Woody Addresses Jets Future

JetNation

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just cannot understand where "Rex is a great coach" is coming from? What has he done that exemplifies great coach?

Exactly, When I read the Woody quote where Rex is a great coach and teacher I wanted to puke. The guy is a showman and a fraud. Give any decent DC the personnel that Rex had on D and they would be successful. The day's he's fired its instant addition by subtraction.

Maybe Woody will terminate Jetsinsider's Press Pass & keep both Idzik & Rex?

What does leasing vs buying cars have to do with the Jets?

When you are an assistant office clerk.spending your wifes salary for the entry level beemer, it is very important to strut about telling everyone how rich you are.

Those blue collar people he hates so much actually, unlike he, work hard for a living

First time I scanned over what Woody said I figured it meant he was cleaning house.  But now that I have a chance to read through it again, one word sticks out...  "either".

So it’s going to be either the way we coach or the way we approach it.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much but "either" leads me to believe that one or the other is going to change.  Either the coaching or the approach (which I read as Idzik).  Not both.  He complemented Rex not Idzik.  Rex has won here, Idzik hasn't.

While the common opinion is both Rex and Idzik are gone, based on those words, there's the possibility one stays.  If that's the case, hopefully it's Rex that stays.

First time I scanned over what Woody said I figured it meant he was cleaning house.  But now that I have a chance to read through it again, one word sticks out...  "either".

Maybe I'm reading into it too much but "either" leads me to believe that one or the other is going to change.  Either the coaching or the approach (which I read as Idzik).  Not both.  He complemented Rex not Idzik.  Rex has won here, Idzik hasn't.

While the common opinion is both Rex and Idzik are gone, based on those words, there's the possibility one stays.  If that's the case, hopefully it's Rex that stays.

So, you like what Rex has done with the team?  His coaching astuteness?  Game day ability to adapt?  Overall grasp of the three phases of our team?  Ability to hire OCs and develop QBs?  

No offense, but give me a fukkin' break already with Rex.

So, you like what Rex has done with the team?  His coaching astuteness?  Game day ability to adapt?  Overall grasp of the three phases of our team?  Ability to hire OCs and develop QBs?  

Yup, I do like what he's done with what he's been given. 

Do I think he has an amazing grasp of all three phases of the game?  Nope.  Don't think anyone does.  That's what assistant coaches are for.  Coaches/coordinators only as good as the tools they're given to work with.  Even with that said and the horrible team fielded this year, I've been amazed some weeks at the defensive schemes Rex has come up with vs teams like Denver, NE...  The offense has actually had some decent weeks too.  Showing that even though the offensive talent blows, they still play for Rex.

Develop QBs?  He's a defensive guy so, no I don't expect him to personally develop QBs. 

However I'm not posting now to argure for keeping Rex.  I posted becasue it sounds like Woody is going to fire "either" Rex or Idzik.  That is not a tough choice in my book.  It's worth giving up our 1st round pick just to fire Idzik.  At least that way our remaiining picks could be promising.

Im not sure Rex will go anymore. There is so much focus on Idzik and the poor job he has done that hell be the easiest fire for Woody. I believe at least half the fanbase would not care if Woody again decided that a new GM had to take on Rex. I wouldnt even be stunned if he went back and brought in Tannenbaum and simply said I made a mistake breaking up a really successful GM/coach combo.I would be shocked if Idzik is back.  If he isnt fired the fans will be irate and Woody is in a position because of the PSLs and everything else to have to bend over backwards to get the stadium filled.  

So, you like what Rex has done with the team? His coaching astuteness? Game day ability to adapt? Overall grasp of the three phases of our team? Ability to hire OCs and develop QBs?

They need to fire both but if it's between the 2 definitely take Rex over Idz. Rex at least has won here, Idz isn't qualified to take bring Rex his coffee let alone be a GM

Exactly what has Rex ever won as HC of the Jets?

