What happened to jets insider : MERGED

flgreen

Im not following all this as much as everyone else seems to be but in a nut shell another forum sells out and gets burned so now all the posters are coming here and this is where SAR I originated?

I have been participating in discussion forums since 1994. Before attractive forums like this one existed, there was a prehistoric version called USENET which you could access through a program called outlook express.

About 10 years ago I chose Jets Insider because the community was really cool and while we had some football experts for the most part it was just a bunch of guys talking casually about their favorite team. But as time went by the site owner did a couple of really stupid things. Most notably, he allowed most of his best posters to become bad moderators. They allowed chummy cliques to form. They created a lousy subforum called The Hangar where these empowered ex-good posters could use their mod powers on others.

But worst of all, a set of 5 terrible homers invaded and treated the place like Twitter. The personal attacks started and the moderators spent all their time in The Hangar instead of doing their jobs in the main forum. The place became a sewer in less than a year.

JN is what was good about JI five years ago. Heaven help us if the worst of JI invades here and turns this place upside down too.

SAR I

Most notably, he allowed most of his best posters to become bad moderators.

As much as I hate saying this, he's absolutely right.

Guys like Ham went from solid football-related posters, to arrogant nutbags.

PaulieC was one of JI's best, then after becoming a mod, started playing fluffer to Sean's Ron Jeremy, as we've witnessed in this very thread. It's sad really.

• Upvote 1

I have been participating in discussion forums since 1994. Before attractive forums like this one existed, there was a prehistoric version called USENET which you could access through a program called outlook express.

About 10 years ago I chose Jets Insider because the community was really cool and while we had some football experts for the most part it was just a bunch of guys talking casually about their favorite team. But as time went by the site owner did a couple of really stupid things. Most notably, he allowed most of his best posters to become bad moderators. They allowed chummy cliques to form. They created a lousy subforum called The Hangar where these empowered ex-good posters could use their mod powers on others.

But worst of all, a set of 5 terrible homers invaded and treated the place like Twitter. The personal attacks started and the moderators spent all their time in The Hangar instead of doing their jobs in the main forum. The place became a sewer in less than a year.

JN is what was good about JI five years ago. Heaven help us if the worst of JI invades here and turns this place upside down too.

SAR I

I agree with this in its unabridged entirety.

JI went downhill the last year or two  even though the site interface became excellent. Excellent posters left and we were left with ....  you fill in the blank.

No. SAR is a casual fan whose best days were when Chad Pennington was our QB. As much as SAR reveled in it, the day Chad was replaced by Brett Favre was also the day SAR's decline began.

First off, the days of discussion forums are over. What used to be the engine behind discussion forums- breaking news and the pulse of the common fan- has been replaced by Twitter and Facebook. Used to be I could get on JI 30 seconds after the Jets lost and set the narrative myself, I could create the fans point of view and I could do it before the local sportswriters could. Today, you've got Mehta, Cimini, Schein, Cannizzaro, Tweeting after every series, the post-game article is already published in the third quarter. By the postgame show, you're bored, nothing else to contribute.

Once you accept that, discussion forums can only compete against social media in one area- the comraderie of those who you enjoy talking to. So on JI, when the place became a nasty war-zone with moderators not doing their jobs and the blind homers overtaking every decent conversation, I simply backed out, started texting my Jets friends instead, started watching Postgame Live more closely. I belong to over a dozen forums on many different topics, I can get my thrill of the form factor there.

JN succeeds where JI fails because, either through a smart strategy or dumb luck, there still is a sense of community here that is both welcoming and provacative and hasn't been invaded by blind homers and bad moderators. Praying it doesn't change.

SAR I

First off, the days of discussion forums are over. What used to be the engine behind discussion forums- breaking news and the pulse of the common fan- has been replaced by Twitter and Facebook. Used to be I could get on JI 30 seconds after the Jets lost and set the narrative myself, I could create the fans point of view and I could do it before the local sportswriters could. Today, you've got Mehta, Cimini, Schein, Cannizzaro, Tweeting after every series, the post-game article is already published in the third quarter. By the postgame show, you're bored, nothing else to contribute.Once you accept that, discussion forums can only compete against social media in one area- the comraderie of those who you enjoy talking to. So on JI, when the place became a nasty war-zone with moderators not doing their jobs and the blind homers overtaking every decent conversation, I simply backed out, started texting my Jets friends instead, started watching Postgame Live more closely. I belong to over a dozen forums on many different topics, I can get my thrill of the form factor there.JN succeeds where JI fails because, either through a smart strategy or dumb luck, there still is a sense of community here that is both welcoming and provacative and hasn't been invaded by blind homers and bad moderators. Praying it doesn't change.SAR I

The only thing I disagree with is the bad moderators. We pretty much all suck at this.

The only thing I disagree with is the bad moderators. We pretty much all suck at this.

Don't sell yourselves short. You're going to be tested. I can see the future. Goes something like this:

JI shuts down.

Full-on exodus from Scout begins.

JN gets the bulk of the userbase. This is good. It deserves the traffic.

