Woody Addresses Jets Future

JetNation

Lol. Are you being snarky here? I can't tell.

I don't think Idzik is going to get a chance to fire Rex. Woody's gonna fire Idzik, first.

“It’s not a question of fondness,” Johnson said. “I’ve always thought he’s a very good coach. He’s an excellent coach, excellent teacher. The fans are going to want to see something different. They’re not going to let us get along and I don’t want to do exactly the same thing. So it’s going to be either the way we coach or the way we approach it. It could be with the same people. It might be with different people. That’s the case each and every year.”

While two years is not very long to give a general manager to get his program in place, Johnson said, “I can’t really comment whether it is short or long. I’m a fan, I represent the fans, we’re both frustrated by this.”

When it was suggested that nobody’s job is secure, he said, “This is a results-oriented business. You try to put a package together to help you right the ship.” He added, “We evaluate everybody. Everybody in football is evaluated. It’s going to happen at the end of the year, that’s the way we normally do it. That’s the way most teams do it.”

He's not coming right out and saying it because he believes in making these moves after, not during, the season, but it's pretty clear that he feels changes are in order in both the coaching of the team and the way we approach it. As ambiguous as he's being, you don't make those changes in philosophy without making changes with the people involved.

Graves is the only name I remember. He shuffled a couple titles. I don't know what he did with the scouting department, if anything.

Not being snarky.  I missed the comma. Read it like this: 

While NY Jets owner Woody Johnson insists mind not made up on Rex Ryan.  John Idzik sounds like he's ready to wield ax

Hence my mistake.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nfl_u_nyjets1_sy_576.jpg

Kept the wrong guy, fired the wrong two guys.

You keep the GM that averaged 9.5 wins per year with a healthy quarterback since 1997, you keep the QB that won 4 playoff games when he should have been in college, you don't keep the buffoon who goes down in NFL history as the only head coach to retain his job after publicly admitting he doesn't know anything about offense nor does he care.

But I don't blame Woody Johnson. I blame you, Mr. Blue Collar Jets Fan. You drink in the parking lots and you curse in front of my children and you piss on my BMW and you were so embarassed by the Tebow signing and the Buttfumble and you look and act like Rex so Woody did you a solid.

Enjoying it?

SAR I

Here comes the "word police"!!!  The whole article can be wrapped up in the following:

- Woody identifies with the fans by stating he's feeling the same pain they are with 2-11

- He's not satisfied with the results

- He's examining all options

- Any changes will be made at the end of the season

Now EVERYONE will come out of the woodwork to bash the man for saying exactly

what he should.  People need to grow up!!!  Let the process play out and see what

Woody does first before you take him apart.  To me the biggest problem he has is

he's too loyal, on too many occasions he hangs onto people too long because of his

personal relationship with them.  Let's see if he has learned his lesson 

The way Woody handled this conversation made me like him more.

nfl_u_nyjets1_sy_576.jpg

You keep the GM that averaged 9.5 wins per year with a healthy quarterback since 1997, you keep the QB that won 4 playoff games when he should have been in college, you don't keep the buffoon who goes down in NFL history as the only head coach to retain his job after publicly admitting he doesn't know anything about offense nor does he care.

But I don't blame Woody Johnson. I blame you, Mr. Blue Collar Jets Fan. You drink in the parking lots and you curse in front of my children and you piss on my BMW and you were so embarassed by the Tebow signing and the Buttfumble and you look and act like Rex so Woody did you a solid.

Enjoying it?

SAR I

I see you've decided to go full SAR and forfeit any equity in credibility you may have accumulated since signing up here. LOL

so Woody indeed listens to the fans..  shocker.

If it were a 7 win season, and the fans were calling for heads, then maybe you have a point.

It's a 2 win season and it's not the beginning of a new regime, and you have the audacity to accuse others of posting nonsense.

Hopefully Woody is not listening to the fans/public opinion. That's the absolute worse way to make decisions. Because one day they'll be throwing compliments at you and

the next they'll be cursing you out. Ryan should go because he's been given ample time

in his position and the negative patterns that plague this team continue. Idzik should

only be fired if he's been found incompetent not because the fans/media don't like him

We don't have the whole interview in front of us but, from what's reported here, there's not a single word of praise from Woody regarding Idzik. The fans/media might be enough to push him over the edge if he's on the fence about Idzik, but there's not a word in there that suggests he's been happy with anything Idzik has done.

Shine up those resumes, highly coveted young coaches and GM candidates. Woody and Akselrod are gonna come a-callin'!!

The head coaching job becomes significantly more attractive once Idzik is gone. Forget that he's not good at his job. The guy is clearly on the hot seat right now, and would be on a short leash going forward. What coach would want to sign onto that? A fresh start with a new GM would actually represent a more secure situation. They'd start with a clean slate, rather than the negative bias in place were Idzik to remain in place. A new GM/HC tandem would reasonably expect more time to get their program in place than a new coach signing on with Idzik - who could easily find himself out the door next year if Idzik were to continue with his questionable talent acquiring abilities.