He has an overall winning percentage of less than .500 and hasn't had a winning season in the last 4 years.

So if winning SBs is the only thing that counts, he's won just as much as Belichick after you remove the cheating.  Not to mention beating NE in NE in the playoffs.

So, one fluke win in the playoffs 5 years ago constitutes Rex's "winning" regime as HC of the Jets?

Got it.

Who are you arguing with because pretty sure it's not me. When did I mention "Rex's 'winning' regime"? I said, "I do like what he's done with what he's been given."

If you'd like to argue with yourself, please proceed. It'll be fun to watch.

Im not sure Rex will go anymore. There is so much focus on Idzik and the poor job he has done that hell be the easiest fire for Woody. I believe at least half the fanbase would not care if Woody again decided that a new GM had to take on Rex. I wouldnt even be stunned if he went back and brought in Tannenbaum and simply said I made a mistake breaking up a really successful GM/coach combo.I would be shocked if Idzik is back.  If he isnt fired the fans will be irate and Woody is in a position because of the PSLs and everything else to have to bend over backwards to get the stadium filled.  

Gosh I hope this happens. Idzik is just the worst. He makes Tanny look like a genius. Outside of the TomShanes and IPBanneds of the world, they aren't starting firerexryan.com

So, one fluke win in the playoffs 5 years ago constitutes Rex's "winning" regime as HC of the Jets?

Got it.

the Jets are in the division with Tom Brady a 1st ballot HOF'er at the most important position in all of team sports. Yes that 1 win was a big deal. We take what we can get. 

The 8-8 season was a total abberation and illusion, amazing how many people bought into the laughable comments about Rex coaching so well that year.

We were out right gifted two games late when the other teams made bizarre mind blowing blunders and a lot of huge warning signs had appeared on the radar that were swept under the rug.  We gave up an unblievalbe number of long scoring plays that year.  Not long plays that ended in points but long play tds.  All the 8-8 record did was fool people into thinking Rex was indeed a great coach, the team was about a 5 win team on value that year and thus the crap fest of this year is no huge suprise.

One thing people also tend to ignore about rex is his terrible choice of assistants over the years.  The fact that people think Idzik is a terrible gm does not make Rex Ryan a better coach than he is.  He is a very poor HEAD football coach and slightly over rated as D coach in general.

I'm amazed at how many of you can't get it through their heads that the Pats* game was not a gift. The "gift" was the refs allowing the cheaters back into the game with the phantom PI penalty. If not for this "gift" the Jets win in regulation hands down. So at worst if you want to call the FG penalty a "gift" it is offset by the "gift" PI call. So that win was in no way a gift.

I also find it funny how some of you talk about these "gift" wins by the Jets, and somehow never talk about the "gift" losses by the Jets. Don't even try to tell me the "gift" wins out weigh the "gift" losses

No they don't. A wealthy person buys cars with cash and trades them in at any time for new models.

Interest, monthly payments, and 3-4 year terms are for those who have no cash to burn ... like yourself.

Wrong. First off, a lease has no interest and no terms. No tax and no registration fees either. It's just cash.

And since you asked, a wealthy person keeps the $60,000 and gives it to his investment banker as an addition to his portfolio and pays cash for the monthly payments.

$60,000 slowly eroded by $600 a month over 3 years produces around $14,000 in incremental income which is far greater than the difference between buying a car and re-selling it and leasing it.

You don't want to go down this road with someone who knows what he's talking about, chief. Stick to the Jets.

SAR I

Got it.

Rex is a joke, good riddance.

The tragedy of the Jets is that in an attempt to steal the spotlight away from the World Champion New York Giants and sell PSL's they accidently found the magic formula to the best stretch in team history, an 18-4 run at one point. By channeling his inner Steinbrenner, Johnson enabled Tannenbaum to sign every decent big-name free agent and it nearly worked. Jones, Tomlinson, Burress, Faneca, Moore, Favre, Richardson, Edwards, Holmes, Woody, Pace, Scott, Leonhard, Cromartie, Jenkins, there's a ton of talent there. The Jets didn't mean to build a championship team, just wanted to sell tickets, but it almost worked.