The good-posters-turned-bad-moderators on JI turn back into good posters again on JN. This is good.

The Hangar clique will lobby hard and endlessly about recreating it on JN. This must be avoided at all costs.

The Blind Homers will behave at first but will eventually push you to your limits. And this is the critical moment.

As a Moderator drawn into a dispute between a Blind Homer (Yeah! Go Jets!) and a Disgruntled Realist (Boo! Rex Ryan Sucks!) your instincts will be to favor the Blind Homer because they are fighting for something positive and that is how they get away with their personal attacks and anti-community behavior. Fortunately, unlike JI moderators, you guys actually participate in the main board, you don't hide in some lounge mocking what you've allowed to happen to the very members you're supposed to protect.

Don't grandfather in JI Moderators. Leave your group alone.

Don't tolerate Blind Homers. You know their names. Ray Ray, sg3, Jet Nut the biggest offenders in case you don't.

Don't recreate The Hangar. It's the genesis of all the ill-will.

A month from now, this is what you'll be facing. That, and an even uglier Jets record making for a very grumpy fanbase and a potentially volitile merger with JI ex-pats. Stand your ground. Only God can make a tree.

SAR I

• Upvote 4

First off, the days of discussion forums are over. What used to be the engine behind discussion forums- breaking news and the pulse of the common fan- has been replaced by Twitter and Facebook. Used to be I could get on JI 30 seconds after the Jets lost and set the narrative myself, I could create the fans point of view and I could do it before the local sportswriters could. Today, you've got Mehta, Cimini, Schein, Cannizzaro, Tweeting after every series, the post-game article is already published in the third quarter. By the postgame show, you're bored, nothing else to contribute.

Once you accept that, discussion forums can only compete against social media in one area- the comraderie of those who you enjoy talking to. So on JI, when the place became a nasty war-zone with moderators not doing their jobs and the blind homers overtaking every decent conversation, I simply backed out, started texting my Jets friends instead, started watching Postgame Live more closely. I belong to over a dozen forums on many different topics, I can get my thrill of the form factor there.

JN succeeds where JI fails because, either through a smart strategy or dumb luck, there still is a sense of community here that is both welcoming and provacative and hasn't been invaded by blind homers and bad moderators. Praying it doesn't change.

SAR I

C'mon Sar, You know you come out with all kinds of inflammatory comments, and now your going to get all hurt when people get angry, which was your intend.

:) gimme a break

Just joined here, too. Formerly known as "Green + White" at JI, because Sean ignored all my requests to change the username. It's a shame what happened at JI, the whole sold-out is embarassing and the community (think about it what you want) is ripped apart. Scout never was an option, their board is a mess. I hope this place is like JI was some years ago.

Don't sell yourselves short. You're going to be tested. I can see the future. Goes something like this:

JI shuts down.

Full-on exodus from Scout begins.

JN gets the bulk of the userbase. This is good. It deserves the traffic.

The good-posters-turned-bad-moderators on JI turn back into good posters again on JN. This is good.

The Hangar clique will lobby hard and endlessly about recreating it on JN. This must be avoided at all costs.

The Blind Homers will behave at first but will eventually push you to your limits. And this is the critical moment.

As a Moderator drawn into a dispute between a Blind Homer (Yeah! Go Jets!) and a Disgruntled Realist (Boo! Rex Ryan Sucks!) your instincts will be to favor the Blind Homer because they are fighting for something positive and that is how they get away with their personal attacks and anti-community behavior. Fortunately, unlike JI moderators, you guys actually participate in the main board, you don't hide in some lounge mocking what you've allowed to happen to the very members you're supposed to protect.

Don't grandfather in JI Moderators. Leave your group alone.

Don't tolerate Blind Homers. You know their names. Ray Ray, sg3, Jet Nut the biggest offenders in case you don't.

Don't recreate The Hangar. It's the genesis of all the ill-will.

A month from now, this is what you'll be facing. That, and an even uglier Jets record making for a very grumpy fanbase and a potentially volitile merger with JI ex-pats. Stand your ground. Only God can make a tree.

SAR I

The blind homers presence is already felt, IMO. I've not been nearly the aggressor I was a couple years ago, but they come at me a ton the past month, presumably because my football posts are a lot of tough love for the Hets that individuals take to heart.

JN caries a constant "don't take ourselves too seriously overtone" that is the basis of what founded the Hangar. The Gangar became a joke over time, went from grown men humoing each other to insecure men seeking approval via incessant inside joke reference. It was inclusive, then became almost impossible to pull up a seat at the bar. From men goofing on each other to some odd mean girls analogy.

The Lounge, mafia sub-forums and the fact that any football thread can stay on topic here, with goofball nonsense commingled into it help make that original feeling of Hangar tardiness pervasive at JN.

- There once was JetsInsider.

- Then a few people left there to build this site.

- Then posters gradually (or in some cases not so gradually) migrated over, because the owner of JI is a self-absorbed sh*t-stain.

