Idzik involved in early stages of coaching search

JOJOTOWNSELL

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Idzik is back, he deserves to pick his own head coach. I know this has been rehashed many times but I will state my case.

His first year he traded Revis at the owners behest and got more for him than anyone expected. He then picked the DROY in the draft.

He took a flier on a 2nd round QB who was initially the highest rated QB in his draft and wanted to give him a second year to develop after showing some solid signs in his rookie year.  Smart and reasonable IMO even though Geno has sucked.

He went into this season with a solid plan IMO, even though we know how it worked out.  He had 2 young corners he hoped to develop and a stop gap vet to solidify the group. Both young corners got injured and the stop gap vet turned out to be a nut job, without any previous history of such behavior.  No team can lose both starting corners and a backup and be ok.  

He cleaned up the cap mess and didn't sign any free agents with outrageous contracts, knowing we weren't super bowl contenders this year.  It wasn't good for the coach who needed to win after 3 mediocre years, but that is Woody's fault for saddling with a coach he didn't pick who had time to outlast a rebuilding period.

He drafted a tight end and safety, both positions of need and the TE has looked respectable and the Safety has been playing out of position thanks to the coaching staff.

He signed  the best WR in free agency at a reasonable price and got a free agent RB at a reasonable price to catch passes out of the back field, and later took a flier on Harvin with no long term committment so no one could say there were no weapons to adequately evaluate Geno.  

He has had to deal with a coach who has been a buffoon at times, who has shown time and time again that he is a poor in game manager, with an undisciplined team that constantly wastes time outs and has bad penalties, and has no interest or expertise on the offensive side of the ball.  He also has had a bad track record of picking offensive coordinators with Sparano being a disaster and Marty mediocre to bad.

I know Rex is a likeable guy and fires up the fans with his bravado and refreshing honesty but like his father before him, he is a better coordinator than a head coach and has had ample time to prove himself.

I really don't understand the Idzik hate.  He is a smart Ivy League guy with a prior connection to the team and he has a patient approach that I think will eventually pay off.  I just hope Woody stops being a "fan" and starts being an owner and smart business man and doesn't cave in to public pressure from an angry mob.

Your Post comes down to these words : He had a solid plan. 

This is the NFL buddy. The Elite of the Elite. All teams have a solid plan, and if ANY of there plans work out teams will be successful. 

There are multiple theories on building a team -

-Many teams invest heavily on Defense and QB (Patriots) while spending cheaply on WR. 

-Some teams only draft lineman early (Andy Reid)

-Some teams love many picks like the packers/or Idzik. 

-Some teams literally trade up because they dont have that many roster spots(Patriots) so they would rather the premium. 

The Key here is there are many different ways to succeed. We went to two AFC Championship games with Good, and expensive FA signings, and trading up in the draft to nab Revis, Keller, Sanchez and trading away picks for players like Cromartie. Thats literally the opposite strategy of yours and IT WORKED. Im not saying thats the plan I support - because I don't have to. It worked. 

So what is the best plan/Strategy? One that works. If your going to put your job on the line for draft picks - then you cant be this bad at it. 

Right now this is not. We have a team playing like its the superbowl calling blitz and playing their hearts out and we could barely beat perhaps the worst team in the league thats missing the majority of their good players. With a 3rd string QB.  

We might have the worst roster in the NFL surely with the WORST young talent in the NFL. We have gotten worse. This Front Office needs to all go especially Idzik. You dont trust draft picks with someone who can't draft. 

This is overrated. yea he had to 'deal' with Rex BUT he is still responsible for two drafts, setting the roster, bringing in overrated and overpriced free agents, which have all been a disaster.   

before we start feeling good about idzik, lets look at this 2 drafts.

2014:

1. Pryor - so far i'd call a bust

2. Amaro - could be solid

3. McDougle - who knows, but widely regarded as a huge reach

4. Saunders - not on team

4. Evans - IR

4. Dozier - weekly scratch

5. George - not on team

6. Dixon - not on team

6. Enunwa - PS

6. IK - bench

6. Boyd - not in league

7. Reilly - bench

1. Dee - not very good 

1. Sheldon - best pick in 2 years

2. Geno - scrub

3. Winters - lost starting job, bench

4. Trade for Ivory - solid move

5. Aboushi - meh

6. Campbell - not on team

7. Bohannon - IR

20 picks in 2 years.  1 player i'd say that would start on another team in the NFL.

this guy isn't a football guy.  he doesn't know how to evaluate talent.  he's a bad negotiator.  he isn't cut to be a GM.

You nailed it!!!  Has no eye for talent.  20 picks and half should be helping and we are lucky if 5 are.  He has made us close to an expansion team.  Clean house or I refuse to go to or root for this team next year.  If Idzik is here on Jan. 1 I think we should have a protest in Florham Park.  Woody is the worse owner in all of sports and that includes Dolan and the Wilpon's.  That's saying alot.

