Woody Hiring Charlie Casserly as consultant (MERGED)

Seth

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at any team's past two drafts  - show me the dozens of players on those teams that are contributing . You can't . Drafts are a crapshoot , your lucky to hit on 3 or 4 players in each draft , plus there are usually guys who don't emerge until the 2nd , 3rd , 4th years. Its waaaaaaay too early to deem this years draft as garbage especially when we have players that are still an unknown(Macdougle/Evans/IK/Reilly/Dozier/Enumwa) .

It's drafts + FA, considering you included FA pick ups. You honestly mean to tell me that I can't find any teams that have picked up more then 3 strong contributors in the last 2 years?

Ahh w/e.. Idzik has done a great job dismantling the team, only the Shane Brains seem to think that is skill..

I'm sure HC's will be lined up to the lincoln tunnel to take this job, seeing how Idzik has us positioned as the next logical dynasty

If the QB is bad, a coach doesn't have to start him for four seasons.

I find it hard to believe that Rex Ryan, coaching for his job, would choose Geno over Vick. "for evaluation" 

it's a sad statement but Vick is the best QB the Jets have had on their roster since Ryan was hired.

It's drafts + FA, considering you included FA pick ups. You honestly mean to tell me that I can't find any teams that have picked up more then 3 strong contributors in the last 2 years?

Ahh w/e.. Idzik has done a great job dismantling the team, only the Shane Brains seem to think that is skill..

I'm sure HC's will be lined up to the lincoln tunnel to take this job, seeing how Idzik has us positioned as the next logical dynasty

What FA pickups would that be , I think all I listed were drafted by us.  Anyways, 3 or 4 per draft , its a lot harder than you think , you'll find some but the idea that even good GM's hit all the time in the draft  is ludicrous. Most here saw 12 picks this draft and thought man the Jets are going to be instant contenders.  Did Idzik do a great job, in hindsight no , but as I said still too early to fully evaluate. 

And I still don't get the HC's being scared with a GM in place , this happens with probably 80% of HC firings, its very rare that both HC/GM go and even muchhhhh rarer where the GM goes and the HC stays. 

That's part of the problem here....He really hasn't had two years...His first year he had nothing to do but dump salary.  

Another question, with even average QB play what's the record of this team? This team is poised to be very competitive...With the available cap space and the high draft position - this is actually a pretty attractive job for potential HC candidates.  

They need to find a QB - but very few HC jobs come available that have the QB job secured.

What FA pickups would that be , I think all I listed were drafted by us.  Anyways, 3 or 4 per draft , its a lot harder than you think , 

I was talking to someone else about the lack of talent on this roster, he named kerley, snacks, ivory, decker.. etc .. thought you were the same guy

That's part of the problem here....He really hasn't had two years...His first year he had nothing to do but dump salary.  

Another question, with even average QB play what's the record of this team? This team is poised to be very competitive...With the available cap space and the high draft position - this is actually a pretty attractive job for potential HC candidates.  

They need to find a QB - but very few HC jobs come available that have the QB job secured.

Yes, they need to find a QB.....

Finding a QB would've won us a SB in 2009.. but that's besides the point...

And he has had 2 years, having a salary cap issue is not a get out of performing free card. The fact that the team has actually gotten worse is only a further indictment

I'll believe it when I see it...anyone thinking casserly might tell Woody otherwise?

Much stranger sh*t has happened with this team

he's gotta go, like Sanchez post butt fumble, he can't survive 3-13

This idea that we're going to find a better coach so easily is what's inane. We hire Bevell or someone similiar, draft a QB who sucks and we'll be 3-13 2 years from now too.

Oh wait!!!

Casserly hired Kubiak right?

And I'm the biggest effin Kubiak fan on this effin site!!' I'm a genius! I'm a genius!! I can't wait to tell my wife!! I'm gonna demand oral immediately after I tell her!! She'll have no choice to agree...considering I'm a genius and all!!

Yes, they need to find a QB.....

Finding a QB would've won us a SB in 2009.. but that's besides the point...

And he has had 2 years, having a salary cap issue is not a get out of performing free card. The fact that the team has actually gotten worse is only a further indictment

I guess that's where we differ most.  I was always under the impression this team was going to get worse before it got better.  That's what I believe it takes to rebuild.

I'm tired of 9-7, sneak into the playoffs and hope for some miraculous run.  I would much rather attempt to build a team that can have long term success and be perennial Super Bowl contender.  That was Idzik's plan...Unfortunately for him (and through that most Jet fans) he won't be allowed to do that.

any GM is going to be too scared not to spend the full cap and what we'll get is more overpriced talent and a very average team that may or may not sneak into the playoffs.

Jet fans are happy with 8 and 9 win teams - people keep their jobs with that - Idzik was trying to build something more..