- Then said sh*t-stain sells his site to a SPORTS POWERHOUSE.

- Now said sh*t-stain is losing the remnants of his site's posters, because said SPORTS POWERHOUSE can only muster a message board that looks like it developed when the Palm Pilot was the latest fad.

That is the gist, although I'm skipping over quite a bit of internet drama.

Palm pilot?  Too funny.  My son found one in the draw and was horrified when he found out it had no color and no games.  He was perplexed by what this "thing" could possibly be used for .  Was even funnier when I truly had no answer for him.  I really dont remember. 

Guys like Ham went from solid football-related posters, to arrogant nutbags.

Never forget the time Hammer challenged RichardSeymour to a fist fight in a rest area off I-95. Funny stuff.

Also loved Hammer's weekly Power Rankings. Don't know what was funnier, his blind homerism for the Jets (he always had them in the top 3), or all the different color fonts he used.

Fishooked is seriously one of my favorite posters ever. When you went back to ji after posting here a while, I went back into therapy. It was a tough and challenging time. lol....

But what about all the progress we made. How you finally came to embrace your repressed identity as a feisty latina tween with body image issues who cried herself to sleep most nights?

• Upvote 1

Can you elaborate on this? 

Sure, as a general observation, the collective sense of humor has dropped off considerably. It used to be more wit, not sure how to say it, but "quicker". You had to be on your toes. Now it's a lot of guys trying to be the first to re-reference an old joke. It's like a bunch of dude caught in an endless cycle of seeking acceptance, and the validation points are being in the know on old jokes. It's cool when a community can reference the classic funny moments, but it shouldn't become a form of gatekeeping, which I think over time it did there... especially as the really funny guys seemed to fade away.

Again, I like most, if not all of the guys there, I just think that "the Hampur as a collection of doot-minded goofballs" was a better place to kill time than "the Hampur the gated community of people who poop on their own lawn".

Never forget the time Hammer challenged RichardSeymour to a fist fight in a rest area off I-95. Funny stuff.

Also loved Hammer's weekly Power Rankings. Don't know what was funnier, his blind homerism for the Jets (he always had them in the top 3), or all the different color fonts he used.

Nothing was funnier - and more pathetic, considering what triggered it - than the outbursts towards Warfish, Raoul, and a few others, that led to his final banning from JI.

Sure, as a general observation, the collective sense of humor has dropped off considerably. It used to be more wit, not sure how to say it, but "quicker". You had to be on your toes. Now it's a lot of guys trying to be the first to re-reference an old joke. It's like a bunch of dude caught in an endless cycle of seeking acceptance, and the validation points are being in the know on old jokes. It's cool when a community can reference the classic funny moments, but it shouldn't become a form of gatekeeping, which I think over time it did there... especially as the really funny guys seemed to fade away.

Again, I like most, if not all of the guys there, I just think that "the Hampur as a collection of doot-minded goofballs" was a better place to kill time than "the Hampur the gated community of people who poop on their own lawn".

There it is in a nutshell.  Borg used to flip out when guys used "referential humor" as he put it. lol  

Go ask Timmy.  He made his life hell every time he posted an "inside joke".   

There it is in a nutshell.  Borg used to flip out when guys used "referential humor" as he put it. lol  

Go ask Timmy.  He made his life hell every time he posted an "inside joke".   

lol, we do it here too... and there's nothing wrong with it, but it can't be all there is.

• Upvote 1

Nothing was funnier - and more pathetic, considering what triggered it - than the outbursts towards Warfish, Raoul, and a few others, that led to his final banning from JI.

I missed all of that.  And, really, it's just so surprising.  I mean, that guy was a beacon on stability.

Hello, another JI lifeboat occupant here looking for a new home.

Good to see so many familiar names posting in this thread, both old and new. :-)

I tried Scout when the whole move thing first came up, never really got on with it plus it was somewhat quiet. After nothing else happened for ages I wondered the whole thing would just blow over, but with the final eviction notice finally going up and people suggesting we come here, I thought I'd give it a try.

• Upvote 1

I may regret asking this, but are there/were there any advantages (other than familiarity) that JI offered that don't exist on this site? I know that the posters on this site can come off as clique-y to new posters so it's hard to gain traction, but other than that, why resist posting here?

• Upvote 1

I may regret asking this, but are there/were there any advantages (other than familiarity) that JI offered that don't exist on this site? I know that the posters on this site can come off as clique-y to new posters so it's hard to gain traction, but other than that, why resist posting here?

Well you weren't on JI other then that no...LOL

• Upvote 2

you

it was simple for me JI was the first forum i ever found for Jets and it made no sense for me to check out other forums that would be talking about the jets it seemed redundant, but with JI closing and scout looking like something I used back in college in 2005 I had to find a new home.

Same thing with JN for me now I like it here so their is no need for me to chk out ganggreen or anything all my info is here.

Not sure about everyone else but i am simple no alias's no members of 100 sites if I ever get banned never have but if you will never see me create other user names and stuff.

• Upvote 1

shorter answer I am loyal like wrecks lol