So what do they do after going to back to back AFCCG's this way? They stopped spending, they drafted badly, they stuck with the wrong head coach, dumped the crafty GM, cut the young QB who may have had a future.

Jets committed suicide because they couldn't read the tea leaves, didn't see what actually mattered, and tried to appease the knucklehead segment of the fanbase who were too drunk to notice. We PSL holders, we knew the deal. The riff raff who don't even buy tickets caused this mess.

SAR I

Jim Harbaugh is the plan.We need to re-do what we did from Rich Kotite to Bill Parcells. We need an angry, aggressive owner to steal the best man available for the job to bring in his own people and turn this thing around. Is Harbaugh my dream coach? No. But is he the guy suited to restore order and stop the country club atmosphere? Absolutely.SAR I

Don't see him leaving the west coast and if he does, it's for Michigan

Wrong. First off, a lease has no interest and no terms. No tax and no registration fees either. It's just cash.

And since you asked, a wealthy person keeps the $60,000 and gives it to his investment banker as an addition to his portfolio and pays cash for the monthly payments.

$60,000 slowly eroded by $600 a month over 3 years produces around $14,000 in incremental income which is far greater than the difference between buying a car and re-selling it and leasing it.

You don't want to go down this road with someone who knows what he's talking about, chief. Stick to the Jets.

SAR I

The man is not wrong here.

Rex is a joke, good riddance.

The tragedy of the Jets is that in an attempt to steal the spotlight away from the World Champion New York Giants and sell PSL's they accidently found the magic formula to the best stretch in team history, an 18-4 run at one point. By channeling his inner Steinbrenner, Johnson enabled Tannenbaum to sign every decent big-name free agent and it nearly worked. Jones, Tomlinson, Burress, Faneca, Moore, Favre, Richardson, Edwards, Holmes, Woody, Pace, Scott, Leonhard, Cromartie, Jenkins, there's a ton of talent there. The Jets didn't mean to build a championship team, just wanted to sell tickets, but it almost worked.

So what do they do after going to back to back AFCCG's this way? They stopped spending, they drafted badly, they stuck with the wrong head coach, dumped the crafty GM, cut the young QB who may have had a future.

Jets committed suicide because they couldn't read the tea leaves, didn't see what actually mattered, and tried to appease the knucklehead segment of the fanbase who were too drunk to notice. We PSL holders, we knew the deal. The riff raff who don't even buy tickets caused this mess.

SAR I

You lost me after "what actually mattered".

First off, a lease has no interest and no terms. No tax and no registration fees either. It's just cash.

SAR I

Hahahaha ... WRONG. 

Just like you were in the 50-page car shopping monotony on JI, as well as the Plasma-LCD debate. 

Evidently, you STILL don't know how a lease payment is calculated. There most certainly is interest, leases just use different terminology.

Does "money factor" sound familiar? 

And all leases do have an end date, so there is a term. How can there not be?

Sales tax on a lease is computed differently and varies by state. There's a good chance you pay some in NJ or wherever you are. 

What's funny is how from one side of your mouth you brag about how expensive leasing is and then from the other side you point out how economical it is. 

Truth is, what attracts you most to leasing is the fact you can put nothing down. No cash down. You can't do that on a finance to own or a purchase, obviously.  

Anyone with a full-time minimum wage job can lease a BMW.  

not sticking up for Sar here but I have some money and prefer to lease for several reasons:

1. buying a car is a bad investment. I like my money in my other investments that make me money. What is the point in handing a dealership 60k just to say I own the car?

2. my leased car is always under warranty.

3. more car for the money

4. selling or trading in my car is a pain in the ass

Yours are all economic reasons as well.

