Cubs sign Lester, biiiiiitches

SenorGato

Too big for the bsaeball forum.

Story broken by Ken Rosenthal. 6/155. Solid as 6 years is as high as I go on a FA pitcher until Fujinami and Otani show up (even then!).

Jets will need to trump by landing Harbaugh, Iupati, and Vernon Davis is one fell swoop during their offseason.

Congrats Gato, real happy hes not back in Boston, whos now rotation is now led by laptop theif Clay Buchholz. There gonna now be for forced to send some blue chip prospects to Philly for Cole Hamels.

The Cubs should trade for Hamels too because Theo Epstein is back.

Cubs are set to throw Lester and Arrieta in games 1 (first game of the MLB's season) and game 2 against the Cardinals. Lester vs. Wainwright for a Wrigley night game...going to be huge.

BTW this is definitely a football thread. Jets need to mimic their fellow loser franchise and start paying for high quality stuff. Ryan's one of the lowest paid head coaches in the league and - surprise - turns out he's also one of the worst. //sufficientfootballtiein

In lesser news - we also got his catcher yesterday: 

Cubs get their catcher, acquiring Miguel Montero in trade with D-backs

By Mike Oz14 hours agoBig League Stew

Chicago is the center of the baseball universe right now, as Yahoo Sports' Tim Brown wrote Tuesday. So, Miguel Montero, come on down, you're the next guy coming to the center of the universe.

It's the Chicago Cubs making a trade this time, acquiring Montero, the catcher they needed, from the Arizona Diamondbacks. It's a trade that had been talked about since Monday night, with our own Jeff Passan sharing some of the terms in play — mainly, the Cubs have to pay almost all of the $40 million owed to Montero over the next three seasons. Fox Sports' Jon Morosi was the first to report the deal was finalized.

The Cubs are OK taking on the contract because they missed out on free agent Russell Martin, and Montero has shown he could be a useful offensive player, just not recently. In 2011, for instance, Montero was an All-Star, hitting .282 with 18 homers and 86 RBIs. Last season, that batting average slipped to .243, while his OPS fell to .699 from .829 in 2012. Montero's 31, so the Cubs hope he can rebound in a new city and in a lineup full of young hitters.

For the Diamondbacks, this was mostly a contract-shedding moving. They're getting two low-level prospects in return: pitchers Jeferson Mejia and Zack Godley, according to Nick Piecoro at the Arizona Republic.

Mejia is a 20-year-old from the Dominican Republic who pitched 40 innings in the Arizona League for the Cubs last year with a 2.48 ERA. Godley is 24 and had a 3.09 ERA in 40 Single-A appearances last year. He was drafted in the 10th round in 2013.

The Cubs still have work to do. Pitching mostly. But now they've got the guy those pitchers would be throwing the ball to and, at least, they didn't pay $82 million to get him.

This is almost as strange as his Goodfellas and George Orwell posts. Almost.

Still SMH about his strong vote to keep McGaughey in the "who gets sh!tcanned" thread.

But because he is a fellow Cub fan - I'm forgetting all about that. 

In lesser news - we also got his catcher yesterday:

Cubs get their catcher, acquiring Miguel Montero in trade with D-backs

By Mike Oz14 hours agoBig League Stew

Chicago is the center of the baseball universe right now, as Yahoo Sports' Tim Brown wrote Tuesday. So, Miguel Montero, come on down, you're the next guy coming to the center of the universe.

It's the Chicago Cubs making a trade this time, acquiring Montero, the catcher they needed, from the Arizona Diamondbacks. It's a trade that had been talked about since Monday night, with our own Jeff Passan sharing some of the terms in play — mainly, the Cubs have to pay almost all of the $40 million owed to Montero over the next three seasons. Fox Sports' Jon Morosi was the first to report the deal was finalized.

The Cubs are OK taking on the contract because they missed out on free agent Russell Martin, and Montero has shown he could be a useful offensive player, just not recently. In 2011, for instance, Montero was an All-Star, hitting .282 with 18 homers and 86 RBIs. Last season, that batting average slipped to .243, while his OPS fell to .699 from .829 in 2012. Montero's 31, so the Cubs hope he can rebound in a new city and in a lineup full of young hitters.

For the Diamondbacks, this was mostly a contract-shedding moving. They're getting two low-level prospects in return: pitchers Jeferson Mejia and Zack Godley, according to Nick Piecoro at the Arizona Republic.

Mejia is a 20-year-old from the Dominican Republic who pitched 40 innings in the Arizona League for the Cubs last year with a 2.48 ERA. Godley is 24 and had a 3.09 ERA in 40 Single-A appearances last year. He was drafted in the 10th round in 2013.

