Woody Addresses Jets Future

JetNation

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO that is more a function of the GM and sh*tty roster.  Mason was the one guy that Rex supposedly brought in.  He was cut pretty damn quick.  Plaxico caught a sh*tload of TDs and was one and done.  Holmes it the only douchebag that has been a true problem and he paid plenty of dividends in 2010.  The problem is that it is okay to bring in scumbags to supplement (like Babin) but they can't be the main subset of the team.  I am sure that some of that is on Rex, but a great portion may or may not be on the GM.  As things stand now I don't see it as a Rex problem - The way I see it, Rex,and maybe Mornhinweg with Vick, saying they can work with headcases are like an injured player saying they can go back in the game.  Maybe they can, but somebody else should decide.  That is why I was hoping Idzik would be Slats' proverbial "adult in the room."  Instead he has supplied Goodson, Patterson, Vick, Babin and Chris Johnson. He is not exactly stressing character.  

Rex signed off on Plax and Holmes, there was an abundance of Rex quotes saying so. 

At the end of the day, a bad ******* team is the fault of the GM and the Head Coach. Period. The fact that Jets fans have been arguing for the past few years over whether it is one or the other shows you just how hoodwinked we were as a fanbase by the premise established by firing one, not both. 

I like Harbaugh but if he is such a disciplinarian, why all the player issues in sf last off season?

I think Harbaugh is being miscast as a "disciplinarian" personally, because that's what the perceived remedy is for our situation. Jets fans are bi-polar, you fix a "players coach" by getting a "disciplinarian" , you fix a "bean counter" by getting a "football guy".

Reality is, Harbaugh is an excellent head coach, and this season is a mess out there because the owner shoved himself between the coach and the players, by making it public that Harbaugh isn't wanted there. Teams don't succeed in this league with fractured chemistry at any level. 

Harbaugh would be a good fit for us.

Rex signed off on Plax and Holmes, there was an abundance of Rex quotes saying so. 

At the end of the day, a bad ******* team is the fault of the GM and the Head Coach. Period. The fact that Jets fans have been arguing for the past few years over whether it is one or the other shows you just how hoodwinked we were as a fanbase by the premise established by firing one, not both. 

It is funny.  The guys that hate Rex want to assign tons of value to his quotes.  I like the guy, but I don't believe a ******* thing he says in an interview. He is pretty much on the record as hating Rhodes and Gholston, but there are plenty of quotes fluffing them up.  I believe he probably liked those guys and I'm sure he "signed off"  I just wish the GM had more balls or more ability to stand up to that sh*t.  Oh and Harvin and Winslow.  More good soldiers added by Idzik. 

It is funny.  The guys that hate Rex want to assign tons of value to his quotes.  I like the guy, but I don't believe a ******* thing he says in an interview. He is pretty much on the record as hating Rhodes and Gholston, but there are plenty of quotes fluffing them up.  I believe he probably liked those guys and I'm sure he "signed off"  I just wish the GM had more balls or more ability to stand up to that sh*t.  Oh and Harvin and Winslow.  More good soldiers added by Idzik. 

When he's standing shoulder to shoulder with Tanny, and re-telling how Tanny came to him, watched tape of Plax from years ago, and Rex said "go get that guy", I tend to put more stock in it. It has nothing to do with whether I like Rex or not, I'm hard-headed, but I'm not petty. 

This wasn't an interview either, it was from Hard Knocks I believe.

We can talk in circles if you like, but at the end of the day, I think we mostly agree... the Jets hire the wrong people for the job, all the jobs.

If that's the protocol then its utter nonsense.  Granted you would have to start from scratch but if you're going to make a statement, then make a bold statement.  Get rid of Rex, Idziot and all that goes with it.  Get rid of Bradway and his entourage.  Cut Geno Catpiss Smith while you're at it. The guy is poison. Just like they cut ties with Holmes, its time for Smith to go. He has proven he is not mentally equipped to be an NFL QB on numerous levels. Time to MOVE ON.  Bringing on a new GM/coach and keeping this albatross is just stupid and ill.  Hire a guy like Harbaugh and put him in charge. He's young enough to deal with all the intangibles and would more than welcome it.  Let him develop a scouting department, the guy has ties all over the country.  It doesn't take a brain surgeon to pick 7 players in a draft.  This team needs a QB, a corner, a WR, a LB that's 4 picks right there in that order of urgency.  Anyone on this board would have probably made better picks than Idziot in the last 2 years.  Clean HOUSE, fresh start, take an unconventional path.  Anyone who takes over needs to pick a QB so this is a rebuilding project. Approach it similar to what Sandy Alderson has done with the Mets who are slowly becoming extremely dangerous, and they've been cash strapped.  They have been very patient and stockpiled an incredible assortment of arms similar to what the Giants have done.  Take a slow and patient approach, trade older players like DBRick, Harris, Mangold, aybe even a few DL men as this is our surplus of talent, free up money, get younger, get rid of these damn scrubs and older players like Wilson, Colon, Cumberland, Hakim. etc. Let everyone know no one is safe.   2015 needs to be The NEW New York Jets.   

