What happened to jets insider : MERGED

flgreen

Just now, Warfish said:

In what way have I offended you, specifically?

Forgive me, but it's hard to keep track of all the folks I've apparently made butt-hurt over the past 15 years in JetsFanLand.

Not offended. You were just a...pacifist..Slightly on the side of Soothe..so it is a statement that you said what you did

3 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

The transition was turrible. Completely tanked the promising forum. Scout ruins everything.

Twas a perfect storm that killed JI.

The rise of social media, the ill-willed culture on the landing strip, the best posters turned into bad moderators, the cliquey hangar, the awful Idzik era, and the horrible user interface.  Add it all up, all but 10 of the 1000's of JI posters were looking for an excuse to move on anyway and this pretend merger designed to fleece us with banner ads and junk email happened at precisely the right moment.

As for how much Sean made, I recall back in the day that I estimated $40,000 based on the lifetime value of a forum participant, we actually don't generate a lot of revenue.  Scout's mistake of course is that they were trying to be that Wall Street buzzword of a "platform" which runs counter to discussion forum principles; we seek out homebrew sites for our conversations, not large behemoths.

SAR I

Just now, Lizard King said:

Not offended. You were just a...pacifist..Slightly on the side of Soothe..so it is a statement that you said what you did

Ah, I see now.

When he announced it, I tried my very best to support him and hoped it would work out despite my doubts.  I.e. Till the facts made rather clear otherwise.  I felt I owed it to him, honestly, he provided me a home for my JetsFandom I never had before, he let me Mod (disaster tho that turned out to be), and had always been supportive and kind to me (online).

Honestly, I always wondered if I choose poorly sticking with the busier JI when the original JI/JN Split occured.  Most of my better "e-friends" were on the JN side, and I certainly understood their issues at the time and sympathized, but leaving the massive population and frequent postings at JI was real tough for me back when JN was, sorry, a bit on the quiet side most days.

Still, as it played out, I likely shoulda just jumped ship with Max and crew way back when.  Ended up here anyway, except now alot of folks think I'm new, instead of going back so many years now with the oldsters here.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

....the best posters turned into bad moderators....

I always knew you though I was the best.  :Brofist:

And the CHE?  I love those damn CHE's, like brothers, even today I love them all.

But they're best off doing their own thing, I'm not sure they'd like it here beyond the occasional pop-in.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And the CHE?  I love those damn CHE's, like brothers, even today I love them all.

But they're best off doing their own thing, I'm not sure they'd like it here beyond the occasional pop-in.

C.mon, he was clearly talking about me. 

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It really is amazing.  Traffic then vs. Traffic now.  Users then vs. users now.

How to destroy a forum and community in 10 minutes, by The Soothsayer.

It didn't change a bit. It may even be better with the added knowledgeable fans already on Scout...Oh yes, and improvements are imminent...Thank you for your patience.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The rise of social media, the ill-willed culture on the landing strip, the best posters turned into bad moderators, the cliquey hangar, the awful Idzik era, and the horrible user interface.  Add it all up, all but 10 of the 1000's of JI posters were looking for an excuse to move on anyway and this pretend merger designed to fleece us with banner ads and junk email happened at precisely the right moment.

As for how much Sean made, I recall back in the day that I estimated $40,000 based on the lifetime value of a forum participant, we actually don't generate a lot of revenue.  Scout's mistake of course is that they were trying to be that Wall Street buzzword of a "platform" which runs counter to discussion forum principles; we seek out homebrew sites for our conversations, not large behemoths.

SAR I

Don't forget about that green font-typing idiot who talked about himself in third person.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Don't forget about that green font-typing idiot who talked about himself in third person.

That's right!  It was Ramada or Hilton or some hotel name.  EDIT:  Just went over to find him, it wasn't hard.

This is an excerpt from a thread appropriately entitled "Are These Forums Dead?"

Well, JI users have nobody to blame but themselves.
Scout users may not have LIKED the merger but most were resigned to it by the time JI users came crashing in here and started chasing everyone off with their obnoxious behavior.
And NOBODY, Sooth included, tried harder to make the transition work more smoothly, than HYATT™ - and all he got for it was a shightload of grief from snotty JI users.

The new Jets forum for old scout users is doing just fine, thank you very much.
Cordial users, plenty of news, great conversation and interaction, with hardly a troll in sight.

AND STILL... HYATT™ bears no grudges and freely offers up this for JI/scout current users, for their convenience.

Each year HYATT™ (me - home page on Packer Report) compiles an Excel spreadsheet version (nobody else makes it in Excel, apparently) of the NFL schedule and offers it up for the rest of scout forums.
No big deal, since the work is already done.
HYATT™ assures you, it's completely safe - no malware - just a handy combo NFL schedule and weekly "Pik-'em" spreadsheet for playing weekly picks with friends or an office pool.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

I believe it was a combination of events that led to the demise.  

1.  Scout was horrible, both in terms of activity and presentation.  I used to post there for a bit (mainly because I had a scout subscription one year for baseball) and it was just dead.  You would make a post and be lucky to see three replies by the end of the week- unless the two other people were going back and forth fighting with each other.  

2.  There was a big culture clash because scout was basically run as a tight ship (much easier to do when there are about 10 posts per day) as opposed to the more freestyle of JI.  Considering it was a corporate take over, it was going to be run more as a tight ship than anything, which didn't appeal to most folks.  

