DinoCosta goes for the K.O / Justified or Racist?

Smizzy

http://www.dinocosta.com/CostaChronicles/ChronicleArchive/DCS_Chronicles/DCS_harderfireblack.html

HARDER TO FIRE A BLACK COACH? ARE YOU KIDDING?

By DinoCosta

12-28-05

Denver-

So an email arrived today from Cheyenne, Wyoming, which is a place that has every Cowboy in the town looking over their shoulder for that Brokeback duo.

Jim asked me: Is it harder in this day and age to fire a black head coach once that coach has been hired in the NFL or at a college?

What a question.

What nerve this guy had to make such an inquiry.

Jim obviously was well aware of the fact that I live for questions like this one.

Where others would run the other way as fast as Reggie Bush does carrying a football - I on the other hand run toward a question like this as fast as a fireman does running into a burning building.

If it is hard to hire a black coach that will satisfy those in every politically correct corner of the world, then make no mistake that firing that black head coach is almost twice as tough.

Since there is often an agenda attached to a minority candidate hire, that agenda is one that never seems to go away, and it rears its ugly and misguided head throughout the period of time that the minority hire is in place.

Should I stop at this juncture just to qualify my inner most thoughts on this a little bit more?

I shouldn't have to - but I will just to placate the dumb and dumber out their.

Here it is; I could care less what color the coach is so long as that coach is qualified for the job.

Good enough?

No?

You want more I guess?

Okay, then how is this; Color should never enter into the equation for any coaching hire in America. Then again skin color should never matter for any job anywhere, anyplace, at anytime.

Unless of course we're talking about being a television personality on BET...then I believe that color does have a place in the pecking order.

For further consideration of how a coach can still keep his job with the right skin color, but the wrong results, all one needs to do is to look in the direction of New York Jets head coach, Herman Edwards.

Edwards is well thought of across America by those who haven't a clue about his less than impressive coaching ability.

They have seen the Edwards video clips the last few years on ESPN, "you play to win the game", and all that pretty talk.

What those who advocate Edwards as a good coach don't realize, is that Edwards is routinely out coached by those on the opposition sideline, is bereft of any game management skills, allows the players on his teams to dictate the direction and procedures of his franchise, throws players under the bus by being the anonymous source in many newspaper stories, is not a coach who hold players accountable, is reactive versus being proactive, and generally has no sense of how to "coach" a football team.

But he is a nice guy to the media contingent who covers the Jets for the NY newspapers.

How nice?

Have you ever heard of any coach in the NFL, addressing the media in a collective sense during his daily media briefing - and then meeting with reporters for a good hour afterward, providing them with juicy morsels of information, all of them mostly off the record? Sound kosher to you?

Is this what Mike Shannahan does? Bill Belichick? Brian Billick? Bill Parcells? ANY coach of substance in the NFL?

Wonder why the New York press has been so hesitant to criticize Edwards as they should have over the past few years? Ever hear of not biting the hand that feeds you?

Sure Edwards has been dealt a less than good hand with injuries this season - but even with the injuries (and never failing to mention them as often as he can) he's done a horrible job this year...and others.

Meanwhile the good coaches in the NFL never mention injuries as an excuse and in fact many of them find the suggestion an insult.

The New England Patriots are playing their way back to the playoffs this year with guys on their defense they accumulated off the street for crying out loud.

What are you saying Dino...are you saying that Edwards is being treated with kid gloves in New York because he's black?

Without question.

Edwards has had the audacity during moments this year to complain to those who listen to him that the New York media hasn't been fair to him.

This is simply delusional thinking.

Edwards should check the microfilm out at the New York Library sometime soon, to see how "fair" former Jets coaches like Joe Walton, Bruce Coslet, and Rich Kotite, had it, during their times coaching the green & white.

By the way, Walton, Coslet, and Kotitie, each have forgotten more about football than Edwards will ever know.

Edwards is glib, he's personable, he appears to be the kind of guy you could sit in your living room with and talk over the game of life with.

That's all fine and good - but it doesn't make him a good head football coach. Edwards may be the best football coach in the world (according to the media) Monday through Saturday...but on Sunday he is dreadful.

So the Jets should fire Edwards?