Did you really write this at 2:25 AM? 

Agreed.

It almost sounds like they were talking with his publicist or at least a person that knew what they were talking about.

The most improbable leg of the desired Trifecta of necessary occurrences to get this team back on track is having Johnson sell the team.

This thinking makes that a little more palatable. 

Let's see if he goes the same route to hire the next guy.  A lot of cap space, good draft pick, but no QB.  I can see a good man accepting it, if Woody stops with the conditions.

I'm amazed at how many of you can't get it through their heads that the Pats* game was not a gift. The "gift" was the refs allowing the cheaters back into the game with the phantom PI penalty. If not for this "gift" the Jets win in regulation hands down. So at worst if you want to call the FG penalty a "gift" it is offset by the "gift" PI call. So that win was in no way a gift.

I also find it funny how some of you talk about these "gift" wins by the Jets, and somehow never talk about the "gift" losses by the Jets. Don't even try to tell me the "gift" wins out weigh the "gift" losses

They did that year.  One game we miss the Fg but the other team gets caleld for an obsure penalty.  Another game it is essentially over until the other teams LB makes a mind numbing penalty.  You can even ignore those two miracle 'wins' if you like, the team still showed major signs of trouble on defense giving up an ungodly number of big play tds.

Who do you think it would have been? Are you one of the guys that thinks they slandered Gamble?

I don't think so. I vaguely remember Tony Pauline quoting a source who told him Gamble's interview was "total sh!t-show."

But TX is right about Idzik. He'd have never been the GM if Woody hadn't made keeping Rex a requirement. They'd have been able to find a much better candidate.

And we start over. Again

You say that as if its a bad thing. Couldn't be better. With Rex and Idzik gone the Jets can rid themselves (and us) of the stench of bad coaching, poor personnel moves and abysmal draft picks. The arrow begins to point UP the day they are BOTH gone.

Who do you think it would have been? Are you one of the guys that thinks they slandered Gamble?

I'm sure there would have been 4-5 more qualified guys who would have jumped on the Jets GM job if they didn't have to keep Rex.

Woody created this mess because of his blinded loyalty to Rex.

I'm sure there would have been 4-5 more qualified guys who would have jumped on the Jets GM job if they didn't have to keep Rex.

You're not breaking new ground here. This has essentially been established as fact.

But TX is right about Idzik. He'd have never been the GM if Woody hadn't made keeping Rex a requirement. They'd have been able to find a much better candidate.

don't forget about trading the team's best player. It wasn't just keeping Rex that made this job unattractive. Revis is going to Canton. 

Okay, so you don't have a specific name.  There is one guy here - I think it is the BP impersonator who may be BP for all I know - who is on a Gamble crusade.  Most of us believed the stories that he interviewed horribly, in particular because he didn't get serious consideration for any of the other GM jobs out there.  There is a school of thought that he was a top candidate but didn't want Rex, so the Jets smeared him.  Seems farfetched to me, but I think we actually landed on the moon and all that. 

You're not breaking new ground here. This has essentially been established as fact.

He was answering my question.

Try this little exercise: Go back two years and pretend that Idzik takes the job, Rex is fired, and--say--Darrell Bevell is hired. Now, instead of having the front office operating on a different schedule than the entire coaching staff, the whole team has one unified goal. Instead of chasing around meaningless wins at the end of last season in an effort to save the head coach's job, we're evaluating rookies and putting them in positions where they can learn. Now, instead of going 8-8, we go, say, 6-10. In the first round, Idzik takes Beckham Jr. In the 2nd round, he can take Jordan Matthews if he wants. Maybe having one (or both?) of those guys, helps Geno out a little bit...or maybe the former QB coach Bevell looks at Geno and says he wants no part of him in the first place! ALAS NO! What we have now is the exact same situation where Dead Man Walking Head Coach is still trotting the 96 year-old Jason Babin and Calvin Pace and Dawan Landry out there every snap in an attempt to pad his personal defensive stats at the expense of (wait for it) THE EVIL JOHN IDZIK'S DRAFT PICKS!!!!!