I guess that's where we differ most. I was always under the impression this team was going to get worse before it got better. That's what I believe it takes to rebuild.

I'm tired of 9-7, sneak into the playoffs and hope for some miraculous run. I would much rather attempt to build a team that can have long term success and be perennial Super Bowl contender. That was Idzik's plan...Unfortunately for him (and through that most Jet fans) he won't be allowed to do that.

any GM is going to be too scared not to spend the full cap and what we'll get is more overpriced talent and a very average team that may or may not sneak into the playoffs.

Jet fans are happy with 8 and 9 win teams - people keep their jobs with that - Idzik was trying to build something more..

Is anyone getting scared by the fact that fidelio is making sense when it comes to Idzyk ?

...sticking with Geno is the thing that I keep coming back to...

After witnessing genos football IQ, performance on the field, and then listening to him speak I am completely baffled by the following...

What could have POSSIBLY convinced Idzyk during predraft interviews that Geno was a guy to QB an NFL team? Every time I see Geno play or speak this is the thought that enters my brain. It's completely effin baffling!!

Here's some good news----I don't pretend to know casserly, but, by the little I DO know, I feel there's no way on hell he would have drafted Geno. So we got that going for us.

Is anyone getting scared by the fact that fidelio is making sense when it comes to Idzyk ?

...sticking with Geno is the thing that I keep coming back to...

After witnessing genos football IQ, performance on the field, and then listening to him speak I am completely baffled by the following...

What could have POSSIBLY convinced Idzyk during predraft interviews that Geno was a guy to QB an NFL team? Every time I see Geno play or speak this is the thought that enters my brain. It's completely effin baffling!!

I've said this many times - Geno was his main problem.  Had Geno been even average for a young QB and not, literally, the worst QB in the NFL for two years this team would be a very different position right now.  

Yes, he deserves a lot of blame for that - but how many GM's miss on QB's?  it happens ALL the time. 

I think, though, that if Idzik was going to try to build the team that way, which is to say that he was focusing more on the draft than he was in FA, then he needed to do a far better job than he had done so far in order to keep his job.

Even if the team is going through a rebuild, part of the GM's job is to build a competitive roster.  That did not happen this year.  The CB position was poorly managed to the extreme, as it was not a sound decision at all to count on Milliner and the rest of that group to either be healthy or to be up to the task of covering NFL WRs.  They proved they were incapable of doing neither of those tasks, and the bulk of the blame for that has to fall on Idzik, especially when fairly cheap alternatives, such as Cromartie, were out there who could have helped the team while not dipping too much into that precious $20 million or whatever it was he was looking to roll over to the next season.

Idzik's mishandling of the WR position in the draft is, all by itself IMO, reason enough to fire him.  The Jets are the only team to draft a WR and not have them make a reception in a regular season game.  Other teams made off with, in some cases franchise-type players and others ended up with very strong contributors at the position, while we ended up with a group of receivers who were out-produced by a fullback.

Maybe Idzik's plan could have worked, but he needed to do a better job of selling it.  He looked clueless at just about every turn, and that hurts the customer's confidence in the organization and, therefore, Woody's bottom line.  He preached competition at every position and the we have a sham of a QB competition in which the better player of the two didn't start until the season had already slipped away and all we were playing for was pride.  That's not to say that starting Vick from the get-go means that we're suddenly playoff contenders because that's not the case either, but, somewhat ironically, had we done that, perhaps neither Idzik nor Ryan would be looking for jobs come next Monday.  

I guess that's where we differ most.  I was always under the impression this team was going to get worse before it got better.  That's what I believe it takes to rebuild.

I'm tired of 9-7, sneak into the playoffs and hope for some miraculous run.  I would much rather attempt to build a team that can have long term success and be perennial Super Bowl contender.  That was Idzik's plan...Unfortunately for him (and through that most Jet fans) he won't be allowed to do that.

As if anyone else coming in won't "plan" to build something that has long term success. Lol. Idzik can plan for such a thing until he's blue in the face. If he's not qualified to properly evaluate talent, he's not gonna build anything. 

And as far as spending goes, the Jets are required to spend heavily over the next two years under the CBA rules being that they were so low in Idzik's first two years. 

Oh wait!!!

And I'm the biggest effin Kubiak fan on this effin site!!' I'm a genius! I'm a genius!! I can't wait to tell my wife!! I'm gonna demand oral immediately after I tell her!! She'll have no choice to agree...considering I'm a genius and all!!

Casserly's record isn't spotless but it's a helluva lot better than Idzik's.

This Jet fan isn't. The whole reason I was anti chad pretty much from 2003 on is cause I knew the guy topped out at WC round.

