Sean Payton on Way Out?

BlakeSpenceBlockedPunt

If Payton gets shown the door, the Giants will scoop him up in a heartbeat. It kinda sucks that not only do the Jets have to compete vs the likes of other cities with head coaching openings ( San Fran, Chicago, etc) we have to compete with the Giants as well.

Your right. 

Would really love Payton. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's why I said the stupidest thing Woody ever did was going in on a Stadium with the Giants .... The Jets had an Identity when they played at Shea I had season tickets back then and it was much different when we moved to Giants stadium I gave up my tickets as did many. This team has no identity and no face of the franchise and we wont until we win the SB other than that we always take a back seat to the god damn Giants

The Mafia body dumping ground and Auto Salvage yards next to Citifield including all the environmentally toxic soil under the ground that the Mayor and Borough President promised the Jets would be cleared and cleaned for their new Queens Stadium first in 1989 and then again in 2006 have still not been cleared and cleaned as of December 2014. Check back in 2027 to see if Pipe Dream Stadium is any closer than the same old artists conception.

Real World. Once corrupt criminal Sheldon Silver pocketed that 10 million dollar bribe from the equally filthy Dolans to unilaterally kill the WSS, Met Life was the ONLY rational option

Seems like baseless speculation to me. Nothing in the Louisiana media has suggested this. Longhaired Rex will be gone at season's end and perhaps a few assistants and players will go with him. That will be the extent of the Saints' shakeup for now, however, the end is definitely getting closer for Payton in New Orleans. Brees doesn't have many years left and is already showing signs of regression. I don't see the Vicodin popping Juicy Fruit chewer hanging around through the complete rebuild that team will undergo in the next 3 years or so. I'd expect him to go into broadcasting until the right situation opened up, aka a team with an established franchise QB.

Dallas.

Isn't that where his family still lives?

Rex is just like his brother, give him great players and he produces, if not the D will suck other than stopping the run in a passing league.  Rex proved this year to me he is not the great guru people think, he had below avg talent in the secondary and we got destroyed as a result of it.

When your starting CBs are an UDFA and a college LB, you're going to get torn apart, regardless of who your defensive coordinator is.

Lovin T0m's love of Idzik and hate of Rex.

Can you blame the guy?  Idzik deserves the benefit of the doubt here...you can't expect  a guy to hit on every player he drafts.  As long as he nails one out of every 20 picks, the foundation will be set.

Another fact - Rex can only stop the run, not the pass.  Never mind that his D's were top 5 against the pass from 2009-2012.  I'm sure the monstrous decline in corner play had nothing to do with that. 

rex is a good DC. emotions are high right now so i can understand some of the "rex is terrible at everything" mantra, and I have said some things too about his defense being underperforming (("how many first round draft picks does a 'genius' need to field an above-average defense?"), but a team would be lucky to have him as DC. maybe--MAYBE--one day he will be ready for another crack at HC, lots of coaches learn from the mistakes of their first HC gig. But he needs a cooling off period IMHO.

Payton is from the Parcells tree. Can't go wrong there. I would hire him in a NY minute and let him hire a hot shot DC NOT named Ryan and let him go to work. Of course if Iggy is fired -which I pray he is - Jets next GM would have to approve of him or else it is the same situation as with Iggy-Rex.

Could Parcells be of assistance here?

Parcells team president

Payton head coach

Moriata QB

Me: hard on all offseason

Parcells is 73 years old, he probably doesn't get hard-ons with much frequency himself, anymore. And I think he demonstrated how much he enjoyed working for Woody when he quit on him the first time. This is really one of those things that will never, ever happen, and that's okay.

Payton is from the Parcells tree. Can't go wrong there. I would hire him in a NY minute and let him hire a hot shot DC NOT named Ryan and let him go to work. Of course if Iggy is fired -which I pray he is - Jets next GM would have to approve of him or else it is the same situation as with Iggy-Rex.

Crennel is from the Parcells coaching tree.  Mangini is from the Parcells coaching tree.  Handley is from the Parcells coaching tree.  Sparano is from the Parcells coaching tree.  Can't go wrong there.  

Seems like baseless speculation to me. Nothing in the Louisiana media has suggested this. Longhaired Rex will be gone at season's end and perhaps a few assistants and players will go with him. That will be the extent of the Saints' shakeup for now, however, the end is definitely getting closer for Payton in New Orleans. Brees doesn't have many years left and is already showing signs of regression. I don't see the Vicodin popping Juicy Fruit chewer hanging around through the complete rebuild that team will undergo in the next 3 years or so. I'd expect him to go into broadcasting until the right situation opened up, aka a team with an established franchise QB.

What up Troll!