3.  The whole email saga was a definite turn-off.  

4.  The Scout website (or blog or whatever you call it) might be one of the worst places to read an article.  They deliver absolutely nothing, especially with football, which makes for a bad lead-in to the forums.  Almost all of the articles were about 8 sentences long, with regurgitated information that was useless.  

I think Scout saw the success of Bleacher Report, rising to a bit of respectability and becoming profitable, and decided to do the same for forums.  Collect the most active forums for teams, throw them together and build a community.  However, it didn't quite work out that way because BR saw it's success by doing the exact opposite.   

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ah, I see now.

When he announced it, I tried my very best to support him and hoped it would work out despite my doubts.  I.e. Till the facts made rather clear otherwise.  I felt I owed it to him, honestly, he provided me a home for my JetsFandom I never had before, he let me Mod (disaster tho that turned out to be), and had always been supportive and kind to me (online).

Honestly, I always wondered if I choose poorly sticking with the busier JI when the original JI/JN Split occured.  Most of my better "e-friends" were on the JN side, and I certainly understood their issues at the time and sympathized, but leaving the massive population and frequent postings at JI was real tough for me back when JN was, sorry, a bit on the quiet side most days.

Still, as it played out, I likely shoulda just jumped ship with Max and crew way back when.  Ended up here anyway, except now alot of folks think I'm new, instead of going back so many years now with the oldsters here.

Yes but you lost all the jetnation com stock options by waiting LOL.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Let's not forget the twats who trolled the board without consequence and when confronted ran to the mods crying alike a bitch

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, EM31 said:

I assume he was making something already from the whole annual subscription thing anyway and that any offer to buy him out would need to account for that.  Maybe the purchase price was tied into the number of members who actually converted (and stuck) at the new site.

I hope so. Unfortunately, I found out fairly early that once you joined, there was no way to quit. No reason to keep participating though. Still, judging from the surge in spam I received shortly after joining (and trying to quit), participation didn't matter. You got the spam anyway.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yes but you lost all the jetnation com stock options by waiting LOL.

You have to admit that the greatest moment in JI/JN history was when I started the thread in winter 2007-2008 in our mod lounge that I had access to the JI mod forum. At first you didn't believe me lol "post a screen cap loser", then you went bat sh*t crazy with euphoria!!! Being put on double secret probation (moderation) by one of the dumbest board administrators in the history of message boards (not just Jets) made our mod forum the most active forum on the board at 3am at night during clandestine activities behind enemy lines. And then Sperm and geyno blew the whole ******* thing!! 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Despite SAR's protestations to the contrary, the CHE are what drove traffic to JI the last 3 or so years, coupled with his clashes with them. In a way, he helped strengthen the CHE brand with his continued schticky attempts to get invited to sit at the cool kids lunch table. Sad and pathetic. Had he embraced his role, things might've gone differently. 

As for Scout, they killed nothing. JI was done in by one person; Sooth. I've said it a dozen times, had he been up front with a core group of people things might have been different. Instead he saw fit to obfuscate while putting forth a feeble effort, which placed him in the position he deserved to be; irrelevant. 

• Upvote 1

That's right!  It was Ramada or Hilton or some hotel name.  EDIT:  Just went over to find him, it wasn't hard.

This is an excerpt from a thread appropriately entitled "Are These Forums Dead?"

Well, JI users have nobody to blame but themselves.

Scout users may not have LIKED the merger but most were resigned to it by the time JI users came crashing in here and started chasing everyone off with their obnoxious behavior.

And NOBODY, Sooth included, tried harder to make the transition work more smoothly, than HYATT - and all he got for it was a shightload of grief from snotty JI users.

The new Jets forum for old scout users is doing just fine, thank you very much.

Cordial users, plenty of news, great conversation and interaction, with hardly a troll in sight.

AND STILL... HYATT bears no grudges and freely offers up this for JI/scout current users, for their convenience.

Each year HYATT (me - home page on Packer Report) compiles an Excel spreadsheet version (nobody else makes it in Excel, apparently) of the NFL schedule and offers it up for the rest of scout forums.

No big deal, since the work is already done.

HYATT assures you, it's completely safe - no malware - just a handy combo NFL schedule and weekly "Pik-'em" spreadsheet for playing weekly picks with friends or an office pool.

SAR I

Said it before, I'll say it again. That guy suffers from "smartest guy in the trailer park" syndrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetworks said:

As for Scout, they killed nothing. JI was done in by one person; Sooth. I've said it a dozen times, had he been up front with a core group of people things might have been different. Instead he saw fit to obfuscate while putting forth a feeble effort, which placed him in the position he deserved to be; irrelevant. 

Hmm have to disagree.  Ji was fun,  relevant and very fluid pretty much up to the end

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, BP said:

You have to admit that the greatest moment in JI/JN history was when I started the thread in winter 2007-2008 in our mod lounge that I had access to the JI mod forum. At first you didn't believe me lol "post a screen cap loser", then you went bat sh*t crazy with euphoria!!! Being put on double secret probation (moderation) by one of the dumbest board administrators in the history of message boards (not just Jets) made our mod forum the most active forum on the board at 3am at night during clandestine activities behind enemy lines. And then Sperm and geyno blew the whole ******* thing!! 

Do I have to admit it?

Here was my post in the mod forum about the closing once the date was announced. Sorry that I put the paint in the walls instead of on it. Also, sorry that Crusher ate all the donuts.

ji.PNG