"Mariota is Aaron Rodgers in the waiting" per Dungy.

Shockwave

The same could have been said about Mark Sanchez. 

If Jacksonville gets the number 1 pick they are absolutely trading it to the highest bidder. That will be us, Tampa, or Tennessee. We will be talking about this kid, and all QB's until draft day.

Or they could just take the best player which is Cooper and help Bortles.

Or they could just take the best player which is Cooper and help Bortles.

They still have Blackmon under contract and took two WRs in the second round this year they like in Lee and Robinson. Plus Alan Hurns was a great pickup as an undrafted FA. 

The Jags need o-line help. I can easily see them taking the top tackle available at 1 or trading down and taking multiple linemen. 

They still have Blackmon under contract and took two WRs in the second round this year they like in Lee and Robinson. Plus Alan Hurns was a great pickup as an undrafted FA. 

The Jags need o-line help. I can easily see them taking the top tackle available at 1 or trading down and taking multiple linemen. 

And Shorts can play.  Tackle would be interesting with Luke Joeckel finally playing a full season.  I see them going DE or like you said, trading down but for interior lineman. 

I can see them moving Joeckel to RT. He really hasn't been very good at all this year. 

I heard Boselli on the radio the other day breaking him down and he thinks highly of him.  Feels like he's progressing at the right pace.  

I could see that though, I guess.  That would be a quick trigger on him though, considering this was his first season since he was out for the entire year last year. 

Blackmon is a bust, Lee and Hurns are JAG, Robinson has potential but he's probably a decent #2 wr at this level. Cooper and Gordon are the 2 best players in the draft and Jax is taking one of them. Either one would be an enormous help for Bortles

Blackmon is a bust, Lee and Hurns are JAG, Robinson has potential but he's probably a decent #2 wr at this level. Cooper and Gordon are the 2 best players in the draft and Jax is taking one of them. Either one would be an enormous help for Bortles

Blackmon is an idiot. He is not a bust. Every time he's played he's been great. Dude just needs to grow up and stop smoking so much weed. 

An offensive line that would give him ample time to complete a 3-step drop would be an enormous help to Bortles. 

I don't care how good a receiver you give him, he can't throw to him if he's on his back. 

LOL! Give me a break. The Jets were NEVER in the running for Mariota regardless of yesterday's outcome. 

I did want to/would still draft Mariota.. but that's primarily because Geno Smith is the current Jets quarterback.

The guy's NFL comparison is Colin Kaepernick. Not Brady/Manning/Rodgers, Colin Kaepernick. Now, it's better than what the Jets currently have but there is zero proof that Marcus Mariota's style will transfer to the NFL. He is probably more likely to turn out like RGIII than Aaron Rodgers.

Let it go Jets fans, Mariota isn't a great enough quarterback to get so riled up over.

Comparison's are fun but COMPLETELY stupid and mean nothing. He's neither Kaepernick nor Rodgers. 

He's the best QB prospect this draft. Jets need one. They won yesterday. Now they def won't get him. The Jets suck and always will forever and ever. 

I've watched Mariota play a bunch this year. The guy has some good tools, strong arm, decent pocket presence, mobile. However, he is not ready to start day 1 in the NFL. He needs to sit and learn for at least a year so he can learn an NFL offense, how to be a pocket passer and even how to take snaps from under center. Whoever drafts him has to have that plan in place or IMO he will not be successful. 

I have watched him. He comes from a very similar type of offense that Geno Smith came from. Not saying that Mariota will wind up like Geno but how can you be so sure that he will be a top 10 quarterback when he's never played in a pro offense in his life?

My point is not that I think that Mariota will be bad, he'll probably be good. Maybe above average. My point is that he is not a prospect that teams should be tanking for and he's definitely not a prospect that fans should be enraged about missing out on with a win yesterday (even though they would have missed on him anyway). He's not even in the same stratosphere as Andrew Luck.

If Jet fans wanna get pissed because they won and missed on Jameis Winston, cool I get that. He's the quarterback that will be available. And he still might be at #6 because Tennessee could pass on him due to his off the field stuff.

There is no comparison between Geno and Mariota. Geno threw tons of screens to Tavon Austin and Stedman. Mariota throws the ball down the field with accuracy on the run. Mariota's game does incorporate more running, but not as much as he did as a junior.

Again, this whole argument is moot now because the Jets hierarchy if made with the three stooges. We will hopefully be relieving ourselves of 2/3 s of them in 14 days, but we are stuck with Woody.

We could still be in the hunt for Mariota IF.....Tampa Bay beats New Orleans on the last week of the season and Tennessee beats Jacksonville.  If Jags lose out that would give the #1 pick to the Jags. Both Tampa and the Titans would take Mariota with the first pic. Jags would trade the #1 if they get it. Guaranteed.  We could trade up to #1 from #5 or #6.  That would be about 1300 points. Our #1 and #2 this year, #2 and #3 next year.  Keep hope alive!

Latest Mariota rumor is that Philly might be willing to trade the ranch to get him. 

They will be around 20 in the draft assuming they miss the playoffs. What would be the package? Top three picks in 2015 and 2016 and 2017 first? Would have to be something like that.

Comparison's are fun but COMPLETELY stupid and mean nothing. He's neither Kaepernick nor Rodgers. 

He's the best QB prospect this draft. Jets need one. They won yesterday. Now they def won't get him. The Jets suck and always will forever and ever.

Defenses are learning how to stop pistol formation. Kaepernick has regressed terribly and Mariota is just like him. I'm amazed at how sure jets fans are that Mariota is going to be a lock to be a great player in the pros is he going to throw to that first read facing a secondary that has kam chancelor or Revis? Lol

Defenses are learning how to stop pistol formation. Kaepernick has regressed terribly and Mariota is just like him. I'm amazed at how sure jets fans are that Mariota is going to be a lock to be a great player in the pros is he going to throw to that first read facing a secondary that has kam chancelor or Revis? Lol

Because these are two separate issues I'll give you two separate answers. Harbaugh clearly made an effort to get away from the pistol offense this year. Could that be why Kaepernick has regressed?

Very few College QB's have to look past their first read. It's definitely a cause for concern with Mariota as it is with most QB prospects. NFL is all about diverse packages, schemes and formations now. It's everything.

Pro style shotgun, with one back, one tight end and three wideouts, Pro style I, with two backs, two wideouts and a tight end. An empty-backfield shotgun, with four wides and a tight end. A pistol with sidecar backs on either side and three wides. A pistol, with one back, two wides, and a tight end and slot tight end next to each other. A heavy formation, with three tight ends and two backs. The Wildcat. Power I, with three backs and two tight ends. 

It's nice to have a QB who can do both (throw and run). It's not a disadvantage just because Colin Kaepernick and RGIII are having bad years. I'd argue most of why both have regressed are due to, changes in scheme, injuries, and immaturity (early success probably got to their head.) Both are still very young as well. All young QBs struggle. BTW Luck is second in the NFL for most turnovers in 2014. 

What I love about Mariota is he has ALL the tools. Size, Speed, Arm and Character. I've said it a bunch of times already, he needs to sit for at least a year....but imo, he's the best QB prospect to come out in the last 3 years.

In other words, you should put roughly as much stock into Dungy's opinion of Mariota as you did into Rex's opinion of Tajh Boyd.

Or in other words, Dungy seems to be able to sense talent while Rex seems to be able to sense a guy who can't even complete a rookie season in the league. Atleast thats been his MO for the past 6 seasons. 

Archived