Experience a must for new head coach

Smizzy

Experience a must for new head coach

BY KEN BERGER

STAFF WRITER

Published January 8 2006

The Jets wasted no time lining up candidates to interview for their head-coaching vacancy, arranging to bring in Rams interim head coach Joe Vitt as early as tomorrow.

Vitt, 51, is a surprising name to find on the Jets' list, although he's worked in Philadelphia and Kansas City, former homes of Jets general manager Terry Bradway. He was the Rams' linebackers coach before ascending to interim head coach when Mike Martz fell ill this season.

The last linebackers coach the Jets hired as their head coach was Al Groh, who lasted one season.

Owner Woody Johnson's marching orders for the hire apparently are to find someone with prior head-coaching experience. That approach could help the candidacies of several people, including former Giants coach Jim Fassel, former Packers coach Mike Sherman and former Lions and 49ers coach Steve Mariucci - who is represented by Herman Edwards' agent, Gary O'Hagan.

Former Saints coach Jim Haslett, who also satisfies Johnson's requirement, is expected to interview later this week. So are the Jets' top three assistants - offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger, defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson and special-teams coach Mike Westhoff. Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis is expected to interview tomorrow, the same day Bradway has tentatively scheduled news conference to discuss Edwards and the team's plans.

Henderson interviewed Friday in San Antonio for the Saints' head job. His future with the Jets is uncertain, given his apparent appeal as a head-coaching candidate and the fact that Edwards hired him and was a big supporter.

Attempts to reach Edwards, who continues to stay out of the spotlight, again were unsuccessful. In fact, Edwards is so adamant about keeping quiet that he was reported to have met with Chiefs president Carl Peterson in Philadelphia, not New York, on Friday. Edwards played nine seasons as a cornerback for the Eagles and Peterson was on Dick Vermeil's staff early in Edwards' career.

Fallout from Edwards' messy departure from the Jets continued yesterday.

Current Cleveland Brown and former Jet Ray Mickens, who played for Edwards from 2001-04, thought the coach had the staying power for a long tenure in New York.

"He's definitely a guy I thought was going to be there for years and years, sort of like Bill Cowher was in Pittsburgh," Mickens said. "He knows how to handle the media better than a lot of the coaches that came through New York."

Mickens spoke with several former teammates and current Jets who weren't surprised at all that Edwards left, given the weeks of rampant speculation that he would land in Kansas City.

"I think that from a consensus, everybody felt like something was going to happen, even though [Edwards said] the things that you're supposed to say when you're in the middle of a season," Mickens said.

"I think it's perfect timing for Herm and Kansas City. I know that's a job he really wanted, and I know he and his family are happy."

I've read quotes of Ray Mickens saying edwards lost the team and the players weren't responding to edwards and the he comes out with this quote:

"He's definitely a guy I thought was going to be there for years and years, sort of like Bill Cowher was in Pittsburgh," Mickens said. "He knows how to handle the media better than a lot of the coaches that came through New York."

Has Mickens been eating retard sandwiches again? :shock:

I've read quotes of Ray Mickens saying edwards lost the team and the players weren't responding to edwards and the he comes out with this quote:

Has Mickens been eating retard sandwiches again? :shock:

Well, here's the part of Mickens quote that really floored me..."I know that's a job he really wanted" (meaning the HCing Chiefs job)...oh, really? I wonder how many others thought that same thing?

Archived