Yankees land SS Didi Gregorius in 3 team deal.

Jetlife33

Yankees send Shane Greene to Detroit and Arizona will be getting two players from the Tigers. A quote from Kevin Towers a few years back " He reminds me of a young Derek Jeter" I actually like Greene but Gregorius is a 24 year old defensive stud. He needs to work on his hitting however.

Yankees To Acquire Didi Gregorius In Three-Team Deal With D-Backs, Tigers

10:07am: Infielder Domingo Leyba will also head to the Diamondbacks in the trade, reports Morosi (on Twitter). Leyba was recently ranked fifth among Detroit farmhands by Baseball America.

9:39am: Jon Morosi of FOX Sports tweets that the second player heading to Arizona will be an infielder.

9:21am: The Yankees, Diamondbacks and Tigers have completed a three-team trade that will send Didi Gregorius to the Yankees, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter link). Rosenthal adds that Robbie Ray will indeed go from the Tigers to the Diamondbacks and Shane Greene will be heading to the Tigers. WFAN’s Sweeny Murti first reported the potential framework and noted that Greene would head to Detroit if the deal were to be completed. Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic first tweeted that Ray could be headed to Arizona.

"<strongDidi Gregorius” width=”244″ height=”300″ />

Gregorius, who turns 25 in February, has a good defensive reputation but comes with some question marks regarding his bat. In his age-24 season with the D-Backs, Gregorius batted .226/.290/.363 with six homers and three steals in 299 plate appearances. Overall, he’s compiled a .243/.313/.366 batting line over parts of three seasons in the Majors, showing stretches of offensive potential at times. For instance, Gregorius batted .275/.341/.403 in the first half of the 2013 season with a reasonable .313 BABIP, suggesting that his production wasn’t inflated heavily by luck. However, he followed that up with a .207/.314/.314 second half. He’ll obviously have large shoes to fill in New York as the Yankees hope that he can be a long-term replacement to Derek Jeter. Gregorius is controlled through the 2019 season, giving the Yankees at least five full seasons of his services if he proves that he can handle the job.

Greene is a candidate to immediately fill the fifth slot in the Tigers’ rotation behind David Price, Justin Verlander, Anibal Sanchez and Rick Porcello. The 26-year-old had an impressive debut with the Yankees in 2014, making 15 appearances (14 starts) and posting a 3.78 ERA (3.73 FIP, 3.40 xFIP, 3.41 SIERA) with 9.3 K/9, 3.3 BB/9 and a 50.2 percent ground-ball rate in 78 2/3 innings. Greene averaged a solid 93.1 mph on his fastball last year and gives the Tigers a piece they can potentially control in the long-term, with Price and Porcello set to hit free agency next winter. Greene is controllable through the 2020 season.

The Diamondbacks are dealing from a position of depth, as they had a number of shortstop options in 2015, with Gregorius, Chris Owings and Nick Ahmed all representing controllable possibilities, and the veteran Cliff Pennington serving as a one-year option before hitting the open market next winter. With this move, Owings will presumably be penciled in as the everyday shortstop and will team with Aaron Hill to form the Diamondbacks’ double-play tandem.

Arizona is known to be seeking rotation options for the 2015 season this winter, and in landing Ray, they’d be acquiring an arm that has a bit of MLB experience and could soon step into the rotation. Ray, who turned 23 in October, made nine appearances in Detroit this season but allowed 26 runs in 28 2/3 innings. He also struggled, to an extent, in Triple-A last year, pitching to a 4.22 ERA with 6.7 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9. However, he’s one year removed from being regarded highly enough by the Tigers to serve as the centerpiece in their trade of Doug Fister to the Nationals.

For the Yankees, this places an even larger need on acquiring starting pitching, either via free agency or trade, this offseason. Greene’s departure leaves New York with Masahiro Tanaka (whose elbow health is up in the air), CC Sabathia (coming off knee surgery), Ivan Nova (coming off Tommy John surgery), Michael Pineda (who has been plagued by shoulder problems) and David Phelps as potential rotation pieces. The decision to move Greene in order to address shortstop isn’t necessarily the result of a faulty thought process, however. The free agent and trade markets are both stacked with starting pitching options this winter, while there’s little in the way of shortstop talent available (particularly if one feels that Asdrubal Cabrera and Jed Lowrie are better equipped to play second base). Gregorius will team with Martin Prado either up the middle or on the left side of the infield (depending on how New York’s pursuit of Chase Headley ultimately concludes), with Mark Teixeira hoping to return to health at first base. If they elect to use Prado at third and give Rob Refsnyder a shot at second base, as the Post’s George A. King III and others have speculated, then it stands to reason that the primary focus from this point forth will be pitching upgrades, both in the rotation and in the bullpen.