Just imagine a world in which the brand new GM isn't on a completely different operating plan than the cockroach head coach: a world in which the teaching aspect of coaching young talent isn't put on the backburner in deference to trying to squeeze out another .500 season.

Haven't been around so I'm not sure if you are still all school girl crushy on Idzik, but you realize this argument advocates canning rex and Idzik this year. so as not to have a misaligned FO

Haven't been around so I'm not sure if you are still all school girl crushy on Idzik, but you realize this argument advocates canning rex and Idzik this year. so as not to have a misaligned FO

Only true if Idzik isn't hiring the guy he would have hired two years ago, or last year. If he hires Bevell after talking to a minority candidate for 10 minutes, then we'll know the fix was in. If not, and there's a protracted search for a coach, then we know that the organization really never had a plan.

Other than Kelvin Benjamin and Martavis Bryant (whom everyone was calling Stephen Hill Jr), who did you want instead at the time? In retrospect, the right thing to do was trade up a few times, but going round by round, he didn't lose out on that many guys. John Brown? Bruce Ellington, I guess? I think we're all caught up in blaming him for not drafting guys that we had no chance to draft, like Sammy Watkins, ODB, Matthews, etc. 

IIRC, I liked Moncrief a bunch.  I haven't really kept track of him, but I felt he was similar to Benjamin.

Only true if Idzik isn't hiring the guy he would have hired two years ago, or last year. If he hires Bevell after talking to a minority candidate for 10 minutes, then we'll know the fix was in. If not, and there's a protracted search for a coach, then we know that the organization really never had a plan.

I find it hard to believe there is an "organizational plan" that kept Woody that far out of the loop and without Woody, Idzik is taking too great a risk of getting himself canned.

what !? not true at all, glad to see JN constants like you being illogical haven't changed.

Idzik hires bevel, 2015 we are tracking for 4-12 . Idzik is on the hot seat, not Bevel, and will push all the things you mentioned like not playing rookies at end of year.

While the common opinion is both Rex and Idzik are gone, based on those words, there's the possibility one stays.  If that's the case, hopefully it's Rex that stays.

While I want to see Rex gone, part of me hopes this happens just to watch what take place here.  It would be epic.  Max would need to contact a medical professional due to his month long "Woody". 

What Woody wants and what Woody does might be two different things because availability is the deciding factor.

Also lost in the translation is the fact Woody is a lifelong Jets fan. He was a Jets fan before many of us. 

When the team was up for sale and within his price range, he thought, "Wow! I can own my Jets and help them win."

So when he says he's a fan and wants to win, he's being brutally honest.

Try this little exercise: Go back two years and pretend that Idzik takes the job, Rex is fired, and--say--Darrell Bevell is hired. Now, instead of having the front office operating on a different schedule than the entire coaching staff, the whole team has one unified goal. Instead of chasing around meaningless wins at the end of last season in an effort to save the head coach's job, we're evaluating rookies and putting them in positions where they can learn. Now, instead of going 8-8, we go, say, 6-10. In the first round, Idzik takes Beckham Jr. In the 2nd round, he can take Jordan Matthews if he wants. Maybe having one (or both?) of those guys, helps Geno out a little bit...or maybe the former QB coach Bevell looks at Geno and says he wants no part of him in the first place! ALAS NO! What we have now is the exact same situation where Dead Man Walking Head Coach is still trotting the 96 year-old Jason Babin and Calvin Pace and Dawan Landry out there every snap in an attempt to pad his personal defensive stats at the expense of (wait for it) THE EVIL JOHN IDZIK'S DRAFT PICKS!!!!!

Just imagine a world in which the brand new GM isn't on a completely different operating plan than the cockroach head coach: a world in which the teaching aspect of coaching young talent isn't put on the backburner in deference to trying to squeeze out another .500 season.

Well said.

What Woody wants and what Woody does might be two different things because availability is the deciding factor.

Also lost in the translation is the fact Woody is a lifelong Jets fan. He was a Jets fan before many of us. 

When the team was up for sale and within his price range, he thought, "Wow! I can own my Jets and help them win."

So when he says he's a fan and wants to win, he's being brutally honest.