I've suggested this going back three years ago as I have maintained that any success the Jets have had with Edwards as a head coach was in spite of him more than having anything to do with being because of him.

It won't happen. Unless Edwards leaves of his own accord to go someplace else, then Edwards will be back again next year even though he is one of the worst coaches in the league.

The New York press (an extension of the Herman Edwards public relations department) has their heads so far up Edwards rectum, they are so in love with this guy, they feel such an allegiance to Edwards, that if Jets owner Woody Johnson ever pulled the trigger and fired Edwards, the press would make everyone think that the Jets just let go of Vince Lombardi.

Yes, much of it has to do with the fact that Edwards fits the New York press like a glove - as a feel sorry for minority coach in a state that is a bastion of Liberal thinking.

A few weeks ago I had the head of the Black Coaches Association, on my program. When I asked their director Floyd Keith to list for me some capable candidates that he felt were worthy of consideration on both the pro and collegiate level, he refused.

Why?

I can only deduce that Mr. Keith was at a loss to identify anyone who made actual sense.

Some have made a case for of all people Ted Cottrell.

Ted Cottrell is the defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings, and has coached a defense that makes him the last person who should be considered for an NFL head coaching vacancy.

Prior to his defense in Minnesota, Cottrell coached the Jets defense in New York (before getting fed up with Herman Edwards), and prior to that he coached the defense in Buffalo.

In none of Cotrell's stops has he exhibited anything that should make him serious head coaching material.

If I'm wrong about Cottrell then by all means please write me with your thesis on why Cottrell desrves to be an NFL head coach...other than the fall back excuse, okay?

By the way, my NFL coach of the year is Bengals coach, Marvin Lewis.

Just so you know.

Hiring a minority coaching candidate is always a dangerous sort of a trap for any team or college that wants to make that move.

Now you can huff and puff all you want to, call me a racist if you would like to, tell me that I myself have an agenda (and I do), so long as you are not stupid enough to not believe that my point concerning getting out from underneath a black head coach is more difficult than making the hire itself in the first place sometimes.

Oh, what's my agenda you're asking?

Simple really.

I want qualified people to get qualified jobs on the merit of being able to do the job - with an organization that has decided to make that hire and with an organization that stands behind that hire because they are convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that the coach they got is the coach they wanted...for no other reason(s) than they believe that coach to be the best man for the job. Period.

But what about when a franchise says that the minority coach they hired isn't the best guy for the job anymore? Uh-oh.

In explaining this as a reason for firing a black coach the reasons become too fuzzy for some...in the media of course.

Especially those overweight Lilly white columnists who like stand on their stools of everlasting repentance - while always inferring that the minority is kept down by the evil white men that own NFL teams and run major universities.

Organizations are put to the grinder, they have their motives questioned, their front office personnel is put under a microscope, agendas and cries of racism are certain to surface...this is ridiculous and it's insulting.

But its a fact too.

Lets say for a moment that I'm the owner of any old NFL team, and lets say that I decide for my own personal reasons, that come hell or high water, I'm going to hire a minority coach. I admit to myself (as many people will) that I am doing this because I want to further the black head coaching agenda - and because I know that this hire will bring my franchise positive public relations, as well as compliments from Floyd Keith and Jesse Jackson.

The coach then goes five years with my club, three of those years are under .500,one year we secured a wild card berth - and just this year we missed the playoffs by a game.

Now as I sit in my home sipping Cognac and puffing on a Monte Cristo Cigar, I decide that this particular coach has brought my team as far as I think he can take it.

I decide to make a change.

Pete Carroll is out their and I'm prepared to turn over football operations to him with a 30 million dollar five year contract.

But wait!

I then come to remember that the media loves my fictitious head coach. I remember that just last week my team was hailed in Sports Illustrated, not for being a Super Bowl type of a club, but for being a leader in minority coaching hires.

This coach has done a lot of charity work around the city, his wife is a nice women too, he has kids that have appeared in commercials with him on TV...I begin to re-think my position on firing this coach.

I'll get crucified if I make this move. Then there's Floyd Keith to think about. Jesse. Al. The NAACP. The Black Caucus...and I haven't even gotten around to thinking about how BET will view this move.

Hard to hire a black head coach.

Harder yet to fire a black head coach.

Truth, as they say.

Thanks for the note, Jim.

