"Mariota is Aaron Rodgers in the waiting" per Dungy.

Shockwave

Dungy was on "The Dan Patrick Show" on Monday morning and gushed about Mariota, saying "he is going to be a great pro" and calling him "Aaron Rodgers in the waiting." He also said Mariota would fit nicely with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who presumably will be interested in drafting a quarterback and should have one of the earlier picks in the draft.

Dungy coached the Bucs from 1996-2001 before moving on to coach the Indianapolis Colts from 2002-08; he guided the Colts to the Super Bowl title in the '06 season.

Dungy knows a lot about Mariota: Dungy's son, Eric, was a wide receiver at Oregon from 2011-13 before finishing his career this season at USF.

Dungy was asked about Mariota's mild-mannered demeanor and whether that could hurt him in the NFL in terms of dealing with all the attention that comes from being the quarterback and a face of a franchise. Dungy said Mariota can grow into that role and said that it wouldn't be a factor unless Mariota ends up in "New York or Philadelphia."

Earlier in the show, Mariota -- who won the Heisman Trophy in almost-historic fashion Saturday night -- said he hadn't made any decision about turning pro. He said his parents would help him make the decision and said there are "a whole lot of factors" in play. He said staying in school would mean "another year to get better" and another year to enjoy what he called "the college experience." If Mariota does remain in school, he would play next fall as a graduate student.

One AFC college scouting director recently told NFL Media's Albert Breer that he expects to give Mariota a significantly higher grade than he gave Robert Griffin III in 2012; Griffin was the No. 2 pick in that draft. NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks wrote last week that Mariota "has all of the tools to be a dynamic offensive weapon" in the NFL.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com.

LOL! Give me a break. The Jets were NEVER in the running for Mariota regardless of yesterday's outcome. 

I did want to/would still draft Mariota.. but that's primarily because Geno Smith is the current Jets quarterback.

The guy's NFL comparison is Colin Kaepernick. Not Brady/Manning/Rodgers, Colin Kaepernick. Now, it's better than what the Jets currently have but there is zero proof that Marcus Mariota's style will transfer to the NFL. He is probably more likely to turn out like RGIII than Aaron Rodgers.

Let it go Jets fans, Mariota isn't a great enough quarterback to get so riled up over.

LOL! Give me a break. The Jets were NEVER in the running for Mariota regardless of yesterday's outcome.

I did want to/would still draft Mariota.. but that's primarily because Geno Smith is the current Jets quarterback.

The guy's NFL comparison is Colin Kaepernick. Not Brady/Manning/Rodgers, Colin Kaepernick. Now, it's better than what the Jets currently have but there is zero proof that Marcus Mariota's style will transfer to the NFL. He is probably more likely to turn out like RGIII than Aaron Rodgers.

Let it go Jets fans, Mariota isn't a great enough quarterback to get so riled up over.

Im going to assume that you haven't watched Oregon play a lot this season? Mariota and Kap are very similar athletically. What Kap's problem is above the shoulders. Mariota is going to be a top 10 QB in the NFL.

Frustrated Jet fans can rationalize this any way they can to heal, but Woody allowed Rex to screw all the fans that have put up with him for 6 years. 2 weeks can't come soon enough.

Nice stat about Colin

Colin K. has no 4th quarter TD's

So what, we're not getting him.

The same could have been said about Mark Sanchez. 

If Jacksonville gets the number 1 pick they are absolutely trading it to the highest bidder. That will be us, Tampa, or Tennessee. We will be talking about this kid, and all QB's until draft day. 

The same could have been said about Mark Sanchez. 

If Jacksonville gets the number 1 pick they are absolutely trading it to the highest bidder. That will be us, Tampa, or Tennessee. We will be talking about this kid, and all QB's until draft day. 

John Idzik can't trade up. It's against his religion. 

I would think a former NFL coach knows a ton more then you(No offense). Mariota is being compared to Aaron Rodgers - Not Kapernick. The only thing Kapernick and Mariota have in common is they are tall and fast. Thats it. 

Btw for those that are reading Mariota is getting graded higher then RG3:  RG3's grade coming out was not far from Andrew Lucks according to most. 

Im going to assume that you haven't watched Oregon play a lot this season? Mariota and Kap are very similar athletically. What Kap's problem is above the shoulders. Mariota is going to be a top 10 QB in the NFL.

Frustrated Jet fans can rationalize this any way they can to heal, but Woody allowed Rex to screw all the fans that have put up with him for 6 years. 2 weeks can't come soon enough.

I have watched him. He comes from a very similar type of offense that Geno Smith came from. Not saying that Mariota will wind up like Geno but how can you be so sure that he will be a top 10 quarterback when he's never played in a pro offense in his life?

My point is not that I think that Mariota will be bad, he'll probably be good. Maybe above average. My point is that he is not a prospect that teams should be tanking for and he's definitely not a prospect that fans should be enraged about missing out on with a win yesterday (even though they would have missed on him anyway). He's not even in the same stratosphere as Andrew Luck.

If Jet fans wanna get pissed because they won and missed on Jameis Winston, cool I get that. He's the quarterback that will be available. And he still might be at #6 because Tennessee could pass on him due to his off the field stuff.

I would think a former NFL coach knows a ton more then you(No offense). Mariota is being compared to Aaron Rodgers - Not Kapernick. The only thing Kapernick and Mariota have in common is they are tall and fast. Thats it. 

Btw for those that are reading Mariota is getting graded higher then RG3:  RG3's grade coming out was not far from Andrew Lucks according to most. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000400272/article/ask-5-who-does-marcus-mariota-of-oregon-remind-you-of

Read it.

I'm not just saying Colin Kaepernick out of thin air. Dungy is the ONLY person who says anything about Rodgers.

When Mariota is blowing it up in the league. I'll make sure to bump all these dumb ass posts. Though, I should get around to bumping all the dumbasses calling Carr a sh*t qb after the USC game.

So since people disagree with you now... you are going to be a dick in the future if you happen to be proven right? If that's the case, I sure hope for your sake you are never wrong about anything. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000400272/article/ask-5-who-does-marcus-mariota-of-oregon-remind-you-of

Read it.

I'm not just saying Colin Kaepernick out of thin air. Dungy is the ONLY person who says anything about Rodgers.

Ive seen that one - and your right there are even more people that without thinking will say Kapernick.  They are both tall and WR fast. However as the draft gets closer I think your going to see less and less of those comparisons. Mariota's throwing motion is light years ahead of Kapernicks. He is way more accurate and throws a better ball. Kap had to be groomed and have his whole motion altered. There is a reason he went in the second round. Besides being fast and tall that is where the comparisons will end. In that very article your already seeing comparisons to Sam Bradford and RG3 --- Extremely accurate guys coming out. 

Btw Love David Carr so you did nail that one if you were a fan. Him and Bridgewater were such scores. If we had just waited 1 more year to draft a QB.....

John Idzik can't trade up. It's against his religion. 

Idzik sure knows how to cut and waste the majority of our draft picks however. 

When Idzik is on his couch at home like the rest of us watching our new front office trade up Im sure he's going to be very pissed. 

Latest Mariota rumor is that Philly might be willing to trade the ranch to get him. 

If Jax gets that pick we know they are going to trade it - The entire offseason would then be dominated by these type of rumors. Im sure philly would trade the world for him as hes a perfect fit for that offense. 

People, people are we REALLY going to give up on Geno Smith after 2 years?

I'm not giving up, I think he'd make a fine 3rd string QB for a Canadian Football League team

fixed ^ ^

cheers ~ ~

:cheer:

Archived