Sunday Game thread discussion

joewilly12

Beckham went 6 spots before our pick, genius.

The way this game works, is you wait until you see the results of a play, a game, or the end of the season, and then curse the team for not trading up in round 1 for that one player.

Don't you remember all his screams for us to trade up to #10 or #11 to draft Beckham before the Giants took him?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They won't force out Coughlin, but I think they're grooming their new OC to take over for him eventually.

Word is they have repeatedly and quietly offered Coughlin his full salary, some parting gifts, a day, ring of honor, may be a comfy upstairs retirement job, all that, if he takes a walk. And he will have none of it. he's a tough old goat and won't go unless they fire him. And he's not making that a very tough decision any more.

Not jerking Idzik off for some awesome acquisition just yet, but watching Beckham is why I'm not so livid over him picking up Harvin for all that $ this year after we were already 1-7. Harvin's never going to make a catch like that, and isn't as much of a "pure receiver" as Beckham either. But there are some players in the league who are just electrifying playmakers like few others. An extra something (I hate the overused term "intangibles") or call it what you want.

There are kids who just got drafted pick #18 or later from '14 who will be more consistent WRs and probably better pure-outside WRs than Harvin. But Harvin is - or at least was, but he's only 26 - the type of player who makes these "holy crap" plays.

Odds are we still overpaid and it won't pan out. Or he'll refuse to restructure because we're the Jets. And then after we cut him in August for money reasons (and after the pick for him gets upgraded to a 4th), he'll re-sign with Seattle, after they win another SB, for $5.6M/year. Or something horrible will happen just because. But he's still so young and so fast (with 5 years of NFL experience under his belt) and has that rare playmaker gene, that it was probably worth the risk. Decker is a better overall WR and is more reliable and is a better redzone target and is surely a better teammate and everything. But he just can't do some of those things Harvin can. Because while he won't make a catch like Beckham just made (no one ever has and probably no one ever will) he does have the ability to do things LIKE that, that the Decker and Kerley and Amaro type receiving targets never will.

Or maybe I just want it to be so.

Word is they have repeatedly and quietly offered Coughlin his full salary, some parting gifts, a day, ring of honor, may be a comfy upstairs retirement job, all that, if he takes a walk. And he will have none of it. he's a tough old goat and won't go unless they fire him. And he's not making that a very tough decision any more.

Coughlin will step down and/or retire after the Giants tell him they plan to can him.  They will give him that option and he will take it as he will want to go out on his own terms.

I don't think they'll fire him - I think they'll just let him finish up the lame duck year left on his contract next season, then promote McAdoo the following season.

Coughlin will step down and/or retire after the Giants tell him they plan to can him.  They will give him that option and he will take it as he will want to go out on his own terms.

I don't think there's any way he voluntarily steps down - if push comes to shove, he's the type who'd rather be fired outright.

Well they should fire him on the spot for letting Beckham return punts when they're 3-7.

I really hope the Giants win this game, because the worst thing ever would be for them to finish the season with a worse record than us, and come away with another impact player like OBJ right before we pick.

You know I never thought of that. They still have some easy games left I think. The Jaguars are on their schedule if I'm not mistaken, for example.

Archived