How Appealing is Jets likely Head Coach Vacancy? Not Very

flgreen

This is why that win last Sunday was so frustrating. If this was a young team like the Raiders or Jaguars with some FO/HC pieces in place I can get the morale boost of a win. Both the coaching and GM jobs for a franchise that is in need of a complete overhaul, is constantly criticized by the media, and has an owner who doesn't seem to have any clue of what direction to take things in, cannot be appealing.

The two selling points that the Jets potentially had were cap space and a really high draft pick with an opportunity to bring in a franchise QB. Obviously from a HC perspective, the Jets could use an offensive mind for a change. That side of the football is atrocious and needs some focus. Coaches know they might get one shot at a head coaching job - what solid offensive mind is going to want to use that shot to come here and try to mold one of Geno Smith, some middling FA QB (Jake Locker), and a third round draft pick into an NFL caliber QB?

So ultimately the Jets get a plan C or D candidate who, shockingly, will not have success. Because he's coming into a poor situation that nobody decent would choose to come into, and isn't nearly good enough to make things better.

If they had the draft pick, maybe there was enough appeal for someone good to take this job. I would have had some hope. Now? I'd be stunned if they land any of the candidates we want. And the cycle will just continue.

The benefit to losing that game wasn't entirely about being in a position to draft a quarterback. It were about what the opportunity to draft a quarterback might have meant for finding someone to help lead this franchise in the right direction. And with the sixth overall pick, some cap space, Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, and what - maybe Nick Mangold? - as the selling points, I'm not going to hold my breath for them to get that done.

hey the jets arent that bad if you get a decent QB

some DB's

Number 1 WR

RG/RT that can actually block and not cause team to go in opp direction because of flags

OLB that teams actually afraid of

aww f**k yeah they suck ass

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. You're one of the special people. 

In 1940, New York state had a population of 13,179,142. In 2010, New York State had a population of 19,378,102.

That's a more than 50% INCREASE. New Jersey's population more than doubled in that time frame from just over 4 million to about 8.5 million.

Not all of those people were born there. That's ridiculous.

The reason New York has fewer seats in congress in spite of it's population growth is because other parts of the country grew at a higher rate and there are two more states now than there were in 1940. 

]

And why did the other areas of the country grew at greater rate?  Are you going to tell me that flight from the northeast rust belt has not occurred over the last 50 years.. or that people in  Cal, the south and the bible belt just have more babies?

A lot of people just don't like the pace of life up here, the people are not as friendly to outsiders.  We are immune to it as it is what we are accustomed to. 

]

And why did the other areas of the country grew at greater rate? Are you going to tell me that flight from the northeast rust belt has not occurred over the last 50 years.. or that people in Cal, the south and the bible belt just have more babies?

A lot of people just don't like the pace of life up here, the people are not as friendly to outsiders. We are immune to it as it is what we are accustomed to.

Yet the NY metro area's population keeps growing.

You said "no one wants to live in the Northeast."

Clearly you are wrong as more and more people keep living there.

hey the jets arent that bad if you get a decent QB

some DB's

Number 1 WR

RG/RT that can actually block and not cause team to go in opp direction because of flags

OLB that teams actually afraid of

aww f**k yeah they suck ass

As I was writing that post trying to come up with building block players, I realized that there aren't many. Not that there aren't other good players on the team, but nobody's going to come to the Jets because they've got Chris Ivory, Eric Decker, D'Brickashaw Ferguson (at this point in his career), Demario Davis, Quinton Coples, Damon Harrison, and maybe Percy Harvin. Dee Milliner I guess if he comes back healthy and returns to late 2013 form - which is a big if.

Not like there's really young guys with upside who seem like decent bets to end up being good players either. Amaro I guess, maybe Pryor turns things around. McDougle if he can ever stay healthy (again a big if). Coples and Milliner probably fit more into this category than the first one. It's a mess.

As I was writing that post trying to come up with building block players, I realized that there aren't many. Not that there aren't other good players on the team, but nobody's going to come to the Jets because they've got Chris Ivory, Eric Decker, D'Brickashaw Ferguson (at this point in his career), Demario Davis, Quinton Coples, Damon Harrison, and maybe Percy Harvin. Dee Milliner I guess if he comes back healthy and returns to late 2013 form - which is a big if.

Not like there's really young guys with upside who seem like decent bets to end up being good players either. Amaro I guess, maybe Pryor turns things around. McDougle if he can ever stay healthy (again a big if). Coples and Milliner probably fit more into this category than the first one. It's a mess.

I have to say I'm a big IK fan....I think he will turn out to be best pick of that draft.

Yet the NY metro area's population keeps growing.

You said "no one wants to live in the Northeast."

Clearly you are wrong as more and more people keep living there.

I said "most" people don't want to live in the northeast not "no one" which would be wrong from the get go as I want to live here. And please do not misquote me deliberately, it took effort for you to add those quote marks. 

I have to say I'm a big IK fan....I think he will turn out to be best pick of that draft.

Definitely flashed some talent, may or may not be a good scheme fit for whatever defense the Jets are running next year. But I'm not positive he's on the roster next season - whereas I am with those other guys. Enunwa's another one with upside, but again I'm not sure he ends up making a roster.

Archived