Idzik involved in early stages of coaching search

JOJOTOWNSELL

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you or I did our jobs as poorly as he did his, we'd get fired. He deserves to get fired too. He's in over his head.

I dont disagree, the problem here is that he didnt have a chance to do his job. He had a HC forced on him. I'd like to see what he can do with the keys. I understand if people disagree, but I think we could all admit that the last two seasons Rex Ryan should not have been the head coach. 

Year 3 of the idzik Error in THE offing. Also another year of of watching Geno Smith crapping the bed through next September after a stirlrng victory in Music City today. WE ARE DOOMED!

Why on earth would Woody involve Idziot on a coaching search if he wasn't going to be retained? Obviously, Woody Woodpecker has made his choice to bring this moron back

and has 'hinted' it by this gesture.  What this means is 1 - Idziot will be allowed to pick 'his' coach and will be given another 2-3 years to screw this team up 2 - forget any QB change or QB picked with our 1st or 2nd rounder.  Smith will return 'because he is Idziot's pick'. He will continue to try and save face and not 'waste' a top pick on a QB since he believes he as one.  Delusional thinking at it s best.  3 - Idziot will again blow the draft and will spiral this team deeper and deeper into mediocrity. 4 - Idziot will spend this coming year on overrated free agents in a desperate attempt to 'right the ship'.  If the Seahawks are the Legion of Doom, The Jets are the Legion of Doom and Gloom.    

I dont disagree, the problem here is that he didnt have a chance to do his job. He had a HC forced on him. I'd like to see what he can do with the keys. I understand if people disagree, but I think we could all admit that the last two seasons Rex Ryan should not have been the head coach. 

This is overrated. yea he had to 'deal' with Rex BUT he is still responsible for two drafts, setting the roster, bringing in overrated and overpriced free agents, which have all been a disaster.   

He did a good job with the Revis trade and the Richardson pick. It's largely been downhill from there.

Alternately, he took the QB that every other team passed on, many of them twice, and then banked on him. The only alternative he provided was an older, has-been, Geno-like QB who also enjoys turning the ball over at an alarming rate. With decent QB names available throughout the last draft, in which he had 12 picks, he passed on all of them until a sixth round comp pick, and missed.

Most important position on the field, and he hasn't don't nearly enough there.

Both young CBs had extensive injury histories prior to this season. It was shocking -shocking, I say!- when they both went down to injury. There were decent names available in free agency, and he missed on all of them. Even without the injury concerns, relying on a third rounder to start is a bad plan. Compounded by the Patterson signing. He completely botched the position.

Cleaning up the cap was common sense and most of his moves in that regard could've been executed by practically anyone who's been a regular poster here for a couple years. I'll even give him the first year of fielding a team completely void of talent. This year, there's no excuse.

Safety and tight end are bottom rung positions in the NFL, and if you're gonna use high picks on them, you had better hit home runs. Instead, he's got a safety who we all hope someday lives up to his potential, and a TE who looks like a middle of the road starter, maybe, at this point. Meanwhile, premium positions like CB and WR were also massive needs on this team, and after all his great work there, they're still huge positions of need.

Applauding him in one breath for not signing anyone to outrageous contracts, then congratulating him for the Harvin trade is a tad contradictory. You can still say they don't have weapons, because Harvin is more gadget player than true WR, and he's also gonna be tough to keep.

The best WR in free agency was DeSean Jackson, who would've been a tremendously better pickup than Percy Harvin, and wouldn't've cost a draft pick.

Rex needing to go doesn't make Idzik any good.

Being smart doesn't mean anything if you don't have the aptitude for the position you're in. Idzik has no talent for evaluating talent, which is easily the most important skill for a GM to have. Any underling exec could manage the cap. His slow, deliberate, methodical way of doing things paralyzes him when it comes to making draft day trades or signing free agents. Everyone else is capable of moving faster than him, leaving him with his dick in his hand.