Idzik is too conservative and thus won't win anything. His primary goal was to make certain he didn't over pay for anything.... that is fine and dandy when you are maximizing available resources, not when you are underutilizing them just to avoid paying over whatever arbitrary value he's defined for a player. He's the guy in 2009 that wouldn't take 5k off his house to sell it and instead held out for his price and has since chased the market down to where he'd be happy now to get 80% of what he was originally offered. 

I can't understand how anyone is ok with a lost season and 20M on the bench. Just don't get it.

...sticking with Geno is the thing that I keep coming back to... After witnessing genos football IQ, performance on the field, and then listening to him speak I am completely baffled by the following... What could have POSSIBLY convinced Idzyk during predraft interviews that Geno was a guy to QB an NFL team? Every time I see Geno play or speak this is the thought that enters my brain. It's completely effin baffling!! Here's some good news----I don't pretend to know casserly, but, by the little I DO know, I feel there's no way on hell he would have drafted Geno. So we got that going for us.

The way Idzik drafts he looks at the depth chart and looks at official player rankings by position and just picks and plucks with total lack of regard of the individual.  That's why you end up with Geno over Mike Glennon.  That's why you end up with Calvin Pryor over Brandin Cooks.  Any 15 year old Jet fan can do the same thing and that's a big reason why the roster is a hot mess right now.

This Jet fan isn't. The whole reason I was anti chad pretty much from 2003 on is cause I knew the guy topped out at WC round.

Idzik is too conservative and thus won't win anything. His primary goal was to make certain he didn't over pay for anything.... that is fine and dandy when you are maximizing available resources, not when you are underutilizing them just to avoid paying over whatever arbitrary value he's defined for a player. He's the guy in 2009 that wouldn't take 5k off his house to sell it and instead held out for his price and has since chased the market down to where he'd be happy now to get 80% of what he was originally offered. 

I can't understand how anyone is ok with a lost season and 20M on the bench. Just don't get it.

Too bad the one guy Idzik overpaid for is the clown in your sig.  $4 million for Mike Vick without the speed and elusiveness?  So I get Mike Vick without the mobility wow!

Oh wait!!!

Man I am not sure what is funnier, what you wrote or you being a fan kubiak

Whatevs....awesome!

Psst..there's a minimum you have to spend in a four year period. He's way below that and now you HAVE to make signing you might not necessarily make. Does that sound like a solid plan?

You know, you have to get worse in order to get even worse, too. Nothing Idzik has done, absolutely nothing has indicated that he's got the second part of your equation down. He has the getting worse part down to a science, though.

Seriously this just feels like people are always going to bitch just to bitch. What don't you like about this?

His "hair"? 

The way Idzik drafts he looks at the depth chart and looks at official player rankings by position and just picks and plucks with total lack of regard of the individual.  That's why you end up with Geno over Mike Glennon.  That's why you end up with Calvin Pryor over Brandin Cooks.  Any 15 year old Jet fan can do the same thing and that's a big reason why the roster is a hot mess right now.

That is how you end up with Jalen Saunders?  

What player did you want Idzik to overpay for again?

What player did you want Idzik to overpay for again?

Any one of the half dozen CB's Rex probably asked for..  then I wanted him to stay out of it when it was time to select a starting QB.

Those 2 things and your hero probably wouldn't be getting the ax a week from today.

Man I am not sure what is funnier, what you wrote or you being a fan kubiak

Whatevs....awesome!

What's wrong with Kubiak? He runs a good offense. He has HC experience. He did well in Houston with Matt effin Schaub....then Matt effin Schaub turned into Matt effin Schaub the next year and he was done.

I'm a believer in Kubiak.

Because this team wasn't winning anyway this year.  I would rather have saved the money for when they can win....It didn't work and he's going to lose his job for it - but I just feel it's pre-mature.  You're asking for exactly what you said you don't want.  If he spent the money this team would have maybe won 8 games (maybe) and Idzik would still have his job....

The money wasn't spent because he didn't know what Geno was - If Geno turned out to be a quality starter Idzik likely would have went all in in '15.  He missed on his QB - that's why they have 3 wins.

Psst..there's a minimum you have to spend in a four year period. He's way below that and now you HAVE to make signing you might not necessarily make. Does that sound like a solid plan?

You know, you have to get worse in order to get even worse, too. Nothing Idzik has done, absolutely nothing has indicated that he's got the second part of your equation down. He has the getting worse part down to a science, though.

Are you saying you believe the Jets will have a hard time spending the required cap money?

I just don't see that at all...The more money the better

Doesn't the guys judgment regarding FA signings and draft picks sort of relate to the people he thinks are well suited to make those decisions? The general philosophy of the guys that he might recommend?

Then the Jets shouldn't hire anyone because no GM / Talent Evaluator hits on all their decisions.

Archived