The Cubs still have work to do. Pitching mostly. But now they've got the guy those pitchers would be throwing the ball to and, at least, they didn't pay $82 million to get him.

Actually, it looks like Montero will be everyone else's catcher. Cubs making a push for David Ross and looking to trade Castillo.

Still SMH about his strong vote to keep McGaughey in the "who gets sh!tcanned" thread.

But because he is a fellow Cub fan - I'm forgetting all about that. 

Whooooa...I took that vote back! Everyone needs to make way for Harbaugh and staff.

I wonder what I said about Goodfellas?

This will make the Cubs like in teh 70's-Hold a division lead until June, then fade in the summer heat ;)

The Cubs get lights at Wrigley Field

On Aug. 8, 1988, the lights go on in Wrigley Field, which had been the only major league park where night games were not played. (Chicago Tribune photo by Frank Hanes) 

Wouldn't let me post the picture for some reason, Dierk - but they're there.
Was there for the first night one and many since.

The Cubs get lights at Wrigley Field

On Aug. 8, 1988, the lights go on in Wrigley Field, which had been the only major league park where night games were not played. (Chicago Tribune photo by Frank Hanes) 

Wouldn't let me post the picture for some reason, Dierk - but they're there

It's not the lights, or the day games.

It's the propensity for the notorious Wrigley winds to blow in during April and May, and then blow out in June, July and August. Takes a toll on a pitching staff at times.

It's not the lights, or the day games.

It's the propensity for the notorious Wrigley winds to blow in during April and May, and then blow out in June, July and August. Takes a toll on a pitching staff at times.

Interesting theory, however these aren't those times.

Interesting theory, however these aren't those times.

We will see. I am positive that Bryant will be a good hitter. Interested to see what Soler can do. Baez did not excite me at all after seeing him last year.

A LOT of unknowns with those Cubbies, but I can understand and respect your excitement. Wish they still played in the East with the Mets

Cubs fans' reaction to this deal reminded me of Wide Eyed Jim Norton. They only got a taste of how far this franchise can go - its insane how low the bar was in the first place. I get that they've been snakebit before by the countless claims of rebuilding the right way by other FOs, but they seem to need convincing that the Cubs are a tippy top tier major market team with the potential to be the Yankees or Dodgers as far as spending/payroll is concerned.

Bill Burr's rant on Cubs fans was hysterical to me.

We will see. I am positive that Bryant will be a good hitter. Interested to see what Soler can do. Baez did not excite me at all after seeing him last year.

A LOT of unknowns with those Cubbies, but I can understand and respect your excitement. Wish they still played in the East with the Mets

As you know bro, I've drank the kool aid and projectile vomited it out many times.

Was at every Wrigley post season game that occurred after WWll until the Bartman Game and then returned the following night to witness the final choke.

Bank's 500th, first night game, about 20 games in the summer of 69 collapse  ... on and on.

I really don't expect it to be soup this year, but they have close to double digits of very sincere prospects that need only to generate a couple of OF slots to set them for the next 5-7 years.

They also haven't committed money to semi-lame pitching so we can buy a couple more guys if necessary and <drumroll> for the bonus plan - Joe Maddon to coach this relatively young group.  

I'm drinking the kool aid again - big glass.

I'm also concerned about Baez - inability to hit breaking stuff will get you out of this game quickly. Hopefully he's coach able.

Too big for the bsaeball forum.

Story broken by Ken Rosenthal. 6/155. Solid as 6 years is as high as I go on a FA pitcher until Fujinami and Otani show up (even then!).

Jets will need to trump by landing Harbaugh, Iupati, and Vernon Davis is one fell swoop during their offseason.

Congrats on this one. Big fan of Lester, he'll be fun to watch in Chicago.

Cubs fans' reaction to this deal reminded me of Wide Eyed Jim Norton. They only got a taste of how far this franchise can go - its insane how low the bar was in the first place. I get that they've been snakebit before by the countless claims of rebuilding the right way by other FOs, but they seem to need convincing that the Cubs are a tippy top tier major market team with the potential to be the Yankees or Dodgers as far as spending/payroll is concerned.

Bill Burr's rant on Cubs fans was hysterical to me.

I feel like there going to be more exciting the nationals when many sweated them because of Harper.

I think Baez will come along slow but when Bryant comes up it should be an exciting time as Im guessing they may already be close to a playoff spot.

Good news- Very underrated.

I was really hoping the cubs would have grabbed david robertson. There are a little weak back there. Im wondering if they will look to improve in the bullpen.

They are weak back there, not Kevin Gregg weak, but weak none the less. Don't know what Theo's plan is for that - but I'm sure he's got one. 

Archived