Best Possible Outcome, Opening day 2015 We Present You...

Warfish

OT BRANDON SCHERFF

IOWA 

using a top 5 pick on an OT is a solution in search of a problem. The Jets just rushed for 277 yards against a team that knew it was coming. The OL is fine. There are about 20 teams where Brick would be welcomed, right now, with open arms.  is he perfect, no but so far down the list of "problems" it's not even worth talking about. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you his uncle, cause your version and the presses version don't match up.  It is certainly possible that the Jets are running a smear campaign, but would they be doing it through Cimini?  The only job Gamble turned down was Jacksonville when he supposedly refused a second interview to concentrate on the Jets job - you know, the one with thy Rex requirement. 

Here you go. You can have an obnoxious user name, you can have obnoxious opinions, you can even obnoxiously steal someone else's obnoxious avatar, but please don't be obnoxiously wrong about factual information - people come here for information as well as discussion. We try to keep the facts straight, even if the mods aren't.

12/31/2012, Jets fire Tannenbaum, will retain Rex Ryan:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-gm-rex-article-1.1230163

01/05/2013, Tom Gamble front runner to replace Rex Ryan:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/sources-gamble-front-runner-replace-jet-gm-tannenbaum-article-1.1234068

If Gamble didn't understand that Rex was part of the job (and the second link mentions the Rex-Gamble connection as a positive), then he's an idiot just because of that, and deserved to be dismissed as a candidate for interviewing poorly.

You're welcome.

They did not fire Rex when they fired Tannenbaum, but despite that there was still ambiguity at the time as to whether Woody would permit his firing if the incoming GM wanted to bring in his own guy. Woody apparently did not make it known that it was a non-negotiable condition until Gamble's 2nd interview.

Why else bring him in for a 2nd interview at all, if he did so poorly in the interview process to begin with? Because he didn't give a poor interview. Everything went well in the first interview, and all sides believed that a deal at that point was imminent. It was in the 2nd interview that Woody insisted the Rex condition was non-negotiable (as was a lesser-known condition, that Terry Bradway be kept on in his current role as well), so Gamble declined the job. It was after that the stories of him supposedly interviewing poorly came out…coincidence?

Anyway, regardless of which side you believe, it's all moot because in all likelihood that bridge is too badly burned at this point. Besides, it's not like he's the only guy out there who'd make a good GM (Wolf, DeCosta, etc). 

Perfect candidate!  Neg rep away!

Tom Gamble - Originally considered a top of the line candidate and the Jets top option, Gamble has completely fell off the map…not just with the Jets but with other teams around the league. There are only two other GM openings left besides the Jets, Kansas City and Cleveland, and Gamble doesn’t appear to be a serious candidate for either of those jobs. He also lost out in San Diego to Tom Telesco and never got serious consideration in Jacksonville or Carolina. We heard from Pro Football Talk that Gamble didn’t interview well with the Jets and from an independent source that Gamble has no grasp on the salary cap. Could these be true or did Gamble want no part of the Jets because of the forced marriage with Rex Ryan, and the team is now spinning to the media? Only time will tell but his ascension to a GM position could very well not happen until a future off-season.

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/01/new-york-jets-gm-search-marches-on/

No grasp on the salary cap = Football Man, right? 

using a top 5 pick on an OT is a solution in search of a problem. The Jets just rushed for 277 yards against a team that knew it was coming. The OL is fine. There are about 20 teams where Brick would be welcomed, right now, with open arms. is he perfect, no but so far down the list of "problems" it's not even worth talking about.

I agree bitonti. OL should be one of the last things we worry about. We need a QB and a secondary and at least another playmaker on offense.

They did not fire Rex when they fired Tannenbaum, but despite that there was still ambiguity at the time as to whether Woody would permit his firing if the incoming GM wanted to bring in his own guy. Woody apparently did not make it known that it was a non-negotiable condition until Gamble's 2nd interview.

Why else bring him in for a 2nd interview at all, if he did so poorly in the interview process to begin with? Because he didn't give a poor interview. Everything went well in the first interview, and all sides believed that a deal at that point was imminent. It was in the 2nd interview that Woody insisted the Rex condition was non-negotiable (as was a lesser-known condition, that Terry Bradway be kept on in his current role as well), so Gamble declined the job. It was after that the stories of him supposedly interviewing poorly came out…coincidence?

