leave? its sad. 

Sooth was always  egotistical and douchey which I guess was okay since his product was good. But being a Terd and on top of it offering a vastly inferior product is just not going to work for most people. 

• Upvote 1

Well then I think I'm in trouble. I am not a frequent poster, and I don't think that will change. I always hope that the content of the post is what should draw interest, not the post count under the poster's avatar.

But yes, as to the clique element, I definitely have the impression there are many who do not even bother reading a post once they see the post count of the poster is low. And if they do read the post, they will not sully themselves by responding to someone with a low post count. I even saw a post on the old board (I intentionally try not mentioning its name where possible) where someone actually stated they would not lower themselves to respond to posters who did not have a high post count. I was shocked, but that did explain a lot.

On a somewhat related note, I think the mods are a bit merge happy here on JN. Not every post on a subject needs to be merged into one post, and I for one like to jump into a new thread with a low count moreso than what appears to be an old thread with a high post count, logic being that whatever is being discussed in there is done and there isn't much new ground to break.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Both Max and Tom have high post counts and it doesn't help them.. Plus they were funny on JI somehow they got neutered and the funny got chopped off when they started JN.. :animal0029:

I hope that's not the case here, but who knows. It's not the case for me, personally. There are posters here who I have a lot of respect for with low post counts, where I'll do a double-take at the number, because I was sure they posted more. For the record, I've taken note of your posts, and have even spent seconds of my life trying to figure out who's in your avatar before my short attention span moved onto something else.

There is a clique element here (and in every other internet community), and there's also a squeaky wheel gets the grease element here where the trolliest posts get more responses than the calmer and more level-headed posts. Doesn't mean we don't need more of the latter.

I hope that's not the case here, but who knows. It's not the case for me, personally. There are posters here who I have a lot of respect for with low post counts, where I'll do a double-take at the number, because I was sure they posted more. For the record, I've taken note of your posts, and have even spent seconds of my life trying to figure out who's in your avatar before my short attention span moved onto something else.

There is a clique element here (and in every other internet community), and there's also a squeaky wheel gets the grease element here where the trolliest posts get more responses than the calmer and more level-headed posts. Doesn't mean we don't need more of the latter.t

Thanks for asking. That's Johnny Galecki, the actor who plays Dr. Leonard Hofstaeder on The Big Bang Theory. The avatar works for me on several levels. First, his character on TBBT is a physicist, as am I. The Dr part works too. Second, the guy looks a bit hung over and that appears to be a beer can in front of him in the picture I am using as an avatar. I've done that, too,  :winking0001: And finally, I've been told I look a bit like him, or at least I did when I was his age.

I know, I know. Much more than you wanted to know.

November 2011. But that was another board with such heavy traffic that posts often got lost in it, so you may not have noticed any of my posts.However, when the move to Scout was announced, several folks noticed my posts that pointed out that no more than 3% of the board had signed up.That even provoked a response from Sooth, who gave it a LOL, together with a claim that some 4000 signups had occured. I then suggested Sooth was a liar, based on the way the Scout board keeps everyone logged in. That drew a PM from a mod suggesting a ban might happen. I had made my point, so I pretty much went back to lurking.

I remember that post. Good job.

Oh wow lol.

I remember that post. Good job.

Thanks. But you may be recalling my post made with similar content I made here, maybe even upstream in this thread. Just want to make sure as many folks as possible know about the deception, and that the numbers really do seem to prove the deception.

How did you get them to disclose confidential information without signing a non-disclosure agreement?  I'm not doubting you I'm just wondering whether you had any leverage or whether their legal was super sloppy.

The head of account management, the guy that is named in the press release when ji signed up -- he sent me an email offering to fly to meet me. Gave me the impression they had money to spend and were acquiring sites. I went in to meet him the next week since he was in NY for the NFL draft. They were trying to sell me on joining so they went through their corporate slide deck (which they emailed to me) and I saw the general revenue splits, different ways that you can make money with them, we talked about how much money some sites like the Vikings make off of premium memberships. I met with the head of I.T. in NY and the new VP of Marketing. They answered any question that I had, and I did ask a lot.

When the meeting ended these were the next steps, they wanted me to come back in and meet the CEO (he wasn't in that day). And they said they would email me the NDA to sign at which point they could get our traffic numbers and make an offer.

I said no thanks. Told the mods that day I wasn't signing the NDA because I wanted to be able to talk about his.  :)

• Upvote 2

The head of account management, the guy that is named in the press release when ji signed up -- he sent me an email offering to fly to meet me. Gave me the impression they had money to spend and were acquiring sites. I went in to meet him the next week since he was in NY for the NFL draft. They were trying to sell me on joining so they went through their corporate slide deck (which they emailed to me) and I saw the general revenue splits, different ways that you can make money with them, we talked about how much money some sites like the Vikings make off of premium memberships. I met with the head of I.T. in NY and the new VP of Marketing. They answered any question that I had, and I did ask a lot.

When the meeting ended these were the next steps, they wanted me to come back in and meet the CEO (he wasn't in that day). And they said they would email me the NDA to sign at which point they could get our traffic numbers and make an offer.

I said no thanks. Told the mods that day I wasn't signing the NDA because I wanted to be able to talk about his.   :)

Very admirable that you did not "go for the gold," as did some other owner of some other site, neither of which will I name. I, for one, am glad you did what you did. Thanks!