When your starting CBs are an UDFA and a college LB, you're going to get torn apart, regardless of who your defensive coordinator is.

Especially when your coach for the 1st number of games refuses to actually try and protect these guys.  Yeah give Rex Revis and Cromartie and he's a pretty good coach alright.   Just as I said give him great players he looks pretty good, give him anything less and he gets shreddd just like any other dcoordiantor, thus he is nothing too special in the grand scheme of things,.

Not a lot, man. Just trying to will myself to care enough about the Jets again to post here. Where have you gone, Vinny Testaverde? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

Good to see you on here. If only we sucked enough last year to land Odell.

If Payton gets shown the door, the Giants will scoop him up in a heartbeat. It kinda sucks that not only do the Jets have to compete vs the likes of other cities with head coaching openings ( San Fran, Chicago, etc) we have to compete with the Giants as well.

If the Giants fire Coughlin, I'd happily take him on the Jets.

rex is a good DC. emotions are high right now so i can understand some of the "rex is terrible at everything" mantra, and I have said some things too about his defense being underperforming (("how many first round draft picks does a 'genius' need to field an above-average defense?"), but a team would be lucky to have him as DC. maybe--MAYBE--one day he will be ready for another crack at HC, lots of coaches learn from the mistakes of their first HC gig. But he needs a cooling off period IMHO.

You pretty much  nailed it here.  I've been fine with Rex leaving for some time now but I'm always defensive of him because everyone has gone completely insane.  To say he had nothing to do with the success he had when he got here couldn't be a bigger lie.  He took "Mangini's team" from what, 18th to 1st in total defense?  People completely dismiss the fact that Rex brought in Bart Scott and  Jim Leonhard to run that defense the way he wanted it to be run and it pissed off some of Mangini's guys.  Rex did it anyway, and it produced great results.  Rex has some things to learn and I wanted him to stick around hoping he'd learn those things while he was here.  He didn't, and perhaps getting fired will be the wake up call he needs in order to realize it's a good thing to hold players accountable when they screw up.  Sometimes I wonder if he's over compensating for his old man who was absolutely brutal to his players and treated them like garbage.  Rex has to find that middle ground between too much of a D*ck and too much of a friend.

That's why I said the stupidest thing Woody ever did was going in on a Stadium with the Giants .... The Jets had an Identity when they played at Shea I had season tickets back then and it was much different when we moved to Giants stadium I gave up my tickets as did many. This team has no identity and no face of the franchise and we wont until we win the SB other than that we always take a back seat to the god damn Giants

I don't really think NFL coaches care about this in the least.  Besides, does it really make sense to build a separate stadium when football teams need the stadium at most 13 days a year (2-3 preseason, 8 regular season, and at most 2 post-season games)

FWIW, to be fair, I would not call Payton coming from "the Parcells tree."  Sure he coached for the Giants, but it was under Fassel, not Parcells.  He was under Parcells with the Cowboys, but that was after working under Fassel and Gruden and Ray Rhodes (alongside Callahan) on the Eagles.  He also was RB coach at SD State when Faulk was there. I didn't know about that (or remember that he was with Gruden and Callahan on that Eagles staff) but I knew he was a Fassel guy, not a Tuna guy with the Giants.  

He's a unwitting accomplice to crimes that Woody Johnson commits, the principal one being to keep a loser coach employed well past his expiration date.

Last I knew, it was Iddy drafting the "dirty dozen", Amaro looks to be the only one which may be serviceable.

He's a unwitting accomplice to crimes that Woody Johnson commits, the principal one being to keep a loser coach employed well past his expiration date.

Then why did this loser take the job in the first place? Answer: Because he's only qualified to be a capologist and only Woody is stupid enough to commit the crime of hiring him as a GM.

You pretty much nailed it here. I've been fine with Rex leaving for some time now but I'm always defensive of him because everyone has gone completely insane. To say he had nothing to do with the success he had when he got here couldn't be a bigger lie. He took "Mangini's team" from what, 18th to 1st in total defense? People completely dismiss the fact that Rex brought in Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard to run that defense the way he wanted it to be run and it pissed off some of Mangini's guys. Rex did it anyway, and it produced great results. Rex has some things to learn and I wanted him to stick around hoping he'd learn those things while he was here. He didn't, and perhaps getting fired will be the wake up call he needs in order to realize it's a good thing to hold players accountable when they screw up. Sometimes I wonder if he's over compensating for his old man who was absolutely brutal to his players and treated them like garbage. Rex has to find that middle ground between too much of a D*ck and too much of a friend.

Good post. I think Rex needs to take a year off and really learn about the offense side of things in addition to looking to improve in other areas. He'll get another shot but Rex will need to have a lot of early success.

Archived