Anyway, regardless of which side you believe, it's all moot because in all likelihood that bridge is too badly burned at this point. Besides, it's not like he's the only guy out there who'd make a good GM (Wolf, DeCosta, etc).

Bullsh*t. The only ambiguity is in your head. Read those two links. Woody was completely behind Rex, and Rex had announced to his players on New Year's Eve -before Gamble's first interview- that he would absolutely be back for the 2013 season.

You're 100% wrong.

I found those links in a few seconds. You find the one where the Jets told Gamble in his second interview (which I'm not 100% sure he even had) about the Rex requirement after promising him another year the week before. I'll wait here.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8795617/new-york-jets-fire-mike-tannenbaum-rex-ryan-keep-job

Here is an article from January 2, 2013 that states that Rex Ryan was keeping his job.  You know, days before Gamble came in for his first interview.  Repeating sh*t and neg repping people does not change facts.  You still didn't explain why the ******* guy did not get an offer from the Jets, the Chargers, the Browns, the Chiefs or the Jaguars.  I mean he was turning down jobs left and right to take that coveted gig as VP of player personnel with Philly? I mean that is almost like GM, right? 

Rex fans have yet to explain why the mandate to keep Rex didn't make the job more appealing, btw.

More bullsh*t.

I want more than anything to drink beers in Rex's garage, shoot the sh*t, then go upstairs and bang his wife, but in no way, shape, or form did I ever suggest that the idea to keep him was beneficial to the GM hiring process. I just like the guy. If they keep him again, I'll get a little kick out of your reaction again, too (although, that ain't happening, lol).

Just like keeping Idzik now would be detrimental to the head coaching hiring process.

General Manager: X the GM position and give it to the head coach.

Head Coach/GM: Harbaugh 

Starting QB: Matt Simms 

Backup QB: Jameis Winston

#1/#2/#3 WR's:Decker/Harvin/Curly (we just gave them all contracts)

btw this is like straight up fantasy....We're effed.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8795617/new-york-jets-fire-mike-tannenbaum-rex-ryan-keep-job

Here is an article from January 2, 2013 that states that Rex Ryan was keeping his job.  You know, days before Gamble came in for his first interview.  Repeating sh*t and neg repping people does not change facts.  You still didn't explain why the ******* guy did not get an offer from the Jets, the Chargers, the Browns, the Chiefs or the Jaguars.  I mean he was turning down jobs left and right to take that coveted gig as VP of player personnel with Philly? I mean that is almost like GM, right? 

They didn't fire Rex when they fired Tannenbaum, this is all well known. But you've never heard of keeping a coach on in the event that a potential GM might be OK with keeping him, but also allowing him the latitude of firing him and bringing in his own guy if that's what he preferred?

And why are you naming teams that never interviewed Gamble, like the Browns or Chiefs? What is that supposed to prove? I don't understand the logic in that...

The Chargers signed a guy in Telesco (who looks like a damn good GM right now) who wouldn't even interview here…what does that prove? They picked someone over Gamble that viewed us as such a joke that we weren't even worth his time! And the Jags hired Caldwell, another guy the Jets wanted to hire (in the wake of the fallout from the Gamble debacle), and he chose the Jags job over us too!

So you're bashing Gamble for not getting jobs given to other guys who also turned us down? LOL

Edited to add - for everyone who wants Bill Polian to be involved with the interview process to hire our next GM, who do you think it was that recommended Gamble to the Jets to begin with? That's right - Bill Polian (they worked together in Indy).

They didn't fire Rex when they fired Tannenbaum, this is all well known. But you've never heard of keeping a coach on in the event that a potential GM might be OK with keeping him, but also allowing him the latitude of firing him and bringing in his own guy if that's what he preferred?

And why are you naming teams that never interviewed Gamble, like the Browns or Chiefs? What is that supposed to prove? I don't understand the logic in that...

The Chargers signed a guy in Telesco (who looks like a damn good GM right now) who wouldn't even interview here…what does that prove? They picked someone over Gamble that viewed us as such a joke that we weren't even worth his time! And the Jags hired Caldwell, another guy the Jets wanted to hire (in the wake of the fallout from the Gamble debacle), and he chose the Jags job over us too!