I take issue with the "HC was forced on him," as I understood it, it was job condition up front and he accepted the job as is, and he needed to conduct himself accordingly.    It can be viewed that some of his decisions were made giving the appearance of "doing something" to improve the team, (signing Decker, Johnson, for those who believe Vick is a good QB), at the same time as hamstringing the coach (the one that was clear to him was in place when he accepted and not forced to take the job) with decisions like low balling one Cromartie while letting the other go.  

Not to mention we had twelve picks last year, and we have 3 or 4 on the team,  Amaro, Pryor, and IK?  none of the receivers he drafted (well one is on IR).  We needed receivers we passed on Cooks for Pryor, and waited till the fourth round, picking McDougle (CB) in the 3rd, you mean we couldn't have waited a couple rounds on a guy who missed most of his senior year to injury and picked a receiver instead?  Count me with the people that believed that picking up Patterson, and handing the job to a 2nd year guy, and a 3rd rounder (who probably would have been there at 5) was just window dressing given all the names he passed on (Revis, Vernor, Cromartie, Cromartie,).   

Someone else also made the point that Idzik may prevent us from getting a good coach, I remember Rich Gannon talking on NFL network (I was driving so no link, ) saying that his former coach wouldn't take the job with idzk there.  I don't really think that Gruden is coming back to coaching but after idzks performance i can't believe that he would be the only quality coach to think that way.   So I'm for a total house cleaning.

It isn't overrated. Idzik dealt with a HC/OC who have shown that not only are they not able to adjust but players who have left the program have thrived under coaches and coordinators who know how to get the best out of their players provided. 

All im saying is that Idzik provides the ingredients, we need someone who knows how to run a kitchen. Not every player is going to be Sheldon Richardson. Lets be honest here since we're talking about "drafts" in the 6 years that Rex has been the head coach who has he developed? Tanny was around here for 4 of those years, who has Rex developed in the 6 years worth of draft picks? I could name 3 guys which in all honesty I could really say just 1 because 2 of the 3 were first round draft picks which are Wilkerson and Richardson. The only guy in the 6 years Rex has been the HC that I seen a guy actually developed came in during the Tanny years which was Demario Davis. He came in raw and developed into a starter. 

Let me put this on record. Im in no way saying that Idzik hasn't had his share of issues, an imploded season is problem enough obviously. Im not saying that by no means should Idzik be fired. If he's canned then it is what it is, but lets be serious here, Rex Ryan took two teams to the AFC championship game that he didnt build and in the 4 years he had with Tanny he gave us the likes of Kyle Wilson, John Connor, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, Josh Bush, Vlad Ducasse, Joe McKnight etc, etc. 

These guys drafted above were under Tanny's watch with Rex here, the same Tanny who gave you Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, David Harris, Leon Washington, Brad Smith and a Mark Sanchez who's not looking too bad out in Philly. The problem I see here is the coaching. Tanny found talent before Rex Ryan became coach. When Rex came in it was like every draft pick was a bust. Idzik comes in and under Rex its like every draft pick is a bust, but whats funny with that is that It was Idzik who found Sheldon Richardson, a DROTY or the same Tanny who found Revis, Washington, Mangold, D'Brick etc. A kid who didnt need development. The point here is that not all talent will be like Sheldon Richardson or Mo Wilkerson. Some talent is going to be like a Quinton Coples or a Geno Smith. Idzik's job isn't to develop talent, its to provide the talent. I think Rex Ryan has clearly shown that not only can he not develop talent, but he cannot run an offense which clearly shows that he's not a HC, he cannot comprehend that if he doesnt have Revis and Cromartie then stop jailbreak blitzing and exposing your secondary. 

Marty has also clearly shown why Andy Reid did not take him to Kansas City. Trust me, Idzik could possibly be a problem, but I can't say that its a fact until we get rid of the obviously clear problems which is Rex, Marty and a few other coaches and coordinators. Sorry for being longwinded. 

If your going to put your job on the line for draft picks - then you cant be this bad at it.

Exactly.  Idzik's two drafts have been abysmal, and if you're going to hang your hat on building through the draft, like you said, you can't be that bad at it.

His failure to draft even a mediocre WR in this draft should be enough to get Idzik fired, on top of all of the other bad decisions.  Add to that the fact that no decent HC candidates are coming here with him still on board, as Idzik most likely has very little job security, and it's a no brainer to completely clean house this year.  Of course, since it would make sense to do so, it means that Woody will do exactly the opposite.

So, back to the topic, I think Idzik hires Bevell and, with the sixth overall pick, takes the shot on Winston. Then we pray.

Agree that Winston is there at 6, SNY post game guys were saying this cost us a shot at both QBs, not true at all.

Wait, IDZIK provided the ingredients? Who? The oline sucks, we have 1 good RB and at the start of the season all we had was decker to catch passes. The secondary is an absolute joke. While this dumpster fire isn't all on IDZIK, I'd say the majority of it is him not bringing in good players for the coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.  Idzik's two drafts have been abysmal, and if you're going to hang your hat on building through the draft, like you said, you can't be that bad at it.