You can purchase a car and keep it until the warranty expires or extend the warranty. 

Selling a used car is a hassle, I agree, but trading one in is as simple as returning your leased vehicle.

And I agree with saving the capital for wiser use, that's why purchasing a car with cash is for people who can afford to burn it.

For many years I leased F150s because I didn't want to own a workhorse vehicle that depreciated faster than my luxury sedan or SUV.

To make the deal even better, Ford kept changing their program and lowering their rates so at lease end I'd turn it in and drive away with the latest greatest new truck for a lower monthly payment than the previous model.

It was all win. So I agree with the economic reasons for leasing. I'm just debunking SAR's tiresome act that leasing is for the wealthy. 

Hahahaha ... WRONG. 

Just like you were in the 50-page car shopping monotony on JI, as well as the Plasma-LCD debate. 

Evidently, you STILL don't know how a lease payment is calculated. There most certainly is interest, leases just use different terminology.

Does "money factor" sound familiar? 

And all leases do have an end date, so there is a term. How can there not be?

Sales tax on a lease is computed differently and varies by state. There's a good chance you pay some in NJ or wherever you are. 

What's funny is how from one side of your mouth you brag about how expensive leasing is and then from the other side you point out how economical it is. 

Truth is, what attracts you most to leasing is the fact you can put nothing down. No cash down. You can't do that on a finance to own or a purchase, obviously.  

Anyone with a full-time minimum wage job can lease a BMW.  

Yours are all economic reasons as well.

You can purchase a car and keep it until the warranty expires or extend the warranty. 

Selling a used car is a hassle, I agree, but trading one in is as simple as returning your leased vehicle.

And I agree with saving the capital for wiser use, that's why purchasing a car with cash is for people who can afford to burn it.

For many years I leased F150s because I didn't want to own a workhorse vehicle that depreciated faster than my luxury sedan or SUV.

To make the deal better, Ford kept changing their program and lowering their rates so at lease end I'd turn it in and drive away with the latest greatest new truck for a lower monthly payment than the previous model.

It was all win. So I agree with the economic reasons for leasing. I'm just debunking SAR's tiresome act that leasing is for the wealthy. 

stop feeding the troll.

What are you five years old?  That is not a maturity comment it is an "as we've ever seen here comment"  The Jets have literally had dozens of years coached worse than that.  Hell Coughlin has probably done worse the last two years.

And yet, it's also true.

There are a lot of valid complaints about Rex. His failure to develop as a complete head coach, or foster an environment where an offense can develop being chief among them. After six years, this much is obvious. I'm 100% in favor of him being let go after the season. I do hope he holds on for a week, though, so Woody can leave the job of firing him to the new GM - just for the lulz. But the vilifying of Rex, I think, is nonsense. As much as he's had a hand in the short-comings here, he's also been dealt a bad hand from the front offices he's worked for - this last one being an atrocity.

Calling 2011 or '12 as bad a job of coaching as we've ever seen here, suggests that you started watching the Jets the day Rex was hired.

2011 and 2012 were the fruits of Rex's influence, and the almost inevitable result of his swaggerlicious players coach bullsh*t. He was a poor leader with a soft spot/hard on for rejects and punks. We all agree that surrounding Sanchez with Burress, Mason, and Holmes was an atrocity, and was the beginning of the end for Rex. We already have a million posts on here detailing the mistakes made during the transitional phase where Rex became Supreme Commander of the Jets franchise--trading character guys for punks, filling up the coaching staff with Rex's drinking buddies, etc. The embarrassments of those two seasons, where the team mutinied, quit, and generally became a rudderless ship, was not dissimilar from Herm's handling of the foundation Parcells had set for the franchise. They both took teams with a shot at competing for a long time and drove them straight into the ground because they both lead like they're substitute teachers. As sh*tty as Herm and Kotite were, however, I don't ever recall them ceding control of the team to a career a$$hole like Santonio Holmes.  

Archived