Mariotta was a beast last night

Kleckineau

You can do worse than Mariota and Winston. If Connor Cook comes out (which he probably won't), I think it's a respectable class. 

True, bit I don't think I'm using a top 5 pick on either. I think Winston projects the best at the NFL level....but he's a dumbass. Mariotta...idk- nice athlete...but that offense is so difficult to asses, especially at the QB spot.  Oregon's QB's always put up gaudy stats.

Ummm we shall see, the AZ offense was putrid, which kept AZ defense on the field entire game. MM looks like Wilson, not a great pocket passer

defense controls it's own destiny.  make a stop and get off the field.   

mariota has unreal poise and pocket presence.  very accurate as well.  great decision maker.  can't be rattled.  they just don't run a pro-style offense with a lot of deep drops and long developing routes.  

defense controls it's own destiny.  make a stop and get off the field.   

mariota has unreal poise and pocket presence.  very accurate as well.  great decision maker.  can't be rattled.  they just don't run a pro-style offense with a lot of deep drops and long developing routes.  

I just do not see him as a star, Could be an Alex Smith type , not a top 10 talent imo

I just do not see him as a star, Could be an Alex Smith type , not a top 10 talent imo

In an 80's style offense, I would agree.  If he gets paired up with a HC that is smart enough to run an offense that suits him, he will be a star.  The main concern for me is if he can be wise with his runs and slide.  He has to stay healthy

If chip kelly got his hands on him he would be unreal in the NFL

He is definitely coming out. 

Such a terrible QB draft. Winston may drop down to mid to late first and Mariotta is going to get ripped more then people think during the process. He will still go top 5 but QB's with his style bust often. Remember Geno Smith 2 years ago was projected number 1 at this time, and Bridgewater the same last year. Both fell dramatically after the season ended.  

I dunno, I was more apt to believe the foresight of Starscream, at least he had a mind of his own, unlike the how-can-I-serve-you sheep that Shockwave is.  

True, bit I don't think I'm using a top 5 pick on either. I think Winston projects the best at the NFL level....but he's a dumbass. Mariotta...idk- nice athlete...but that offense is so difficult to asses, especially at the QB spot.  Oregon's QB's always put up gaudy stats.

Agreed. Using a top 5 pick one someone who doesn't come from a pro-style offense is akin to playing the lottery. You might get lucky but odds are you're going to lose. Mariotta certainly has all the skills you look for, but who knows if he'll be able to translate his college success to the pros. 

Winston has all the tools you look for and the experience coming from a pro-style offense. His mechanics are all out of whack, which he'll need to clean up if wants to make it at the next level. The good news is that his mechanical flaws seem fixable. He doesn't need a complete overhaul like a Tebow/David Carr/Vince Young, he  just needs to tweak and refine some things.

He looks much better out of the pocket.  Was not impressed by his first half play. Some poorly thrown balls before half time. 

Watched him for the first time last night, not sure what all the hype is about. That illegal forward pass was pretty cool. 

All these people blasting Mariota, saying that this is a crap qb class, oddly reminds me of last year. When people were blasting Carr and Bridgewater, saying that they sucked.

Would've been nice to have either of them.

Bridgewater sucks.

I dunno, I was more apt to believe the foresight of Starscream, at least he had a mind of his own, unlike the how-can-I-serve-you sheep that Shockwave is.  

I don't think the projection of Winston falling to the mid-late first is being said by anyone else?  I see him in the 20 range. 

I am definitely a Mariotta guy. I hope he we lose out, and get the second pick.  Because if we get the second pick I think we are getting him. Raiders will take a DE.  To me hes a top 2-3 pick in this draft regardless of the offseason. 

During the draft process QB's are scrutinized more then any other position. We can talk about players that dropped like Leinart, Geno, Aaron Rodgers and Bridgewater that dropped after projected at the number 1 pick. Then theres guys that probably should have went higher like Flacco and Russell Wilson. Its just the nature of the beast. Remember Bridgewater's Pro day? has anyone seen a bigger overreaction? 

I don't think the projection of Winston falling to the mid-late first is being said by anyone else?  I see him in the 20 range. 