Most importantly, though, the man is obviously on the hot seat. The best head coaching candidates will take other opportunities before they sign on with a GM who, himself, needs to win in a hurry or face the ax. It's bad enough having a lesser candidate at GM because of the Rex requirement. Having that lesser candidate try to bring in a new head coach is doubling down on that bad idea, and just extending the status quo around here - never truly cleaning house, and never having the whole team completely on the same page. It's always either the GM throwing the coach under the bus with the Jets or vice versa. This is the perfect time to start over.

Idzik has to go.

I was just about to respond to the op's post. thank you for saving me a bunch of time. I couldn't have responded any better than this

He had the keys to the roster. The roster is awful. Stop.

having rex forced on him caused the multitude of bad descisions he made? idzik never had a chance to do his job because of rex? same logic says that rex never got a chance to do his job because of tanny. or shotty. or whoever

I have been a supporter of Idziks general plan since day one and still am.  I also believe a gm should get to choose his own coach.  I also think he totally botched this past years draft on a year where we could have really straightened out  a lot of spots.  He simply missed on too many  picks after round two.  There is still hope for Pryor if we get a dc who can straighten him out.  I think Rex rushed this guy too fast too soon.  Rex and his whole staff (who are really lousy) should be gone for sure.  I won't be ticked if idzik gets dumped because of the draft and some poor fa choices but he does deserve to have a shot with a decent coaching staff.

I have been a supporter of Idziks general plan since day one and still am.  I also believe a gm should get to choose his own coach.  I also think he totally botched this past years draft on a year where we could have really straightened out  a lot of spots.  He simply missed on too many  picks after round two.  There is still hope for Pryor if we get a dc who can straighten him out.  I think Rex rushed this guy too fast too soon.  Rex and his whole staff (who are really lousy) should be gone for sure.  I won't be ticked if idzik gets dumped because of the draft and some poor fa choices but he does deserve to have a shot with a decent coaching staff.

In the offseason, it was obvious that the Jets needed serious help at two premium positions: WR and CB. Idzik obviously recognized that, because he made WR his priority in free agency with Decker, and also signed Jacoby Ford and Dimitri Patterson. Further demonstrating that he understood the dire situation at those two critical spots, he drafted three WRs and two CBs.

The results?

Decker looks pretty good. FAs Ford and Patterson were cut. As for the five draft picks, three were cut (with Enunwa making the practice squad), and the other two are on the IR.

Idzik sucks.

before we start feeling good about idzik, lets look at this 2 drafts.

2014:

1. Pryor - so far i'd call a bust

2. Amaro - could be solid

3. McDougle - who knows, but widely regarded as a huge reach

4. Saunders - not on team

4. Evans - IR

4. Dozier - weekly scratch

5. George - not on team

6. Dixon - not on team

6. Enunwa - PS

6. IK - bench

6. Boyd - not in league

7. Reilly - bench

1. Dee - not very good 

1. Sheldon - best pick in 2 years

2. Geno - scrub

3. Winters - lost starting job, bench

4. Trade for Ivory - solid move

5. Aboushi - meh

6. Campbell - not on team

7. Bohannon - IR

20 picks in 2 years.  1 player i'd say that would start on another team in the NFL.

this guy isn't a football guy.  he doesn't know how to evaluate talent.  he's a bad negotiator.  he isn't cut to be a GM.

2014:

4. Evans - IR

5. George - not on team

6. Dixon - not on team

6. Enunwa - PS

6. IK - bench

6. Boyd - not in league

7. Reilly - bench

1. Dee - not very good 

2. Geno - scrub

5. Aboushi - meh

7. Bohannon - IR

20 picks in 2 years.  1 player i'd say that would start on another team in the NFL.

this guy isn't a football guy.  he doesn't know how to evaluate talent.  he's a bad negotiator.  he isn't cut to be a GM.

pretty much nailed it.

2014:

4. Evans - IR

5. George - not on team

6. Dixon - not on team

6. Enunwa - PS

6. IK - bench

6. Boyd - not in league

7. Reilly - bench

1. Dee - not very good 

2. Geno - scrub

5. Aboushi - meh

7. Bohannon - IR

End thread.  Fire Idziot.  