Any GM candidate worth his salt would be able to see that Idzik was fired due to incompetence. They could also look at the lengthy tenures of Bradway, Tannenbaum, and Rex, and know that this is a place where they'll have job security as long as they perform at merely a moderately respectable level. Idzik has been a Kotitian failure. Two years is enough of that.

I see you've decided to go full SAR and forfeit any equity in credibility you may have accumulated since signing up here. LOL

No such thing as credibility on a message board. No such thing as a poster critic either, so stick to the subject matter.

I knew this day would come back in Miami in 2011, no need to hold it back any longer. The Ryan lovers have been proven wrong, the Sanchez haters have been proven wrong, and sadly we're now all fans of a team that sucks because he tries to appease the wrong fans. Go us.

SAR I

No such thing as credibility on a message board. No such thing as a poster critic either, so stick to the subject matter.

I knew this day would come back in Miami in 2011, no need to hold it back any longer. The Ryan lovers have been proven wrong, the Sanchez haters have been proven wrong, and sadly we're now all fans of a team that sucks because he tries to appease the wrong fans. Go us.

SAR I

That was a direct commentary on the subject matter. Sanchez, Tanny and Rex all suck. I think you're wrong. All that was done wrong 2 years ago was keeping Rex, and yes, go us.

If it were a 7 win season, and the fans were calling for heads, then maybe you have a point.

It's a 2 win season and it's not the beginning of a new regime, and you have the audacity to accuse others of posting nonsense.

What?

The fans called for Mangini's head after a 9 win season and got it.  Remember?

What?

The fans called for Mangini's head after a 9 win season and got it.  Remember?

Yeah, and in that circumstance you'd have been right. In this situation, it's completely different. It's a 2 win season, you don't attribute cleaning house to "giving in to the fans" after a 2 win season. That's stupid.

The problem is the 'evaluation' comments.  We have a guy who is poor at evaluating what he has and what he has to do about it.  The general bent to me is that he is going to clean house, which is what he should have done two years ago.  His love of Rex helped in some part to waste two years.  We might have had a better gm or if we had Idzik by now we could for sure evaluate him on everything, not being able to choose his own coach lets him off the hook a bit.

The players were calling for that, too, tbh.

Sure, everyone was.  But this belief that Woody doesn't take fans opinions into account is absurd.  What business ignores their consumers?  Reed Hastings tried that a couple years ago and got spanked to the point of having to write an open apology letter.

Sure, everyone was.  But this belief that Woody doesn't take fans opinions into account is absurd.  What business ignores their consumers?  Reed Hastings tried that a couple years ago and got spanked to the point of having to write an open apology letter.

Nobody said he doesn't. What you said is he listened to the fans, and all I pointed out was that in this case, that narrative isnt' as relevant as it has been in the past, because WE'RE A 2 WIN TEAM YOU IDIOT.

Nobody said he doesn't. What you said is he listened to the fans, and all I pointed out was that in this case, that narrative isnt' as relevant as it has been in the past, because WE'RE A 2 WIN TEAM YOU IDIOT.

I know you are but what am I?

That was a direct commentary on the subject matter. Sanchez, Tanny and Rex all suck. I think you're wrong. All that was done wrong 2 years ago was keeping Rex, and yes, go us.

Mike Tannenbaum was a very good GM who was our last link to Bill Parcells. He used free agency aggressively, we were competitive or a playoff team for the longest stretch in our history. We averaged 9.5 wins a year when Pennington and Testeverde were healthy for 15 years. No other GM did better.

Mark Sanchez got off to a very hot start and had he been supported with better weapons around him, young ones that he could bond with, he may have been the franchise QB we've been looking for since forever. We saw what he looked like with good weapons and it was great, two trips to the playoffs, four road wins, and we saw how clutch he was in 2 minute situations when he turned 5 losses into wins in 2010.

Rex Ryan is still the same weak head coach today that he was on Game 1 in 2009. He hasn't grown into a better coach, he hasn't learned any lessons. Same guy, no progress. He's now got his second mutiny on his hands because the players only respect his easy workouts and pressure-free tactics.

John Idzik is a suit, an operations manager who never had a hand in player-personnel. We used a head-hunter to find him, like McDonalds looks for a new VP. He made a knee-jerk decision to take a QB who was falling like a stone and that one decision, that one 10 minutes of impulse buying, set us back 5 years, maybe more.

All these things happen because our owner cares too much about the temperature of the fans and isn't making sound football decisions. The fans wanted Sanchez gone, so he was. The fans wanted Ryan back, so Tannenbaum was the scapegoat. The wrong two guys were walked out the door. This is fact now, you can't argue this.

SAR I

Mike Tannenbaum was a very good GM who was our last link to Bill Parcells. He used free agency aggressively, we were competitive or a playoff team for the longest stretch in our history. We averaged 9.5 wins a year when Pennington and Testeverde were healthy for 15 years. No other GM did better.