I am definitely a Mariotta guy. I hope he we lose out, and get the second pick.  Because if we get the second pick I think we are getting him. Raiders will take a DE.  To me hes a top 2-3 pick in this draft regardless of the offseason. 

During the draft process QB's are scrutinized more then any other position. We can talk about players that dropped like Leinart, Geno, Aaron Rodgers and Bridgewater that dropped after projected at the number 1 pick. Then theres guys that probably should have went higher like Flacco and Russell Wilson. Its just the nature of the beast. Remember Bridgewater's Pro day? has anyone seen a bigger overreaction? 

Putting aside that the whole draft community is a bunch of parroting hacks who mostly don't know who's going where, you cannot use pre- & early-season prognostications and compare them to where players are eventually drafted as some sort of soothsayery. Nothing that's predicted until the season is over really holds any merit.

Might be time to give up on the illusion that the "running QB" works in the NFL, even with Wilson's success.

I think we've been having this exact conversation since it first became trendy and the results were exactly as predicted.  NFL defenses either figured it our or the players got hurt and what we were left with was a sub-par QB, who abandons the pocket too early and cannot operate in a traditional offense. There's a line between being a running QB and a mobile QB and I'm not sure where Mariotta lies.  I still draft him obviously, but I would prefer Winston or Cook, just because I don't like running to be a giant fraction of what my QB does.

Putting aside that the whole draft community is a bunch of parroting hacks who mostly don't know who's going where, you cannot use pre- & early-season prognostications and compare them to where players are eventually drafted as some sort of soothsayery. Nothing that's predicted until the season is over really holds any merit.

2014 Postseason Mock of Bridgewater as the number 1 pick. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-drafts/charles-davis/175603

2013 Postseason Mock of Geno as the number 1 pick. 

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/1/14/3874440/2013-nfl-mock-draft

We really start seeing where players will end a week or two before the draft. However players values do change throughout the process in the public eye as well as behind closed doors in NFL Front offices. But even during the college season guys are out there falling in love with players and it does affect where they end up. 

For example Idzik had been following Calvin Pryor specifically since Last October. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/18th-pick-gang-green-selects-louisville-db-pryor-article-1.1785577

2014 Postseason Mock of Bridgewater as the number 1 pick. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/mock-drafts/charles-davis/175603

2013 Postseason Mock of Geno as the number 1 pick. 

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/1/14/3874440/2013-nfl-mock-draft

We really start seeing where players will end a week or two before the draft. However players values do change throughout the process in the public eye as well as behind closed doors in NFL Front offices. But even during the college season guys are out there falling in love with players and it does affect where they end up. 

For example Idzik had been following Calvin Pryor specifically since Last October. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/18th-pick-gang-green-selects-louisville-db-pryor-article-1.1785577

All of those are still prior to the combine, pro-days and all-star games that really help shake things out. Team's bigboards are not constructed in January.  I may not have made it clear, but the only time I'll trust a "mock draft" is on the day of the draft where sources may be leaked, other than that, most of these pundits have almost negative predictive ability. 

I think we've been having this exact conversation since it first became trendy and the results were exactly as predicted.  NFL defenses either figured it our or the players got hurt and what we were left with was a sub-par QB, who abandons the pocket too early and cannot operate in a traditional offense. There's a line between being a running QB and a mobile QB and I'm not sure where Mariotta lies.  I still draft him obviously, but I would prefer Winston or Cook, just because I don't like running to be a giant fraction of what my QB does.

+1. Both of those QBs are mobile enough to slide around in the pocket, and throw on the run too. 

That's not inconceivable considering the Raiders badly need D-line help. I'd make that trade, and use the $ saved not signing Mo by going after Suh and giving him a deal like Tampa just gave McCoy.

Would be great if we could pull it off and have 2 first rounders, and would be great to have Suh.

He is way closer to Russel Wilson than Luck, wait until he plays a real defense

All I've seen you post is Mariota hate. Week 2 vs Michigan St.

17/28 for 318 yds 3TD, 0INT and 42 rush yards.

MSU was one of the top defenses this year and in years past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived