Sign in to follow this  
56mehl56

Parking/Tailgate

Don't know if anyone has seen this , but got this email from the Jets this morning.

Can't believe they are trying to implement this crap - as an improvement no less.  The Jets are simply clueless in all aspects !!!

You asked, we listened. As we gear up for our last home game in 2014 against the Patriots on 12/21, we wanted to make you aware of a change in Lot L (yellow parking pass lot). To improve your parking experience, for this game we will be utilizing “directed in parking” where a parking staff member will direct you to park in one spot. Please note the one car per one spot rule will be in full effect, and the parking lot will be filled in the order of your arrival.

Should you be parking in this lot we ask for your full cooperation as we look for ways to continue to make your parking experience better as expressed in the postgame surveys by our Season Ticket Holders. For a full site map for MetLife Stadium, please click here.

If you have any questions, please contact a Jets Representative at 800-469-JETS (5387). We look forward to seeing you on Sunday!

Sincerely,
The New York Jets

This is so stupid. That is a huge lot so they are going to bunch everyone together. And it you get there at 9:10am and your friend gets there at 9:15am, you can't park next to each other?

Why just Lot L?

Amazing isn't it. And to think they did this as a guise to improve the gameday experience - haha.

• Upvote 1

Why not meet outside the stadium before you go through the turnstile where they take your parking pass 3-4 cars go in together and park together. Instead of 1 guy showing up 3 hours later than everyone else and expecting a spot to be saved. I applaud parking lot rule enforcement been a longtime coming as far as I'm concerned. You pay $25 for 1 spot you dont buy the entire lot and expect to do as you please. 

Yes its logistically possible for thousands of groups of tailgaters to all group up together outside the stadium before going in . I'm sure local law enforcement would love this. I have a better idea why don't you just get there earlier like everyone else. 

• Upvote 1

Rutgers and many stadiums have done this for yrs.  its no biggie, and doesn't stop tailgaiting.  blame the jerkoffs that take up way too many spots

I blame the entilelists who feel because that bought a ticket they can park in the front row and still get to the game at 12:00. If you go to a movie and show up when its starting are you allowed to sit in the best seats - no , you find whatever's left. Because its inconvienient for the season ticket holders who show up an hour before the game - the rules need to change to impact everyone else. It should go back to the way it used to be no assigned parking lots, first come first served - unless you have a physical handicap and thus reserved handicap spots.

That is not it at all.  If I get there late I am fine with slim pickens.  What really, really sucks is driving up and down row after row with like 10-25% of spots taken up by lawn chairs reserving them.  Or spillover from tailgates.  I don't want to ruin anyone's fun so I like never.....maybe once?.....ask people to move.  But then I spend another 10-20 minutes driving up and down aisles looking for a spot when there are really a ton left...just reserved by some folks ignoring the 1 spot per car policy.

Add to that the useless attendants who don't enforce the policy.  They just stand around and sometimes point you in seemingly arbitrary directions.

It is the people who feel entitled to more than 1 space and the attendants who do nothing that are bringing this on.

So instead of having the useless attendants having to direct every single car that enters the lot like they're proposing for Sunday, why couldn't they just enforce the 1 car per spot rule. What will happen SUnday is that they'll direct people to a spot and 5 minutes later they'll move somewhere else to be with their friends.  Again I have no problem with them enforcing 1 car per spot and no holding spots  I have a problem with them  telling us we can't park where we want so that late arrivers have a spot.

• Upvote 1

very well said.  the jerkoff tailgaiters screwed it up for everyone,  blame them

So from 8AM - 11AM everyone entering the parking lot is inconvienced so that the tree hugger who gets there at noon can have a spot - I get it yes blame the jerkoff tailgaiters.

Nothing its the guys who dress like its Halloween bring the sound system out of parents basement set up a tent take up 4 spots to eat hot dogs and chips reserve additional spaces with cones they stole from a construction site and think they are cool who also turn the area into a landfill.

Meanwhile other fans who also paid for parking are being forced further away because the lot is full by parking lot babysitters who dont do their damn jobs. 

The NFL experience isn't getting blasted out of your mind and hosting a demolition day tailgate party theres no room for fans like this in my opinion. 

We've been tailgaiting at the Meadowlands/Metlife since the Jets moved here. Our group was quite large in the beginning 25-30 which has dwindled down to about a dozen now. We setup our tent and grill but we always get there early to grab an end spot so were not taking extra spaces. So now with these new rules we'll be setting our tent and grill up in the middle of an aisle ?? wherever the human traffic cones point us - how does that help things .

And imagine the traffic geting in as each car awaits said traffic cones on where to park. So for the let's get there at 12 crew don't be surprised if the new and improved change doesn't result in you spending 35-40 minutes in line geting into the stadium before you can park.  But hey your entitled to your parking space so let everyone suffer,

Im all for tailgating we all like to have a yahoo good time but its those that go crazy that ruin it for everyone else. Ever try to navigate a row 2 hours before game time where there might be empty spots but you can't get down the isle because of all the mayhem. Metlife parking spaces are way too small to tailgate properly in. Damn you Woody Johnson.

Part of it is really a traffic flow problem especially in L . They force a lot of traffic on the access road between the yellow and green parking areas then the cars enter the front of the lot where all of the spots are taken. If they flowed traffic into the back of the lot it wouldn't be so much an issue. But then again I'm asking a lot of the human traffic cones masquerading as parking lot attendants.

I went to the Buffalo game and tried to park in my usual Lot 26 area. A large group of filthy Bills fans had taken about 12 spots each for their Kielbasa tailgates and then completely blocked up the driving lanes with chairs, bean bag throws and their drunken selves making it necessary to almost have a fist fight to just be able to drive away and finally find a spot about 1/3 of a mile further away than usual. Yes, I contacted security, Yes, I spoke with the stadium chief of security, Yes, I contacted the Jets on Monday. If this welcome change in policy is somehow due to the efforts of fans such as me and reduces the numbers of slobs taking multiple spots to get sloshed for 4 hours before a game, I say THANK YOU JETS.

Behave like a human, show consideration for other fans and have fun and food pregame, FINE. Tailgate Joe and Flagman are both great examples of great food and conduct

Blame the inconsiderate, unruly and drunk minority of tailgaters for this policy change, not the Jets

The opposing fan thing is really a problem unto itself. Because so many tickets are for sale by JET FANS the opposing teams come to the stadium in droves . And since they have no established tailgate routine for our stadium they flock together with they're own type creating the bigger tailgate - which causes many of the issues stated by you and otehrs. Not to say this doesn't happen with our own fans tailgates , but those tend to be smaller in size unless its a an organized outfit .

It's not about the amount of available spaces. It's the timing.

If I arrive at the game 2 hours early I can get a spot and not worry about tailgaters at all. But if I arrive at the game 30 minutes before kickoff several of the lots are closed already and they're closed already because of tailgaters either taking up more than 1 spot or tailgates that spill out into the roads to the point where they're obstructed and the attendants can't navigate cars through to the spots that are still open.

By segregating tailgaters into their own sections in their own lots all this stuff goes away. Imagine the back half of a lot filling up 3 hours before kickoff 100% filled with partying tailgaters and the front half of the lot remaining virtually empty until 30 minutes before kickoff at which point it can fill up with non-tailgaters in an orderly fashion. The issue is that tailgaters are allowed free reign to spread out all over the lot and after an hour they obstruct spots and roadways to the point where security has to shut them down even though 100s of spots may still be open.

SAR I

The problem with your scenario is that the prime tailgaiting spots are in the front of the lot, the spaces near islands and at the end of rows with the extra space at the end of the spot, this helps tailgaters avaoid taking multiple spots.  Plus there has to be some benefit for getting there 5 hours early for a game ( shorter walk). Flip your scenario and reserve the back portion of the lot for late arrivers and then funnel them in the back starting at 11 not through the front (between the green/yellow )which causes the big traffic issue. This scenario makes much more sense , but I can't see how the parking lot staff would ever enforce it effectively.

The middle of the aisle tailgaters who think they own the parking lot and those who take up more than 1 spot are too blame for any and all changes to the rules not the people who obey the rules and tailgate.

Why dont they also do like they do at college games and require tailgaters to put all garbage in a bag and leave in the aisle near their car to be picked up while fans are in the game instead of turning the lot into a landfill.

They actually ride around and hand out plastic bags to dispose of trash/recycling. Some obviously can't be bothered using them. But we've used the bags only to find them ripped open and scattered when returning from the game. My guess is the "mongers looking for recycling" are wandering the lots looking to make their "millions". Still the system could be improved, but changing the mindset of the fans who believe they can do as they wish - is a harder nut to crack.

If can collectors are wandering the lots where is security?  MetLife is too blame for alot that is allowed to go on their the NFL experience at Jets games isn't what it used to be and never will be. 

Also we've seen the various "fundraiser"/panhandlers trolling the lots , I think security in the parkng lots is a absolute job. Which is even more reason why I have no faith in this assisted parking ever working effectively. They would need State troopers along with each parking crew and we all know that's not a cheap bill for Metlife/Jets.

I love this! Way to think outside of the box!

I bet the jets will go in the other direction and start selling PSLs - Parking Space Licenses. You pay for the right to pay for a specific parking space. There will be an auction. Maybe there will be some PSL-free spaces. We will all try to get spaces in sections right next to more expensive sections for better value. There will be payment plans. It will work magically.

Paraphrasing SAR - Investment Gold  :winking0001:

Our group which is usually there at 8 AM has a tradition of doing a holiday breakfast out before the last home game . We got to lot L in various cars at about 11:15 AM - saw no sign of parking enforcement and found plenty of spots together in L8. Glad to hear they tried the directed parking and it failed - its just not a viable solution. As others have pointed out in this thread there are better options and more effective means of making the parking a win-win for everyone. 

Jets should go to Disney or heck even Great Adventure and learn how to do "directed in" parking.

And enforce the damn rules.  1 spot.

Difference is people don't tailgate at Disney or Great Adventure. Directed in Parking is a stupid idea for football games. Let them save a small lot or portion of a lot for late arrivers , let them get directed parking .

Why should late arrivers not get a parking spot because those that are tailgating are breaking the rules in place by taking up more than 1 spot with something other than a car.

Where did I say they shouldn't get a spot. I said they should reserve a lot for them and if needed use directed parking for the late arrivals . 

all they have to do is go to Rutgers.  its works fine with ZERO problems.  they have been doing this for yrs. 

Sorry but Rutgers isn't Metlife and I've been to games there. What works in a smaller venue doesn't always work on a larger scale,

How about numbering the spots and your parking pass number the spots in the lots thats where you park regardless of what time you get there. Example Green lot spot 469 problem solved. 

Never work unless they come up with better technology. They would need a gazillion parking attendents and police to deal with people parked in the wrong spots. Now if they had some kind of electronic lock , that would allow entry into a space that is triggered by the chip in your parking pass - bingo .  

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company