Unfortunately there isn't really anything one can do even though it's illegal. Unless I guess we all complain somewhere about it. But nobody bothers so scumbags like Sooth/Scout will always get away with these types of actions. They just figure people are too lazy to do something about it.

In fairness to Sooth, I highly doubt he is behind sending the spam email on a regular basis. He did sell the addresses which is a gray area under the original terms of his site, but what is being done with them now is all under the control of scout.

In fairness to Sooth, I highly doubt he is behind sending the spam email on a regular basis. He did sell the addresses which is a gray area under the original terms of his site, but what is being done with them now is all under the control of scout.

Which is exactly why he is behind the sending of spam on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1

Very admirable that you did not "go for the gold," as did some other owner of some other site, neither of which will I name. I, for one, am glad you did what you did. Thanks!

Well, thanks....but the gold medal was never going to be handed out by Scout either way lol.

I said no thanks. Told the mods that day I wasn't signing the NDA because I wanted to be able to talk about his.   :)

Interesting account.  Either the confidential information and trade secrets they truly valued were going to be disclosed at the next stage or their corporate counsel has not instilled a protocol for getting NDAs signed before information sessions.  Based on your account the latter sounds more likely.  The fact that they didn't ask for the NDA immediately suggests they are not a group you want to be affiliated with.  

• Upvote 2

So glad to hear that. Thank you!

Any time man. You have a good site here.

It's also been my experience from 15 or so years of posting on Rangers message boards that any time premium or VIP pay stuff comes up the sites not only suffer, they're eradicated.

• Upvote 1

Well, thanks....but the gold medal was never going to be handed out by Scout either way lol.

The gold I had in mind wasn't a medal. It was cash. And it is admirable you didn't let yourself let seduced into grabbing it. Thanks again for not doing business with Scout, aka "Destroyer of Websites."

• Upvote 1

Interesting account.  Either the confidential information and trade secrets they truly valued were going to be disclosed at the next stage or their corporate counsel has not instilled a protocol for getting NDAs signed before information sessions.  Based on your account the latter sounds more likely.  The fact that they didn't ask for the NDA immediately suggests they are not a group you want to be affiliated with.  

I totally agree, it is pretty common for the NDA to be step one.

• Upvote 1

The gold I had in mind wasn't a medal. It was cash. And it is admirable you didn't let yourself let seduced into grabbing it. Thanks again for not doing business with Scout, aka "Destroyer of Websites."

Oh gotcha.  

Definitely not sure what they were offering. Really didn't want to find out. If they offered some insane amount it would have just been frustrating. Definitely wasn't partnering with them. The only thing they convinced me is they are good at ruining sites like this.

• Upvote 2

Oh gotcha.  

Definitely not sure what they were offering. Really didn't want to find out. If they offered some insane amount it would have just been frustrating. Definitely wasn't partnering with them. The only thing they convinced me is they are good at ruining sites like this.

Good idea. Unlike Odysseus, you weren't tied to a mast to prevent yourself from being drawn into the rocks, And into the rocks you might have sailed, with your ship surely going to the bottom. At least we've seen one case where that's exactly what happened.

I have all your posts printed out and Framed in  my office.

I don't know dude. I'm pretty new here. I can tell there are posters that are familiar with each other and whatnot. But I get plenty of interactions with people here.

It's also a law of averages. The more you post the more likely you'll get a response. And I don't think that's based on post count. I use the mobile version and can't see people's post counts. When I'm at work on the PC I see it and all I think is "That guy's been here for a while and didn't get banned". Lol.

Post counting is for children anyway.

• Upvote 3

He sold them, he's responsible for it. That asswipe should know better. You don't sell email adresses and not figure that somebody wants to make money off of it. They don't buy them to look at them. Of course they're gonna either sell them to other shady companies or they'll send you spam and make money off of it that way. But who knows, maybe he just really is that stupid. After all, he bought their crazy "We'll make you the next Steve Jobs" type stories. What an imbecile.

• Upvote 2

Post counting is for children anyway.

fwiw, i'd be surprised if anyone looks at counts. All a high post count means is that you've developed relationships with people here which makes it more likely people will respond to you, even if it's only to break your balls

• Upvote 2

You guys gave them your regular email address?  Ouch.

Not a "regular" regular one. One of those that I'd use to register at semi-legit websites or message boards and stuff like that. I synch'd those mail accounts with my phone and now I get notifications regularly by that piece of sh*t Scout website with their sh*tty newsletter that nobody ever reads I'm sure. I don't even know why they waste their money with that crap.

And who thought that piece of sh*t would turn out to be a piece of sh*t. I thought he was somewhat trustworthy, he had a "face", we talked to him, we knew his name, his background, he was a huge Jets fan (according to some at least). So yeah. Now I hope somebody sends him a bag of sh*t and he chokes on it somehow.

Not a "regular" regular one. One of those that I'd use to register at semi-legit websites or message boards and stuff like that. I synch'd those mail accounts with my phone and now I get notifications regularly by that piece of sh*t Scout website with their sh*tty newsletter that nobody ever reads I'm sure. I don't even know why they waste their money with that crap.

And who thought that piece of sh*t would turn out to be a piece of sh*t. I thought he was somewhat trustworthy, he had a "face", we talked to him, we knew his name, his background, he was a huge Jets fan (according to some at least). So yeah. Now I hope somebody sends him a bag of sh*t and he chokes on it somehow.

I don't even trust Max with an email that synchs to my phone and he might even have my number.