So you're bashing Gamble for not getting jobs given to other guys who also turned us down? LOL

Edited to add - for everyone who wants Bill Polian to be involved with the interview process to hire our next GM, who do you think it was that recommended Gamble to the Jets to begin with? That's right - Bill Polian (they worked together in Indy).

Gamble was a hot candidate.  The Niners were riding high and he didn't even get a promotion.  Why didn't he get a job?  He didn't get an interview with the Chiefs or Browns?  Why didn't he get an interview?  Did he turn them down?  He seems very picky. I agree on Polian.  I would rather they hire a football guy than a cap guy, so maybe Gamble would be a decent choice, but he tried to get a GM job and he didn't.  There is a reason and it isn't because he is the perfect candidate.  more than 1/4 the league swapped GMs and he didn't get a slot.  I knew they were keeping Rex, Slats knew they were keeping Rex, T0m knew they were keeping Rex, why wouldn't a guy going on an interview know it?  Read the ******* article. 

General Manager: harbaugh

Head Coach: harbaugh

Starting QB: journeyman. give me fitzpatrick, orton, matt moore type.

Backup QB: mariota

#1/#2/#3 WR's: harvin, decker, kerley--with a QB that isn't worst in the league these guys aren't a bad unit

using a top 5 pick on an OT is a solution in search of a problem. The Jets just rushed for 277 yards against a team that knew it was coming. The OL is fine. There are about 20 teams where Brick would be welcomed, right now, with open arms.  is he perfect, no but so far down the list of "problems" it's not even worth talking about. 

I'm not replacing DBrick....I think we can get 1 more year out of him...maybe more with restructure.  I would play scheriff as RT for his rookie year.

And I disagree. The ol has been a huge problem for years now.

I'm not replacing DBrick....I think we can get 1 more year out of him...maybe more with restructure.  I would play scheriff as RT for his rookie year.

And I disagree. The ol has been a huge problem for years now.

Brick isn't really cuttable until 2016 (5 mil dead space), or 2017 really (1 mil dead space). 

http://overthecap.com/player/dbrickashaw-ferguson/983/

So he's got all the leverage for any sort of restructure convo. 

Breno, they can get rid of after next year.

http://overthecap.com/player/breno-giacomini/1533/

So you've got Brandon Scherff or Andrus Peat either learning guard or on the bench. not such a hot use of a top 5 pick. 

Brick isn't really cuttable until 2016 (5 mil dead space), or 2017 really (1 mil dead space). 

http://overthecap.com/player/dbrickashaw-ferguson/983/

So he's got all the leverage for any sort of restructure convo. 

Breno, they can get rid of after next year.

http://overthecap.com/player/breno-giacomini/1533/

So you've got Brandon Scherff or Andrus Peat either learning guard or on the bench. not such a hot use of a top 5 pick. 

No...breno sucks and needs to compete for the RG...I would go after lupati for LG..and put scherff or peat at RT.

This team has made some big mistakes over the last few years...I don't think we sh try to salvage everything as there is plenty of money to work with...further, solidifying the OL like this would serve at least 3 purpose

1. Help the transition to the next QB

2. Provide offense no matter who is under center

3. Make the jets at least watchable next year

Further, I would be looking for a really good blocking TE...Cumberland sucks and sh be number 3.   I like the kid on the Irish  Noyak or FA

what id love and is not impossible:

Gm: Decosta

Head Coach: Harbaugh

QB: Cutler

Backup: Mariotta, Cook, or Petty

WRs: Decker, Cobb, Harvin, Kerley

More likely:

GM; ? 

Head Coach: Todd Bowels or Bevell

QB: Locker or Bradford

QB 2 and 3: Cook/Petty, Geno

WRs: Decker, Harvin, Kerley, Shaq Evans (although if Bevell is coaching i doubt harvin will stay)

Jets didn't pass on him, he passed on the Jets after Woody insisted he keep Rex.

Chargers were busy hiring Tom Telesco, who refused to even interview here after the Rex requirement became widely known.

Browns requested an interview with him, but he never actually interviewed there; they hired Farmer before any interview took place.

Please stop.. 

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter

49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble turned down chance for 2nd interview w/ Jaguars to concentrate on trying to land Jets GM job.

8:31 AM - 5 Jan 2013

Please stop.. 

Adam SchefterVerified account ‏@AdamSchefter

49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble turned down chance for 2nd interview w/ Jaguars to concentrate on trying to land Jets GM job.