Mark Sanchez got off to a very hot start and had he been supported with better weapons around him, young ones that he could bond with, he may have been the franchise QB we've been looking for since forever. We saw what he looked like with good weapons and it was great, two trips to the playoffs, four road wins, and we saw how clutch he was in 2 minute situations when he turned 5 losses into wins in 2010.

Rex Ryan is still the same weak head coach today that he was on Game 1 in 2009. He hasn't grown into a better coach, he hasn't learned any lessons. Same guy, no progress. He's now got his second mutiny on his hands because the players only respect his easy workouts and pressure-free tactics.

John Idzik is a suit, an operations manager who never had a hand in player-personnel. We used a head-hunter to find him, like McDonalds looks for a new VP. He made a knee-jerk decision to take a QB who was falling like a stone and that one decision, that one 10 minutes of impulse buying, set us back 5 years, maybe more.

All these things happen because our owner cares too much about the temperature of the fans and isn't making sound football decisions. The fans wanted Sanchez gone, so he was. The fans wanted Ryan back, so Tannenbaum was the scapegoat. The wrong two guys were walked out the door. This is fact now, you can't argue this.

SAR I

Mike Tannenbaum was GM when Testicles was QB?  

SAR I

Sanchez looks like pretty much the same qb in Philly with great weapons and in one of the most innovative offenses in the nfl. He also looked no better than geno in the 2013 preseason and camp. Let's not rewrite history here

SAR I

LOL, wut?

We don't have the whole interview in front of us but, from what's reported here, there's not a single word of praise from Woody regarding Idzik. The fans/media might be enough to push him over the edge if he's on the fence about Idzik, but there's not a word in there that suggests he's been happy with anything Idzik has done.

I totally agree.  Woody didn't mention rebuilding or youth or any of that - my guess is that Idzik is done. 

Idzik's inability to assess collegiate talent is going to be his main downfall but I think last year's 8-8 record is a large part of the unraveling.   In reality the Jets were one of the worst 8-8 teams in NFL history.   They either squeaked out wins or were blown out by 10+ points and uncompetitive.    The Jets were 8-8 but -97 in pt differential.   Cleveland was -98 in pt differential and 4-12.   Fans, coaches, and the front-office were all expecting improvement from 8-8 when in reality it was more like a 3 or 4 win team in terms of talent.   T

his season a terrible draft and couple of key injuries spiraled the season out of control but this team is not that much worse than last year's version.    

Cap guru, he had a seat at the table before being annointed GM.

SAR I

I agree that Sanchez was mishandled from day 1 and that Rex is still the same coach as when he was hired, which is incomplete. Tannenbaum although aggressive, made too many mistakes and was involved in the mishandling of Sanchez. No pass for him, sorry.

What is your plan Sar for this franchise?

nfl_u_nyjets1_sy_576.jpg

Enjoying it?

SAR I

More same old shtick from the shtick master.

Enjoying it?

SAR I

You never take your long-term-rental-no-capital-down poor man's image mobile to the stadium. You always drive the van. :indifferent0023:

this is similar to my feelings. I have praise for Rex but recognize he needs to go. Idzik is just a POS.

Maybe I'm woody johnson!

Wouldn't that be funny if Bit was actually Woody Johnson.

has anyone ever actually seen them together? It might also explain the loyalty to a certain DE/LB a few years ago.

Hmmmmmm

Sanchez looks like pretty much the same qb in Philly with great weapons and in one of the most innovative offenses in the nfl. He also looked no better than geno in the 2013 preseason and camp. Let's not rewrite history here

Mark is damaged goods yet he still is showing flashes in Philly.

What we'll never know is what may have happened if we drafted some young WR's and TE's for him to bond and develop with. We never invested in Mark, traded up to get him, surrounded him with has-beens on their last legs. That's not the NFL script with a Top 5 pick.

Mark had won the 2013 competition despite every effort to sabotage him; but then Rex got him killed. We'll never know what Mark would have looked like with the type of support other Top 5 QB's get.

SAR I

So we are getting rid of both.

What just about everyone has been calling for and what is needed.

Everyone called for Sanchez' head too. He seems to be doing good in Philly. I hope the new GM hires back Rex. I agree with Woody. Rex is an excellent coach. This is season is a result of:

1. Not using the cap space most teams used.

2. Not picking up a CB in the FA or trade when we needed one.

3. Trading for a WR when CB was a much bigger need at the time.

4. Not signing Revis when u had NOBODY at CB besides the oft-injured Milliner (who eventually essentially missed the whole yr.)

Most of it points to Idzik. Rex can only work with whoever gets on the field (street FAs as starting corners n WRs).

You never take your long-term-rental-no-capital-down poor man's image mobile to the stadium. You always drive the van.

I'm paying $600 a month for my car until the day I die. That's not "poor man's" anything. The wealthy lease. No one wants an old car.

SAR I

Archived