I like the move. Young shortstop with upside who's controlled through the 2019 season. He was a highly touted prospect in the Reds system. They traded him in the deal that brought them Choo. Lefty bat, Yankee stadium, etc. I liked Greene but this is a deal I would've made.

It's not looking good for a Headley return. According to Rosenthal the Giants are aggressively pursuing him. From the sounds of it Prado will play 3rd, Didi at SS and Robert Refsnyder will be called up to play 2nd. Our SS and 2B will both be 24 years old if this happens.

Not very exciting trade, but solid. What was the alternative? Sign Lowrie or re-sign Drew for $10 million a year? No thanks, Didi is a better alternative at league minimum and under control for 5 more years.

trade for Tulo and pay him to play 110 games a year at SS

Shane Greene has good stuff and looked good for us last year and we traded him away for another guy who isn't going to hit in our lineup. Awesome Brian.

Trading Greene for Didi was a no brainer. We dont have anyone in the organization who can start at SS, we have plenty of 5th starters. Greene is 26 old, hes been in our system for 6 years and is only a 2 pitch pitcher. I think we traded when his value was his highest, and I suspect hes gonna wind up in the bullpen when starting is ruled out. Actually think he would do well in the pen with his whip out slider.

Check this out:

http://youtu.be/Z3t4tiehbIc

Trading Greene for Didi was a no brainer. We dont have anyone in the organization who can start at SS, we have plenty of 5th starters. Greene is 26 old, hes been in our system for 6 years and is only a 2 pitch pitcher. I think we traded when his value was his highest, and I suspect hes gonna wind up in the bullpen when starting is ruled out. Actually think he would do well in the pen with his whip out slider.

Check this out:http://youtu.be/Z3t4tiehbIc

You can never have enough pitching and gregorious can't hit. Shortstops aren't that hard to find especially ones who can't break .300 OBP.

One of those clever trades that will be appreciated in time. Gregorious is quality, and could/should hit better in lefty friendly Yankee Stadium.

There's been a flurry of these small, role player moves that I like this offseason. The Crow/Flynn swap by the Royals and Marlins...The Fuentes pickup by the Royals...Dodgers claim Lavarnway...I'm curious about Smoak in Toronto...liked the Saunders/Happ trade for both sides...

You can never have enough pitching and gregorious can't hit. Shortstops aren't that hard to find especially ones who can't break .300 OBP.

dont agree with that at all, particularly ones who can field like Didi. Didi still has some room to improve when it comes to hitting, either way its worth a shot. Who would you start at SS btw? Because we had no one currently in the system ready to play the position.

dont agree with that at all, particularly ones who can field like Didi. Didi still has some room to improve when it comes to hitting, either way its worth a shot. Who would you start at SS btw? Because we had no one currently in the system ready to play the position.

The Mets could have had Gregorius for Syndergaard as it is reported. The Mets did not think that he is better than what they have in Wilmer Flores, even with is lack of range (Flores).

The Mets could have had Gregorius for Syndergaard as it is reported. The Mets did not think that he is better than what they have in Wilmer Flores, even with is lack of range (Flores).

well i think we both would agree shane greene isnt noah syndergaard. Flores cant play the position and isnt worth discussing. Mets will get their SS, it wasnt a Didi or Flores disucssion.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/7/2014 at 7:51 PM, SenorGato said:

One of those clever trades that will be appreciated in time. Gregorious is quality, and could/should hit better in lefty friendly Yankee Stadium.

There's been a flurry of these small, role player moves that I like this offseason. The Crow/Flynn swap by the Royals and Marlins...The Fuentes pickup by the Royals...Dodgers claim Lavarnway...I'm curious about Smoak in Toronto...liked the Saunders/Happ trade for both sides...

Man is that the truth!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived