Parking/Tailgate

56mehl56

If I arrive after 12:00 on gameday the two most convenient lots for my family are closed and it's because a large percentage of tailgaters selfishly take more than the 1 spot they paid for.

Because of this selfishness, I have to park on the other side of the stadium or get to the stadium 2 hours before gametime needlessly making an already-long day 1 1/2 hours longer needlessly. And with 3 kids in tow, killing time from 11AM to 1PM is horrible, all we can do is go into the stadium early and watch empty seats and listen to rude rap music.

So, no, you don't get it now.

SAR I

I don't go any more. But when I did often the tailgate was the best part.

If you show up at Noon for a 1PM game, it's laughable to think you can get into an NFL stadium in time for kickoff. Which is why people started tailgating to begin with; you had to come early to get a decent spot and be ready to go in and get through that (joke of ) security by 1215/1230. And it's gotten worse since 9/11. Not saying your a bad guy, but not realistic. Getting there late(and Noon is late) means you will sit in traffic and get crappy parking. Complaining about that is like complaining about sunrise and sunset.

Looks to me that the Braintrust sees that vast expanse of fans partying and wants to monetize it. Matter of time until they ban coolers, grills and glass bottles and herd you into some crappy party tent/corral.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gates open five hours before kick off. I personaly get there about 8:30 for a 1 o'clock game, partly because I like to tailgate but partly because I know if I get there to late the parking lot can be a nightmare to find a spot. I park along a curb and do not take multiple parking spaces. I also do not expect the Jets to change anything about parking just for me. If I get there late I know what I am getting into. All this cyring, wha wha wha I can't have my own way wha wha wha. If I get to the mall late to Christmas shop the same thing happens..... It's life

Very Accurate post, esp the Christmas analogy.  Those going Christmas shopping this Saturday will be parking a long way away from the mall and sit in traffic just to get there.  Same goes with the game.  Get there early, few problems, get there late, traffic and left over spots.  Same goes for all the local sports teams and events. 

I went to the Buffalo game and tried to park in my usual Lot 26 area. A large group of filthy Bills fans had taken about 12 spots each for their Kielbasa tailgates and then completely blocked up the driving lanes with chairs, bean bag throws and their drunken selves making it necessary to almost have a fist fight to just be able to drive away and finally find a spot about 1/3 of a mile further away than usual. Yes, I contacted security, Yes, I spoke with the stadium chief of security, Yes, I contacted the Jets on Monday. If this welcome change in policy is somehow due to the efforts of fans such as me and reduces the numbers of slobs taking multiple spots to get sloshed for 4 hours before a game, I say THANK YOU JETS.

Behave like a human, show consideration for other fans and have fun and food pregame, FINE. Tailgate Joe and Flagman are both great examples of great food and conduct

Blame the inconsiderate, unruly and drunk minority of tailgaters for this policy change, not the Jets

If you show up at Noon for a 1PM game, it's laughable to think you can get into an NFL stadium in time for kickoff. Which is why people started tailgating to begin with; you had to come early to get a decent spot and be ready to go in and get through that (joke of ) security by 1215/1230. And it's gotten worse since 9/11. Not saying your a bad guy, but not realistic. Getting there late(and Noon is late) means you will sit in traffic and get crappy parking. Complaining about that is like complaining about sunrise and sunset.

Looks to me that the Braintrust sees that vast expanse of fans partying and wants to monetize it. Matter of time until they ban coolers, grills and glass bottles and herd you into some crappy party tent/corral.

Living in Florida this whole debate doesn't really affect me much, I only go to 1, tops 2 games a year. This year none.

The solution does seem to be to designate certain lots tailgate lots, and most not. If you want to tail gate, and party the additional walk to your seats will be a part of the price.

Actually I think Bugg is right. The end game of all of this is to do away with tailgates all together, and get people into tents, with cheesy bands, high priced bad food, and beer.

Actually I think Bugg is right. The end game of all of this is to do away with tailgates all together, and get people into tents, with cheesy bands, high priced bad food, and beer.

A part of me wants to agree with you guys but the NFL is having a hard time getting people to the stadiums to begin with.  HDTV, insane concession prices, Red Zone Channel ect have all made it easier to just stay home.  Tailgating is one of the draws of going to games, can't believe the Jets brain trust is so obtuse to try to take over tailgating but I've been known to be wrong before

Using the 70% rule and the fact that there has to be what? - 5-10,000 spaces in the Yellow lot?  Then there's at least a couple of thousand spaces occupied by fans that will NOT p*ss on your sneakers and spit on your car.   Find another area in the Yellow to park.  Not brain surgery.  Better yet, get the Green passes and all of your problems are solved.

It's not about the amount of available spaces. It's the timing.

If I arrive at the game 2 hours early I can get a spot and not worry about tailgaters at all. But if I arrive at the game 30 minutes before kickoff several of the lots are closed already and they're closed already because of tailgaters either taking up more than 1 spot or tailgates that spill out into the roads to the point where they're obstructed and the attendants can't navigate cars through to the spots that are still open.

By segregating tailgaters into their own sections in their own lots all this stuff goes away. Imagine the back half of a lot filling up 3 hours before kickoff 100% filled with partying tailgaters and the front half of the lot remaining virtually empty until 30 minutes before kickoff at which point it can fill up with non-tailgaters in an orderly fashion. The issue is that tailgaters are allowed free reign to spread out all over the lot and after an hour they obstruct spots and roadways to the point where security has to shut them down even though 100s of spots may still be open.

SAR I

If I arrive at the game 2 hours early I can get a spot and not worry about tailgaters at all. But if I arrive at the game 30 minutes before kickoff several of the lots are closed already and they're closed already because of tailgaters either taking up more than 1 spot or tailgates that spill out into the roads to the point where they're obstructed and the attendants can't navigate cars through to the spots that are still open.

By segregating tailgaters into their own sections in their own lots all this stuff goes away. Imagine the back half of a lot filling up 3 hours before kickoff 100% filled with partying tailgaters and the front half of the lot remaining virtually empty until 30 minutes before kickoff at which point it can fill up with non-tailgaters in an orderly fashion. The issue is that tailgaters are allowed free reign to spread out all over the lot and after an hour they obstruct spots and roadways to the point where security has to shut them down even though 100s of spots may still be open.

SAR I

Make the arena side no tailgating and you are in the stadium 10 minutes after you park your car at 12:30.  Already have the garage there and that is non tailgating.  But correct me if I am wrong, but I do remember from the JI discussions on this, that you have a Green Pass, which is the way to go if you are a late arrival. 

I will also add that for Giants games, if you get there after 10AM for a 1PM game with a Blue Pass (they have only two classes of parking passes), you have a good chance of ending up in Lot P, which has plenty of spaces available and a short bus ride to the Pepsi Gate. Problem with the Jets is the three tier system of parking and the Yellow pass holders do not want to park in Lot P as that is a orange pass lot, even if they arrive at 12:30. 

I don't think it's about monitization, I think they're simply trying to react to the negative feedback they're getting from non-tailgaters who have to get there 2 hours early and wade through a frat party to get in the front door. It's not a good experience and it's the experience that the NFL is most concerned with.

Understand that league attendance is severely hampered these days by HDTV's and fantasy football, ticket prices are high, and 50% of the teams in the league are out of the playoff picture by Halloween due to the lack of quality quarterbacks. The NFL has been doing things like adding wi-fi, offering Red Zone, creating rewards programs, banning smoking, and the rest in order to enhance the experience.

So when fans (raises hand) point out to the Jets that the parking situation is awful and we have to get there too early and we have to walk through Vietnam to get to the front gates they're listening and trying to create a process to make both the tailgater and the non-tailgater happy. This is an easy fix, by the way. Tailgaters go to this lot, non-tailgaters go to that lot, problem solved. It's a timing issue and an enforcement issue, not a cultural issue.

SAR I

A part of me wants to agree with you guys but the NFL is having a hard time getting people to the stadiums to begin with.  HDTV, insane concession prices, Red Zone Channel ect have all made it easier to just stay home.  Tailgating is one of the draws of going to games, can't believe the Jets brain trust is so obtuse to try to take over tailgating but I've been known to be wrong before

Which is why PSLs and this kind of ballbreaking is such stupid business. At the exact time watching the game at home or in your local gin mill is a much better experience in every way the Jets and Giants have made it more expensive generally and more a pain in the ass as far as parking, security, traffic. I do not understand how you by design you have a worse crowd and traffic situation than they had in the old stadium. It's not a hard decision to stay home, and they don't seem to grasp that at all. There probably should be designated tailgate lots, no argument there. But I cannot understand why you wouldn't talgate because getting in and out is such a total pain in the ass. Might as well get there early and hang out until the traffic dissapates. Unless you enjoy bumper to bumper.

You know the workers close off lots with plenty of empty spaces- blame them not the Jet fans actually tailgating

The workers close off the lots because a) too many tailgaters have taken up multiple spaces and B) too many tailgaters have spilled off their bumpers and across the roadways making it impossible to get through. Some tailgaters do this deliberately, they park in the middle of an aisle and spill out into the middle with cornhole and grills and a 5-on-5 drill and no attendants or cars can get through.

SAR I

I went to the Buffalo game and tried to park in my usual Lot 26 area. A large group of filthy Bills fans had taken about 12 spots each for their Kielbasa tailgates and then completely blocked up the driving lanes with chairs, bean bag throws and their drunken selves making it necessary to almost have a fist fight to just be able to drive away and finally find a spot about 1/3 of a mile further away than usual. Yes, I contacted security, Yes, I spoke with the stadium chief of security, Yes, I contacted the Jets on Monday. If this welcome change in policy is somehow due to the efforts of fans such as me and reduces the numbers of slobs taking multiple spots to get sloshed for 4 hours before a game, I say THANK YOU JETS.

Behave like a human, show consideration for other fans and have fun and food pregame, FINE. Tailgate Joe and Flagman are both great examples of great food and conduct

Blame the inconsiderate, unruly and drunk minority of tailgaters for this policy change, not the Jets

The opposing fan thing is really a problem unto itself. Because so many tickets are for sale by JET FANS the opposing teams come to the stadium in droves . And since they have no established tailgate routine for our stadium they flock together with they're own type creating the bigger tailgate - which causes many of the issues stated by you and otehrs. Not to say this doesn't happen with our own fans tailgates , but those tend to be smaller in size unless its a an organized outfit .

SAR I

The problem with your scenario is that the prime tailgaiting spots are in the front of the lot, the spaces near islands and at the end of rows with the extra space at the end of the spot, this helps tailgaters avaoid taking multiple spots.  Plus there has to be some benefit for getting there 5 hours early for a game ( shorter walk). Flip your scenario and reserve the back portion of the lot for late arrivers and then funnel them in the back starting at 11 not through the front (between the green/yellow )which causes the big traffic issue. This scenario makes much more sense , but I can't see how the parking lot staff would ever enforce it effectively.

Ftr I don't think SAR I indulges in adult beverages from what I remember. So if you go to the stadium at 11am for a 1pm game and you have your 6 pack of Poland spring with you, trying to drive through lot L with that annoying L7 crew blocking the way with beer pong tables and hacky sack games infuriates you. I'm assuming the minority Poland spring people have been hammering the jets with emails lol

Ftr I don't think SAR I indulges in adult beverages from what I remember. So if you go to the stadium at 11am for a 1pm game and you have your 6 pack of Poland spring with you, trying to drive through lot L with that annoying L7 crew blocking the way with beer pong tables and hacky sack games infuriates you. I'm assuming the minority Poland spring people have been hammering the jets with emails lol

Must be the Fanta group causing this problem then

SAR I

Incorporate your PSL logic to paying an insignificant upcharge prorated over 30 years for a Green parking pass.  Problem solved.

This is how they do it in Miami. You pay for parking and some snot nosed 14 year old kid points to where you should park. I remember one kid insisting that Joebaby park in a front parking spot straight in so he couldn't access his tailgate. After pointing out "how can I tailgate"? Snot nosed kid let him move.

It's funny how they do that in Miami when the lot is usually half empty anyway.  Maybe it's just more of an issue when the Jets come to town.

The workers close off the lots because a) too many tailgaters have taken up multiple spaces and B) too many tailgaters have spilled off their bumpers and across the roadways making it impossible to get through. Some tailgaters do this deliberately, they park in the middle of an aisle and spill out into the middle with cornhole and grills and a 5-on-5 drill and no attendants or cars can get through.

SAR I

The middle of the aisle tailgaters who think they own the parking lot and those who take up more than 1 spot are too blame for any and all changes to the rules not the people who obey the rules and tailgate.

Why dont they also do like they do at college games and require tailgaters to put all garbage in a bag and leave in the aisle near their car to be picked up while fans are in the game instead of turning the lot into a landfill.

It's funny how they do that in Miami when the lot is usually half empty anyway. Maybe it's just more of an issue when the Jets come to town.

It still makes me giggle when I think about that letter the Dolphins sent you thanking you for being such a great fan for purchasing group tickets. :rl:

The middle of the aisle tailgaters who think they own the parking lot and those who take up more than 1 spot are too blame for any and all changes to the rules not the people who obey the rules and tailgate.

Why dont they also do like they do at college games and require tailgaters to put all garbage in a bag and leave in the aisle near their car to be picked up while fans are in the game instead of turning the lot into a landfill.

They actually ride around and hand out plastic bags to dispose of trash/recycling. Some obviously can't be bothered using them. But we've used the bags only to find them ripped open and scattered when returning from the game. My guess is the "mongers looking for recycling" are wandering the lots looking to make their "millions". Still the system could be improved, but changing the mindset of the fans who believe they can do as they wish - is a harder nut to crack.

They actually ride around and hand out plastic bags to dispose of trash/recycling. Some obviously can't be bothered using them. But we've used the bags only to find them ripped open and scattered when returning from the game. My guess is the "mongers looking for recycling" are wandering the lots looking to make their "millions". Still the system could be improved, but changing the mindset of the fans who believe they can do as they wish - is a harder nut to crack.

If can collectors are wandering the lots where is security?  MetLife is too blame for alot that is allowed to go on their the NFL experience at Jets games isn't what it used to be and never will be. 

If can collectors are wandering the lots where is security?  MetLife is too blame for alot that is allowed to go on their the NFL experience at Jets games isn't what it used to be and never will be. 

Also we've seen the various "fundraiser"/panhandlers trolling the lots , I think security in the parkng lots is a absolute job. Which is even more reason why I have no faith in this assisted parking ever working effectively. They would need State troopers along with each parking crew and we all know that's not a cheap bill for Metlife/Jets.

The problem with your scenario is that the prime tailgaiting spots are in the front of the lot, the spaces near islands and at the end of rows with the extra space at the end of the spot, this helps tailgaters avaoid taking multiple spots.  Plus there has to be some benefit for getting there 5 hours early for a game ( shorter walk). Flip your scenario and reserve the back portion of the lot for late arrivers and then funnel them in the back starting at 11 not through the front (between the green/yellow )which causes the big traffic issue. This scenario makes much more sense , but I can't see how the parking lot staff would ever enforce it effectively.

That's fine, I wouldn't mind a slightly longer walk if it meant that there was a spot there at 12:00 or 12:30 when I arrive. That said, by putting the tailgaters closer to the stadium it forces all the non-tailgaters to walk through the scene to get into the stadium whereas putting the tailgaters further out the non-tailgater wouldn't even know it was taking place.

Not trying to kill tailgating, just trying to eliminate the early closing of parking lots and reduce the exposure of the frat party to my children.

SAR I

There are enough lots to create a large tailgate-only zone.

And similar to season tickets, they could offer single/double/triple sized spaces and number them so a fan knew that he had the same spot for every game, no different than reserved seating, we'd have fully reserved parking. Lot D Row 22 Space 5. Print it on the parking pass, have to get there by 11AM, done.

Like I said, this is a timing problem, it's not hard to fix it.

SAR I

First off, welcome, nice to see us back on this subject.

Next, you're spot-on regarding non-tailgating lots, that would be terrific and solve everyone's issue once and for all.

Lastly, this isn't a Jets disaster, it's the Jets trying to make 70% of the fans happy by simply opening up spots that are taken by selfish tailgaters (note, not you and others like you). Though not intended, the Jets are putting tailgaters in the same situation that the non-tailgaters have been in for decades, making them compromise their experience without being able to do a damn thing about it. Perhaps they (again, not you who only takes your 1 spot) will now understand why the rest of us are so frustrated.

"Tailgating" is cool. Few guys in a car, small grill, a cooler, set up right at their bumper, eat some steaks, drink some beers, no problemo. But when they take up 2 spots and blast their music and curse and relieve their bladders on cars, that's not right, that's disgusting and the NFL needs to correct it.

SAR I

When I said Jets disaster I meant just the entire season in general.  Lousy season.  I think we finished 3-13 this year and go 1-15 next year a repeat of the Kotite era.  Billboards up to fire the GM, etc.  The parking is just another headline that gets the fan base irked.  I don't know if I agree on the 70% of the fans are non tailgaters.  There are some people with a small grill and a few beers, some who are drunken messes funelling beers and don't even eat, some just eat a sub sandwhich and toss the football, some have a pretty elaborate set up with food, beer, etc and some even cater.  There are some who come late too.

In 1991 at 11 years old my name came off the waiting list.  Back then it was sub sandwhiches and tossing the football.  As I got older we added a charcoal grill and some beer and then I eventually bought a propane grill to eliminate that charcoal disaster.  For me where I park along an island that have parking spots and I'm away from the mess you sometimes have in the middle of the rows of parking.  The enforcement of how people set up is the biggest issue.  I know by me at 8 am I see them out enforcing some of the parking set ups but at 10 am when more people come in there is nothing going on anymore. 

The part that irks me is at the Fan Advisory Board Meeting they said to us "we know tailgate is king don't change it." yet they still are trying to. 

The biggest problem I know is the traffic build up around 10 am or so.  The Steelers game this year was horrific since we had so many fans who had no clue where to go since the Steeler fans invaded the place.  If the Jets would enforce the policies there would be less problems. 

I am not technologically advanced like some on here so my apologies but here is a link to the Super Bowl parking set up.  Last year Super Bowl had a similar set up.  Just sell people a pass for a specific lot.  For example I've been in lot K since I was 11 years old (Jets if you read this don't take me away from there), let me buy a pass for lot K all season.  Others park in lot L sell them a pass for lot L for the season.  If you do it this way and don't oversell a parking lot, and enforce the one space rule everyone is fine on Sundays and there is less traffic since everyone knows their assigned lots to park in.

https://superbowl.clickandpark.com/shop

When I said Jets disaster I meant just the entire season in general.  Lousy season.  I think we finished 3-13 this year and go 1-15 next year a repeat of the Kotite era.  Billboards up to fire the GM, etc.  The parking is just another headline that gets the fan base irked.  I don't know if I agree on the 70% of the fans are non tailgaters.  There are some people with a small grill and a few beers, some who are drunken messes funelling beers and don't even eat, some just eat a sub sandwhich and toss the football, some have a pretty elaborate set up with food, beer, etc and some even cater.  There are some who come late too.

In 1991 at 11 years old my name came off the waiting list.  Back then it was sub sandwhiches and tossing the football.  As I got older we added a charcoal grill and some beer and then I eventually bought a propane grill to eliminate that charcoal disaster.  For me where I park along an island that have parking spots and I'm away from the mess you sometimes have in the middle of the rows of parking.  The enforcement of how people set up is the biggest issue.  I know by me at 8 am I see them out enforcing some of the parking set ups but at 10 am when more people come in there is nothing going on anymore

The part that irks me is at the Fan Advisory Board Meeting they said to us "we know tailgate is king don't change it." yet they still are trying to. 

The biggest problem I know is the traffic build up around 10 am or so.  The Steelers game this year was horrific since we had so many fans who had no clue where to go since the Steeler fans invaded the place.  If the Jets would enforce the policies there would be less problems. 

This. I am outside the gate at 6:30 a.m., and in the lot right at 8. As we're setting up, just pulling things out, we get told we need to move it closer the vehicle -- which is fine. we understand and comply when its all set up -- but by 10 the people around us have stuff all over the lane and its crazy and the lot attendants don't do anything about it. 

This. I am outside the gate at 6:30 a.m., and in the lot right at 8. As we're setting up, just pulling things out, we get told we need to move it closer the vehicle -- which is fine. we understand and comply when its all set up -- but by 10 the people around us have stuff all over the lane and its crazy and the lot attendants don't do anything about it. 

Which gate do you wait outside of?  I'm there arond 7:40 by the route 3 entrance.  People think I'm crazy to get there 20 minutes before the gates open. 

I gotta admit: it is pretty annoying to be looking for a spot and seeing a bunch of them tied up with white trash sitting in lawn chairs. It's one thing to have a nice, organized L7 deal off to the side, but those dirtbags tying up an extra spot to sit around for two hours with their pal is absurd. 

I am not technologically advanced like some on here so my apologies but here is a link to the Super Bowl parking set up.  Last year Super Bowl had a similar set up.  Just sell people a pass for a specific lot.  For example I've been in lot K since I was 11 years old (Jets if you read this don't take me away from there), let me buy a pass for lot K all season.  Others park in lot L sell them a pass for lot L for the season.  If you do it this way and don't oversell a parking lot, and enforce the one space rule everyone is fine on Sundays and there is less traffic since everyone knows their assigned lots to park in.

https://superbowl.clickandpark.com/shop

that's what Rutgers does.  they have designated lots,  and do the assigned parking row by row.  

There are enough lots to create a large tailgate-only zone.

And similar to season tickets, they could offer single/double/triple sized spaces and number them so a fan knew that he had the same spot for every game, no different than reserved seating, we'd have fully reserved parking. Lot D Row 22 Space 5. Print it on the parking pass, have to get there by 11AM, done.

Like I said, this is a timing problem, it's not hard to fix it.

SAR I

I attend the Far Hills Fox hunt yearly and the bigger the space the more you pay for it maybe this is what Metlife needs to do if tailgate hogs want 3-4 spaces make them pay for them. 

Archived