Good point. I'm a Woody fan, actually. He's shown he can spend the money very liberally and he did some decent things in the new stadium for fans like the no-PSL upper deck.

What I'm banking on is that when he bought the team he was 52 years old, and now that he's sitting on 67 things get a little more urgent. If you know your Jets history, there were two things that turned this franchise for the better and both events had to do with older, aggressive owners trying to knock it out of the park- Werblin reaching for Namath from the NFL and Hess reaching for Parcells from the Patriots. Game changers. Decade makers.

After wandering between the Groh departure, the Edwards departure, the Mangini firing, Woody really wanted to lock-in on Ryan. Now that it's clear that the team and the fans want no part of him and that Idzik even has the fans turning against Johnson, Woody should be poised for that big Werblin-like and Hess-like mega-splash to make the Jets a champion before he needs assisted living.

Clean house completely, buy out Harbaugh, bet the farm and trade up to the #1 pick, take a QB, get balsy, get this franchise corrected, get that shot at a ring before you lose your teeth. That's what I'm banking on.

SAR I

This is a classic case of if "ifs" and "ands" were pots and pans.

Are you suggesting Bevell might've stayed the course with Sanchez? That ship sailed.

And why would Bevell necessarily tank 2013 like Rex did?

Sorry, this made-for-tv movie has too many holes in it. 

Gosh I hope this happens. Idzik is just the worst. He makes Tanny look like a genius. Outside of the TomShanes and IPBanneds of the world, they aren't starting firerexryan.com

Both Rex and Idzik are gone.  Woody cares about thing and one thing only....That is PR.  Fans and media want both of them gone..so they're gone.

Last year the fans wanted to keep Rex so Rex stayed.  Winning and building a quality franchise is an afterthought to WJ.  It's short term PR that drives this awful franchise.  It's so sad.

don't forget about trading the team's best player. It wasn't just keeping Rex that made this job unattractive. Revis is going to Canton. 

That trade actually would have worked out if it wasn't for Milliner's health falling apart.  Richardson is excellent.  Hopefully Revis is back as a Jet next if Idzik gets fired.

Both Rex and Idzik are gone.  Woody cares about thing and one thing only....That is PR.  Fans and media want both of them gone..so they're gone.

Last year the fans wanted to keep Rex so Rex stayed.  Winning and building a quality franchise is an afterthought to WJ.  It's short term PR that drives this awful franchise.  It's so sad.

Woody's keeping Idzik, unfortunately.  Idzik is lobbying hard to keep his job and blame everything on Rex behind the scenes that's why we have the whole "start Geno over Vick" thing, the silly Percy Harvin trade that happened 3 months late and giving Jeremy Kerley that stupid 4 year extension.

Well, obviously the hope is that what the fans and media want just happens to lead to winning and building a quality franchise. I really don't think that's too far outside the realm of possibility this time around. Rex has overstayed his welcome, and Idzik has done nothing to justify giving him the chance to bring in his own coach, or oversee another draft. And, perhaps more importantly, the Jets will be viewed as an incredibly shaky situation to any head coaching prospect for as long as Idzik is here. If Idzik survives, it's just too obvious to everyone that he'd be on extremely thin ice. I think any quality candidate would be more likely to take another job -or even sit tight for another year- rather than come to work in such a tenuous situation.

Woody's keeping Idzik, unfortunately.  Idzik is lobbying hard to keep his job and blame everything on Rex behind the scenes that's why we have the whole "start Geno over Vick" thing, the silly Percy Harvin trade that happened 3 months late and giving Jeremy Kerley that stupid 4 year extension.

Disagree, the NFL is a buisness first and formost. Having your customers revolt, and defaulting on PSL's is bad for buissness. Woody will fire both if anything, just for the sake of maintaing order.

You say that as if its a bad thing. Couldn't be better. With Rex and Idzik gone the Jets can rid themselves (and us) of the stench of bad coaching, poor personnel moves and abysmal draft picks. The arrow begins to point UP the day they are BOTH gone.

After 40 years of it happening over and over it isn't a good thing.

I think his biggest mistake was not filling the roster out prior to the draft so he could draft BPA.

100% legit. a lot of people said they loved his plan,just not his execution. I, for one, didn't like his plan. not in year 1 anyway. he left too many holes going into the draft and essentially was forced to draft for need. 50m+ in free agency, he could of plugged more holes than he did. you want to be thrifty during free agency, wait a year or so when your roster doesn't resemble swiss cheese

Archived