His failure to draft even a mediocre WR in this draft should be enough to get Idzik fired, on top of all of the other bad decisions.  Add to that the fact that no decent HC candidates are coming here with him still on board, as Idzik most likely has very little job security, and it's a no brainer to completely clean house this year.  Of course, since it would make sense to do so, it means that Woody will do exactly the opposite.

His 1st pick this year should have been a WR. Period. His next pick should have been a QB to provide competition. He did neither. Then he wastes 10 mil on a #3 wr in Decker (yes Decker was a #3 in Denver) 7 mill on Harvin, 5 Mill on Johnson (didn't really need him) that's 23 million! I know Woody got cash but that's a lot of mula for basically nothing.  Lets not forget all the other mistakes with the biggest - Pro Bowler Geno Smith. 

I have been a supporter of Idziks general plan since day one and still am.  I also believe a gm should get to choose his own coach.  I also think he totally botched this past years draft on a year where we could have really straightened out  a lot of spots.  He simply missed on too many  picks after round two.  There is still hope for Pryor if we get a dc who can straighten him out.  I think Rex rushed this guy too fast too soon.  Rex and his whole staff (who are really lousy) should be gone for sure.  I won't be ticked if idzik gets dumped because of the draft and some poor fa choices but he does deserve to have a shot with a decent coaching staff.

Agree. Absolutely Rex needs to go. Idzik was sub-par this past draft, although 2 picks went on IR before the season started, if they amount to something it gives the draft a different look. I also would not totally be against idzik being fired but can also live with him for 1-2 more yrs and see where he takes us.

so like what happens if Idzik hires Bevell and the Jets go 4-12 next year with no better draft or free agency than his past failures?

What If Woody Johnson fires Idzik, can't find a GM to take this godforsaken job, has to settle on some dude that Korn Ferry dug out of the Tampa front office, and this all takes them into February when you're stuck hiring a head coach who was just passed over by every other team in the league with an opening? Are you ready for four years of Perry Fewell?

What If Woody Johnson fires Idzik, can't find a GM to take this godforsaken job, has to settle on some dude that Korn Ferry dug out of the Tampa front office, and this all takes them into February when you're stuck hiring a head coach who was just passed over by every other team in the league with an opening? Are you ready for four years of Perry Fewell?

So they hire another Idzik you are saying? Not likely. Lots of cap room. Clean slate. High draft pick. He can get a real GM this time around.

so like what happens if Idzik hires Bevell and the Jets go 4-12 next year with no better draft or free agency than his past failures?

If idzik stays, him and his hand-picked coach will get at least 2yrs. the new coach will prob get a 3yr contract to coincide with idziks 3yrs remaining on his contract.

So they hire another Idzik you are saying? Not likely. Lots of cap room. Clean slate. High draft pick. He can get a real GM this time around.

Yes, if woody starts over and gets rid of both coach and GM he should be able to get a good condidate. team with lots of cap space probable top 5 pick, big market team.

If idzik stays, him and his hand-picked coach will get at least 2yrs. the new coach will prob get a 3yr contract to coincide with idziks 3yrs remaining on his contract.

Gonna be interesting to see who takes that deal. I agree with you. It will be structured like that.

So, back to the topic, I think Idzik hires Bevell and, with the sixth overall pick, takes the shot on Winston. Then we pray.

Lol, you think Bevell is the one that's going to keep Winston's head straight. I'd give you Harbaugh, maybe, but we might as well be pissing away our future if Bevell is our head coach and we draft Winston.

Lol, you think Bevell is the one that's going to keep Winston's head straight. I'd give you Harbaugh, maybe, but we might as well be pissing away our future if Bevell is our head coach and we draft Winston.

I don't see anything in the history of either that suggests they would just say **** it if they didn't have him graded accordingly.

It is distasteful of the Jets that this information is being leaked. 

Idzik is still the GM, therefore of course he should be involved in this. That said, Rex is still the coach, this information shouldn't be public. Once again, Woody's Jets come across as slap dick.

It is distasteful of the Jets that this information is being leaked. 

Idzik is still the GM, therefore of course he should be involved in this. That said, Rex is still the coach, this information shouldn't be public. Once again, Woody's Jets come across as slap dick.

Leaks happen for nearly every team. Bottom line, if Idzik stays, it shows Woody is too prideful to admit he screwed up two years ago.

So no GM worth their salt would sign on for this job, yet somehow Idzik is the real deal? I'm indifferent on him at the moment, I just don't understand this logic.

No. At this point, your best case scenario is that someone pulls Woody to the side at a Super Bowl party and convinces him that his organization is viewed as a toxic waste dump around the league and that he needs to hire a fixer (Polian/Parcells/etc) to come in and fumigate. Barring that, the next best option is to pray to Holy God that Idzik's long-term plan starts to bear fruit early on next season and, as a result, demonstrates to the rest of the NFL that the owner isn't an impetuous, meddling jackass.

The worst case scenario is that Woody fires Idzik, the rest of the league continues to point and laugh at him, and the very mention of working for him becomes a running joke in agent circles.

Archived