2014:

4. Evans - IR

5. George - not on team

6. Dixon - not on team

6. Enunwa - PS

6. IK - bench

6. Boyd - not in league

7. Reilly - bench

1. Dee - not very good 

2. Geno - scrub

5. Aboushi - meh

7. Bohannon - IR

You nailed it!!!  Has no eye for talent.  20 picks and half should be helping and we are lucky if 5 are.  He has made us close to an expansion team.  Clean house or I refuse to go to or root for this team next year.  If Idzik is here on Jan. 1 I think we should have a protest in Florham Park.  Woody is the worse owner in all of sports and that includes Dolan and the Wilpon's.  That's saying alot.

I take issue with the "HC was forced on him," as I understood it, it was job condition up front and he accepted the job as is, and he needed to conduct himself accordingly.    It can be viewed that some of his decisions were made giving the appearance of "doing something" to improve the team, (signing Decker, Johnson, for those who believe Vick is a good QB), at the same time as hamstringing the coach (the one that was clear to him was in place when he accepted and not forced to take the job) with decisions like low balling one Cromartie while letting the other go.  

Not to mention we had twelve picks last year, and we have 3 or 4 on the team,  Amaro, Pryor, and IK?  none of the receivers he drafted (well one is on IR).  We needed receivers we passed on Cooks for Pryor, and waited till the fourth round, picking McDougle (CB) in the 3rd, you mean we couldn't have waited a couple rounds on a guy who missed most of his senior year to injury and picked a receiver instead?  Count me with the people that believed that picking up Patterson, and handing the job to a 2nd year guy, and a 3rd rounder (who probably would have been there at 5) was just window dressing given all the names he passed on (Revis, Vernor, Cromartie, Cromartie,).   

Someone else also made the point that Idzik may prevent us from getting a good coach, I remember Rich Gannon talking on NFL network (I was driving so no link, ) saying that his former coach wouldn't take the job with idzk there.  I don't really think that Gruden is coming back to coaching but after idzks performance i can't believe that he would be the only quality coach to think that way.   So I'm for a total house cleaning.

If this is true, then it's an absolute joke.  We see other teams who are able to reload their rosters, like the Colts and Ravens, despite turnover and the retirements of franchise-caliber players without missing much of a beat. 

John Idzik has done nothing but drop the ball since he's been here.  He did well in the Revis trade, but that was it.  It's been an absolute disaster other than that, and like others have said, if a person in a regular job was as bad as Idzik has been in his job, they'd be fired. 

He drafted a tight end and safety, both positions of need and the TE has looked respectable and the Safety has been playing out of position thanks to the coaching staff.

Safety was hardly a position of NEED. Jets have at least three guys in the mold of Calvin Pryor in Dewan Landry, Antonio Allen and Jaiqwann Jarrett, so he was certainly not a need. Kyle Fuller of Virginia Tech would have been preferable. A true CB who does NOT have a long injury history like both Milliner and McDougle have. Pryor looks the part of a bust. Also, how do you defend a guy who drafted four WR's in a draft that many said was like shooting fish in a barrel and NOT get ONE good one? 

Also, how do you defend a guy who drafted four WR's in a draft that many said was like shooting fish in a barrel and NOT get ONE good one? 

You can't.  2014 was one of the two best drafts in NFL history for WRs, and the WRs Idzik drafted don't have a single catch on the season.  That alone should cost Idzik his job, let alone all of the other awful personnel moves he's made thus far.

Count me with the people that believed that picking up Patterson, and handing the job to a 2nd year guy, and a 3rd rounder (who probably would have been there at 5) was just window dressing given all the names he passed on (Revis, Vernor, Cromartie, Cromartie,).   

Perfect point. He completely undermined Rex's effort's this season. I hate Rex and think Idzik should have quit when Woody made the decision to keep Rex. At least Iggy could have kept his self respect and NOT had to resort to undermining anyone. He should go because he has no integrity. 

Archived