I think the fact that Edwards has now gotten on the carousel of NFL hack head coaches(taking up space formerly occupied by the likes of the lovely June Jones and Elvis weirdo Jerry Glanville) puts this to rest forever. In the same year Marv Lewis and Lovie Smith are the top 2 without any real argument, this is a dead issue. Owners, even the worst and dumbest ones, like to win. If a guy can cocah and win, he will get the job. Snd if he loses and sucks he'll be fired.

Winning sells in 2006 America. Everything else is nonsense.

The guy's point of Edwards ingratiating himself with the media is much closer to the truth. If you can influence those who report on you in a positive way, you can go far even when you have no idea what you're doing.

I can see everybody avoiding this thread like the plague. I by no means agree with what this guy says. I did not post this thread to encourage people to agree with it because we all hate herm.

I just found this and though it was INSANE and wanted to share.

I can see everybody avoiding this thread like the plague. I by no means agree with what this guy says. I did not post this thread to encourage people to agree with it because we all hate herm.

I just found this and though it was INSANE and wanted to share.

To Quote Jackie Chiles of Seinfeld Fame..

"If you black, you get it in the back"

or

"The Darker the berry, the bigger the harsher the prison terms"

or

"If he black, he will attack"

or

"If his skin is like the night, you know the money will be tight.."

Seriously, this Dino Costa guy sounds like a wanna be KKK guy who doesnt really know much about the current climate in the NFL..Black Coaches are being hired and succeeding!

LL

sounds like this guy doesn't think any black person is qualified for any job in america.

That's not what he said Smizz..He also said Marvin Lewis was his Coach of the Year! The NFL fines Teams that don't interview Black coaches..Imagine if there was a group that said we need more white W/r's or RB's?? I don't normally agree with Andy Rooney on CBS but this piece he had right..As Dino was with his..

Andy Rooney said on "60 Minutes" a few weeks back:

I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of

anything except numbers. The only things I can think of that are

truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund,

Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black

America. Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund,

Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White

America; and see what happens...Jesse Jackson will be knocking down

your door.

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a

killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no

one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, that

is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts!

ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE?

I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a

phobia, it is an opinion.

I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others because they

are different, weird, or tick me off.

When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities

where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling,

it is the Law of Probability.

I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of

cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English!

As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you

should have to speak English!

My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can

leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect

ours.

I think the police should have every right to shoot your

sorry a-- if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you

can't understand the word "freeze" or "stop" in English, see the

above lines.

I don't think just because you were not born in this

country, you are qualified for any special loan programs,

government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can

open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and

risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades

later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a

living document; and open to their interpretations.

I don't hate the rich. I don't pity the poor.

I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and

television. That doesn't stop you from watching them.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he

made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent

the next operating system that's better, and put your name on the

building.

It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but

it does take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their

little behinds when necessary, and say "NO!"

I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but

please don't pretend they are a political statement. And, please,

stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at

your ugly infected mouth as you serve me French fries!

I am sick of "Political Correctness." I know a lot of black

people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa; so how can

they be "African-Americans"? Besides, Africa is a continent. I

don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great,

great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe. I am

proud to be from America and nowhere else..

Seriously people, did you really think the Jets would lead the way with the first black HC to win a SB? Think about it for a second...we are not a trend setter. If the majority of HC's were black, and white HC's were the minority, I would feel the same way.

So, Dungy, Smith, Lewis (screw you Herm)...one of you guys win one so we can get that out of the way...

Seriously people, did you really think the Jets would lead the way with the first black HC to win a SB? Think about it for a second...we are not a trend setter. If the majority of HC's were black, and white HC's were the minority, I would feel the same way.

So, Dungy, Smith, Lewis (screw you Herm)...one of you guys win one so we can get that out of the way...

Great new Avatar Buddy!! No we wouldn't lead the way having the first Black HC to win a Super Bowl but we could have won the Golden Apron at the Midwest invitational BBQ Finals!! What we have to see is if Tags uses pressure again for the Jets to hire another minority Canidate from his program..I hear his very high on his Paper Boy! :mrgreen:

Great new Avatar Buddy!! No we wouldn't lead the way having the first Black HC to win a Super Bowl but we could have won the Golden Apron at the Midwest invitational BBQ Finals!! What we have to see is if Tags uses pressure again for the Jets to hire another minority Canidate from his program..I hear his very high on his Paper Boy! :mrgreen:

Savage, for some reason (wish I knew), Tags seems to have it in for the Jets. Maybe Tags is a closet Giants fan.