8:31 AM - 5 Jan 2013

That was after the first interview but before the second interview, as I've stated ad nauseam.

Woody made it known during the second interview that retaining Rex (as well as Bradway) was a non-negotiable condition (while he didn't fire Rex with Tannenbaum, at the time there was the thought that if a GM was insistent that he wanted his own guy, Rex wasn't untouchable, so to speak), after which Gamble said he was no longer interested. Shortly after that, the story leaks that he "had a bad interview" - funny, if he was so bad, why did they invite him back for a follow-up interview to seal the deal?

It's funny, the only ones digging their heels in over this are the Rex homers…quelle surprise.

That was after the first interview but before the second interview, as I've stated ad nauseam.

Woody made it known during the second interview that retaining Rex (as well as Bradway) was a non-negotiable condition (while he didn't fire Rex with Tannenbaum, at the time there was the thought that if a GM was insistent that he wanted his own guy, Rex wasn't untouchable, so to speak), after which Gamble said he was no longer interested. Shortly after that, the story leaks that he "had a bad interview" - funny, if he was so bad, why did they invite him back for a follow-up interview to seal the deal?

It's funny, the only ones digging their heels in over this are the Rex homers…quelle surprise.

dude.  People are producing an avalanche of evidence directly contradicting what you're saying and all you've got is a supposed recollection of what transpired. 

If what you say is true how come you can't find one lousy tweet or article supporting your case?  Google is free.

This thread is way too much to read through, but I think you have him mistaken for Caldwell. Caldwell is the one that turned the Jets down after he learned Rex was not up for debate, despite the ludicrous offer that Woody made him.

This thread is way too much to read through, but I think you have him mistaken for Caldwell. Caldwell is the one that turned the Jets down after he learned Rex was not up for debate, despite the ludicrous offer that Woody made him.

Which turned out to be a genius move.  Caldwell has turned the Jags into a finely tuned machine.

Actually, Caldwell never came in for a second interview, but I'm tired of going back and forth with these 3 or 4 (slats especially) who make an issue out of it every time the name 'Gamble' is mentioned, even in an unrelated capacity (the entire point of this thread was to name a GM who you'd like to see brought onboard, and when I mentioned Gamble - in part due to his pre-existing relationship with the HC I said I'd like to see brought onboard, Harbaugh - slats decides to rehash this entire matter, as he always does).

When Tannenbaum was fired, Woody said that Rex would stay - but the belief was if they liked a GM candidate enough and he insisted on bringing in his own guy, that Woody wasn't inflexible on the requirement; however, in the 2nd Gamble interview, the fact that it was indeed a non-negotiable condition (as well as a lesser known requirement to keep on Bradway in his current role) was made known to Gamble. None of the articles posted in this thread contradict any of this.

Who?

Try to be realistic (i.e. please don't say "Bill Cowher and Peyton Manning!  WhoooOO!!!!!).

What, realistically, can we hope our Franchise presents to us on opening day 2015, as these spots:

General Manager:

Head Coach:

Starting QB:

Backup QB:

#1/#2/#3 WR's:

Given where we are today, we may as well start looking at the likely/hopeful future, and who we'll be rooting for (potentially) in 2015.

I'll play...

GM:  Elliot Wolf

HC: Tom Clements

QB: Geno with the heir apparent drafted in the early rounds

WRs: Decker, Percy, Cooper

While I agree that we shouldn't use a top five pick on OL, the Oline is far from fine. If we replace Rex with an offensive HC the passing game will get more attention, our Qb's will get killed . I think we need at least 2 FA picks on the oline and some more depth in the draft .

I'll play...

GM:  Elliot Wolf

HC: Tom Clements

QB: Geno with the heir apparent drafted in the early rounds

WRs: Decker, Percy, Cooper

I love Wolf, he's in my top 3 along with Gamble and DeCosta - and since the latter two are unlikely to come here for a myriad of reasons, Wolf could be the best "gettable" candidate out there.

General Manager:  Eliot Wolf Green Bay Packers Director of Pro Personnel

Head Coach:  Bill Lazor Miami Dolphins Offensive Coordinator

Starting QB:  Marcus Mariota

Backup QB:  Bo Wallace

Starting RB:  Chris Ivory

Backup RB:  Jay Ajayi

WRs:  Same

Archived