Jameis Winston Perfect Fit For Jets

flgreen

with all of the hand wringing and pontificating, if either marriotta or winston is there when the jets pick, and they don't take him, it will be a massive mistake

with the new CBA, you can take a gamble on a rookie QB and not crush your cap.  the sam bradford days are over thank god

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every one keeps saying how safe the Mariota pick is, I don't see it. He is playing out of an offense that is very far from what NFL teams run, I think he could easily go bust.

i didn't clarify.. mariota would be a safe pick in terms of everyone believes he's a great kid.. i'm not a college football guy & even i know he's not running a pro style offense..

Why Jameis Winston would be a perfect fit for Jets next season

By Kevin KernanNovember 29, 2014 | 1:03am

Jameis Winston would be a perfect fit for the Jets, The Post's Kevin Kernan writes.

Hopefully, the Jets’ starting quarterback next season is now at Florida State — Jameis Winston.

All you really need to know about Geno Smith and the faith his teammates have in him was uttered by linebacker Calvin Pace on Friday.

After Pace said he believed in Geno, he was asked why he believes in the young quarterback who got his starting job handed back to him this week, now that the season is officially a lost cause.

“I really don’t have a choice,’’ Pace said.

Give the man credit for being honest.

Jets fans don’t have a choice, either.

Coach Rex Ryan had no choice. This team was going nowhere with Michael Vick, who did not practice Friday because he was sick. Interesting timing, don’t you think?

It’s Geno or bust now and bust is not a bad thing if it brings Winston to the Jets in the next draft. That’s exactly what Jets fans should be rooting for — that the team continues to lose Monday night at MetLife Stadium against the Dolphins and winds up picking Winston in the draft, despite his heavy baggage.

Winston’s issues might get him ready for the dysfunctional world of being a Jet.

After all, when you’re a Jet, you’re a Jet all the way.

For all his troubles off the field, on the field Winston has proven to be a leader.

Winston is big and strong in a Ben Roethlisberger kind of way, and keeps his composure on the field — for the most part. Character counts in a big way in football, and the hope is Winston has learned from his many mistakes and terrible decisions and that his character improves, but like everything else in the NFL, this is a football decision. It always comes down to football.

Oregon’s Marcus Mariota is well ahead of Winston in the character department, he has a cleaner release and is the better runner, but the NFL upside on Winston is higher, I believe. At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, Winston can take a hit and can hang in the pocket to really deliver the ball.

Mariota is 6-foot-4, 219 pounds, but Winston is a beast.

Nevertheless, either quarterback is so much better than what the Jets have now.

Winston has arm strength similar to Andrew Luck’s. He is a difference maker. The Jets need a difference maker.

Ryan has had to go through the development of Mark Sanchez, who is getting the last laugh with the Eagles, and now Smith, but Rex doesn’t figure to be around next season, so the next young Jets quarterback will be someone else’s problem.

Neither Geno Smith (right) nor Michael Vick should be the Jets quarterback in 2015, and if possible, Gang Green should grab Jameis Winston in the NFL Draft, The

If Winston doesn’t change his ways, he could become the next Ryan Leaf, the ultimate quarterback draft bust, but I believe he has much more talent and self-confidence than Leaf ever had when he was drafted by the Chargers with the second pick in 1998. The Colts took Peyton Manning No. 1.

Winston has worked extensively with quarterback guru George Whitfield Jr., and that is a big plus.

As for Smith, the Jets are handing him the job back only because they are 2-9.

The Jets have nothing to lose and losing helps them in the big draft picture. Of course, general manager John Idzik has failed miserably in the draft.

Winston is a huge risk, but a risk worth taking if the Jets are ever going to fill this quarterback sinkhole.

For his part, Smith said he feels a lot better the second time around at quarterback this season.

“Just an overall understanding of the game, our offense, everything,’’ he said after Friday’s practice. “But, obviously, you’ve got to go out there and prove it on the field.’’

Prove it to yourself, the fans and, most of all, to your teammates or your next team.

The Jets must move forward and snare a new quarterback in the draft. Winston and Mariota will be out there waiting. But the Jets need to take a chance on Winston.

Go for the Garnet and Gold and finally, put your quarterback problems behind you.

die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die diedie die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die die

Every one keeps saying how safe the Mariota pick is, I don't see it. He is playing out of an offense that is very far from what NFL teams run, I think he could easily go bust.

We just rolled the dice with Geno Smith who also played in a spread offense where he is always in the shotgun.  How'd that work out?

FSU is the National Champion, and undefeated so far this year, but they just aren't as good as they were last year. Plus Winston has had a high ankle sprain for most of the year. IMO the reason they are undefeated is because Winston finds ways at the end of games to pull them out.

I just don't buy the idea that Winston is intentionaly letting teams hey 10+ points on FSU, and jeopardizing millions of dollars that an early 1st rounder might get, for a couple of hundred dollars. Particularly with all the heat that's on him right now.

Your aware that the source of point shaving crap was none other then Incarcerated Bob?

I don't believe that he is shaving points, it just seems like it. But I agree, he really does know how to win games. He just plays so bad in the first half of games this year. He has been hurt, and they've gotten lucky. Especially vs Louisville. Looks like he's making a lot of bad decisions, maybe he's slacked off this past offseason. Who knows. But bottom line is that he really is miraculously clutch, I just wonder if he can bring that to the NFL.  

Edit: I guess he's playing right now. Not in Florida at the moment, usually watch every FSU game. Guess he's doing really bad today. 

Have you pro-Jameis clowns seen enough yet? This guy is straight GARBAGE!!! If he played in the SEC he'd have a sub-.500 record and nobody would be discussing him at all.

On a lighter note, he's going to make me a lot of money today...

How much?

Archived