I want qualified people to get qualified jobs on the merit of being able to do the job - with an organization that has decided to make that hire and with an organization that stands behind that hire because they are convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that the coach they got is the coach they wanted...for no other reason(s) than they believe that coach to be the best man for the job. Period.

This should be the criteria for picking a coach - nothing else matters.

Savage, for some reason (wish I knew), Tags seems to have it in for the Jets. Maybe Tags is a closet Giants fan.

You have to remember the League office is in NYC! Tag's couldn't budge the Mara's into taking a puppy from his kennel..Enter a rookie owner and rookie GM and Tags had the makings of a place to plant his BBQ Chef! =D>

For further consideration of how a coach can still keep his job with the right skin color, but the wrong results, all one needs to do is to look in the direction of New York Jets head coach, Herman Edwards.

Edwards is well thought of across America by those who haven't a clue about his less than impressive coaching ability.

Wow, this writer just took a shot at BZ.

They have seen the Edwards video clips the last few years on ESPN, "you play to win the game", and all that pretty talk.

What those who advocate Edwards as a good coach don't realize, is that Edwards is routinely out coached by those on the opposition sideline, is bereft of any game management skills, allows the players on his teams to dictate the direction and procedures of his franchise, throws players under the bus by being the anonymous source in many newspaper stories, is not a coach who hold players accountable, is reactive versus being proactive, and generally has no sense of how to "coach" a football team.

He's dead on so far.....

But he is a nice guy to the media contingent who covers the Jets for the NY newspapers.

How nice?

Have you ever heard of any coach in the NFL, addressing the media in a collective sense during his daily media briefing - and then meeting with reporters for a good hour afterward, providing them with juicy morsels of information, all of them mostly off the record? Sound kosher to you?

Is this what Mike Shannahan does? Bill Belichick? Brian Billick? Bill Parcells? ANY coach of substance in the NFL?

Wonder why the New York press has been so hesitant to criticize Edwards as they should have over the past few years? Ever hear of not biting the hand that feeds you?

Herm knew from day one the press was the key to how he'd be perceived.

Especially those overweight Lilly white columnists who like stand on their stools of everlasting repentance - while always inferring that the minority is kept down by the evil white men that own NFL teams and run major universities.

Is Dino talking about Mark CannaLardo here?

Costa is full of sh*t, and I would say so, right to his face.

People love saying that mantra, "the best man for the job", but unfortunately, because the workplace, and because the NFL has proven itself to be racist in the past, these measures have to be put in place to give monorities a chance.

If the league did not have an "old boy network", and completely ignored black coaching candidates in the past, this sh*t wouldn't have to be in place. Does it help things? Maybe, maybe not. That can always be debated. You can also say that an owner should be able to hire whom they choose. That much is also true, to a point. The problem is not even giving someone who may be fully qualified, a chance or fair shot.

San Fran spit in the league's face a few years back, when Ted Cotrell was interviewed and the franchise admitted that he was the front runner for their HC position. Lo and behold, they hire Dennis Erickson, who wasn't even on their list.

This is the kind of stuff that's ugly.

I also love how this a$$hole completely and selectively left out Ray Rhodes and Art Shell. I fail to remember any boycotts, or lobbying from Mr. Jackson or any other black leaders when both were fried. Another point, though, is that Rhodes was only given one year. One. How many other times did we see one of the "good old boys" hired and rehired? a$$hole also paints the black leadership as automatically stepping in and raising hell anytime a black coach is fired. Complete bullsh*t. It didn't happen with Dusty Baker or Frank Robinson, did it?

Look. Hate Herm but don't blame this on race. The NY media did not get on Herm, not because of race, but exactly for the reasons he stated earlier. The simple fact that Herm hand fed them, and they wanted to avoid missing out on information. I find it hard to believe that it had to do with race.

Open the papers and Isaiah Thomas is vilified daily. What's preventing the beat writers and media, in general from speaking the truth?

Nothing.

I also love how this a$$hole completely and selectively left out Ray Rhodes and Art Shell. I fail to remember any boycotts, or lobbying from Mr. Jackson or any other black leaders when both were fried.

http://www.sportslawnews.com/archive/articles%201999/JesseJacksonletter.htm

Text of Letter from Jesse Jackson to the Green Bay Packers

Discusses firing of Ray Rhodes as head coach

The Associated Press released the following letter that Jesse Jackson’s Rainbow/PUSH Coalition sent to the Green Bay Packers regarding the teams recent firing of Ray Rhodes:

"We are writing to express our grave concerns and disappointment over the firing of Ray Rhodes and his entire coaching staff. Despite what could be considered a mediocre season by some, it would appear premature to dismiss Ray one year into a four-year contract. Any new coach deserves a chance to implement his system, which is presumably the reason they are hired. The question therefore begs - Was Ray Rhodes, an African American, held to a different standard? It is a question only you and the Packer organization can answer and it is one that deserves an answer because the impact of Ray's dismissal reaches far beyond Green Bay. With the dismissal of Ray Rhodes, the NFL lost one-third of its black head coaches. Such a blow is testimony to the shortage of black coaches in the league, a league where 65 percent of the players are African American. Not only has there not been an improvement in those numbers; there has been a retrenchment, which is unacceptable given the NFL's mandate for diversity. Compounding the situation was the dismissal of Sherm Lewis and Emmitt Thomas, the offensive and defensive coordinators of the Packers. One of the most direct paths to a head coaching job is through those positions and in this case, their train to a head coaching job has, at best, been sidetracked and, at worst, derailed. That Lewis had been with Green Bay for a number of years, and had been a major contributor to the recent glory years, makes his dismissal all the more puzzling. Our other concern has to do with the opening Ray's dismissal creates. As the list of serious candidates’ surfaces, we find African Americans conspicuously absent. Certainly there are African Americans who warrant consideration for the vacancy and you would remiss not to include them in the pool of candidates. We hope that the Packers organization will act accordingly. We deem this matter to be extremely serious and hope you will respond in that same vein, but we certainly would like to hear an explanation of why Ray was terminated so quickly. It is just too important to be ignored. We look forward to discussing this matter at your convenience. . . .

Thank you in advance for your prompt response.

Sincerely,

Reverend Jesse L. Jackson, Sr., President and Founder

Charles S. Farrell Director,

Rainbow Sports

Is it racist for me to say that there are more black people in the league than white people because black people inherently have more fast-twitch muscle fibers making them faster/stronger on average than white people? Its also true to say that intelligence on average has nothing to do with race, but education/upbringing. Since there are a lot more white people in the country than black people, doesn't that mean that there will be a larger portion of smart white people than smart black people only due to the sole fact that there are more white people than black people in the country. Doesn't that mean that there will probably be a lot more qualified white coaching candidates than black coaching candidates? That all being said, I don't really see how Jesse Jackson can compare the number of black players in the league to the number of black head coaches and make any kind of racist conclusions from it.

Anyway, if Costa was right, he might have a point. But he isn't, Herm was hired cause of his relationship with bradway, not because he was black.

Interesting stuff, Sperm.

That being said, I myself, did find it strange that Rhodes was canned so quickly, while other coaches were allowed years to try and turn things around.

That was a situation that required an explanation, because it happened so quickly, and because so, it begs to question why he wasn't afforded the same patience that other coaches were afforded.

Here's a question. Did Jackson or anyone else fire off a letter when Shell was fired, or when Rhodes was given the ax in Philly?

See, I don't remember any public outcry(other than Ricky Watters not extending for passes, etc)when he was let go in Philly.

Again, the issue has to do with performance. He sucked in Philly, and didn't deserve any support, simply because he didn't warrant it. Green Bay is a different story. No, it might have nothing to do with race, but ONE SEASON? Given the amount of black coaches at the time, and the lack of blacks in FO positions at the time, I could see why people would question it.

Hell, some of the worst coaches in history were given much more time. It's just so starnge, so out of the ordinanry, that the question was going to be asked.

I just think that Costa is reaching. I disagree with the notion that an owner will catch hell for firing a coach if he's a minority. Win or lose, that's what it comes down to. If you suck you deserve to be fired.

Archived